Menu

Your input needed for pre-diabetes (foods, food substitutes, menus, cookbooks, etc)

sheryl

Nurse called today to tell me that my labs all came back normal but my cholesterol and sugar a little high and I'm now considered pre-diabetic.    Oh no, how can this be?!  

Anyway, enter here and share with me your best tips to REVERSE pre-diabetes.   Full blown can not be reversed but pre can be is what I've heard over the years.

The little bit of research I've done said to reduce calories and fat. 

I've buy non-fat or low-fat dairy items.  Or, use coconut milk, almond milk, etc.  Sheep milk, etc.   That will help to cut down on cholesterol.

Additionally, he wants me to take a statin.  I'm going to go back on Red Rice Yeast and maybe Niacin which help with cholesterol.  They act like a statin and is why I took myself off, but he assures me that these 2 above are fine.

Reduce calories - ok, no brainer here.  I guess - tongue in cheek.  That leaves broccoli, lettuce and Trader Joe's pea shoots!  LOL!

Reduce fat.  Give up red meat.  And, give up on what kind of fat?  I dunno.   :)    Maybe I will have to give up butter.

See, I don't use chemicals and am an organic type of gal so that will be hard for me to do.  Still, I have the red label earth balance.  That will work right?

I don't want my dh and dd to suffer.  I was afraid to make/eat dinner tonight.  Silly me.  I ate grapes, 1 wasa sourdough crispbread and blueberries.  Oh joy!   I do like these foods but they are NOT hearty!

HELP!   Your suggestions should be with me REVERSING my pre-diabetic condition in mind.  THANKS!

• Like 1

I don't want my dh and dd to suffer.  I was afraid to make/eat dinner tonight.  Silly me.  I ate grapes, 1 wasa sourdough crispbread and blueberries.  Oh joy!   I do like these foods but they are NOT hearty!

They're also high in carbs, aka sugar. I'm just thinking here, but I'm not entirely sure that's your best bet...?

Instead of eating more fruit and breads, try eating more vegetables. About half your plate should be vegetables, especially high fiber vegetables, and of course you should eat more beans. Foods that are high in fiber will be more filling than blueberries and grapes and a bread product.

You also should be exercising at least 30 minutes a day.

• Like 4

My friend has had dramatic success in both losing weight and greatly improving several situations; one was pre-diabetes, another was fatty liver. I think another was either cholesterol or bp. She used Mark Hyman's "10 day blood sugar detox" and then she has (mostly) stayed on the "diet" (life-style and eating plan.)

Are you ready to do some research on this? It's hard when they first give you the diagnosis because all you hear is No No No. no cookies, no sugar no food!

You need to learn which foods are low carb and stick to those. Get on sparkpeople or myfitnespal and start tracking everything that you eat. Set a reasonable goal at first like Reduce carbs by 30% from what you are currently eating. start by getting your daily carbs under 100 grams, then work your way down from there.

There are tons of foods to eat that are diabetic-friendly (and I'm not talking chemical substitutes here). Meat, any above-the-ground veggies, cheese, nuts and nut butters. And whoever told you to avoid fat is wrong. Fat is your friend now. I'm not talking about sitting down and eating a cube of butter, but fat slows absorption of carbs in your stomach and it helps fill you up so you are less hungry.

So, yes, fruit becomes (very) rare treat. Same with any grain product. You make up for it with seasonings and extra veggies. Want something yummy? Toss bell peppers, onions, cauliflower and broccoli in olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast on a cookie sheet, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Amazingly decadent! Need that morning donut? Google Almond Flour Cream Cheese biscuits - these are my treat with coffee each morning slathered with butter.

I live in a house with two normal eaters. Carbs like pasta and potatos have become side dishes rather than the main entree. We eat lots of Mexican food - I just skip the tortillas and eat mine in a bowl. It can be overwhelming to begin with, but staving off diabetes is well worth the effort. Good Luck!

• Like 7

I was just diagnosed as prediabetic myself. I went to a dietician. I think you will find this easier than I did. Basically you need to eat 2-3 servings of protein and at least four servings of "category 1 veggies"*. No more than 2 fruit servings a day and no more than 1 grain serving a day. There are a couple of other recommendations but the big thing I got out of this is to eat as many of the below foods and less of everything else. These, of course, were personalized for me and I'm overweight but not obese.

*category 1 veggies servings are listed in my handy dandy little book as: artichokes, asparagus, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, bell or other peppers, broccoli, broccoflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chives, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, green beans, bok choy, escarole, Swiss chard, kale, collards, spinach, dandelion, mustard and beet greens, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, okra, onion, radishes, salsa, scallions, sea vegetables,msnow peas, sprouts, squash, Tomatos, water chestnuts.

• Like 1

Go paleo, and don't take a statin unless you have other factors other then slightly high cholesterol. Cholesterol is needed in the body and is vital for cell repair.

If you eat paleo, try the 21 day sugar detox. If you are not paleo and want to ease into it try the 21 day sugar detox. Do not try the detox if you are prone to loose weight too fast and you are in danger of being under weight. You may loose weight on the detox.

