Menu

What do you do when asked for a High School Diploma?

Years ago (1990 or therabouts), my husband went into the Early Entrance Program at University of Washington instead of going to 7th grade.  he went on to college and eventually graduated with a Bachelor's in Economics.  He had problems finding a job with that degree (worked retail) and went back, got a Bachelor's in mathematics (also from University of Washington) and then we moved to Texas and he got a Masters in Mathematics from Texas State University (the one in San Marcos)

Now he's applying for a job and they are telling him they don't think that the Masters' and two Bachelor's will replace needing to show a high school diploma for the job!

What do we do now?

:grouphug:

I don't know since we don't have a high school diploma and never had to show it. My hubby just show his PhD on request, never been asked for even his bachelors, he skip masters. The potential employer sound rigid.

I don't think employers here are familiar with the Cambridge exams anyway which was what we took for university admission.

Is there someone else your husband could speak to? It is possible for the potential boss to bypass HR requirements.

• Like 2

If it's someplace he really wants to work for, and they're willing to wait a little while, but for some reason just will not change the rules on the HS diploma (I can't imagine wanting to work for a place that's that silly), he could just take the GED now and when he gets the results send them to them. Would be extremely silly, but hey.

Sometimes you just need to speak to the right person.

I'm planning on enrolling in one of the community colleges in my area for their Speech & Language Pathology Assistant program to get the SLPA license and complete the admission pre-req's for a master's in SLP. The community college asked for an official copy of my previous college transcript (no problem as I had a sealed copy in my files) but also for an official copy of my high school transcript. I graduated 20 years ago this June and getting an official copy would require them to go digging around in their archives.

The clerk in the registrar's office was adamant that I needed the high school transcript even though I have a bachelor's but I was able to get a supervisor to waive the requirement. She was totally understanding of my situation and agreed that it made no sense to require the high school transcript when they already had proof I successfully completed a bachelor's degree.

I would just explain the situation, and if that wasn't enough, ask to talk to someone.  If it's a matter of some sort of arbitrary computerized checkoff system, maybe the first college degree could be used in place of the high school diploma.

• Like 1

Robinson Center (the EEP at Udub) has excellent customer service and can send a certified letter stating that he was a student who entered the Academy after Transition School.  It would be highly simple if your husband does not want to go the even simpler route of just faking a diploma.

Thank you. He's going to contact them today. Surely they still have records! We are not comfortable faking a diploma

Another possibility is to check with his high school. It's entirely possible that they officially "Graduated" him on paper. I know that when I was looking at early entry, that was what my high school would do-they'd check the boxes and graduate you with your class so you counted for their statistics. No school wants a drop out, after all, and that way they can count any accomplishments you get.

• Like 1

Another possibility is to check with his high school. It's entirely possible that they officially "Graduated" him on paper. I know that when I was looking at early entry, that was what my high school would do-they'd check the boxes and graduate you with your class so you counted for their statistics. No school wants a drop out, after all, and that way they can count any accomplishments you get.

Since he never went to high school, I don't think they have any record of him? He went to 6th grade in the Shoreline area and then instead of 7th grade went through the special program on the University of Washington campus. The year he should have gone to 8th grade he was fully integrated on campus and stayed there.

It's a jail that wants it -- a government job. However, in the midst of trying to come up with something to satisfy them, he's got another call for an interview from Dell today. So maybe it will prove to be unnecessary!

• Like 2

It's a jail that wants it -- a government job. However, in the midst of trying to come up with something to satisfy them, he's got another call for an interview from Dell today. So maybe it will prove to be unnecessary!

Good luck with getting the job he prefers.  Dell won't care about the lack of a high school diploma though.

It's been a decade since I took the GED (cheaper than having my high school diploma translated), but it should still be easy for someone who got into an early entrance program for college. When I took it it was about at a 7th or 8th grade level compared to what we did in secondary school (but I was in the pre-university track). They make it so that 40% of (U.S.) high school seniors flunk it, which is really a shame (to think that so many high school seniors flunk a test that easy, I mean), but anyway. Your library should have a GED test prep book you could look through if you're feeling inspired. One thing I learned is that you're supposed to know how many feet are in a mile.