Menu

Great sight word resources?

Any great sight word resources? We do OG processes, with writing sensory, feeling sensory, kinesthetic, auditory, and visual.

Still they are a struggle often with quick loss of skills.

I have started to make up very elaborate sight word stories for each word which helps but is time consuming for me to imagine and then spend a while saying them for each word. For instance, could was started off as old, got a cold, then coughed his "u" out from the middle of him and it needed to be put back in the middle of the cold. It doesn't sound super elaborate but our version was longer. Any creative suggestions for sight word? Books of stories, etc? I'm aso considering him building the words in Lego instead of writing, though the writing is great for his dysgraphia I think.

ETA -- I also have a workbook of sight words.  Each word has 5-7 short activities: writing the word in colors, tracing and writing the word, doing a maze with the letters, fill in the blank missing letters, etc.  They are effective but DS doesn't really like them, probably because of all the writing.  I do pull them out with words I can't get him to memorize a different way as they are practice but no real connection. 

I wonder if I've already exhausted most resources?  He hates sight word apps and I don't really want to push them.  He will spell in the car as we're driving sometimes. 

Not to be dumb, but why don't you tell him the truth, that "ou" has 7 sounds, list them, circle it in a color, write the word, drill with Quizlet, etc.?  

Barton says to review your sight words every session.  Most of the sight words are phonetically decodable eventually, just not as early as they want them.  

You may be working harder than you need to, inventing the wheel with OG every session rather than using a predone program like Barton.  She doles them out very slowly, builds them into the included stories (and has more readers you can buy), etc.  Seriously, your training was great and makes you more flexible, but you're working way overhard.

• Like 1

Sight words just take a long time.  I would try to keep up review.  

My son did better with not adding very many at a time, and keeping up review.  He was into 1st grade in public school and still working on sight words, with poor retention.  I know there is a pressure there.

But remember -- there are really not that many, and you will be covering the phonics to help him with more and more (but not all, sadly) sight words.  

I would say -- slow down, make reviews very short (maybe 2 minutes max), have different kinds of review, spread them out in the day.  Make the reviews come right before something fun, so he will want to get through them to do the fun thing.  Find positive things to say.  Slow down so that there can be progress and a feeling like he knows a lot of the words you review pretty well.  

At one point I decided to say -- okay, he is behind, but we are going to just focus on 4 new (not new, really, very basic sight words) words a week.  Then I cut that back to 2 a week.  Then we did 2 a week (plus review of ones he did know at that point).  Then we did 2 a week for a while, and he was doing well and I was looking at it like "okay, maybe it will take 18 months for this basic list, but he is actually having retention at this rate."  Then he got into a groove and did pick them up faster after probably 6-8 weeks of that.  

What happened with him, once he did finally know a few sight words well, it made it easier for him to learn more sight words.  He was also improving in his overall reading skills and that also helped a lot.  He was getting more comfortable with a lot of very basic reading things ----- and that helped a lot, too.  When he could look at a sight word and have that instant feeling of "it starts with s, those two letters don't do what I expect, oh, then that part makes sense" it got a lot easier than when he was more letter by letter.  

So anyway -- I think, accept it may take a while.  You are doing good things.  Mix them up, give him variety.  Of course he is getting tired of doing it -- it is inherently tiring.  You can try to mix it up, shorten sessions, add perks.  

But I think overall -- accept this is not going to be a short-term project.  Figure out how slow you need to go, or alternately, how fast you need to go.  Maybe you need to slow down and let him really get mastery with a small amount and only add in new ones slowly.  Or, maybe you can add in more than you have been and he will get more interested.  For my son -- mastery with a small amount was the way to go, but I don't think that it the only way for kids -- I think some kids might be more motivated by seeing that they are getting through it.  

If he would be motivated by it, show him that there is a finite number, and he is getting through them, he will not be doing this forever, it is a set number and then he is done.  This is how I motivated myself as a mom!!!!!  I did not think it would motivate my son, so I did not show him.  If he had a different personality, I would ---- if he had my personality, this would have worked well.  

