Menu

Lindamood-Bell Seeing Stars Question

She advised me to get the kit but she apparently feels the workbooks (which are supplemental to the kit) are not worth the cost. The kit costs $450 while I was able to get a new-but-shelfworn copy of the manual from Gander's Amazon store for around $50. I'll have to make the cards myself but I'm willing to put in the time to save $400.

• Like 2

I like the Catch a Star workbooks. My ds did 1- 2 words/day, along with reviewing the words we'd previously done. He move to reading the sentences to me, then writing sentences on his own as his skills improved. It was good for him to have some workbooks to do as my other children use workbooks. We tried 1 of the other S S decoding books but didn't like it nearly as well.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

She advised me to get the kit but she apparently feels the workbooks (which are supplemental to the kit) are not worth the cost. The kit costs $450 while I was able to get a new-but-shelfworn copy of the manual from Gander's Amazon store for around $50. I'll have to make the cards myself but I'm willing to put in the time to save $400.

Have you had a chance to peruse the manual yet? I made the cards for the LiPS program, but I am wondering if making the cards is possible for Seeing Stars. There are an awful lot of cards, and from the short video on the Lindamood-Bell page, it seems that the scripts for using the cards are on the cards themselves. Does the Seeing Stars manual contain lists of all of the words and affixes on the cards? Thank you! 

• Like 1

Quoting from my friend, the ed therapy student:

"In addition to the manual, to recreate the kit for yourself, you would need 

1. a set of consonant cards
2. a set of vowel cards (a, e, i, o, u, ai, ay, ee, ea, ie, ei, oo, ou. ow, oe, oo, ue, ey, ay, oy, oi, au, aw)
3. 2500 flashcards (or half that if they are thick enough that you can write on both sides) that cover all the syllable types.  
4. A list of 1000 high frequency words (Fry High Frequency Word lists are good).  (And the first 500 on index cards).
5. syllable boards (for kids who do not like air writing or find it difficult, the syllable boards are glossy cardboard that you can write with your finger on)
6. a set of prefix and suffix cards
7. rewards sheet so child can get stars after learning sets of vowels and consonants

8. program tracking sheet so that you know which consonants/vowels, rules, syllable types and prefixes/suffixes have been mastered"

She said the magnets from All About Spelling or AAR would work for #1, 2, and 6.

I haven't gotten a chance yet to read through the Seeing Stars manual because right now I'm working on LiPS and Linguisystems Contrasts for Auditory Speech Training to help my DD distinguish between the consonant sounds. Seeing Stars and other reading programs are on hold until she gets better phonemic discrimination. It's like how Susan Barton says not to start her level 1 until partway through LiPS for students who fail the screening.

• Like 1

Thank you! We are partway through LiPS, and I am looking toward what we introduce next. Out of curiosity, I gave P the Barton screening again, and he did worse this time than the first time.  :confused1:  His recent evaluation showed that his working memory is not so hot, and I am concerned that he will not be able to pass the Barton screen even after finishing all of the sounds in LiPS. 

If he's not improving working memory while you're doing LIPS, you may not be doing the methodology completely.  The Barton screening mirrors skills you do in LIPS.  Are you following the vertical or horizontal paths?  Are you using a limited field and building words using faces and then blank tiles?  Are you going completely through the steps and then cycling back to add more letters?

For him to sound out a word and pull down the face pictures he's using working memory.  If he's doing this with LIPS he *should* have enough to pass the screening test.  Make sure you're doing 3 and 4 letter words.

What you're saying makes sense.  Have you tried increasing the length of words you're tracking using your limited field?  So instead of adding more sounds/faces, instead increase the length of words you're working with.  When I did LIPS with my ds, I blended it with Barton 1.  We introduced a limited field of faces/sounds, learned them, tracked with them, did tiles with them, traded tiles for letters, and went to letters.  But as I did that, we also increased within the week from 3 letters to 4 and 5.  So you might make sure you're REALLY TAXING his working memory at every point.  Really make him hold things.  Put the faces up in a row, say the word, clap the syllable, touch for each sound, slowly pull the face tiles down saying the sounds, retouch each face to check, slow blend, fast blend.  That's with 3 letters.  But take that same limited field and work up to 4 and 5 letters, kwim?  It's much better to get that squirm NOW, when he has all the supports, rather than waiting and hitting 5 letters in Barton, kwim?  That's what didn't make sense to me.  I knew my ds was going to need the supports and needed to go through that BEFORE Barton.  

Does he have any speech issues?  It would be interesting to know if the issue is exclusively working memory or if he has say some motor planning issues that are draining his working memory even further.  You might try to tax the working memory different ways and see what happens.  Or try eliminating a problem/drain area and see if he can accomplish the task when he doesn't also have to do x.

Have you considered some cognitive therapies?  At the same time as we were doing LIPS we also did quite a bit from Smart Moves/Focus Moves, metronome work, kinesthetic working memory spans, etc.  It might be some work on the cognitive, separate from LIPS would be helpful.  You can also do meds of course.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Crimson wife, if possible, could you pleas provide a link to the Gander Amazon store?

It sounds different than regular Amazon. I have searched Amazon for certain manuals but doing none.

Is the Gander part different?

Pls send link. Electronically challenged over here :/

Thanks

Also, fwiw and anyone reading that it may benefit, we always make our own flashcards when possible. It gets them writing (visual) and helps them remember better.

I ven did this with my big kids. I find it helps them in cementing the info.

Thank you for posting what she recommended , helps me alot :)

Oh cool. Thank you thank you :)

Love their stuff. It's Sooo expensive tho. I'm slowly collecting it all and doing it the cheap way lime...having the kids make the cards etc.

The fry sight words...what a good idea. Well all be making those. :)

Thanks again crimson wife

They are the same price lol

What are some other homeschool used book sites that are food and used by you all?

I hear them talked about, I should have gone to them then but I didn't.

I know vegsource, I can never find LMB stuff there.

Where else can I go?

Can you tag someone in these.

I think it would be useful to the reader on the Barton post.

I screenshptted crimson wife that plan and started moving in thst direction. It's been VERY helpful to me.

Thanks for posting it. :)

• 10 months later...

LiPS became unnecessary after my daughter received her cochlear implant in May '16 since she gained auditory access to the full frequency spectrum. I have been focusing on building up her listening comprehension and expressive language skills since oral language is the foundation of reading comprehension.