Menu

Your input needed for pre-diabetes (foods, food substitutes, menus, cookbooks, etc)

sheryl

Help with dinner.  The only thing I figured out, to a point, was to use my thawed chicken breast.  Into a casserole dish I threw:

chicken gravy (I know, but what else would I use)???
chicken breast

fresh celery

fresh mushrooms

fresh onions

(forgot to add carrot)

now, WHAT do I serve this with? 

Help with dinner.  The only thing I figured out, to a point, was to use my thawed chicken breast.  Into a casserole dish I threw:

chicken gravy (I know, but what else would I use)???

chicken breast

fresh celery

fresh mushrooms

fresh onions

(forgot to add carrot)

now, WHAT do I serve this with? 

chicken gravy is actually not excessively carby

I would serve that all with a side of broccoli or some other green veg. 

• Like 1

Pre-diabetic means that you are insulin resistant.  Just how insulin resistant is going to vary from person to person with different foods to some extent. So you and I can eat the same food and process it differently?  At least to a point?  I strongly suggest that you get a glucometer and test for now.  You can get a cheap meter at Walgreens or Walmart with inexpensive test strips.  Or you can get a free meter online and get test strips for more (though ins. will cover the cost of some of it with some plans).  Figure out what your body can handle.

I had 3 eggs this morning (they have a undeserved bad rap for causing cholesterol problems) and a cut up apple.  I put nut butter on the apple.  That was  my "bread".  My bloodsugar two hours after eating was a very healthy 87.  

For lunch I had a salad with a healthy amount of protein (pork tenderloin plus a tbs. of goat cheese for that creaminess that makes me feel satiated.)  (4 oz. which seems like a lot but does a lot towards keeping my bloodsugars stable).  I had a dessert of two squares of organic dark chocolate with almonds in it.    I regularly eat my organic 85% bitter chocolate and separate almonds. LOVE THIS!

I haven't tested my sugars yet since I just had lunch but I had the exact same lunch yesterday and my 2 hours postprandial reading was 112 (under 120 is good.  Could it be better?  Sure but lunch is a time when my metabolism has trouble.   I cannot seem to handle any breads at lunch even before I went gluten free but I could have a slice at breakfast and would still have a nice low number).

I've tested and I can have 1/3 of a cup of brown rice (not white) with a ton of chicken stir-fry for dinner and my numbers will be fine.  Go over 1/3 of a cup and my body can't handle it.  Some people can't handle it at all.   Can't handle the portion of 1/3 c. or the rice?

Thanks, Jean!

If I eat more than 1/3 c. of brown rice my sugar will spike too high.  My body just can't process that much carbs.   I tested brown rice specifically because we are a partly Asian household and rice is a big part of our daily diet.  I was too depressed cutting it totally out of my life so I tested to see how I could make it work.  I don't really care about cutting out bread (for the most part) or potatoes.  

The advice here, and everywhere, including from doctors, is going to be mixed.  I've watched my dad develop diabetes - it runs very heavily in his family and he's always been a slight man with a good diet.  His solution was drastically reducing carbs.  In your situation, I'd start a diabetes diet to reverse the progression in that direction.  But, like I said, the advice is everywhere and all over the board - low fat/high carb, high fat/low carb, vegan, atkins, etc.  Hard to know just what to do.  But, my first step would be cutting sugar and other non-veggie carbs.  I'd load up on veggies over fruit (so hard, I love fruit).  I wouldn't cut fat from non-meat sources.  I'd eat nuts, avocados, coconut oil, etc.  Lots of luck.

Yes, I think that's key for me for now.  

I agree the advice will be mixed.  I don't think you should necessarily listen to anyone here.  I just encourage you to consider all sides.  Even those sides that don't support the current "wisdom".  Despite all of this "wisdom" there are record numbers of people with out of control diabetes.  If that were the solution, I'd hope things wouldn't actually be getting worse.

Well, I actually think most here are saying "about" the same thing.  I guess bottom line is: lower carbs, much lower red animal meat, some but not an excessive amt. of chicken, fish; still eat beans, nuts, veggies and "in moderation" fats like those nuts, avocado, eggs, dairy, etc.  However, because my Dad is a serious cardiac patient I, too, will need to watch the amount of fat and cholesterol.  I'll still eat fat but it will have to be more of the good ones and in smaller quantities. 

chicken gravy is actually not excessively carby

I would serve that all with a side of broccoli or some other green veg. 

Right.   I need to double up more on veggies.  I usually just serve 1 at a meal.  Once in a while I'll serve 2 or even 3 at Thanksgiving.   I'll need to do that with most meals now.

Well, you've got a carrot, right? Peel it into ribbons, steam lightly, add some peas and a small amount of olive oil or butter and salt. Then you can have a second side of steamed broccoli with lemon, and a salad.

OK, this sounds good.   More ideas.  Truly, if you have the time, please send more. 