For him, making it short and letting him know a lot of the answers both helped him.  

But overall ----- it took way more time, repetition, exposure, etc, than what I was led to believe.  Once I saw that his retention rate was what it was, then he could make progress.  It was just slow.  But slow and steady does win the race.  

http://www.abcdrp.com/docs/ABCD_100_words_Level_A.pdf I did use these pages.  He did not love them, but they were short.  He took much longer in every way than indicated from the directions (I did them along with Level B of Abecedarian when I used it with him).  They suggest to just do half the list if it will be more productive -- we did that, too.  I never did it timed.  He would want to go fast b/c it would just happen to be kept in the kitchen to do before snack time, or on the way out the door to go to the park or swimming.  Or it was the last thing and then I would read him a story and ask him no questions during the story.  He does not do timers.  But -- if timing would be helpful, why not.  

I also pointed at words as we read, had him look for words (having him look for words seemed to help him a lot, and he did not mind doing it ---- I think maybe it was just helpful b/c he enjoyed it, hard to say).  I did not do flashcards b/c at the time he had taken to hating flashcards, that is part of why we used the lists instead.  

You can do things together with him more, maybe, my son would like that.  Instead of him spelling a word, I spelled it at the same time, or we went back and forth.  Play a game with him while he spells (bouncing a ball).  Hold his feet and let him do a wheelbarrow walk.  If those are things where he will buy in, you might be able to go over a new word and review 4 or 5 words in just one or two minutes, and when he is ready to get up -- feel like you have accomplished something and feel good about trying for another 2 minutes later in the day.  

http://www.oxtonhouse.com/index.html I was also interested in their word lists.  I did not see this until past this level, but I would have liked it I think.  I don't know if they have just sight words, but something that really helped my son ---- instead of just having sight words, having the sight words that could be used as part of a phonics lesson, being covered as part of that lesson.  So ----- being covered as part of those words, not being covered in a way that all the words were following a different pattern.  It helped him a huge amount.  Even if a sight words only partly used a pattern, it helped him to group it with other words that used a pattern.  That is what really helped.  Then as he covered more and more patterns, he was good with more and more sight words.  But of course covering the patterns was also very difficult ----- but at least you feel like you cover a pattern and he can use it to read many words, instead of feeling like you are only working on one word.  

So I also think, you might look into building your sight words into your other lessons as much as possible, and only try to do a few of the really non-pattern ones at a time.  

The whole thing of -- well, you need to learn 80 or 150 or 200 (or whatever) sight words to be able to read very easy things independently -------- well, that does not make it any easier or faster to learn the sight words, just b/c they are needed for basic reading.  For my son it did mean it seemed like there was not a good balance between phonics and sight words, if we waited for phonics to cover sight words.  But it did not seem like there was a choice, as his retention level was what it was.  But what it did mean ----- even though he had more trouble with earlier readers, and did not really read early readers independently, once he covered more he did get more independent.  He just didn't have a phase where he could read simple words by sounding out plus a base of sight words ----- he just never had that phase and never read those kinds of books.  He stayed with reading sentences I picked for him, or sentences from a reading program, and things like that.  He did not get to read just any early reader.  But then down the road, he could read, it didn't matter in the end that he was not traditionally balanced earlier.  

So -- I hope he can go faster, and you get good suggestions, but if he is making progress, but it is just slow with sight words, I think it is okay for it to be slow.  He will get there.  I think it is good to slow down for him to have a mastery level, if that seems helpful.  But it is so easy to rush and have very poor retention, b/c it is just too fast.  Even when it seems like it is glacial and the words only have 3 or 4 letters and are such basic and easy words.  It still just takes the time it takes.  