I have done a detox and eat paleo if you need help. 😉

• Like 1

My husband was diagnosed pre-diabetic over a year ago. The doctor told him to cut out fat, to exercise, and to take metformin - the entry-level diabetes drug. dH refused to take the medication. He read the book "Sugar Nation" and decided to go Paleo: low carb, high protein, high veggies. It felt like a risk when he started, because we didn't know exactly what would happen. 

Well, after a few months, he lost 30 lbs and he is no longer pre-diabetic. He cheats every now and then, maybe one meal a week, and he's been ok. 

I realize there are many different opinions and methods. This is just our story. I hope you find something that works for you. 

Best wishes. You can do this!

• Like 8

http://www.forksoverknives.com/

I cannot agree wirh any paleo recommendations. The american cancer society position statement is very clear - plant based for prevention of cancer. You don't want to reverse diabetes and fall into a worse illness.

coming back to add this:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/diabetestwo- which provides summaries and references for plant based diet effect on type 2 diabetes

• Like 3

All,

My heartfelt thanks to each reply.   I'm going to revisit this thread tomorrow, Th, as I'm headed off to bed.   I read each reply and now need to make notes (cheat sheet for the fridge) and read the links you suggested. 

I wanted to add that I've always been moderately active.  However, I've gotten lazy over the last few years.  I'm back to walking again.  5K at 3x/wk.  The other 2 days I'm riding the stationary bike.  That may not be enough.   I'm needing more exercise ideas.  However, experts say losing weight is more about what you eat...80 % food and 20 % exercise.  

I've been under a great amount of stress and am wondering if that contributed to anything.

H.  this is what I was saying - animal meat/fat is not good for people.  Even for those who are not against eating meat for the sake of eating animal meat, it's not a healthy food choice.  It is acidic and that causes a host of problems.    My dr. did say veggies, beans, nuts. 

But, honestly people, for this Ohio-born girl who grew up on the typical American diet in the 60's, THIS IS GOING TO BE HARD!  

Let me be sarcastic and say that my food choices have dropped by hmmm, what, 50 %?   OK, now for my optimistic take - I'm thankful that I have a good opportunity (right?) to reverse this.

I'll respond more tomorrow.

THANKS!

• Like 2

Seconding Mark Hyman. Another good book is his Blood Sugar Solution. My sister recently had a similar diagnosis and had been following his plan for about 8 weeks. She has list 12 pounds without radically changing her exercise, but more importantly, has lowered her cholesterol and feels tons better.

However, experts say losing weight is more about what you eat...80 % food and 20 % exercise.

Yes, but losing weight isn't the be-all and end-all of health, even when it comes to insulin resistance and being pre-diabetic. Exercise has benefits beyond weight loss, and - most pertinently - will help your insulin resistance all on its own. (Scroll to the conclusion. I did.)

But, honestly people, for this Ohio-born girl who grew up on the typical American diet in the 60's, THIS IS GOING TO BE HARD!

Is it psychologically hard because you aren't used to it, or logistically hard because you don't have the recipes and don't know what to cook? I'm not good at acting sympathetic (even when I am), but I'm really good at spamming people with recipes, if that's what you need.

• Like 2

Some good reads:

"Diabetes:  Your First Year"  (lots of advice in this one is useful for prevention as well)

"Reversing Diabetes"

The main reason why diabetics are often counseled to eat low amounts of saturated fats is that diabetes greatly increases the risk of heart attacks, so preventative diet for heart trouble is recommended for diabetics as well.  Something to keep in mind--exercise and leafy green veggies are great for both things--it is almost impossible to have too much of either one, so that's pretty much a no brainer. In the rest of the info there are some conflicting data and theories floating around.

My DH was told that he was developing pre-diabetes 14 years ago.  He made a radical change in his diet.  He eats mostly lean protein and greens, pretty low carbs.  He also lost a lot of weight and exercises more.  His tendencies have not progressed, and that is with two diabetic parents.  He is 67 and I am hopeful that he will avoid getting diabetes at all.

• Like 2

Fat is your friend. Fat slows carb absorption, and carbs are what raise you blood sugar. Do not go low fat. Go low carb. 

Regular exercise increases insulin sensitivity and basically helps your body do a better job processing sugar. Exercise daily if possible. I can't quite handle that, so I take off one day a week to rest and recover, but my exercise of choice is pretty rough on the body.

Also, I was formerly considered full blown diabetic and have been downgraded to "metabolic syndrome" because my A1C has been below 6 pretty consistently for a few years now. So not truly reversed, but managed without medication due to significant lifestyle changes.

• Like 6

I agree to go with the plant-based diet as much as possible and not start on statins just yet. I would try to see if a change in diet would work. Some meat can be ok.

Our local Seventh Day Adventist church has been putting on seminars about the "Newstart' lifestyle.   http://newstart.com/#sthash.XnrxBIBR.dpbs 

I do not belong to this church and I am not over-weight, nor have any medical issues. I have gone to 2 seminars so that I can learn more about healthier eating and reducing the risk of diabetes, reducing cholesterol... I have been eating less animal based foods and have increased my water intake. I feel better knowing I am making better choices.    

