Menu

UMass Amherst Transcripts -- Anyone have a success story?

Maura in NY

My son was accepted to UMass Amherst with my mommy transcript, (brag alert -- with merit scholarship & Honors College offer) but there is a page in the acceptance folder with the dreaded requirement for an official transcript from our district (not happening in NY) or homeschool association or agency. (Yes, I know about the GED option. Let's not open that discussion here.)

As far as I can tell, the word "association" does not have a specific legal meaning, and in previous email and phone call discussions with admissions, I got the sense of a nudge-nudge, wink-wink, "Isn't there SOME association that can help you?" So, my plan is to create a more generic school-y looking transcript and have it authorized by the homeschooling support group we have belonged to for 14 years. The are a legal entity (for insurance purposes), with a board, guidelines, etc. The president & vice president have known my son since he was 4.

I would really just like to hear that someone else has been successful getting past the UMass gate keepers with a similar transcript. My worst case scenario would be that ds chooses this school, tells all the others "thanks, but no thanks", and then in July he's told he can't go.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Maura

I'll :bigear: too...

I do know some homeschoolers attending or about to attend UMass.  I only know the details of admin for two of them, though.

One had a lot of DE credits.  He didn't end up taking the GED, but neither did they tell him he didn't have to.  I'm not sure if he's going to 'get away' with skipping it, and if so, if that's going to be due to all the DE credits, or if they just forgot to make sure he took it, and if it's the latter I'd be worried they'd 'remember' right before diploma-time.  His mom told me they asked for it earlier in the process but then didn't insist on it before he matriculated, she's going to hope it just 'goes away'.  But that's not exactly a plan that can be followed...

The other person I know just got accepted and will attend in the fall.  I asked his mom if he'd managed to skip the GED.  Nope, she just had him take it and wondered why that was an issue. :glare:

UMass is definitely a school on my homeschooled dd's list, so if anyone knows for sure a way around the GED for this school, I'd love to hear it too... :bigear:  I'm pondering if it comes down to it getting NARHS to give an 'approved' transcript retroactively - they will do this, but it's $, of course.

I think that rather than take any chances, when we visit or before, we are going to ask directly who will be determining whether the final transcript is acceptable. And then we will ask that person for an explanation/definition of an "official transcript from a homeschooling association or agency." If we feel we can provide what they are requiring, we will ask them to confirm that definition in writing.

Sound like a plan?

I'm fairly certain that their rules all boil down to misinformation about the federal law concerning homeschoolers and federal aid. I'm just surprised that no one has taken them to task for it yet to get the rules changed.

• Like 8

I think that rather than take any chances, when we visit or before, we are going to ask directly who will be determining whether the final transcript is acceptable. And then we will ask that person for an explanation/definition of an "official transcript from a homeschooling association or agency." If we feel we can provide what they are requiring, we will ask them to confirm that definition in writing.

Sound like a plan?

I'm fairly certain that their rules all boil down to misinformation about the federal law concerning homeschoolers and federal aid. I'm just surprised that no one has taken them to task for it yet to get the rules changed.

Yeah, especially since right here in MA, there is no such thing as a 'homeschooling association or agency'.  In our state, we just go through the local school district, who approves our plan, but does not offer any transcript or diploma, and we do not have a single cover or umbrella school homschool 'assocation or agency' of any kind!  There is simply no provision for that structure in our state - so why does our flagship university have a bug up its butt about our having such a thing???  They will not accept something we could actually provide (4 years of approval letters from the district for our high school plans).  Their requirement is completely and utterly misaligned with the structure of homeschooling requirements in MA.  It would actually be much easier for homeschoolers from other states with regulations that provide for cover/umbrella schools or somesuch - but we've got nothing.

None of the other state universities require this, just UMass Amherst.  It's bizarro.  And really, really, really annoying.

Don't you guys in NY have some kind of provision to get a state diploma or sanctioned transcript or something-or-other if you jump through the right hoops?

• Like 1

Don't you guys in NY have some kind of provision to get a state diploma or sanctioned transcript or something-or-other if you jump through the right hoops?