But I think you do have to have a mix of "oh, you don't like it, I AM setting the timer for 1 minutes and you WILL do it for 1 minute" and "let's mix it up, you don't have to do the kind of practice you are most bored with for a couple of weeks."  But if it is short and there is some kind of perk (tiny candy, set the timer to play a game, "his choice" and you do what he wants with him for a few minutes, sit down and have a snack, leave to go somewhere fun ----- those are all good perks.  I have even done "mute the sound, and he does some practice during a commercial."  This will seem good b/c the commercials can be longer than the practice.  Or -- press pause and he does a practice.  These had a way of not seeming like work to him, b/c we were not in the kitchen or living room, and I did not use the same materials as I did in those rooms), and he feels like he is doing well, that can really help.  And, don't let him know you think it is glacial.  It is just the pace you are going, no need to come across like it is so, so, so, so slow even when it is.   

Edit:  He did well with "speed drills" but not timed, anyway, not just for sight words.  So adding sight words to "speed drills" (not timed) did help.  But he needed those anyway just to develop fluency.  

Having him practice with a random mix of sight words did not help him to learn them, but it could work for review with just one or two new words (some kids can have a higher ratio of new words to older words) and it can be a quick practice and review, even an easy one, that can take a really short time.  But it was not how he learned, he learned from learning them in context of other words that would help to make some sense of the sight words.  

But at the same time -- a lot of it was just that he was doing better with reading, and this did spill over into sight words.  I could see a difference in how easily he could spell an easy phonetic word ---- did he have to sit and ponder and think about it, and start and stop, and figure out each sound and figure out which letter??????? Or, was that something he could do pretty easily.  When that was easier, sight words were easier, too, he was just making more sense of it all, and more easily matching the word in his head to the letters he was seeing.  And that is something that just takes time, too, maybe kind-of a lot of time.  Or it seems like a long time at least!  But I think it will pay off.  

Edit -- Abecedarian does not introduce sight words, except as they come up with the units and can be covered with other words.  This was really good for my son.  A lot of programs are this way.  I think it is a really good concept for a lot of kids, it keeps the sight words from being too random and puts them in a context where they can make sense, and be practiced with other words sharing the pattern or the part of the pattern.  It just takes longer this way, than if you can teach them ahead and then get kids into early readers that assume a base of sight words.  But that is not necessary when it is not seeming desirable.

I like Elizabeth B's page, too, I used it for a few sight words, but since I was using some other things, I just used it some.  Sometimes I wouldn't know how to fit in a sight word, b/c I would not be able to see how it followed a pattern, and that is when it would be very useful.  

http://www.oxtonhouse.com/reading_speed_drills.html This link just has a basic description of a "speed drill."  They are called fluency drills (I think) in Abecedarian, and they are something that various programs have in various forms.  My son did well with this kind of thing, but with mixed-up formats to some extent.  And, I would start him with half a page instead of a full page.  Some people do it with flashcards instead of on a piece of paper.  But we did these anyway, some, and could add a sight word into these.  Not that it was the only way to practice, but it was helpful practice.  It was not the only way to introduce a word, but could help to practice, and there might be 3, 4, or 5 sight words that might be able to be added into a pattern, even if they didn't follow the pattern completely.  Then that was a good order to go in.  So "the" is easier when it is learned with "me, he, be" instead of just mixed in with random words or random sight words.  Then from there -- it can be mixed in, and needs to be mixed in.  But it was a good step in the process for him.  Though it could depend on the word, too.  A few words were just very hard and stayed very hard for a long time, and other words he did pick up more easily.  

• Like 1

Also, honestly, count your progress!  Count all the sight words he DOES know, even if they seem too easy to count.  They ALL count.  Don't just look at what is left, look at how far he has come.  Even if you are early on and sight words are "supposed to" be "acquired" in such-and-such time frame ---------- do not get hung up on that, and be happy with what he does know.  It will help.  You still have a long way to go, but the progress you have already made counts just as much as the next bit of progress to make.  