One lady in class, who also does not belong to this congregation, testified that in the last month she has gone to a plant based diet. Her doctor is seeing results and is asking what she is doing as she has cut her insulin intake level in half to help control her diabetes, all in 1 month! Although the adjustment hasn't been easy, she is so thrilled with her success and will continue. 

https://www.facebook.com/newstart is another useful site. You might want to try connecting with your local SDA church to see if they are doing any seminars. They don't appear to be trying to convert anyone, just sharing a healthier lifestyle.

It really isn't that difficult, just a different mind-set. Best wishes, and please keep us updated on your progress!

Too much fruit and flour based products are no longer your friend. Non-starchy vegetables should be half your plate. They don't need to be boring. Lean meats are good, not sausages, bacons, lunch meats. Grains in their natural state (brown rice, barley, faro) in maybe 1/2 c portions with a meal are ok generally. Avoiding creamy sauces and too much butter will help reduce calories but not fat-free, chemical storms. You need some fat though. I like olive oil. Check out Mediterranean eating.

• Like 1

I really don't understand the "low fat" advice for diabetes. What on earth does fat have to do with it?  My mother was given a low fat diet when she was diagnosed and her diabetes did nothing but get worse.  It's easy enough to eat very low fat because pretty much every product out there has a low or no fat version, but those products almost always have more sugar and carbs too!

I recommend researching the various low carb diets out there and finding one that sounds the most appealing to you and that you feel you can stick to.

• Like 4

When I was diagnosed, my doctor said to severely limit, if not cut completely, all white foods. Rice, potatoes, sugar, all things I love. *sigh* She didn't give me any other information. I talked my my mom who has diabetes and she said the nutritionist put her on a diet of no more than 150 grams of carbs a day, so that is what I aim for. My A1C dropped considerably. Also, exercise is important. I'm still working on that though.

• Like 3

When I was diagnosed, my doctor said to severely limit, if not cut completely, all white foods. Rice, potatoes, sugar, all things I love. *sigh* She didn't give me any other information. I talked my my mom who has diabetes and she said the nutritionist put her on a diet of no more than 150 grams of carbs a day, so that is what I aim for. My A1C dropped considerably. Also, exercise is important. I'm still working on that though.

This is what my mom did.  She cut out all white foods.  Rice, potatoes, sugar, breads, cereals.  Cutting out ice cream almost killed her.  :)  She had nearly perfected (so she thought) the Doritos, ice cream and diet coke diet!

But... she did exactly what her doc said.  She lost about 50 lbs over time, and is no longer considered diabetic (she was past pre-diabetes, btw).  She's kept it off for ... 4 years, I think.  

She became very into seasonal fruit treats, and would have one serving of a seasonal, special fruit each day.  

Once her blood sugar had been under control for some time, she added in some whole grains in small portions. 

• Like 1

I really don't understand the "low fat" advice for diabetes. What on earth does fat have to do with it?

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. And yet the standard advice is to cut back on fat. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I have reactive hypoglycemia and pre-diabetic blood sugar numbers, and yet I keep my blood sugar perfectly normal when I eat low-carb and high-fat. If I eat the amount of carbs that is recommended by all of the "experts", my blood sugar goes crazy. This is a no-brainer for me.

My cholesterol numbers also improved when I went low-carb. My HDL is now very high: over 90. And my triglycerides have dropped.

• Like 5

I believe the advice of cutting fat is appropriate only when the person is also substantially overweight . Then it makes sense becaus the goal is quick and extensive weight loss since for many, just losing weight will resolve the problem. For prediabetics and diabetics who are in healthy bmi zone, dietary fats are important as they help regulate blood sugars.

The SDA groups mentioned above are well worth checking out. SDA is one of the sources for several of the longest running studies on plant based diets. They've been followed for decades now and have quite interesting health profiles....

For just dropping your A1C I would recommend low carb/high fat (it worked for me, I am no longer prediabetic), but since you are trying to lower your cholesterol as well, the high fat part will be trickier. You need to focus on increasing plant-based fats like olive oil and nuts and decreasing the animal-based fats like cheese and fatty meat (I know there are different schools of thought on that, but that has worked amazingly well for several family members who needed to lower their cholesterol).

For me, I needed to keep my carb intake entirely complex carbs, and stay between 75-100 carbs/day. My FIL stayed at 120 carbs a day (primarily complex carbs, but some simple carbs as well) and he no longer has type II diabetes; his A1C slowly dropped over the course of two years. He still stays at around 120 carbs/day to maintain, though he often has more simple carbs than complex carbs so he doesn't lose any weight. I have found that my body reacts quite differently to simple and complex carbs (duh!), and the type of carbs I eat is almost more important than my total carb intake.

• Like 1

the type of carbs I eat is almost more important than my total carb intake.

Yes.  Check out lists of high glycemic vs. low glycemic foods.  You might need to test to see what you react to and when.  I can get away with a bit higher carbs at breakfast because my body will metabolize them faster then.  Later in the day I can't and need to stick to lower carb/ lower glycemic foods.  

• Like 1

I believe the advice of cutting fat is appropriate only when the person is also substantially overweight . Then it makes sense becaus the goal is quick and extensive weight loss since for many, just losing weight will resolve the problem. For prediabetics and diabetics who are in healthy bmi zone, dietary fats are important as they help regulate blood sugars.