If I eat more than 1/3 c. of brown rice my sugar will spike too high.  My body just can't process that much carbs.   I tested brown rice specifically because we are a partly Asian household and rice is a big part of our daily diet.  I was too depressed cutting it totally out of my life so I tested to see how I could make it work.  I don't really care about cutting out bread (for the most part) or potatoes.  

got it.  well, we eat a lot of Mexican and Asian even though we are not either of these!  :)   as much as we like our Thai and Chinese, they are heavily salted.  With my bp that was high recently, I had to go on b.p. med to lower it which it has.  But, I'm very conscious of not trying to consume more than 1500 mg. sodium daily. 

so, you consume 1/3 c. rice and that is the only carb for the meal?  the day?

Remember that fruits and veggies are carbs too!  Just not as high in carbs as grains.  That 1/3 c. of rice is my only grain for the day if I eat rice.  If I eat a starchy veg. like yams, that would be restricted too (though I haven't tested enough to tell you exactly how much I can eat) and would be in lieu of the rice and would be only at one meal.  

I do cheat sometimes.  My cheats are limited for me though because I'm gluten free now and regret it big time if I eat gluten.  Testing after meals helps me keep myself accountable too because I can see a lot sooner than at my 3 month check-up or even on the scale the results of my food choices.  I'd gotten away from that (I'm over 30 days on antibiotics and have pretty ill) because I couldn't handle the work of doing all of this.  I'm back to monitoring 4x a day and it really helps me.  

Right.   I need to double up more on veggies.  I usually just serve 1 at a meal.  Once in a while I'll serve 2 or even 3 at Thanksgiving.   I'll need to do that with most meals now.

1. Found a list of vegetables loosely ordered by how carby they are. Of course, serving size matters a lot as well - if you eat a more carby vegetable, make it a smaller serving. Turns out carrots and peas is not ideal, but if you had just a little of that and a lot of the broccoli and salad, it evens out. Well, we live and we learn, anyway.

2. The trick to serving more than one veggie is to make sure at least one of the two (or two of the three, even better) is really simple. (Salad, btw, is so simple it doesn't even count as "a veggie". That's just lagniappe.)

The easiest thing you can do with any chopped vegetable is steam it for a few minutes, then add salt, an oil (butter or olive oil work fine), and possibly lemon juice or some herb or spice. Some vegetables should not be steamed - summer squash, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.

The second easiest thing you can do is coat it with a little oil, salt, pepper, and possibly some herb or spice or garlic, then roast it at 375 for 20 minutes or so.

Easy-peasy, I hesitate to even call these "recipes" because all you have to do is learn two techniques, and apply them to a different vegetable nightly.

Let me see if I can find some of my recipes online so I can avoid typing them out longhand, okay?

• Like 1

Mashed cauliflower is a good side if you have something saucy, but I think roasted cauli is much better taste-wise.

Zucchini noodles are actually quite delicious, though we have them less often than I would like because I have to be home an hour before dinner to prep them and that often doesn't happen.

My best quick and easy veggie side is sauteed cabbage. It actually goes pretty well with saucy main dishes too, especially spicy ones where the sauce is thick.

For wraps I use a raw cabbage leaf as the wrap. Actual sandwiches are a treat now and when I do have them they are often open faced so I only have one slice of bread.

I occasionally splurge and eat whatever. Generally not more than once in a month.  I also follow the 5:2 diet. Fasting is said to be beneficial for blood sugar regulation, though the science behind that is still being tested I think.

My mom was able to control her Type II diabetes for years through diet and energetic walks; she now takes some medication too. She was the biggest bread-lover I've ever met, but she's adjusted. I've adopted some of her habits to reduce my own carb intake.

You seem to have gotten lots of good advice about reducing carbs and focusing on good fats so I'll just add a list of random meal/snack ideas that have helped her:

In place of sandwiches: tuna or chicken salad is great on cucumber or celery or wrapped in lettuce or cabbage.

If you're really craving chips or crackers look into pork rinds.

Serve spaghetti sauce/meat over sliced cabbage or shredded zuchinni instead of noodles.

Mashed cauliflower is yummy in place of potatoes.

We love stir fry, but often don't serve with rice. I bulk it up cheaply with bean sprouts and cabbage and no one misses the rice.

Instead of croutons in salads, add sunflower seeds or a little bit of crispy onions (like French's) for crunch instead.

Lentils are awesome. If you don't eat them already, do it! They are high in fiber and protein and low on the glycemic index. I seriously had never even heard of them until I was 22 or so, but started cooking them at DHs request. You could totally make them with a Mexican or Asian flair.

I make a tasty spicy bean sprout soup that is simply chicken or veggie broth, bean sprouts, random other veggies (carrots, mushrooms, celery) and red pepper flakes to taste. Sometimes I add chicken.