Also, when measuring YOUR effectiveness, don't measure based on "well, how many sight words does he know now."  Measure by knowing you are working on them in as good a way as possible, as productive as possible, as pleasant as possible, and know you ARE being effective even if it is slow.  Then feel like you are doing a good job.  Just keep on track, and try to build in routines that work and that are not really unpleasant or unfeasible, but are still doing enough to get somewhere.  I think it really is a slow and steady thing.  Once in a while you will still get to look and see "yay, another 10 words, and he has really got them down!"

• Like 1

Oh, they were not right for my son, but you might look into.... blanking on her name..... a woman who has cards where the words have a picture that goes with the word?  This is just not my son's style, but I know she is popular.  She has the books where you open a learning gateway and there are blocked gateways.  I cannot think of her name, but maybe someone will know it.  

I think you are doing well to know something that helps.  Does he participate at all in making up the stories?  If he does -- then it might be the act of coming up with them, as much as the finished project.  Plus he might just KNOW that you are doing it for him, and it might be something that makes him do better with it (by being more interested, feeling like it is special, wanting you to keep doing the stories).  Maybe, maybe not.  

But I think it is good that you know something that is working!  I am sorry it does sound irritating, but sometimes when you have something and it works, you just need to put up with it.  Think about how it would be even worse to try to use something that did not work well with him.  

I also think, it is really likely you will not need to make up a story for EVERY sight word.  It is working for now, but he may not need them for every word.  Some words will build on other words and be easier to learn, and he will be improving in his reading skill overall, too, and that will help, too.  

I am not aware of any stories like this, but they sound good.  You should keep them and maybe you can let other people use your files someday :)

When it is times for math facts, he might do well with the stories about math facts, too.  They were not helpful for my son, but I think when he does good with stories, you might be able to use stories for a lot of things.  They are pre-made, at least.  

• Like 1

Any great sight word resources? We do OG processes, with writing sensory, feeling sensory, kinesthetic, auditory, and visual.

Still they are a struggle often with quick loss of skills.

I have started to make up very elaborate sight word stories for each word which helps but is time consuming for me to imagine and then spend a while saying them for each word. For instance, could was started off as old, got a cold, then coughed his "u" out from the middle of him and it needed to be put back in the middle of the cold. It doesn't sound super elaborate but our version was longer. Any creative suggestions for sight word? Books of stories, etc? I'm aso considering him building the words in Lego instead of writing, though the writing is great for his dysgraphia I think.

ETA -- I also have a workbook of sight words.  Each word has 5-7 short activities: writing the word in colors, tracing and writing the word, doing a maze with the letters, fill in the blank missing letters, etc.  They are effective but DS doesn't really like them, probably because of all the writing.  I do pull them out with words I can't get him to memorize a different way as they are practice but no real connection. 

I wonder if I've already exhausted most resources?  He hates sight word apps and I don't really want to push them.  He will spell in the car as we're driving sometimes. 

Yes, but this is a hallmark of dyslexia. *Gently* I think you may have to accept that this process of reading whether sight word or phonetic is going to take much longer than any of you anticipated. I agree with teaching the sight words phonetically or doing vertical phonics/rule breaker techniques and just re-correcting in context. We also made big flashcards of troublemaker words on 5 x 7 index cards and I would color code the part that does not say what it should. The "ai" in "said" would be an example. We would go over them daily until it seemed like they were mostly memorized. Then with AAS materials we "throw them in jail", which usually is enough of a process to make the whole thing stick along with a few reminders.

• Like 4

Once we were using High Noon Reading Intervention program, sight words were part of each lesson (some were not actually sight words, but given as such at first to allow reading passages with them before that type of phonics pattern was reached), they were then repeatedly reinforced in the drills and reading passages of the Intervention program and the Sound Out Chapter books.

I suspect, but don't know, that this might also be so in other programs such as Dancing Bears.

• Like 2

Not to be dumb, but why don't you tell him the truth, that "ou" has 7 sounds, list them, circle it in a color, write the word, drill with Quizlet, etc.?  