The SDA groups mentioned above are well worth checking out. SDA is one of the sources for several of the longest running studies on plant based diets. They've been followed for decades now and have quite interesting health profiles....

I've lost weight on low carb high fat diets.  I mean it was literally a FAT diet where the bulk of my calories came from fat. And not plant based fat either.

• Like 1

But cutting out fat does not help most people to lose weight.  Avoid the bad fats.  Embrace the good fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts) but in moderation.  

I suspect the diabetes advice is in large part the way it is because it's so moderate.  Meaning telling someone they can't ever have bread again, well that's not going to fly for a lot of people and many won't follow it forever. But honestly if they could stop eating stuff like bread 95% of the time most would be better off with regards to controlling blood sugar issues.

Lot of diabetes in my family.  I'm not super low carb, but I've watched carbs for years hoping to stave off diabetes.  I probably never go above 100 grams and typically I'm around 70 grams.  So far so good (I'm 40).  My sister was diagnosed in her early 30s.  Her diabetes is completely out of control despite following the typical diabetes diet.  She has to take pills and shots. AND she is underweight.  Not overweight.  I'm currently overweight and still no issues with blood sugar, but I am moderate to low with carbs.  If I want to lose weight I need to go below 70.  It's just harder because I like some carby foods! 

There are some conditions where fat is a problem.  Not saying it's never a problem.  But diabetes...pah..I don't believe it for one second.

This has already been suggested, but definitely try a plant-based diet. I switched to this two years ago due to a cholesterol condition I inherited from my mother. Before the diet change, my total cholesterol was in the 370s (I've averaged 125 pounds most of my adult life, so it had nothing to do with being over weight). Two years later with only a change in diet, it is down to 240 (still high for the average person, but excellent for me). Because of the condition I have, my cholesterol levels will never be "normal". But my OB is very pleased (I have a healthy 8 month old who has been fed entirely plant-based since conception ;), and a 3 year old and 5 year old who are also on a plant-based diet with their pediatricians approval and "thumbs up"). 

A plant-based diet is not as difficult as you might think. I live in the south, surrounded by pork barbecue and hushpuppies, and have done just fine!

Hey wtm'ers,

Busy morning. Found a lot of your replies in my Inbox. When I get home I will reread of the responses. I found a diabetic support group. I'm in the parking lot at the facility in which tjey meet which is the first Monday of each month. I'll be coming back. Talk to you all soon.

My thanks!

• Like 1

I'm going to try to respond to each one or at least try.   Thanks for all of the amazing input!  I'm grateful!

They're also high in carbs, aka sugar. I'm just thinking here, but I'm not entirely sure that's your best bet...?

Instead of eating more fruit and breads, try eating more vegetables. About half your plate should be vegetables, especially high fiber vegetables, and of course you should eat more beans. Foods that are high in fiber will be more filling than blueberries and grapes and a bread product.

You also should be exercising at least 30 minutes a day.

Yes, that's right fruits are high in sugar.  I'm going to choose mostly "berries", peaches and other low-glycemic ones.  Yea!  Half the plate with veggies.....?  Raw, steamed, etc?   I would LOVE for you to give me an example. 

Check out the book Trim Healthy Mama.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reminder.  My friend told me about THM about a year ago.

My friend has had dramatic success in both losing weight and greatly improving several situations; one was pre-diabetes, another was fatty liver. I think another was either cholesterol or bp. She used Mark Hyman's "10 day blood sugar detox" and then she has (mostly) stayed on the "diet" (life-style and eating plan.)

will check in to it.  THANKS!

Are you ready to do some research on this? It's hard when they first give you the diagnosis because all you hear is No No No. no cookies, no sugar no food!

You need to learn which foods are low carb and stick to those. Get on sparkpeople or myfitnespal and start tracking everything that you eat. Set a reasonable goal at first like Reduce carbs by 30% from what you are currently eating. start by getting your daily carbs under 100 grams, then work your way down from there.

There are tons of foods to eat that are diabetic-friendly (and I'm not talking chemical substitutes here). Meat, any above-the-ground veggies, cheese, nuts and nut butters. And whoever told you to avoid fat is wrong. Fat is your friend now. I'm not talking about sitting down and eating a cube of butter, but fat slows absorption of carbs in your stomach and it helps fill you up so you are less hungry.

So, yes, fruit becomes (very) rare treat. Same with any grain product. You make up for it with seasonings and extra veggies. Want something yummy? Toss bell peppers, onions, cauliflower and broccoli in olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast on a cookie sheet, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Amazingly decadent! Need that morning donut? Google Almond Flour Cream Cheese biscuits - these are my treat with coffee each morning slathered with butter.

I live in a house with two normal eaters. Carbs like pasta and potatos have become side dishes rather than the main entree. We eat lots of Mexican food - I just skip the tortillas and eat mine in a bowl. It can be overwhelming to begin with, but staving off diabetes is well worth the effort. Good Luck!

Low carb - yes.  Got it. 

Need more research on the fat thing.  I have weight to lose so may jumpstart with low fat as well. But, I know women (or just post menop ones) need a fair amt. of cholesterol to protect heart.

I started Lose It and would average 100 g. of carbs a day.  I found it very hard to do but I will just "have" to do it.