I was diagnosed as pre diabetic a couple of years ago. I decided to try a low carb diet alone for one month. My blood sugar levels went down a little after that month. Then I stopped the low carb diet and started exercising almost daily to see what impact that would have. My blood sugar levels went down to normal.

For me exercise was enough to bring me down to normal levels. This is enough motivation for me to keep exercising religiously. Also, I never had any weight to lose, so that was not an issue, and my cholesterol levels were always excellent (high good cholesterol and low bad cholesterol).

There have also been studies linking not enough sleep to insulin resistance. Are you sleeping enough?

Just made chicken cauliflower chili last night (no one here is diabetic but I try to make them eat lower carb).

Saute onion,  green pepper in butter.  Add in chopped cauliflower and tomato and chili spices.  Add cooked chicken when the cauliflower is done and simmer a bit.

Very tasty and filling.

• Like 1

OK, this sounds good.   More ideas.  Truly, if you have the time, please send more. 

dropping the carby side is one less thing to have to cook...; )

Or just make the carby side for everyone else and just eat the veg. 

• Like 2

Just made chicken cauliflower chili last night (no one here is diabetic but I try to make them eat lower carb).

Saute onion,  green pepper in butter.  Add in chopped cauliflower and tomato and chili spices.  Add cooked chicken when the cauliflower is done and simmer a bit.

Very tasty and filling.

That sounds good.  I think I'll try that.

I have done some crazy things with cauliflower. 

I've only been at this for a week or so, and I love my carbs, but I am learning to eat my veggies. Which I rarely, if ever, did. Seriously, it would be unusual for me to not eat a veggie for days. Anyway, yesterday I ate a bowl of broccoli and cauliflower, steamed with a bit of butter and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, cucumbers for a snack, and an avocado with a touch of salt for a snack. Bfast was two eggs. Dinner was sloppy joes. I had the bread this time but I do believe I will just be cutting it out entirely and eating it like chili. I'm basically not buying processed carbs at all anymore. I'm getting enough carbs in other ways.

I do appreciate this discussion a lot. I'm learning lots and am going to call my doc about getting a reader so I can figure out what works and what doesn't for me.

• Like 3

I love spaghetti squash in place of higher carbs at dinner like potatoes or noodles. I've never tried zucchini noodles. I'd guess you have to have a machine to cut those?

You can use a julienne peeler if you don't want to go whole hog with a spiral slicer.

Serve spaghetti sauce/meat over sliced cabbage or shredded zucchini instead of noodles.

Somebody in another thread mentioned shakshouka, or eggs in purgatory, which is another way of having the tasty part of pasta (the sauce) without the carbs (the pasta) - make whatever form of tomato sauce you like, then poach some eggs in it. I love it in all its iterations, but we rarely have it as the girls have this thing about eggs.

You can easily serve that with a side of kale sauteed with garlic and boom: two vegetable dishes in one meal. (And your salad, of course.)

• Like 3

I love spaghetti squash in place of higher carbs at dinner like potatoes or noodles. I've never tried zucchini noodles. I'd guess you have to have a machine to cut those?

You just need a grater.  I have a slightly specialized grater called a Veggetti that easily cuts veggies into noodles (one of those As See on TV things) but all you really need is a grater.  

Remember that fruits and veggies are carbs too!  Just not as high in carbs as grains.  That 1/3 c. of rice is my only grain for the day if I eat rice.  If I eat a starchy veg. like yams, that would be restricted too (though I haven't tested enough to tell you exactly how much I can eat) and would be in lieu of the rice and would be only at one meal.  

I do cheat sometimes.  My cheats are limited for me though because I'm gluten free now and regret it big time if I eat gluten.  Testing after meals helps me keep myself accountable too because I can see a lot sooner than at my 3 month check-up or even on the scale the results of my food choices.  I'd gotten away from that (I'm over 30 days on antibiotics and have pretty ill) because I couldn't handle the work of doing all of this.  I'm back to monitoring 4x a day and it really helps me.  

Right.  I know that but it's a good reminder that fruits/veggies have carbs as well.  Grains are high in carbs?  ok.  I really need to understand what foods are grain and what are starches.  Then there is corn.  Is that not a grain and a carb?  A grainy carby? LOL! 

Jean, if you eat 1/3 c. rice (brown, right?) then do you eat other grain/starchy foods the same.day?

1. Found a list of vegetables loosely ordered by how carby they are. Of course, serving size matters a lot as well - if you eat a more carby vegetable, make it a smaller serving. Turns out carrots and peas is not ideal, but if you had just a little of that and a lot of the broccoli and salad, it evens out. Well, we live and we learn, anyway.

2. The trick to serving more than one veggie is to make sure at least one of the two (or two of the three, even better) is really simple. (Salad, btw, is so simple it doesn't even count as "a veggie". That's just lagniappe.)