Barton says to review your sight words every session.  Most of the sight words are phonetically decodable eventually, just not as early as they want them.  

You may be working harder than you need to, inventing the wheel with OG every session rather than using a predone program like Barton.  She doles them out very slowly, builds them into the included stories (and has more readers you can buy), etc.  Seriously, your training was great and makes you more flexible, but you're working way overhard.

In our sequence, ou sounds aren't here yet.  My sight word and teaching lists sequences are from Recipe for Reading, a different sequence from Barton.  I do go out of order for some sight words, (could isn't on our sight word list yet but I wanted to teach it that week for another reason), but I don't make up my own sequence.  I skip a lot of sight words I know are coming up as spelling words soon.  For instance, DS knows magic e and vowel sounds, but he hasn't been asked to spell them that way yet, so I've skipped all magic e words that sometimes come up on sight word lists. 

We do need to review them daily, which is a great reminder.  Usually our review isn't that often.  I need to find a quick game for review.  Maybe one of those easy popcorn games that have the words we need.

DS's reading of sight words is on level for his grade, but we're incorporating spelling with recognition now for the formal sight words I give him.  If he just asks what a word spells I tell him. 

These are all fabulous ideas and I'm glad I started it.  I thought I was doing everything possible but there's a lot more.  I don't do everything everyday but I should definitely do more of a consistent review, especially as we're doing spelling.  I've also noticed that as the readers get more complicated a lot more words are being used daily. 

I do tend to weed out words that have been memorized but still need to incorporate them for occasional review to not lose skills. 

I never had a good box system, but you can have a box and move your mastered words from front to back -- pull them from the front for "easy review words" and then put them in the back, and just pull from the front then.  You can do that if you want to mix in new words with known words.  You could also just pull from this box for a quick review, and then put the ones in the back that he remembered easily.  It would be good for spelling I think.  I did not really do flashcards so I did not have cards.... if you are writing words on index cards I think it is an easy system.  Not that you have to use the cards to review, but as a way to keep track.  

There are ways to do this with lists on a computer, too.  

My younger son is prone to forgetting previously mastered material, so he just has more review.  He does not always need them, but at times has had multiple review boxes.  Things go into a "mastered" box and that box is reviewed after one week.  The things that are still mastered are put in a box for the next week (on a weekly review day).  Things that were not remembered go back into daily review.  Then the next week, if things that were mastered two weeks in a row with no review for a week at a time ---- they can go into monthly review.  That is a monthly review box.  Then once a month (or really, over the course of a month, going from front to back or top to bottom, b/c it is a big box and it is just a couple of minutes a day) the older material is reviewed.  

He does sometimes forget things from the monthly review box, and then a decision is made -- does it get re-taught, does it go to weekly review, or what.

I don't think you have to have a system, you can also just see what words are missed and review those.  But if you are seeing that he is not retaining a lot of previous words, then it gets helpful.  The review can help him remember, and help you to fill in gaps that might be developing.  For my younger son he gets gaps from forgetting things that he really did know before, and then that makes things hard, when you do them assuming he knows certain things that he has forgotten.  So it is really helpful.  But, it is also helpful just to know that he is not guaranteed to know everything that is in his big review box.    

Review can really help, and it can also be a bit of a break and chance to do something easier.  Or you can make the review tasks a little harder over time, with a harder review task spelling a word from memory, and an easier task just mixing the word in to be read in a sentence you write or something.   

There are also things that will be naturally reviewed, b/c they are very common, or they are going to be naturally incorporated in your regular instruction.  That built-in natural review goes a long way, but it may not be enough for a few pesky words that just seem like they are always trouble for a long time.  