No root veggies, right?  No more corn, carrots, obviously white potatoes.   Really?  No corn on July 4th or Thanksgiving? 

Cheese, nut/butters - good. 

So, you'll have "some" carbs but as a side dish?  Small serving of grain pasta, not white, right?  Or brown rice and not white?  Sweet potato and not white? 

Thanks for the veggie idea. I do something similar but will adapt to sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and "up top" for the biscuit recipe. 

I was just diagnosed as prediabetic myself. I went to a dietician. I think you will find this easier than I did. Basically you need to eat 2-3 servings of protein and at least four servings of "category 1 veggies"*. No more than 2 fruit servings a day and no more than 1 grain serving a day. There are a couple of other recommendations but the big thing I got out of this is to eat as many of the below foods and less of everything else. These, of course, were personalized for me and I'm overweight but not obese.

*category 1 veggies servings are listed in my handy dandy little book as: artichokes, asparagus, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, bell or other peppers, broccoli, broccoflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chives, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, green beans, bok choy, escarole, Swiss chard, kale, collards, spinach, dandelion, mustard and beet greens, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, okra, onion, radishes, salsa, scallions, sea vegetables,msnow peas, sprouts, squash, Tomatos, water chestnuts.

My dr. is writing a referral for me to go to a dietician.   The cat 1 foods are the ones you eat the most of?  Is there cat 2, etc?  2 fruits a day?  ok, I can do that except it's different with berries, right?   1 grain serving.  I don't know how that's possible.  Help me on that.  That's 1 slice of grain bread?

Go paleo, and don't take a statin unless you have other factors other then slightly high cholesterol. Cholesterol is needed in the body and is vital for cell repair.

If you eat paleo, try the 21 day sugar detox. If you are not paleo and want to ease into it try the 21 day sugar detox. Do not try the detox if you are prone to loose weight too fast and you are in danger of being under weight. You may loose weight on the detox.

I have done a detox and eat paleo if you need help. 😉

Me losing weight too fast - rotflol

The detox is good.  I drink a daily lemon detox tea.  But, the hefty detox I've not done. 

Paleo - I need to research this more.

How is this different from the Daniel Diet?

Ditto the Paleo advice.  Nom Nom Paleo site has some good recipes.  I also second Sparkpeople. 

Thanks! 

I went on Atkins, lost 33 lbs and the pre-diabetes status.  I walked 5 miles a day 6 days a week.   

Fat is not bad for you...the carbs and sugar are.

I reread an old article on Atkins. 

I'm interested though in consuming less meat. I'm not a big animal/meat eater to begin with, but would like to reduce the animal fat consumption.

Congrats, Tammy!  Do you still walk 6 days/5 miles each day?   I've picked up my exercise again, but will now make it more consistent again and go back to resistance training using free weights, etc.  Would like to go back to using my "bands" but I need more exercise ideas and don't want to spend hours at a computer to find them! 

My husband was diagnosed pre-diabetic over a year ago. The doctor told him to cut out fat, to exercise, and to take metformin - the entry-level diabetes drug. dH refused to take the medication. He read the book "Sugar Nation" and decided to go Paleo: low carb, high protein, high veggies. It felt like a risk when he started, because we didn't know exactly what would happen. 

Well, after a few months, he lost 30 lbs and he is no longer pre-diabetic. He cheats every now and then, maybe one meal a week, and he's been ok. 

I realize there are many different opinions and methods. This is just our story. I hope you find something that works for you. 

Best wishes. You can do this!

Aww, thanks much!  So glad he's doing better.  That's my aim and prayer.

Practical Paleo has tons of meal plans for all kinds of conditions/ diseases. The recipes we have tried have all been really good.

Will check out the site. 

http://www.forksoverknives.com/

I cannot agree wirh any paleo recommendations. The american cancer society position statement is very clear - plant based for prevention of cancer. You don't want to reverse diabetes and fall into a worse illness.

coming back to add this:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/diabetestwo- which provides summaries and references for plant based diet effect on type 2 diabetes

will check In to these.  Thanks, H.

:grouphug:  forgot to send those hugs!  You're stressed & this is adding to your worries. But you can do it! Here's to a vibrant & healthy you.

aww, thanks.  well, only a little stressed.  i'm figuring out now how to cook differently.  do I make my dh/dd adapt to my way or make 2 of every meal!  Joy!  More food to be around!  :confused1:    :grouphug:   back at ya.

Seconding Mark Hyman. Another good book is his Blood Sugar Solution. My sister recently had a similar diagnosis and had been following his plan for about 8 weeks. She has list 12 pounds without radically changing her exercise, but more importantly, has lowered her cholesterol and feels tons better.

will check it out.  thanks and glad to hear she's improved with her efforts!

Yes, but losing weight isn't the be-all and end-all of health, even when it comes to insulin resistance and being pre-diabetic. Exercise has benefits beyond weight loss, and - most pertinently - will help your insulin resistance all on its own. (Scroll to the conclusion. I did.)

Is it psychologically hard because you aren't used to it, or logistically hard because you don't have the recipes and don't know what to cook? I'm not good at acting sympathetic (even when I am), but I'm really good at spamming people with recipes, if that's what you need.