The easiest thing you can do with any chopped vegetable is steam it for a few minutes, then add salt, an oil (butter or olive oil work fine), and possibly lemon juice or some herb or spice. Some vegetables should not be steamed - summer squash, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc.

The second easiest thing you can do is coat it with a little oil, salt, pepper, and possibly some herb or spice or garlic, then roast it at 375 for 20 minutes or so.

Easy-peasy, I hesitate to even call these "recipes" because all you have to do is learn two techniques, and apply them to a different vegetable nightly.

Let me see if I can find some of my recipes online so I can avoid typing them out longhand, okay?

Aww...thanks for the link!   Steaming veggies sound good w/lemon juice and others listed.  Roasting will bring out more of the natural sugars within the food.  I LOVE roasted veggies.  Lightbulb moment...maybe I should just make my roasted veggies (that I normally do for only Thanksgiving) a few times a week.  Make a big batch and reheat to have on hand.   Good! 

Mashed cauliflower is a good side if you have something saucy, but I think roasted cauli is much better taste-wise.

Zucchini noodles are actually quite delicious, though we have them less often than I would like because I have to be home an hour before dinner to prep them and that often doesn't happen.

My best quick and easy veggie side is sauteed cabbage. It actually goes pretty well with saucy main dishes too, especially spicy ones where the sauce is thick.

For wraps I use a raw cabbage leaf as the wrap. Actual sandwiches are a treat now and when I do have them they are often open faced so I only have one slice of bread.

I occasionally splurge and eat whatever. Generally not more than once in a month.  I also follow the 5:2 diet. Fasting is said to be beneficial for blood sugar regulation, though the science behind that is still being tested I think.

Zucchini noodles - please explain.  Do you peel off skin first?  And, what about the seeds?  Are they thin strips or thinner julienne?  OK, I LOVE cabbage.  Just regular cole slaw.  Then, it happened.  :)   I bought corned beef and sautĂƒÂ©ed onion and cabbage together and combined with meat in crock pot.  Oh, my, my, my, my.  My dh, dd and I loved it.  LOVE sautĂƒÂ©ed cabbage alone and with onion!  I started using romaine leaves for my sandwiches last year and then swung back to bread.  I guess I missed the fluff.  But, I'll be swinging back to the leaves now.  Also, I didn't realize deli meats were so bad for people.   I buy the Boar's Head which is more $ but healthier but maybe it's still not that great.  So, I'll pack hummus/veggies, tuna and chicken (canned) salad, egg salad - anything else?  Also, what about my friend's recipe for an almond bun?  Made from almond meal?

My mom was able to control her Type II diabetes for years through diet and energetic walks; she now takes some medication too. She was the biggest bread-lover I've ever met, but she's adjusted. I've adopted some of her habits to reduce my own carb intake.

You seem to have gotten lots of good advice about reducing carbs and focusing on good fats so I'll just add a list of random meal/snack ideas that have helped her:

In place of sandwiches: tuna or chicken salad is great on cucumber or celery or wrapped in lettuce or cabbage.  I read your reply earlier and added that to the previous pp's reply.  THANKS!

If you're really craving chips or crackers look into pork rinds.    Can't do this, not for my taste.  Do you have another suggestion?

Serve spaghetti sauce/meat over sliced cabbage or shredded zuchinni instead of noodles.  LOVE this idea.  See my reply to Truscifi - I need to know specifics on prepping zucchini.

Mashed cauliflower is yummy in place of potatoes.     Have done this in the past and need to get back to doing it again.

We love stir fry, but often don't serve with rice. I bulk it up cheaply with bean sprouts and cabbage and no one misses the rice.  Love this too!  Raw cabbage to saute, right?  What kind of sprouts?

Instead of croutons in salads, add sunflower seeds or a little bit of crispy onions (like French's) for crunch instead.  Do this.

Lentils are awesome. If you don't eat them already, do it! They are high in fiber and protein and low on the glycemic index. I seriously had never even heard of them until I was 22 or so, but started cooking them at DHs request. You could totally make them with a Mexican or Asian flair.   Like Lentils a lot and have the raw lentil bag downstairs.  Do you care to send a recipe or two?

I make a tasty spicy bean sprout soup that is simply chicken or veggie broth, bean sprouts, random other veggies (carrots, mushrooms, celery) and red pepper flakes to taste. Sometimes I add chicken.  LOVE THIS IDEA!  Please send recipe.

OK, woman, I will track you down for your creative recipes/ideas here! LOL!  Please reply/send to all above when you have time.  Sounds yummy!

I was diagnosed as pre diabetic a couple of years ago. I decided to try a low carb diet alone for one month. My blood sugar levels went down a little after that month. Then I stopped the low carb diet and started exercising almost daily to see what impact that would have. My blood sugar levels went down to normal.