Basically in order for a college/uni in NY to grant a college degree a student has to have a high school diploma, GED, 24 college credits resembling something like a high school education (so a liberal arts program would easily cover that), or a letter from a superintendent stating the student's homeschooling plan was substantially equivalent to a public school.  The letter nor the credits leads to any actual high school diploma though.  This does not mean a college cannot accept someone without any of those.  It's supposed to pertain to granting the degree at the end.  The only colleges I have heard that follow that are state schools or community college type places.  I've come across a few misinterpretations of this regulation too.  For example, one of the local CCs claims on their website that one must have these items to be accepted into a degree granting program and they claim they are following the same procedure as used by SUNY.  I read the "procedure" from SUNY and it does not state that.  That is an old regulation that I believe was reworded so maybe the information is out dated or maybe they really just aren't interpreting it correctly. This does not pertain to schools outside of NY.  I've read requirements for several private schools in NY that don't talk about that part either.  And like I said, if one goes to a 4 year liberal arts college they would pretty much automatically fulfill the 24 credit option just by taking courses required for the degree anyway. 

Hey, (sorry, a bit of a bunny trail) but do any of you NY people know how the SUNY colleges are for homeschooled kids without mommy transcripts?  Our more 'affordable' options are probably UMass Amherst or a SUNY school (SUNY out-of-state tuition is about the same as MA schools in-state tuition - can you believe it?? - we're just screwed here in MA), of course those seem to be some of the schools hardest to attend with just a mommy transcript.

So, should I just bite the bullet and call NARHS?   :glare:  Or is there hope?

Hey, (sorry, a bit of a bunny trail) but do any of you NY people know how the SUNY colleges are for homeschooled kids without mommy transcripts?  Our more 'affordable' options are probably UMass Amherst or a SUNY school (SUNY out-of-state tuition is about the same as MA schools in-state tuition - can you believe it?? - we're just screwed here in MA), of course those seem to be some of the schools hardest to attend with just a mommy transcript.

What is NARHS?

What other transcript would a homeschooled student have besides a "mommy transcript"? 

We ran into issues with different schools not understanding the laws governing homeschooling in different states, but how bizarre when it doesn't even match their own state laws.

I am seriously considering homeschooling under a different law in our state by becoming a private school. I wonder how that would affect applications.

• Like 2

What is NARHS?

What other transcript would a homeschooled student have besides a "mommy transcript"? 

NARHS is North Atlantic Regional High School.  They seem to be the easiest way to get an outside transcript as a homeschooler while still doing your own thing.  They still require you to submit lots of stuff, but they don't require any courses dd isn't planning on taking (like Religion/Ethics or US Govt).  They used to be out of Maine, and technically I think they still issue their transcripts out of Maine, but the new person running it is now in Oregon or something.  They lost accreditation but I think they have it back now - there was some shake-up a while back and the admin changed.  I'd need to check into it again.

• Like 1

We ran into issues with different schools not understanding the laws governing homeschooling in different states, but how bizarre when it doesn't even match their own state laws.

I am seriously considering homeschooling under a different law in our state by becoming a private school. I wonder how that would affect applications.

Yeah, see, we don't have the private school option either.  Or homeschool charters.  Or state cover schools.  The only thing we have is that we have to send in an education plan for approval to the local school district.  I will have all my approval letters; I am doing everything there is (and the only thing I can) to be fully legal in this state.  There is no other way or option, even if I wanted it.  But it seems UMass has absolutely no idea what the regulations are in this state at all (and it must have been pointed out for years by other homeschoolers going through this??)

• Like 3

NARHS is North Atlantic Regional High School.  They seem to be the easiest way to get an outside transcript as a homeschooler while still doing your own thing.  They still require you to submit lots of stuff, but they don't require any courses dd isn't planning on taking (like Religion/Ethics or US Govt).  They used to be out of Maine, and technically I think they still issue their transcripts out of Maine, but the new person running it is now in Oregon or something.  They lost accreditation but I think they have it back now - there was some shake-up a while back and the admin changed.  I'd need to check into it again.

I'll look that up.

Well here is the kicker to that too.  Some interpret the law that any correspondence school of any type doesn't count.  I mean some schools in NY do that.  According to one of my local CCs they don't take a high school diploma issued from a correspondence school.  The regulation does not say that.  It says it must be from a school that is accredited from certain accrediting agencies.  I mean what the heck?!  Again, I think this is just a misinterpretation of the regulation.  I'd say well private school they can do what they want, but they aren't private. 

I considered having my son do an on-line high school program where at the end he'll have a real high school diploma.  There are several options like that.  He didn't particularly like the option because it wouldn't really be much different than just going to the local high school.  And then it gives me pause to think NY state schools might not view it all that highly anyway.  So why bother?! 

I don't see why the super won't give me a letter in the end.  I've asked around and most people have not had an issue with getting the letter.  The worst I've heard is the district didn't quite get what they were supposed to write in that letter. 

I feel bad.  I don't want to make things extra difficult for my kids in the end.  KWIM?  He absolutely has no desire to go to the local school.  I don't blame him. 