Yes, spam me with recipes.  I was going to ask at the end of the replies (she says as she puts a 1/2 sourdough wasa crsipbread in her mouth with 1/5 t. peanut butter).  :)   Spam away!  Yes, my research said to add resistance training to my plan.   I've known this for decades - "toned" muscles, they used to say, burns calories 30 % more efficiently.

Some good reads:

"Diabetes:  Your First Year"  (lots of advice in this one is useful for prevention as well)

"Reversing Diabetes"

The main reason why diabetics are often counseled to eat low amounts of saturated fats is that diabetes greatly increases the risk of heart attacks, so preventative diet for heart trouble is recommended for diabetics as well.  Something to keep in mind--exercise and leafy green veggies are great for both things--it is almost impossible to have too much of either one, so that's pretty much a no brainer. In the rest of the info there are some conflicting data and theories floating around.

My DH was told that he was developing pre-diabetes 14 years ago.  He made a radical change in his diet.  He eats mostly lean protein and greens, pretty low carbs.  He also lost a lot of weight and exercises more.  His tendencies have not progressed, and that is with two diabetic parents.  He is 67 and I am hopeful that he will avoid getting diabetes at all.

Carol, That is great (about your dh)!  I'm encouraged y'all are sharing your stories and "how-to's" with me!  Is non-animal fat sat. fat better for one than animal sat. fat?  I just need to know I can eat more than veggies.  ???

Fat is your friend. Fat slows carb absorption, and carbs are what raise you blood sugar. Do not go low fat. Go low carb. 

Regular exercise increases insulin sensitivity and basically helps your body do a better job processing sugar. Exercise daily if possible. I can't quite handle that, so I take off one day a week to rest and recover, but my exercise of choice is pretty rough on the body.

Also, I was formerly considered full blown diabetic and have been downgraded to "metabolic syndrome" because my A1C has been below 6 pretty consistently for a few years now. So not truly reversed, but managed without medication due to significant lifestyle changes.

I know there are good/bad fats and that's what I'm trying to figure out.  No animal source and yes to plant-based fats.  I think I'm getting this.  Low carb.  Yes, need more ideas on daily intake of food that will extend beyond veggies only. LOL!  I'm adding a 6th day to my exercise schedule but will take 1 day off, probably Sundays.

Thanks for sharing your new status.  CONGRATS!!!

I agree to go with the plant-based diet as much as possible and not start on statins just yet. I would try to see if a change in diet would work. Some meat can be ok.

Our local Seventh Day Adventist church has been putting on seminars about the "Newstart' lifestyle.   http://newstart.com/#sthash.XnrxBIBR.dpbs 

I do not belong to this church and I am not over-weight, nor have any medical issues. I have gone to 2 seminars so that I can learn more about healthier eating and reducing the risk of diabetes, reducing cholesterol... I have been eating less animal based foods and have increased my water intake. I feel better knowing I am making better choices.    

One lady in class, who also does not belong to this congregation, testified that in the last month she has gone to a plant based diet. Her doctor is seeing results and is asking what she is doing as she has cut her insulin intake level in half to help control her diabetes, all in 1 month! Although the adjustment hasn't been easy, she is so thrilled with her success and will continue. 

https://www.facebook.com/newstart is another useful site. You might want to try connecting with your local SDA church to see if they are doing any seminars. They don't appear to be trying to convert anyone, just sharing a healthier lifestyle.

It really isn't that difficult, just a different mind-set. Best wishes, and please keep us updated on your progress!

Thanks *****!  My brother was diagnosed with pre 10-15 years ago. I decided this was something I did not want and found a support group.  I took my then little dd with me to a few of the meetings.  I stopped going.  Today, after dropping dd off at math class I went to the hospital that hosted the support group.  They no longer have one. But, there is another support group that meets around the corner the first M of every month. So, you know where I'll be April 6th!  Maybe it's another group and maybe it's the same one and they moved.  I just know I need the help and accountability.  Also, needs tips, recipes, etc. 

Too much fruit and flour based products are no longer your friend. Non-starchy vegetables should be half your plate. They don't need to be boring. Lean meats are good, not sausages, bacons, lunch meats. Grains in their natural state (brown rice, barley, faro) in maybe 1/2 c portions with a meal are ok generally. Avoiding dreamt sauces and too much butter will help reduce calories but not fat-free, chemical storms. You need some fat though. I like olive oil. Check out Mediterranean eating.

Right, ditch the flour.  Fruit, sparingly.  Word - ??? 

I really don't understand the "low fat" advice for diabetes. What on earth does fat have to do with it?  My mother was given a low fat diet when she was diagnosed and her diabetes did nothing but get worse.  It's easy enough to eat very low fat because pretty much every product out there has a low or no fat version, but those products almost always have more sugar and carbs too!

I recommend researching the various low carb diets out there and finding one that sounds the most appealing to you and that you feel you can stick to.

People with diabetes are more likely to have heart issues.

Thanks!  I know - no whites.  Bummer, but need to get used to it.  I'm going to try for 100 carbs/day but this is hard for me.  Now I have a new motivator though.  Glad you and your Mom are doing well with it!

