Menu

Reading, Iiterature for 2nd grade

My 2nd grader is an advanced reader. For the past two years I have Iet her choose what she wants to read. I have her read to me a IittIe and also read alone. I ask her some basic questions about what she read. But should I be doing a reading or Literature program or something more structured.

I Iooked at R&S, CLE, VP, & MP.  But I don't know what to Iook for in a reading or Iit program or what grade to put her in. She couId probabIy read up to the high schooI IeveI but I don't think she could do aII the comprehension or activities in the workbooks.

I hope this makes sense. :-) 

The books Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus from Royal Fireworks Press have helped me figure out how to discuss books in more depth with my precocious reader. They list the titles, so I would get whatever level has books that fit current reading preferences rather than go by the grade levels on the books.

That said, I know that there are many parents out there who are simply better at asking great, creative questions than I am. Without some prompts, I stuck with basic comprehension questions. Suppose the Wolf... bases their questions loosely on Bloom's Taxonomy, giving example questions for each book at different levels. While it has helped me ask better questions and have better discussions, I doubt I will buy more levels of the series because the books that I own have taught me how to ask better questions.

It's not a full program, but neither do I feel the need for a full program.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry with any study guides unless you use them as a source for discussion questions that you do orally. You can casually just talk about the book with her like you would with a friend and get an idea of her comprehension. You don't want to turn what's a delight into a chore. I also wouldn't use any formal reading progam except possibly for something like McGuffey's to help her with fluency in reading aloud. Look for books from the Ambleside & Sonlight lists, older literature that's emotinally appropriate for a 2nd grader. There are reading placement tests, I think there's one on the Sonlight website to give you an idea of her reading level. You might also look for lapbooks or projects that will give you some fun activities to do with the books. It's a challenge, but a fun challenge :)

• Like 1

The above are good suggestions -- though I often find Ambleside Online's suggestions are not emotionally appropriate for my own children (who are quite sensitive).  Also see lists at:

Great Books Academy/Angelicum -- I've linked the bookstore, which lists the titles for each grade level.  Do look at the Preschool, K and grade 1 lists too; and ideally substitute Julius Lester's Remus Tales for Harris' version; and be aware not all suit a sensitive child. 

William and Mary Navigators: I haven't used the actual Navigators, but like the list of titles which has many books not on other lists, and many complex picture books -- a lot of programs skip picture books after grades K-1, when there are many sophisticated and worthy ones available. 

Two other resources that span grades:

Junior Great Books -- this does excellent, age-appropriate literary analysis.  I'd suggest looking at the K-1 materials b/c she's almost sure to enjoy the stories even if they're not "challenging". 

William & Mary's Literature Units -- pricey, but I think worth a go.  I found the support materials worth the price of admission for the unit I bought (Beyond Words) -- that is, the resource lists; the background information on teaching literary ideas, metaphors, and character issues in gifted education; &c; this was general information and I used it over a few years.  I have heard that if one does these every year the children may get tired of the "change" theme. 

• Like 3