Sparkly, just to reassure you a little bit, we know a large number of families that have had kids matriculate directly into the SUNY system with little to no problem. Most had the super letter, but some went the 24 credit route because their kids wanted to take CC courses and it was their first choice option for high school. There are a couple of districts out my way that can be prickly regarding the letter, but they are in the minority by far. Only two come to mind out of many.

• Like 2

Sparkly, just to reassure you a little bit, we know a large number of families that have had kids matriculate directly into the SUNY system with little to no problem. Most had the super letter, but some went the 24 credit route because their kids wanted to take CC courses and it was their first choice option for high school. There are a couple of districts out my way that can be prickly regarding the letter, but they are in the minority by far. Only two come to mind out of many.

That's good.  I do plan to have DS take CC courses, but no clue how many.  At least we have options with CCs.  We have two on the bus line. 

No advice on the transcript part, but just wanted to say I have two kids at UMass and they LOVE it there.

The food is amazing. #2 in the country for food. I get jealous of the gourmet stuff they get to eat. The campus has some really beautiful spots (the fall season is especially nice), the activities are endless, and the town of Amherst is really nice. They were voted the #1 college town.

• Like 1

No advice on the transcript part, but just wanted to say I have two kids at UMass and they LOVE it there.

The food is amazing. #2 in the country for food. I get jealous of the gourmet stuff they get to eat. The campus has some really beautiful spots (the fall season is especially nice), the activities are endless, and the town of Amherst is really nice. They were voted the #1 college town.

LOL on the food.  Wasn't so great when I was there!  I'd escape the 'regular' dining commons and go to the vegetarian one (even though I'm not a vegetarian) and the Kosher one (even though I'm not Kosher) to escape the endless mac'n' cheese, burgers and sloppy joe type food.

I did love UMass, though. :)

• Like 1

I'm with ya on the food. I sometimes think my kids should have to suffer a little bit at college like I did! When I went to college the food was horrendous, the cafeteria hours were short and the choices were limited. Now they have award winning chefs and cafe's that are open 24 hours - they even have delivery to the dorm rooms!

• Like 3

It depends on the SUNY school. Dd had enough college credits that Geneseo didn't need a high school diploma or GED. Some schools want  one or the other and others will wait the first year until you have enough credits for the GED by college credit. I know many homeschoolers in SUNY schools.

• Like 1

Geneseo didn't ask for anything for my son( entered with no previous credits), but we do have the Super's letter. He had acceptances and large merit awards at private and public schools in PA, NY, and Vermont, and only one of them, UPitt, I believe, wanted the letter.

Hm.  I wonder what a SUNY school would want from someone in MA.  I will have all the approval letters from the years she'll have homeschooled (she was in ps for 9th and 10th, then homeschooled for 11th/12th)... 

Hm.  I wonder what a SUNY school would want from someone in MA.  I will have all the approval letters from the years she'll have homeschooled (she was in ps for 9th and 10th, then homeschooled for 11th/12th)... 

Are you definitely not wanting her to take the GREs? NY State offers a GRE by college credit which is easily accomplished with a year of college. It's worth a discussion with admission people. Pick a couple of schools you are interested in and contact them. If any are near me I'll ask around.

• Like 1

Are you definitely not wanting her to take the GREs? NY State offers a GRE by college credit which is easily accomplished with a year of college. It's worth a discussion with admission people. Pick a couple of schools you are interested in and contact them. If any are near me I'll ask around.

Wait, what's a GRE?  Isn't that an admission exam for grad school, or am I getting completely confused??

I also wonder what a SUNY school wants from an out-of-stater.  We are in Virginia and DD has her eye on a few SUNY schools.

My son was accepted to UMass Amherst School of Engineering, Honours program, with a scholarship two years ago. At the time, I exchanged a number of emails with the admissions department. Acceptance isn't a problem. Financial aid just wanted to see our four approval letters (as did our community college and the other colleges my children attend/attended). The problem is matriculation (being accepted into a degree program). I quoted the Mass. homeschooling law at them. They wouldn't budge. Our public school liason did some research for us in an effort to try to find some sort of letter he could legally write that UMass would accept. No luck. My son wanted to go elsewhere and was accepted, so it wasn't an issue at the time, but I pushed because if my son became unhappy in his current school, he could well end up transfering there. (He loves his school - so far it isn't a problem.) He himself thought the whole issue was silly. He said he'd just take the GED exam if necessary. I am not happy with that option, although I'm not sure why. I pushed UMass Amherst admissions department as hard as I could without getting a lawyer or someone else involved. No success. I can't think I am the first to do this. At this point, I have concluded that unless someone threatens them, we are all stuck waiting for the ignorant person who is behind this policy to move on to another job or retire.

