Menu

Your input needed for pre-diabetes (foods, food substitutes, menus, cookbooks, etc)

sheryl

Yes, I've found that eating too little at times will cause my blood sugar to rise (probably the "dawn effect" where glucose is released by the liver) and that eating too few carbs can do the same.  I really need the right mix of carb/protein/fat and while I can get ballpark ideas from others, testing is the only way I can figure out more specifically what's best for my body.  

Yes, I used to not eat when I woke up and it was higher than I wanted but I figured out from testing that made it worse. I need carbs in the morning but not too much, really I do best with a small breakfast but I have to get in plenty of food the rest of the day. An interesting thing I read from someone is they said certain nuts sent their blood sugar too high because it was too much fat and protein without carbs, now some say keto is the only way to go but that doesn't work for everyone and is counterindicated for some (although personally I believe there are some clinical uses of keto I'm not a fan for the general population- I'm not that swayed by their research).

I read through much of the second page but not everything (short on time), so I apologize if this has been said.

OP, you have been given excellent advice, even though some of it is inconsistent. IMO that is because different people process foods differently.  For some (including me), low carb is way the to go. For others, a low-fat plant-based diet works. I would HIGHLY recommend that you begin testing your blood sugar regularly. It is the only way for you to determine how YOUR body is reacting to what you eat (again, IMO.) 

:grouphug: and best of luck to you. For many people, conditions like yours (and those related) CAN be controlled by diet and exercise. I hope it works for you.

• Like 1

I read through much of the second page but not everything (short on time), so I apologize if this has been said.

OP, you have been given excellent advice, even though some of it is inconsistent. IMO that is because different people process foods differently.  For some (including me), low carb is way the to go. For others, a low-fat plant-based diet works. I would HIGHLY recommend that you begin testing your blood sugar regularly. It is the only way for you to determine how YOUR body is reacting to what you eat (again, IMO.) 

:grouphug: and best of luck to you. For many people, conditions like yours (and those related) CAN be controlled by diet and exercise. I hope it works for you.

Yes, this too.  I found that I became more aware of how I felt when the numbers weren't good, so now I can pretty much reason out when I'm not right.  For example, some months ago I felt exhausted after a church potluck.  I began thinking back, and figured out that I probably got too much sugar in a fruit salad I ate that was particularly good.  I tested, and yup.  Too many carbs!

My mom, who was nearly 70 at the time, was diagnosed with borderline high blood sugar (DK if she got formal pre-diabetic dx or not).  She cut out most white stuff and cut back on starchy veggies like sweet potatoes.  She exercised more.  She lost probably about 10 pounds (wasn't considered overweight to begin with).  Her blood sugar got back into a normal range.  She had no other health issues besides high blood pressure that she'd had for years.  As far as I can tell, simply losing weight helps a lot.  

I've got to catch up on the last 10 replies or so, reread the thread and read the links. 

For now I wanted to mention that I have a bread substitute - a recipe my friend gave to me.   It's about 150 calories, 13 g. carb and 85 mg of cholesterol.   If anyone would like it, let me know.  If you have the ingredients, it takes 2-3 minutes to prep and you nuke it for 60 seconds.  It's incredible. 

I've got to catch up on the last 10 replies or so, reread the thread and read the links. 

For now I wanted to mention that I have a bread substitute - a recipe my friend gave to me.   It's about 150 calories, 13 g. carb and 85 mg of cholesterol.   If anyone would like it, let me know.  If you have the ingredients, it takes 2-3 minutes to prep and you nuke it for 60 seconds.  It's incredible. 

I'd like to have the recipe.  

I'd like to have the recipe.  

Sure, here's the recipe.  I made it for the first time Sunday and again yesterday, Monday.  It turns out a little more dense than I would like and may take that as a challenge to "lighten" only slightly.  Adapt for your preference.

Bread in a bowl (burger bun recipe)

Spray or grease a bun-sized ramekin/bowl

In a separate bowl, combine: 1 egg, beaten; 2 T. flax seed "meal", 2 T. almond flour, 1/2 t. baking powder, 1 t. coconut oil (melted).  Mix together. 

*the consistency now will be like cookie dough

After mixing, I take and mold a ball in my hands and slightly press down to make a very thick coin

I plop that into my sprayed ramekin.

Microwave for about 1 minute.  Let cool.  Slice horizontally and fill with your choice! 

Yesterday I quadrupled the recipe - made a larger version to have these on hand (instead of one by one).

Not only do I need to cut carbs, which I'm doing thanks to y'all, but I need to watch sodium and cholesterol.   So, I remove half of the egg yolk and it cuts down on the cholesterol! 

Also, I use 1 1/2 T. almond flour and the other 1/2 T. I use coconut "flour" to make the bun a little more flavorful.

Lastly, in an attempt to lighten it, I added part baking "soda" and part "powder".  It didn't help much. 

I feel as though it still needs a little more flavor.  I like almonds/meal but it can be a little, well, not bitter, but bland.  If you have any ideas on what might work, please share.

Nutritional facts:  I did this quickly and not 100 % accurate (close though):

carbs  13 g.

cholesterol   50 mg.

calories  150 - 170