This is what my mom did.  She cut out all white foods.  Rice, potatoes, sugar, breads, cereals.  Cutting out ice cream almost killed her.   :)  She had nearly perfected (so she thought) the Doritos, ice cream and diet coke diet!

But... she did exactly what her doc said.  She lost about 50 lbs over time, and is no longer considered diabetic (she was past pre-diabetes, btw).  She's kept it off for ... 4 years, I think.  

She became very into seasonal fruit treats, and would have one serving of a seasonal, special fruit each day.  

Once her blood sugar had been under control for some time, she added in some whole grains in small portions. 

That's good to know she was full blown and is now not even diabetic!  Wonderful!

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. And yet the standard advice is to cut back on fat. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I have reactive hypoglycemia and pre-diabetic blood sugar numbers, and yet I keep my blood sugar perfectly normal when I eat low-carb and high-fat. If I eat the amount of carbs that is recommended by all of the "experts", my blood sugar goes crazy. This is a no-brainer for me.

My cholesterol numbers also improved when I went low-carb. My HDL is now very high: over 90. And my triglycerides have dropped.

I think it's both.  Less no bad fat and yes to "limited" amts. of good fats.  Carbs - mostly out the window.

I do believe that I "partly" got in to this problem b/c I snack (used to snack now) on carbs - tortilla chips. 

But cutting out fat does not help most people to lose weight.  Avoid the bad fats.  Embrace the good fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts) but in moderation.  

That's it in a nutshell.  Yea for nuts!  And, lower the carbs!

For just dropping your A1C I would recommend low carb/high fat (it worked for me, I am no longer prediabetic), but since you are trying to lower your cholesterol as well, the high fat part will be trickier. You need to focus on increasing plant-based fats like olive oil and nuts and decreasing the animal-based fats like cheese and fatty meat (I know there are different schools of thought on that, but that has worked amazingly well for several family members who needed to lower their cholesterol).

For me, I needed to keep my carb intake entirely complex carbs, and stay between 75-100 carbs/day. My FIL stayed at 120 carbs a day (primarily complex carbs, but some simple carbs as well) and he no longer has type II diabetes; his A1C slowly dropped over the course of two years. He still stays at around 120 carbs/day to maintain, though he often has more simple carbs than complex carbs so he doesn't lose any weight. I have found that my body reacts quite differently to simple and complex carbs (duh!), and the type of carbs I eat is almost more important than my total carb intake.

Plant fats - yes.  Animal - no (not red).  Although chicken and fish in moderation is o.k.   I assumed low/no - fat cheese would be o.k.  NO?  Love these stories you all are sharing.  Way to go for your FIL.  Impressive!  75 g/day.  Wow.  How do you do that?

This has already been suggested, but definitely try a plant-based diet. I switched to this two years ago due to a cholesterol condition I inherited from my mother. Before the diet change, my total cholesterol was in the 370s (I've averaged 125 pounds most of my adult life, so it had nothing to do with being over weight). Two years later with only a change in diet, it is down to 240 (still high for the average person, but excellent for me). Because of the condition I have, my cholesterol levels will never be "normal". But my OB is very pleased (I have a healthy 8 month old who has been fed entirely plant-based since conception ;), and a 3 year old and 5 year old who are also on a plant-based diet with their pediatricians approval and "thumbs up"). 

A plant-based diet is not as difficult as you might think. I live in the south, surrounded by pork barbecue and hushpuppies, and have done just fine!

Hey, I'm a southerner now too!  Congrats on your new numbers.  Keep up the good work. 

Practical Paleo is a book. She might have a site, too, though.

I found the book through my library.

Costco has it right now, too.

Thanks, will check it out.

And SparklyUnicorn - quote:  Meaning telling someone they can't ever have bread again, well that's not going to fly for a lot of people and many won't follow it forever. But honestly if they could stop eating stuff like bread 95% of the time most would be better off with regards to controlling blood sugar issues.

This is what I'm saying as well.  I KNOW I HAVE to cut down/back on my carbs but I can't see not ever having a nice sandwich once in a while.  What do y'all do as a bread replacement then.  As a pp said, try the almond meal recipe for bread, maybe.  What about low carb tortillas?  I've already switched to some low carb stuff over the last 1-2 years.  I bet my issue comes from my snacking - which I can no longer do.  OR, snack on nuts, seeds......pass me another plate of veggies! :)

So where is the oodles of evidence that saturated fats cause heart disease?  I don't mean someone just saying that it does. 

I don't know about research studies and stats published in jama or such.   I just trust most sites when they start saying the same thing.  

I get where you're coming from.   Don't believe it b/c someone is saying it and/or prove it with stats but I have to tell you I'm trusting people a bit more than that.  With that said, I am doing my research to become informed. 

What do y'all do as a bread replacement then.

1. Whole grains are better than refined.

2. Thinner slices of bread are better than thicker ones.

3. Smaller slices better than bigger ones.

Of course, you can replace the bread with lettuce or somesuch if you like. But if you're determined to have bread, one sandwich in the contexts of a mainly low-carb diet probably isn't what's going to tip the scale, especially if there isn't, well, much bread by weight.

Thanks Tanaqui!  

Sparkly,  here ya go.....from the diabetes.org website. 