Nan

• Like 1

My son was accepted to UMass Amherst School of Engineering, Honours program, with a scholarship two years ago. At the time, I exchanged a number of emails with the admissions department. Acceptance isn't a problem. Financial aid just wanted to see our four approval letters (as did our community college and the other colleges my children attend/attended). The problem is matriculation (being accepted into a degree program). I quoted the Mass. homeschooling law at them. They wouldn't budge. Our public school liason did some research for us in an effort to try to find some sort of letter he could legally write that UMass would accept. No luck. My son wanted to go elsewhere and was accepted, so it wasn't an issue at the time, but I pushed because if my son became unhappy in his current school, he could well end up transfering there. (He loves his school - so far it isn't a problem.) He himself thought the whole issue was silly. He said he'd just take the GED exam if necessary. I am not happy with that option, although I'm not sure why. I pushed UMass Amherst admissions department as hard as I could without getting a lawyer or someone else involved. No success. I can't think I am the first to do this. At this point, I have concluded that unless someone threatens them, we are all stuck waiting for the ignorant person who is behind this policy to move on to another job or retire.

Nan

I just got onto a Yahoo list for homeschooled kids going to CC.  There was some talk of this there too.  Other than the one person who I already talked about whose son they seem to have 'forgotten' to remind about the GED, everyone else seems to have rolled over and just had their kids take the GED. :glare:

I guess when/if we have to cross this bridge, I'll have to decide then if I should just fall in line and have dd take the GED, or do the retroactive NARHS thing (though the GED at that point does seem cheaper and easier....) :glare: :glare:

• Like 1

Wow, Nan. It sounds like you are right. Until someone decides to get lawyers involved, they won't budge. We've moved on and are done trying to get ds accepted, but I've written a letter that I will send to the director of admissions, the chancellor of the university, the dean of the college he was accepted to, and the dean of the honors college. Just on principle. I don't really expect a response, but I'll let post if I hear anything back.

We're not rolling over. I'm not going to open the argument about the GED -- the real question is WHY? What does it prove that they don't already know about the student?

• Like 2

No one mentioned it to my son.  I read about it on their admissions site and asked.  Maybe they would have "forgotten" to mention it to him?  I'd be worried that when it came time to hand my son his diploma, someone would tell him that he couldn't have it unless he took the GED.  This seems entirely in character for the UMass Amherst I know and love, sigh. 

Nan

No one mentioned it to my son.  I read about it on their admissions site and asked.  Maybe they would have "forgotten" to mention it to him?  I'd be worried that when it came time to hand my son his diploma, someone would tell him that he couldn't have it unless he took the GED.  This seems entirely in character for the UMass Amherst I know and love, sigh. 

This.  I worry a little about this on my friend's ds's behalf.  I guess I can let you all know what happens in two years when he graduates!

Nan, that was just where I stood -- I didn't want him to turn down his other opportunities and keep his fingers crossed -- only to find out that it was the GED or nothing. Actually, there was a case like (where a matriculated student at a CC was ready to graduate, when he was told he couldn't) that got the law clarified here in NY.

Nan, that was just where I stood -- I didn't want him to turn down his other opportunities and keep his fingers crossed -- only to find out that it was the GED or nothing. Actually, there was a case like (where a matriculated student at a CC was ready to graduate, when he was told he couldn't) that got the law clarified here in NY.

In which direction was it clarified? 

The law was clarified in favor of homeschoolers. The student (Paul Owens, in case you want to Google it) got his degree, and out of that case NY homeschoolers now have 5 ways to meet state school requirements. (GED, 24 specific college credits which can be earned while matriculated, letter from the superintendent attesting to a substantially equivalent education, passing 5 specific NYS high school tests called Regents exams, or an accredited diploma.) Unfortunately, not all the state schools know these rules, and some STILL give students a hard time.

• Like 2

I just got onto a Yahoo list for homeschooled kids going to CC.  There was some talk of this there too.  Other than the one person who I already talked about whose son they seem to have 'forgotten' to remind about the GED, everyone else seems to have rolled over and just had their kids take the GED. :glare:

I guess when/if we have to cross this bridge, I'll have to decide then if I should just fall in line and have dd take the GED, or do the retroactive NARHS thing (though the GED at that point does seem cheaper and easier....) :glare: :glare:

My quote function is not working right for some reason. This kind of drives me crazy. I see nothing wrong with just taking the GED, but lots of people say it has a negative connotation. So I hesitate. Seems like an easy way to just freaking get the high school diploma.