For me exercise was enough to bring me down to normal levels. This is enough motivation for me to keep exercising religiously. Also, I never had any weight to lose, so that was not an issue, and my cholesterol levels were always excellent (high good cholesterol and low bad cholesterol).

There have also been studies linking not enough sleep to insulin resistance. Are you sleeping enough?

Thanks for sharing.  My question - were you ever an exerciser beforehand?  Or, did you initiate at on-set of pre-d?  I do have sleep apnea and sleep with a cpap every night.  Thanks for sharing this b/c I can see maybe that some people respond more to the food restriction side and others through exercise.

Spaghetti squash - I've tried only once or twice and "noodles" came out a bit crunchy despite it being baked.  Any tips?

Very tasty and filling.

OK, I'd like this recipe too, but why cauliflower in this particular recipe and not beans?

dropping the carby side is one less thing to have to cook...; )

Or just make the carby side for everyone else and just eat the veg. 

Well, and here it is - I don't want to deprive my dh and dd of other foods.  Heck, I don't want to deprive myself once in a while.  I can't imagine not eating peach or some kind of berry cobbler every again. 

Forgot to mention cauliflower pizza. I like it better than regular pizza!

HOW?  Sounds good!

I've only been at this for a week or so, and I love my carbs, but I am learning to eat my veggies. Which I rarely, if ever, did. Seriously, it would be unusual for me to not eat a veggie for days. Anyway, yesterday I ate a bowl of broccoli and cauliflower, steamed with a bit of butter and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, cucumbers for a snack, and an avocado with a touch of salt for a snack. Bfast was two eggs. Dinner was sloppy joes. I had the bread this time but I do believe I will just be cutting it out entirely and eating it like chili. I'm basically not buying processed carbs at all anymore. I'm getting enough carbs in other ways.

I do appreciate this discussion a lot. I'm learning lots and am going to call my doc about getting a reader so I can figure out what works and what doesn't for me.

Love the idea of steamed veggies with butter and parmesan cheese!

You can use a julienne peeler if you don't want to go whole hog with a spiral slicer.

Somebody in another thread mentioned shakshouka, or eggs in purgatory, which is another way of having the tasty part of pasta (the sauce) without the carbs (the pasta) - make whatever form of tomato sauce you like, then poach some eggs in it. I love it in all its iterations, but we rarely have it as the girls have this thing about eggs.

You can easily serve that with a side of kale sauteed with garlic and boom: two vegetable dishes in one meal. (And your salad, of course.)

will need to check in to the links.  thanks so much! 

Jean, see the earlier reply on how to prep for zucchini noodles.

Does anyone have an awesome recipe for slightly spicy/cheese kale chips?   My friend said she substituted cheese sauce with pureed (sp?) cashews.   TELL ME MORE! 

Jean, if you eat 1/3 c. rice (brown, right?) then do you eat other grain/starchy foods the same.day?

I only eat at the most, one grain or starchy food per day.  Most of the time I eat that at dinner.  It helps that I've come up with a routine breakfast and a routine lunch that I like and that don't have grains/starchy veggies.  If I go off of that routine I will need to test more and tweak it to come up with choices that will work.  For me, it's a work in progress.  I try to follow a 40/30/30 ratio on my foods - that's 40% carbs (but not from grains except for once a day - many 40/30/30 plans have no grains), 30% protein and 30% fat.  You can find 40/30/30 plans under the names of the Formula and the Zone diet and probably other names too.  It's a good ratio of macro-nutrients for a diabetic (or someone trying not to become a diabetic).  

Yesterday I had my standard 40/30/30 breakfast of 3 eggs (yes, it's a lot but I need that amount of protein to keep me steady until lunch) plus one apple smeared with a bit of peanut butter (fat plus protein).  2 hours after eating my sugar was an absolutely beautiful 87.  This morning I had the exact same breakfast.  2 hours after eating, my sugar was a still normal but higher 110.  What made it higher?  Could be that I wasn't as careful on the peanut butter and smeared more.  Or it could be that I have a bit more stress today.  Or the health problems I have have raised my sugar a bit.  Because my standard breakfast usually comes in well under my upper target of 120 (for a diabetic), I have some wiggle room when other factors come into play and mess with my sugars.    

Zucchini noodles - please explain.  Do you peel off skin first?  And, what about the seeds?  Are they thin strips or thinner julienne?  OK, I LOVE cabbage.  Just regular cole slaw.  Then, it happened.  :)   I bought corned beef and sautĂƒÂ©ed onion and cabbage together and combined with meat in crock pot.  Oh, my, my, my, my.  My dh, dd and I loved it.  LOVE sautĂƒÂ©ed cabbage alone and with onion!  I started using romaine leaves for my sandwiches last year and then swung back to bread.  I guess I missed the fluff.  But, I'll be swinging back to the leaves now.  Also, I didn't realize deli meats were so bad for people.   I buy the Boar's Head which is more $ but healthier but maybe it's still not that great.  So, I'll pack hummus/veggies, tuna and chicken (canned) salad, egg salad - anything else?  Also, what about my friend's recipe for an almond bun?  Made from almond meal?