Incidentally -- there are apparently psychology studies that help determine how much review to do and how many non-review days to have between review days.  But it is also different for different kids.  But it is like -- first you think it is mastered b/c they knew it a few days in a row.  Then you take a few days off, and see if they remember.  Then you take even more days off, then you see if they remember.  Then you take even more days off, then you see if they remember.  You see that if you do that 2 or 3 or 4 times, then they will have long-term retention.  But it is just different for different kids.  There are things for my younger son where he does forget, and that means he needs a different review schedule for his previously mastered stuff.  Usually kids are considered to have long-term retention if they remember after a month, I think.  I am not sure.  But the main thing, is that the principle is that you need to have a few days or a week or two and then go back and see if they still remember AND the act of reviewing this way can help kids to have long-term retention.  They will have better retention than if you never go back and review that way.  So, it can be worth doing (and not a waste of time) even if they seem to always know everything from their review box.  

Though of course ----- for so many things there is natural review as things come up as you keep moving forward in a subject, or things come up in daily life.  

I don't really know much about this, just what I have been told wrt my younger son.  But I believe the people who tell me this stuff have learned about it in school.  It is a thing people do, anyway, I don't really know about the actual research, but it seems good.  (B/c I do think, there are ways it could seem like a waste of time to take time to work in the review box instead of using that time for new material.  But the they all think it is worth it to spend a couple of minutes in the review box, but they decide how to structure the review boxes differently for different kids ----- based on seeing how they do.  At school they structure it so that his review is done as independent work, which seems good for him, too.  Theirs is set up with him just going behind and doing independent work, and it is things that he would have been learning with the teacher 1-3 months earlier ----- so it is review, but also very good for him to be able to do some independent work.)  

• Like 2

Quizlet lets you star words/cards in the lists and then choose whether to go through the starred or all the cards in the list.  You can also create detailed titles and folders. I'm making folders for each level of Barton as I go.  No subfolders, but I get there with titles.  So I put

Barton 3, lesson 1-words

Barton 3, lesson 1--phrases

Barton 3, lesson 1--sentences

Barton 3, sight words, list 1

Barton 3, sight words, list 2

and so on.

So then if he has only worked through part of the sight words list I star those and work on just those.  Then I can change the stars or go through the whole list without.  It's like what you'd do with the index cards like Lecka is describing, just techie and synced to all your devices.  So I can make those same lists appear on his kindle, my phone, the desktop, anywhere I am at any time, with the device I have on hand.  Means we can review in the car while traveling, for a few minutes in a doctor's office, etc.  It will also read the cards, shuffle, play games, etc.

• Like 3

In our sequence, ou sounds aren't here yet.  My sight word and teaching lists sequences are from Recipe for Reading, a different sequence from Barton.  I do go out of order for some sight words, (could isn't on our sight word list yet but I wanted to teach it that week for another reason), but I don't make up my own sequence.  I skip a lot of sight words I know are coming up as spelling words soon.  For instance, DS knows magic e and vowel sounds, but he hasn't been asked to spell them that way yet, so I've skipped all magic e words that sometimes come up on sight word lists. 

We do need to review them daily, which is a great reminder.  Usually our review isn't that often.  I need to find a quick game for review.  Maybe one of those easy popcorn games that have the words we need.

DS's reading of sight words is on level for his grade, but we're incorporating spelling with recognition now for the formal sight words I give him.  If he just asks what a word spells I tell him. 

I ended up finding that "less is more" and moving through one system that fit us in order we made more headway. And for us having most review be in reading passages was what worked best.

• Like 2

I am trying to introduce the sight words phonetically through the link from OhElizabeth. I write on flashcard and flash a few times and write on board and have him sign each individual letters. Write on each others back or sandbox. He is 5.5yrs. The process is slow.

Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

I am trying to introduce the sight words phonetically through the link from OhElizabeth. I write on flashcard and flash a few times and write on board and have him sign each individual letters. Write on each others back or sandbox. He is 5.5yrs. The process is slow.

Any other suggestions?

Sign as in ASL? Or write? I think if it's part of a formal instruction and you're going slowly that's fine.