The law was clarified in favor of homeschoolers. The student (Paul Owens, in case you want to Google it) got his degree, and out of that case NY homeschoolers now have 5 ways to meet state school requirements. (GED, 24 specific college credits which can be earned while matriculated, letter from the superintendent attesting to a substantially equivalent education, passing 5 specific NYS high school tests called Regents exams, or an accredited diploma.) Unfortunately, not all the state schools know these rules, and some STILL give students a hard time.

Yes my local CC does ont seem to know the rules. They insist that a student must have the letter or the 24 credits prior to being accepted into a program. The regulation does not say that it is a requirement to be accepted into a program. So if they do it that way there would be no way to get any kind of financial aid. Although the cost of that place is pretty doable. Thankfully there is another CC a bit further, but still even on the bus line and they even have a page that states they are homeschooler friendly.

I wonder if HSLDA ever heard about this? This is the type of thing they love to get involved in, for better or worse...

I bet the craziness in NY is their fault. I have heard that before. I read a few articles some years ago that say they helped to craft the regulations in NY. Unfortunately, those articles have mysteriously disappeared off the Internet the last time I went looking for them. But I know what I read.

SparklyUnicorn - I know what you mean about the GED.  It seems like a nice, simple solution - diploma by exam.  And just when I'm thinking it is a pretty good idea, I think I vaguely remember something about not being able to say you are a high school graduate if you do this and this causing problems with some things like perhaps international uni's or jobs...

Nan

• Like 1

SparklyUnicorn - I know what you mean about the GED.  It seems like a nice, simple solution - diploma by exam.  And just when I'm thinking it is a pretty good idea, I think I vaguely remember something about not being able to say you are a high school graduate if you do this and this causing problems with some things like perhaps international uni's or jobs...

Nan

Yeah I know. So we won't use that route unless absolutely necessary. Lots of high schools still graduate people who basically just warm up a seat, and they don't have any sort of exit exams. So to me someone who can take an exam and pass it to show they have similar skills, how is that negative?! It seems to be more important to have taken up space than to have actually learned anything.

Here one can take what are essentially exit exams to satisfy that whole equivalent to a high school diploma, BUT I think it sucks that it does not lead to a high school diploma. So I don't think it's fair to have my kid study for these exams on top of the other exams he'll have to study for and you know the actual stuff he is studying on top of that for high school just to at the end get something not really recognized by anyone except maybe some community college in NY.

Nan

I would love to know what the actual possible problems are with taking the GED, because when I talk to the people who have had their kids take it (usually to get into UMass), they look at me like I have three heads when I say there could be any.

Their argument is, why would anyone ever have to know you took it once you get out of uni? 

And I'm wondering, why would anyone ever have to know if you didn't tell them??  How does/could it follow you if you never bring it up again after using it for what you needed it for that one time?

A bit off topic, but do you happen to know if those 24 college credit options have to be at the SUNY school, or can they be from other schools and transported in?

I would love to know what the actual possible problems are with taking the GED, because when I talk to the people who have had their kids take it (usually to get into UMass), they look at me like I have three heads when I say there could be any.

Their argument is, why would anyone ever have to know you took it once you get out of uni? 

And I'm wondering, why would anyone ever have to know if you didn't tell them??  How does/could it follow you if you never bring it up again after using it for what you needed it for that one time?

I lean towards agreeing with "who would know". Put you graduated from the SparklyUnicorn school on your resume. It's not a lie. And then there are some places of employment who require a GED or an accredited diploma. Unless you want to run for president someday and someone is looking for some reason to expose you for the lying scum bag you are and OMG you have a GED!!!! I can't imagine a problem.

There are some businesses (Lowe's) that won't hire a person with a GED because it indicates they didn't finish high school.  I think that's why some people are opposed to it.

My quote function is not working right for some reason. This kind of drives me crazy. I see nothing wrong with just taking the GED, but lots of people say it has a negative connotation. So I hesitate. Seems like an easy way to just freaking get the high school diploma.

There are some businesses (Lowe's) that won't hire a person with a GED because it indicates they didn't finish high school.  I think that's why some people are opposed to it.

So someone who has a college degree of some sort wouldn't make up for that fact? Bizarre.

But yeah I know some places are odd like that. Of course would they accept that my kid graduated from SparklyUnicorn school with a homeschool diploma?

But that's the thing.  How the heck is Lowe's going to know you ever took the thing if you don't put it on there?  Just say you graduated from Homeschooling High, same as if you hadn't taken it. 

• Like 1