Menu

AoPS Alcumus? AoPS experiences

Yes!  It's awesome.  I think it's a great idea to use it over the summer to keep up with skills, and any time for added challenge.  My dd is using it, a little "behind" where she is in textbook math.  But once she turns the bars blue, I feel pretty confident that she has actually mastered the topic. I don't have that same confidence with passing a topic in Khan or other online programs I've seen.   I also like that the videos are right there for her to review if she needs to, also.

• Like 1

Yes! It's awesome. I think it's a great idea to use it over the summer to keep up with skills, and any time for added challenge. My dd is using it, a little "behind" where she is in textbook math. But once she turns the bars blue, I feel pretty confident that she has actually mastered the topic. I don't have that same confidence with passing a topic in Khan or other online programs I've seen. I also like that the videos are right there for her to review if she needs to, also.

Agree with everything except that here, for my sample of 1, turning something blue is not really an indication of anything :( we master (turning blue) and unmaster and master again early and often.
  • Like 3

Agree with everything except that here, for my sample of 1, turning something blue is not really an indication of anything :( we master (turning blue) and unmaster and master again early and often.

:grouphug:

My boys have pre-teen brain fog sometimes which resembles my caffeine deficit fog.

My silly boys finally have their accounts today instead of using mine and they have been spending the last hour playing For the Win :P. They friend each other on Alcumus though :lol:

ETA:

They add me as a friend too :)

:grouphug:

My boys have pre-teen brain fog sometimes which resembles my caffeine deficit fog.

My silly boys finally have their accounts today instead of using mine and they have been spending the last hour playing For the Win :P. They friend each other on Alcumus though :lol:

How did you overcome the email situation? They want unique emails for each account, but kids under 12 or 13 aren't allowed to have private emails. Drives me nuts that we can't all use the same.

I admire anybody who can do Alcumus without a full program. DS has no trouble with it now, but when we attempted it prior to using the textbook, it was tough.

How did you overcome the email situation? They want unique emails for each account, but kids under 12 or 13 aren't allowed to have private emails. Drives me nuts that we can't all use the same.

I have an email account in yahoo, hotmail and gmail. So I put my hotmail address for one child and my gmail address for another child. I had been using my yahoo address for my own Alcumus account.

• Like 1

How long did it take them to approve your consent letters? I emailed mine back right away, we are still waiting for dd's account to be approved and unlocked.

I emailed at 8:25pm PST and it was unlocked the next day by 9:55am PST which was pretty fast.

• Like 1

How did you overcome the email situation? They want unique emails for each account, but kids under 12 or 13 aren't allowed to have private emails. 

Not that I'm advocating this, naturally, but most people just fudge their child's birth year when signing them up for an email account.

We use Alcumus alongside AoPS, so I can't speak to the OP.

• Like 1

Allowed by whom?  My kids each have an email under my account.  I monitor their emails and can reset passwords, set up blocks, etc..

Allowed by whom? My kids each have an email under my account. I monitor their emails and can reset passwords, set up blocks, etc..

Do you mean "under your account?" extra account under your name? I should have done that. I tried opening a google account for DS and it would let me, citing his age and Federal law.