I just use a vegetable peeler for mine. I like them wide, like fettuccine noodles. I peel strips, including the skin, into a colander until I get to the seedy part in the middle. That goes to my chickens. Then I sprinkle them with salt and toss gently, then leave them in the colander with a bowl on top to press the water out. This gives them a firmer, more noodle-ish texture.  You can rinse the salt off afterward if you need to go low salt as well. They are delicious with a nice pesto and some grilled chicken.

ETA I usually let them sit about an hour.

OK, I'd like this recipe too, but why cauliflower in this particular recipe and not beans?

My guess is because beans do have quite a bit of carbs. However, when you account for the fiber content, the net carbs aren't that bad, and they're still a good part of a healthy diet, even if you have to be careful with your carb count. (Just don't go nuts. A serving of beans a day is quite reasonable.) Fiber helps lower the impact of those carbs in your body. That's also why you're encouraged to have a small serving of brown rice or whole wheat bread rather than any size serving of white rice or bread.

• Like 1

My guess is because beans do have quite a bit of carbs. However, when you account for the fiber content, the net carbs aren't that bad, and they're still a good part of a healthy diet, even if you have to be careful with your carb count. (Just don't go nuts. A serving of beans a day is quite reasonable.) Fiber helps lower the impact of those carbs in your body. That's also why you're encouraged to have a small serving of brown rice or whole wheat bread rather than any size serving of white rice or bread.

Again - test, test, test.  Some beans are ok for me.  Refried beans (perhaps because they are more processed and have a higher fat content?) make my sugar shoot up to the stars.  

• Like 1

I only eat at the most, one grain or starchy food per day.  Most of the time I eat that at dinner.  It helps that I've come up with a routine breakfast and a routine lunch that I like and that don't have grains/starchy veggies.  If I go off of that routine I will need to test more and tweak it to come up with choices that will work.  For me, it's a work in progress.  I try to follow a 40/30/30 ratio on my foods - that's 40% carbs (but not from grains except for once a day - many 40/30/30 plans have no grains), 30% protein and 30% fat.  You can find 40/30/30 plans under the names of the Formula and the Zone diet and probably other names too.  It's a good ratio of macro-nutrients for a diabetic (or someone trying not to become a diabetic).  

Yesterday I had my standard 40/30/30 breakfast of 3 eggs (yes, it's a lot but I need that amount of protein to keep me steady until lunch) plus one apple smeared with a bit of peanut butter (fat plus protein).  2 hours after eating my sugar was an absolutely beautiful 87.  This morning I had the exact same breakfast.  2 hours after eating, my sugar was a still normal but higher 110.  What made it higher?  Could be that I wasn't as careful on the peanut butter and smeared more.  Or it could be that I have a bit more stress today.  Or the health problems I have have raised my sugar a bit.  Because my standard breakfast usually comes in well under my upper target of 120 (for a diabetic), I have some wiggle room when other factors come into play and mess with my sugars.    

ok, thanks for that.  I can see I have lots to learn/unlearn.  do you won't on the premise of carbs or "net" carbs? 

Stress - yes, recently your Dad passed away and I'm sure that has had an underlying effect. 

Perhaps in my case too.  Between my dh and I we've had 3 deaths in the family and my Dad has been hospitalized twice in the last 13 months.  On top of that, I'm behind in grading my dd's work and have need to begin and keep up a transcript, etc. 

Thanks Truscifi for the zucchini noodle tip.  I actually did as mentioned for making my lasagna recently, but found when I rinsed off the salt, in water, that they were "wet" again.  It's time consuming because I then hand dried each one with a paper towel.  Too time consuming.  Maybe rinsing and baking in oven to dry out a bit?

And, I would think that brings up a good point - "net" carbs.

Thanks for these last 2 replies as well.  Interesting, Jean, regarding the net carbs vs. not.  

I think that we can close this thread now but I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone.  You all have offered so much advice, encouragement and tips.  

Ahh, if anyone sees AndyJoy.....I need to hear from you! 

Thanks for posting Sheryl! I am in the same boat and have been researching the best approach to getting my health under control. It's helpful to hear what has worked for others. :)

Nurse called today to tell me that my labs all came back normal but my cholesterol and sugar a little high and I'm now considered pre-diabetic.    Oh no, how can this be?!  

Anyway, enter here and share with me your best tips to REVERSE pre-diabetes.   Full blown can not be reversed but pre can be is what I've heard over the years.

The little bit of research I've done said to reduce calories and fat. 

I've buy non-fat or low-fat dairy items.  Or, use coconut milk, almond milk, etc.  Sheep milk, etc.   That will help to cut down on cholesterol.