Before people develop type 2 diabetesa condition characterized by high blood glucose levels caused by either a lack of insulin or the body's inability to use insulin efficiently. Type 2 diabetes develops most often in middle-aged and older adults but can appear in young people.X, they almost always have "prediabetesa condition in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal but are not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. People with prediabetes are at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes and for heart disease and stroke. Other names for prediabetes are impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glucose.X" — blood glucose levels that are higher than normal but not yet high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.

Doctors sometimes refer to prediabetes as impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) or impaired fasting glucose (IFG), depending on what test was used when it was detected. This condition puts you at a higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseasedisease of the heart and blood vessels (arteries, veins and capillaries).X.

From Mayo Clinic:  Prediabetes means that your blood sugar level is higher than normal but not yet high enough to be classified as type 2 diabetes. Without intervention, prediabetes is likely to become type 2 diabetes in 10 years or less. If you have prediabetes, the long-term damage of diabetes — especially to your heart and circulatory system — may already be starting.

HTH!

Pre-diabetic means that you are insulin resistant.  Just how insulin resistant is going to vary from person to person with different foods to some extent.  I strongly suggest that you get a glucometer and test for now.  You can get a cheap meter at Walgreens or Walmart with inexpensive test strips.  Or you can get a free meter online and get test strips for more (though ins. will cover the cost of some of it with some plans).  Figure out what your body can handle.

I had 3 eggs this morning (they have a undeserved bad rap for causing cholesterol problems) and a cut up apple.  I put nut butter on the apple.  That was  my "bread".  My bloodsugar two hours after eating was a very healthy 87.  

For lunch I had a salad with a healthy amount of protein (pork tenderloin plus a tbs. of goat cheese for that creaminess that makes me feel satiated.)  (4 oz. which seems like a lot but does a lot towards keeping my bloodsugars stable).  I had a dessert of two squares of organic dark chocolate with almonds in it.  

I haven't tested my sugars yet since I just had lunch but I had the exact same lunch yesterday and my 2 hours postprandial reading was 112 (under 120 is good.  Could it be better?  Sure but lunch is a time when my metabolism has trouble.   I cannot seem to handle any breads at lunch even before I went gluten free but I could have a slice at breakfast and would still have a nice low number).

I've tested and I can have 1/3 of a cup of brown rice (not white) with a ton of chicken stir-fry for dinner and my numbers will be fine.  Go over 1/3 of a cup and my body can't handle it.  Some people can't handle it at all.  

• Like 1

Thanks Tanaqui!  

Sparkly,  here ya go.....from the diabetes.org website. 

Before people develop type 2 diabetesa condition characterized by high blood glucose levels caused by either a lack of insulin or the body's inability to use insulin efficiently. Type 2 diabetes develops most often in middle-aged and older adults but can appear in young people.X, they almost always have "prediabetesa condition in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal but are not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. People with prediabetes are at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes and for heart disease and stroke. Other names for prediabetes are impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glucose.X" — blood glucose levels that are higher than normal but not yet high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.

Doctors sometimes refer to prediabetes as impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) or impaired fasting glucose (IFG), depending on what test was used when it was detected. This condition puts you at a higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseasedisease of the heart and blood vessels (arteries, veins and capillaries).X.

From Mayo Clinic:  Prediabetes means that your blood sugar level is higher than normal but not yet high enough to be classified as type 2 diabetes. Without intervention, prediabetes is likely to become type 2 diabetes in 10 years or less. If you have prediabetes, the long-term damage of diabetes — especially to your heart and circulatory system — may already be starting.

HTH!

Possibly there is a connection from damage due to diabetes.  But if one cannot control their diabetes with the current typical advice, I'm not all that impressed.  I have never ever met a person who reversed pre diabetes or full diabetes from following the typical advice, but I have met those who have done so following low carb.  What a lot of people tell diabetics is "moderation" and "low fat".  So my sister thinks ok I'll have a small amount of rice.  It's moderate right?  Followed by a container of fat free yogurt.  It's a small container and fat free so it must be moderate.  I'll only have a small piece of lasagna because they told me moderate and it's made with fat free dairy.  Her blood sugars are toxicly high on a regular basis.  She is not overweight and generally eats like a bird.  She follows their advice. 

• Like 1

The advice here, and everywhere, including from doctors, is going to be mixed.  I've watched my dad develop diabetes - it runs very heavily in his family and he's always been a slight man with a good diet.  His solution was drastically reducing carbs.  In your situation, I'd start a diabetes diet to reverse the progression in that direction.  But, like I said, the advice is everywhere and all over the board - low fat/high carb, high fat/low carb, vegan, atkins, etc.  Hard to know just what to do.  But, my first step would be cutting sugar and other non-veggie carbs.  I'd load up on veggies over fruit (so hard, I love fruit).  I wouldn't cut fat from non-meat sources.  I'd eat nuts, avocados, coconut oil, etc.  Lots of luck.

• Like 1

I agree the advice will be mixed.  I don't think you should necessarily listen to anyone here.  I just encourage you to consider all sides.  Even those sides that don't support the current "wisdom".  Despite all of this "wisdom" there are record numbers of people with out of control diabetes.  If that were the solution, I'd hope things wouldn't actually be getting worse.