Menu

Did I just stumble upon DS17's March 14 SAT scores? NO!!

RegGuheert

SAT scores from the March 14 SAT test will not be available online until April 3.  But today I was online signing DS17 up for the May 2 SAT II and I stumbled upon something that *may* have given me *approximately* his scores from March.  Can someone else try this with your student's account and see if you think this is really based upon their SAT score?

Steps:

1. Go to the College Board's SAT webpage

2. Sign In to the "My Organizer" on the left side of that page.

3. Once signed in, click the "Send Scores" button at the top right of the page.  You will again be asked for the student's password.

4.  This will bring you to the "My SAT" page.  Scroll down and click the link on the right-hand side that reads: "See a list of colleges that we've matched for you..."

5.  Notice on the "My College Matches" page that comes up one of the Search Criteria is "Academic Selectivity" and beside it you see:

• SAT Critical Reading Range: WWW - XXX;
  • SAT Math Range: YYY - ZZZ

For some reason Writing is not mentioned.  Since we did not provide these ranges, my question is how did the College Board come up with them?  Did they derive them from DS17's recent (and only) SAT test result or did they instead derive them from his most recent PSAT score?  Something else?

Any thoughts?

Edit:  snowbeltmom figured out that the range is the "Projected SAT Score Range" based on the student's PSAT test results.  Thanks!  In other words, nothing to see here.  Move along.

I can't open dd's account right now, but could the ranges you are looking at be the middle 50% range for the colleges your ds listed?

I don't think so.  Since the March 14 test was for just the regular SAT, DS17 chose to send those scores to the less-selective schools on his list which do not require SAT II for admission.  In fact, NONE of the schools which DS17 chose to receive the March 14 scores shows up in the resulting search.  He will be sending the May 2 scores to the more selective schools on his list, but these have not yet been identified to the College Board.

Also, the ranges are quite tight:  one is a 60-point range and the other is a 70-point range, so I doubt they could represent the middle 50% unless a college is VERY selective.

I have no idea how the SAT is set up, but I know with the PSAT there was a way to "hack" the score.  Some guy on College Confidential posted out how to do  it but it basically involved loading up every question and seeing if it was right or wrong for your student then you could calculate the score.  It was time consuming but 100% accurate when the results came a few weeks later.  If there is such a hack for the SAT, I'm sure someone would be sharing it on College Confidential so I'd look there for information.

• Like 1

I have no idea how the SAT is set up, but I know with the PSAT there was a way to "hack" the score.  Some guy on College Confidential posted out how to do  it but it basically involved loading up every question and seeing if it was right or wrong for your student then you could calculate the score.  It was time consuming but 100% accurate when the results came a few weeks later.  If there is such a hack for the SAT, I'm sure someone would be sharing it on College Confidential so I'd look there for information.

Thanks!  We did that with the PSAT and it worked!  I thought about that today, but two things likely will prevent this from helping here:

1)  That hack required that the student had taken the PSAT in a previous year and had signed up on the website to view them.  DS17 had never taken the SAT before March 14.  OTOH, perhaps having taken the PSAT before is enough.

2)  It appears the College Board charges $13.50 for "Score Verification" on the SAT while the PSAT answers were provided at no charge.

I just checked my son's, who also took the SAT for the first time on March 14th.

Thanks for checking!

The ranges that are listed are within the ranges of his PSAT scores.  Are the ranges listed on your son's account also within his PSAT score ranges?

One is and one isn't.  The range for Math is LOWER than the score DS17 received on the PSAT (X10). :(   But just barely...

Thanks!  We did that with the PSAT and it worked!  I thought about that today, but two things likely will prevent this from helping here:

1)  That hack required that the student had taken the PSAT in a previous year and had signed up on the website to view them.  DS17 had never taken the SAT before.  OTOH, perhaps having taken the PSAT before is enough.

2)  It appears the College Board charges $13.50 for "Score Verification" on the SAT while the PSAT answers were provided at no charge.

Thanks for checking!

One is and one isn't.  The range for Math is LOWER than the score DS17 received on the PSAT (X10). :(   But just barely...

Hmmm.  I just checked my son's PSAT score ranges.  The scores listed were exactly the same ranges as those listed on the page you referenced in the OP.

ETA:  The Math score range listed on the PSAT were 10 points higher than the range listed on the PSAT page for projected SAT scores, while the reading range for the PSAT and projected SAT scores were exactly the same.

My guess is that the information came from the PSAT, but I guess we will find out for sure in a couple of weeks.

Hmmm.  I just checked my son's PSAT score ranges.  The scores listed were exactly the same ranges as those listed on the page you referenced in the OP.

Are you saying that your son took that PSAT multiple times and the ranges match the ranges of scores he achieved?  DS17 took the PSAT in 9th, 10th and 11th grades.  The range given today for Critical Reading is above both his 9th and 10th grade scores, but includes his 11th grade score.  The range given today for Math is above his 9th grade score, includes his 10th grade score but is below his 11th grade score.

In other words, it doesn't match his history.  :001_huh:

I hate waiting!  -Inigo Montoya

ETA:  The Math score range listed on the PSAT were 10 points higher than the range listed on the PSAT page for projected SAT scores, while the reading range for the PSAT and projected SAT scores were exactly the same.

My guess is that the information came from the PSAT, but I guess we will find out for sure in a couple of weeks.

O.K.  The edit makes it more clear what you are looking at.  I had a bit of trouble finding his PSAT stuff, but finally I went to My College Quick Start and found the PSAT results there.  As you said, the "Projected SAT Score Range" for each of the three tests is shown there.  And they exactly match the ranges used in the search I referenced in the OP.

Thanks!  You have cracked the code!

Unfortunately, that means we will all just have to wait. :crying:

I will update the title to reflect what you have figured out.

• Like 1