Additionally, he wants me to take a statin.  I'm going to go back on Red Rice Yeast and maybe Niacin which help with cholesterol.  They act like a statin and is why I took myself off, but he assures me that these 2 above are fine.

Reduce calories - ok, no brainer here.  I guess - tongue in cheek.  That leaves broccoli, lettuce and Trader Joe's pea shoots!  LOL!

Reduce fat.  Give up red meat.  And, give up on what kind of fat?  I dunno.   :)    Maybe I will have to give up butter.

See, I don't use chemicals and am an organic type of gal so that will be hard for me to do.  Still, I have the red label earth balance.  That will work right?

I don't want my dh and dd to suffer.  I was afraid to make/eat dinner tonight.  Silly me.  I ate grapes, 1 wasa sourdough crispbread and blueberries.  Oh joy!   I do like these foods but they are NOT hearty!

HELP!   Your suggestions should be with me REVERSING my pre-diabetic condition in mind.  THANKS!

• Like 1

I also recommend a whole-food, plant based diet.  Check out the book by Dr. Neil Barnard about reversing diabetes.  As mentioned earlier by a previous poster, watch the documentary, "Forks Over Knives".  Also, check out the website of Dr. John McDougall.  

I went on a whole-food, plant based diet in Oct because of cholesterol (340), three months later it came back as 200.  My blood sugar levels were also much better.  I am convinced that the majority of our health problems in the US we bring on ourselves by feeding a fine machine(our bodies) lots of junk.  The only way our bodies can function as God intended them to is to eat plants that have not been processed.  For what it's worth, I have not had chocolate, icecream, cheese, pizza, and only meat 2 times because of being at a social setting since Oct and I don't miss these foods at all.  I feel a ton better and have more energy and no more aches and pains in my joints. 

Dina in OK, how you made any adjustments?  And, if so, what are they?  We can learn from you too!

48820592,  thanks for the links.  And, congratulations on your recovery!   That is my goal as well - lower cholesterol and reverse my pre-d.

What plants you do eat?  And, do you consume fats/cholesterol in other non-animal forms, like:  avocado, any cheese?, eggs (w or w/o yolk), etc....???

I will still prepare meat (animal source) for dh, dd and me (much less for me).  But, while I'll be consuming less I'd like to also serve dh and dd less for same reasons I'm consuming less.  So, with that in mind,

what non-animal protein entrĂƒÂ©e do you recommend? 

Do I have to give up eggs with yolks? 

These are some foods I like:

Kashi Blueberry oat cluster cereal  (berries)

Steel cut or regular oatmeal (with brown sugar, fruits, nuts) 

Eggs
Trader Joe's Greek style NON FAT yogurt (just looked and the carbs are 31 g per serving) ouch  See, is it always a trade off?  Low fat but high carb?  I can't do high fat and low carb here as I need to lower cholesterol as well as sugar/carbs

Chicken sausage links but I'll have to stop as these are high in sodium, cholesterol and need I say more :)

In my cereals and yogurts I'll add flax seed meal, chia seeds, hemp seed, etc.  Also, I use Blue Diamond Reduced Sugar Vanilla Almond Breeze as a milk sub.

Boar's Head lunch meats (BBQ chicken, Catering Turkey, Corned Beef and Low sodium deluxe ham) this brand is minimally processed.  Don't know about nitrates now.

Ditch the lunch meats and maybe go back to canned chicken, tuna.  Already buy canned salmon for salmon patties.

I try to limit bread and sub with romaine lettuce leaf and low carb tortilla shell.  I just made an almond bun (almond meal) as a bread replacement.  My friend gave me the recipe and this will work.  Will give to anyone who wants this.

Lettuce salads with toppings

Fruits

I need to eat more raw veggies

Dinner would be a meatless quiche (well, crustless)

Meat entrĂƒÂ©e

Salad

Sometimes a 2nd veggie but those may be high in starch

OH, I have a lot to learn. 

I'm late on this thread, but I had gestational diabetes with each pregnancy, and then tested as a pre-diabetic for about five years after that.  So my doctor had me do an A1c twice a year, and put me on what was called a "smart carb" diet then. During that period I worked out a diet that works for me that kept my blood sugar and A1c down. 

BTW -- I don't any prepared cereals (none of the Kashi ones work for me, too many carbs), and I eat plain yogurt with sliced fruit.  I do eat oatmeal/oat groats, but only with milk and fruit.  I do fine with stevia and xylitol in small amounts, but no other sweeteners.  Only unsweetened soy or almond milk;  I make my own salad dressings.

Finally last summer (15 years since I tested pre-diabetic), my doctor said that we might as well stop the A1c tests because I haven't tested pre-diabetic at all in a several years.  So we just do the typical annual blood work, and that's it.  She said not to change anything of course!

