Menu

TT users, Pre Algebra spreading it out over 2 years?

We are currently using TT level 7, and I just got Pre-Algebra in the mail for next school year.

It seems different than the lower levels.   Maybe it's all in my head.  It looks like maybe the tests are just in a book, and not on the CD's?   Is that correct?   Anything else I need to know about this level :) ?

Also, my dd is 11, and finishing up 6th grade.   Math is not her strong subject.   When we initially tested for TT in 4th grade, she tested 2 levels ahead, but I didn't want to put her that far ahead and I just put her in the 5th grade program.   We love TT, it's been a great fit for us.   In the back of my mind, I've always liked the idea that she is "a year" ahead and that we could use that year in the future when we needed it.   DD is starting to struggle with math, and I think it's time to slow down.  I had thought about doing some sort of review year for 7th grade, but instead have decided to spread pre-algebra out over the next 2 years.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about whether TT math is "behind" so doing it a couple of years ahead makes sense.   Those are great discussions, but I don't want to debate that here.  I would appreciate some ideas logistically of how to spread this program over 2 years, particularly from anyone who has done it.

I thought maybe day 1 my dd could watch the lecture and do the practice problems, and day 2 read the textbook and do the other problems. As opposed to doing one whole lesson, taking a day off.   Or doing a quarter of math, taking a quarter off.   I feel like it would be better to still do math every day, just half a lesson.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I think you are exactly right, that this is an important point in the sequence to nail everything down rock solid before moving on to algebra.

First try to figure out the source of the struggles (difficulty with anything from recalling math facts to understanding concepts, remembering procedures, translating word problems, making careless errors, discalculia or other LD or even vision issues, etc.) and consider whether merely spreading out lessons is likely to cure the issue or whether she could benefit from supplemental materials.  Recall that reported weaknesses of TT include not just having a different sequence ("behind") but also not offering sufficient depth of concept instruction, leaning too heavy on procedures alone, so that might be a possible area to supplement, especially if you spread the program out over more time - but what to do will really depend on the cause of the struggle for your particular student.

If you don't already sit with her during lessons and exercises, that's probably the place to start for teasing out the source of the struggle.

As a general matter, I would only consider cutting lessons in half if there were other materials added or if you're sitting with her, actually teaching.  I'd be looking for an hour of math per day, possible broken up into two parts.

• Like 1

My 7th grade daughter is finishing up Dolciani's pre-algebra this year. While she moved through it fairly steadily, there have been two chapters for which I had to bring in supplemental materials (Math Mammoth worksheets.)  That will draw pre-algebra out beyond the typical year for us. I was afraid she would probably need some additional time, but I wasn't sure where.  I'm glad I started with a plan to complete the text in one year. That way, we moved through the chapters she didn't have any trouble with at a regular pace and only slowed down for the chapters she did have trouble with.

I would suggest that you start TT pre-algebra with a plan to finish it in one year, knowing that you will have to slow down at some point, with some chapters, and that will stretch out the time she spends on pre-algebra. Wait until she hits the speed bumps to slow down. They will come and you will be glad you didn't draw out chapters that didn't pose difficulty so that you could spend more time where she does have difficulty.  You may end up taking two years to get through TT pre-algebra, or you might get through TT pre-algebra in one year  and decide to do a second year of a different pre-algebra program, or you may take a year and a half to get through TT pre-algebra and have half a year to get her a leg up on algebra 1.

Oh, and as wapiti pointed out, we found that it was not just a matter of slowing down on the chapters my daughter had trouble with. We had to bring in supplemental worksheets to provide extra practice.  And, with my daughter, it's essential that she do math every day, M-F.

• Like 2

I agree with yvonne 100%. Spend extra time on the chapters where she needs it and don't plan to slow down on chapters where she doesn't need it.

You may find yourself wanting to be able to take some extra time on high school courses as well, and planning to not start algebra until 9th grade means that you really must complete one course per year.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, there are some good points made here.

I still want to spread it out over 2 years, and we do understand her problems and DH and I have had a good discussion about the whole issue from top to bottom.   It's mostly a maturity thing that will sort itself out with some time, yet I don't want to stop TT completely. 

I am still hoping someone who actually uses TT will have some wisdom to add.   I am still looking for ideas of how exactly to spread it out over 2 years.   I am going to look at LOF to do alongside TT, but I looked at it a few years ago and it wasn't really what I wanted.  

Thanks again!

We are currently using TT level 7, and I just got Pre-Algebra in the mail for next school year.

It seems different than the lower levels.   Maybe it's all in my head.  It looks like maybe the tests are just in a book, and not on the CD's?   Is that correct?   Anything else I need to know about this level :) ?

Also, my dd is 11, and finishing up 6th grade.   Math is not her strong subject.   When we initially tested for TT in 4th grade, she tested 2 levels ahead, but I didn't want to put her that far ahead and I just put her in the 5th grade program.   We love TT, it's been a great fit for us.   In the back of my mind, I've always liked the idea that she is "a year" ahead and that we could use that year in the future when we needed it.   DD is starting to struggle with math, and I think it's time to slow down.  I had thought about doing some sort of review year for 7th grade, but instead have decided to spread pre-algebra out over the next 2 years.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about whether TT math is "behind" so doing it a couple of years ahead makes sense.   Those are great discussions, but I don't want to debate that here.  I would appreciate some ideas logistically of how to spread this program over 2 years, particularly from anyone who has done it.

I thought maybe day 1 my dd could watch the lecture and do the practice problems, and day 2 read the textbook and do the other problems. As opposed to doing one whole lesson, taking a day off.   Or doing a quarter of math, taking a quarter off.   I feel like it would be better to still do math every day, just half a lesson.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Answering the bolded: I don't think splitting it that way would be considered doing half the lesson. What are there, 5 practice problems? If I remember correctly, they aren't necessarily from that lesson, either. That would leave 20ish problems for the next day. The text book is exactly the same as the lecture, also.

My older son used TT prealgebra in 8th grade. He has a terrible time in math. He got through this in one year and is currently in Algebra I (not TT, because we are using American School) and is getting through. When he started to struggle, I started to watch the lectures with him and sat with him while he worked the problems. If he still had trouble and needed more problems, I used math-drills.com. 

Are you sitting with your DD? 

Currently doing TT pre-algebra with my dd.  Yes, the tests are still on the CD, but there is also a test bank book too.  I would do as a pp said and sit with your dd while she does math.  Why not just move at her pace and not necessarily say you are going to take two years.  How about watching the instruction and have dd start working the problems, if she can get through one lesson without many problems than let her.  If she starts to make mistakes, figure out what they are and go back for more review.  The new pre-algebra tells you what lesson a problem is from so you can go back and review how to do the problem.  If she is just frustrated stop for the day and the next day. read the lesson from the book and pick up where she left off in the problems.  Is she good on her math facts?  I still have my dd practice her multiplication and division facts so they come faster and easier for her when doing fractions  and things.  I think if you moved along this way it wouldn't take you a full two years to get through.  There are 156 lessons/tests at this level, so if you do 180 days in your school year this still gives you 24 days extra to work through problem areas.  HTH

Blessings,

Pat