DS was in public school for K and part of first. The sight word lists they'd send home! Ack! I bought a game, Pop for sight words that has a bunch of words on it for K level. I went through them yesterday thinking I could use them as a fun review. I separated them into piles for my needs. There was probably close to 100 words there and at least half were phonetic! I'm glad I never spent much effort on those! In contrast a lot didn't match up with my program lists because mine are not phonetic except some K words that are super high frequency before long vowels are taught (a, I, etc).

Anyway, after all that rambling, maybe you can make a game of it? I'm going to have zap. You write a word on a craft stick at one and for words known, and place them in a cup. Plus a stick or two that says zap! A person pulls out a stick, looks at it, closes eyes and says and spells it (or just reads if you're not learning spelling yet). Whoever gets the most sticks wins. A zap means you put them all back but keep going. Or maybe just have a moment where you pretend zap the other person and take one of their sticks.

I need to look up more games! :)

I like the Zap game idea. Yes, my son signs the letters with ASL in each sight word. He needs the physical aspect of it. 

I am finding he can read words (phonetic words) when we sign it. The sight words are trickier. Sigh! 

We have Zingo. Not really going anywhere with that. 

• Like 1

I like the Zap game idea. Yes, my son signs the letters with ASL in each sight word. He needs the physical aspect of it.

I am finding he can read words (phonetic words) when we sign it. The sight words are trickier. Sigh!

We have Zingo. Not really going anywhere with that.

My sight words in UPP? You could add a movement for the difference--a hand wave forms as z and f as v or something.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/sightwordsinUPP1.pdf

• Like 1

Oh, also, for my students that really struggle and need extra practice and work with exceptions, I tell them about this:

2. Hanna, Paul R, Richard E. Hodges, and Jean S. Hanna, "Spelling: Structure and Strategies," 1971. p.44: " During the Middle English period, a certain type of angular writing was in vogue which resulted in some ambiguity for the reader when u was followed by an m, n, or u (sometimes written v or w.) Consequently, scribes replaced the u with o, and that spelling is retained in some words used today, e.g. come, monk, love, tongue, some, honey.

And then I have them write a REALLY messy cursive or slanted italic flowy "luve" and "sume" and then a really messy "love" and "some." They all LOVE being told to write messy on purpose, especially if I do this exercise in a group class, the eyes get big and there are giggles...

• Like 2

Any other suggestions?

Wait a year.

I mean, seriously, a dc who is 5.5 right now is K4 or has a fall b-day, meaning they might be better called K4 even if they made the cutoff.  If I'm reading your sig, this dc also has speech issues and ASD?  I'm just saying sight words are about the least of your problems.  I would do games for visual processing and visual memory (since that's what's going to let him learn the sight words) and meanwhile work on LIPS or whatever you're doing for phonemic awareness and basic decoding.  For the visual memory, try memory games and Spot It Jr.

http://www.diannecraft.org/ Dianne Craft -- she is the person whose name I couldn't remember.  She has picture sight word cards some people say have worked really well.  They are not the kind of thing that would help my son (which has clicked a little since he was in OT and the OT assessment showed that visual memory is a weakness for him ---- but there are kids for whom it is a major strength).  I have always thought they looked interesting.  Some of her other programs look similar to programs he has done in OT that were helpful for him.  

I have not used anything by her, but she is out there, maybe worth checking out and seeing if it might be a good approach or supplement.  

• Like 1

http://www.diannecraft.org/ Dianne Craft -- she is the person whose name I couldn't remember. She has picture sight word cards some people say have worked really well. They are not the kind of thing that would help my son (which has clicked a little since he was in OT and the OT assessment showed that visual memory is a weakness for him ---- but there are kids for whom it is a major strength). I have always thought they looked interesting. Some of her other programs look similar to programs he has done in OT that were helpful for him.

I have not used anything by her, but she is out there, maybe worth checking out and seeing if it might be a good approach or supplement.

Thanks! I'm also going to check out her dysgraphia stuff. Now that I sort of have a handle on reading and dyspraxia we need to focus more on writing too.