Exercise is also important.  I exercise 4x a week for 60-90 minutes, and combination of cardio and weights.

You asked me if I was new to exercise. Like you, I had exercised regularly before but, for one thing or another, I had almost stopped exercising when I tested pre diabetic. I was not overweight and never have been. Other than high blood sugar levels, the tests revealed low thyroid, which may explain fatigue, which may in turn have contributed to my stopping exercising.

I have to say that I was ecstatic when my experiment showed exercise alone was good enough to reverse the diagnosis. The month when I tried the low carb diet was miserable trying to come up with menus that would satisfy the whole family. My normal diet, in general, has always been pretty healthy. I am originally from Spain and tend to eat a lot of Mediterranean food. Legumes, nuts and seeds, fish, olives etc feature prominently in my diet, although there is also plenty of white bread, rice and pasta and I enjoy good cheese and dark chocolate.

Good luck with your journey!

• Like 1

What plants you do eat?  And, do you consume fats/cholesterol in other non-animal forms, like:  avocado, any cheese?, eggs (w or w/o yolk), etc....???

Breakfast:  steel cut oats--made the night before, boil for 1 minute with cover turn off and leave it until morning.  I usually mash a banana with some cinnamon and mix it in with the oats in the morning with some chopped pecans.  I also have most mornings a smoothie made with spinach, half a banana, some water, and some blueberries.

Lunch:  Burrito bowl--lots of lettuce with some brown rice, black beans, corn, tomato, avocado, and salsa.  Or maybe a baked potato with salsa or soup that doesn't have processed fat(oil) or meat in it.  When sauteing veggies, always use water to prevent sticking not oil.

Dinner:  once you find some good recipes just rotate through them.  Some good cookbooks are "The China Study cookbook" and "Forks Over Knives".  

We have animals in our freezer from our 4H projects so I feed the family meat about 2x per week.   

It is a myth that we can't get enough protein just by eating a plant based diet.  We don't need as much protein as the meat industry would have us believe.  Do a little research on it--my eyes sure were opened.  Watch the Tedx talk by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn on you-tube.  Fascinating.

Check out glycemic index and diabetes.  This is basically low carb, but with some differences.  The thing is something that takes more to digest is going to be better.  How you cook or don't cook carbs make a difference.  Mashed potatoes or baked potatoes that are cooked till soft are super easy to digest and therefore are high glycemic index carbs.  A raw potato would be much better.  Your body has to work more to digest it.  The same is true with carrot and other starchy veggies.  

0 carb food has a glycemic index of 0.  This website has an extensive list of low medium and high glycemic index foods.  If you stick mostly to low gi foods then it will help a lot.  Another hint to make it easier is if a carb has lots of fiber it is going to be lower gi, so a moderate amount of beans is reasonable.  A moderate amount of bran is also reasonable.

I have been overweight most of my adult life and was eating low gi foods when I became pregnant with dd. I also only gained about 8 lbs while pregnant and my weight was down about 40 - 50 lbs a month after dd was born.  It take some time to really figure out, but it does work.

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

• Like 1

I have never washed zucchini noodles, I just use them with the salt. We are more likely to have low blood pressure here than high, so we are happy to have the extra salt.

Also, you really can do low carb high fat even if you have high cholesterol. Many people have successfully lowered their cholesterol using that diet. If you are concerned about too much animal fat then just use plant fat instead - nuts, coconut oil and cream, olive oil, avocado, etc.

I am pre-diabetic.  I think my liver was a big problem.  Bio-identical hormones had stressed my liver.  My cholesterol jumped up, too.  Read up on fatty liver and see if you think that could be an issue for you.  I stopped taking the hormones, stopped ingesting aspartame, and started taking milk thistle.  My latest labs show a drastic improvement.   

I'll add to the chorus that says you just need to test and test and test, different foods work for different people. I've had some blood sugar at times, most recently after a bout of stomach flu and testing doesn't generally reveal anything I can't feel with my body but it gives me the details that I need. I've found that around 100-200 or so carbs a day(total) seems to work very well to keep my levels fab(fasting below 92 and 2 hr post below 100- at which the chances for developing diabetes is lower and I feel the best). I do well with sweet potatoes, plantains and taro root I have to watch as they very easily jack me up too high, same with grains. I eat an apple with coconut cream to start the day and that actually works just fine as long. Another thing I've found with testing as that skipping breakfast jacks with my blood sugar, so I really try to avoid that even more now.

Good luck!

Another thing I've found with testing as that skipping breakfast jacks with my blood sugar, so I really try to avoid that even more now.

Yes, I've found that eating too little at times will cause my blood sugar to rise (probably the "dawn effect" where glucose is released by the liver) and that eating too few carbs can do the same.  I really need the right mix of carb/protein/fat and while I can get ballpark ideas from others, testing is the only way I can figure out more specifically what's best for my body.  

• Like 2