Menu

Anyone else taking Math Kangaroo today?

Diviya

I got an email that says ds "placed nationally" can anyone with experience with the contest explain what that means?

That means he got one of the top 20 scores nationally for his grade and he will receive a prize of some sort. They won't tell you what place until the award ceremony (or after the award ceremony if you don't attend). Congrats!

• Like 3

That means he got one of the top 10 scores nationally for his grade and he will receive a prize of some sort. They won't tell you what place until the award ceremony (or after the award ceremony if you don't attend). Congrats!

Wow, that's great, thanks!

I'm a little surprised it was ds and not dd. Probably cemented an unwarranted, negative stereotype in her head. Glass half full, glass half empty, huh?

Wow, that's great, thanks!

I'm a little surprised it was ds and not dd. Probably cemented an unwarranted, negative stereotype in her head. Glass half full, glass half empty, huh?

Yeah, that's tough. After all the ceremonies have been done, they will have their scores and percentiles online if you log into your account. Last year my daughter placed and my son didn't, but we were able to see that his percentile was still fairly high (and that's just out of those who take the test), so that helped him feel better in his case. And while my son is similarly advanced as my daughter, in situations like that he is really hit or miss, so we've talked about how it doesn't necessarily reflect his ability. Our ceremonies have been relatively balanced gender-wise, so hopefully yours will be similar and your daughter can see that and not over-generalize.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's tough. After all the ceremonies have been done, they will have their scores and percentiles online if you log into your account. Last year my daughter placed and my son didn't, but we were able to see that his percentile was still fairly high (and that's just out of those who take the test), so that helped him feel better in his case. And while my son is similarly advanced as my daughter, in situations like that he is really hit or miss, so we've talked about how it doesn't necessarily reflect his ability. Our ceremonies have been relatively balanced gender-wise, so hopefully yours will be similar and your daughter can see that and not over-generalize.

Thank you! I find that very reassuring. I have been having difficulty expressing my concerns about this.

I just checked my email and I found this:

You are cordially invited to Tennessee Awards Ceremony to celebrate

Math Kangaroo 2015 National & State Winners,

who participated in the State of Tennessee, and their families.

I am sad that it is in Chattanooga which is a LONG ways from us.  Also it is being held this weekend so we don't really have time to plan a trip there. 

Strangely we are planning a trip there for June when he gets to take part in the state piano competition.  Seems Chattanooga is the place to be this year!

Leslie

• Like 2

Just mapped it and it would take 5 or more hours to get there.  is this something I should try to make work?  I had planned to head in a completely opposite direction this weekend and see my mom for Mother's Day and then go to my niece's graduation on Monday night (yes they have it on Monday night - stupid right?).  I could still make the graduation, but would be a LOT of being in the car.

I would not travel 5 hours to go to the ceremony. We go, and it's nice enough, but we're lucky that ours is about 20 minutes away. I wouldn't drive more than an hour to go, and not even that if I had other things going on that would make it stressful. They'll still get the prize to you.

• Like 1

Congratulations to all!!

I do think that having a ceremony in Chattanooga with less than a week's notice is a bit quick. That's a long drive for most of the state. My experience is that most TN state-wide stuff ends up being held in Nashville simply because it's centrally located. (Although I prefer the other stuff to do in Chattanooga to Nashville).

I would not travel 5 hours to go to the ceremony. We go, and it's nice enough, but we're lucky that ours is about 20 minutes away. I wouldn't drive more than an hour to go, and not even that if I had other things going on that would make it stressful. They'll still get the prize to you.

Thanks!  I just needed to hear that from someone with experience with it :)

I finally got our notification! I figured that if we hadn't heard by now it meant Alex didn't do as well as we thought. But they were just slow sending out the email. She scored 7th in Maryland and 13th nationwide at the fourth grade level. There are two kids in her program who got perfect scores at the 6th grade level! I am very impressed.

• Like 2

She scored 7th in Maryland and 13th nationwide at the fourth grade level.

My 4th grader is 12th in California and 13th nationwide. So I guess you won't want to relocate to California for higher pay for IQ testing (just kidding). My 5th grader is single digit for both state and nationwide.

This is the first time my 4th grader did a color the bubble test so it was nice he did okay. My 5th grader had to color the bubble for state tests in 2nd and 3rd.

• Like 1

Great job by all the kids! My oldest got 1st in state for 6th but didn't rank nationally. He says he's pretty sure he's 21st ;). If I scored his test right, & last year's 6th grade scores are similar, he's probably right. Haha. He went to the ceremony yesterday but the ribbons weren't available yet. That was a little disappointing. Why wouldn't they just wait until they were in hand? They had medals, board games, certificates, etc., but the ribbon winners didn't get them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Individual results (score, rank, and percentile) are posted! My son was disappointed again that he did not get an award, but greatly encouraged today to see how close he was (4th in state and 24th in nation). My daughter did place nationally, and we realized she was 4th in state from the 3rd place winners being right above her for national place, but still was excited to see it verified and see the other measures.

• Like 1

My kindergartener has been feeling a little sad that his sister placed and he didn't. It boosted him up tremendously to know that he was 17th in the state, especially compared to FIRST GRADERS. :tongue_smilie:  Overall, I think it was a huge learning experience for him and I'm proud that he was willing to go sit in a college lecture hall with 150 kids and some strange adults, and without his Mom, and take a hard test. That's a big deal for a newly-6-year-old!

• Like 5

Guest redlotus

mine  took the level 1-2. I never got any email till date. The results are up at the website and  She got the II in state and 15th at the national level..

My daughter did place nationally, and we realized she was 4th in state from the 3rd place winners being right above her for national place, but still was excited to see it verified and see the other measures.

How do you see results other than your own kids? I didn't register for an account so I checked using the IDs given to my kids and the email account I used for registering.

My oldest placed 5th in CA, 6th in nation. He said it was boring after the event :P

My youngest was disappointed for a short while with his nation percentile, 12th in CA, 13th in nation.

• Like 1

My daughter placed 43rd in nation. We spent a lot of time preparing, for 4 months didn't do anything else but competition math. Based on pre-tests I was quite hopeful she would get more than 70 points but she got 51. I guess we would need to spend more than half hour per day if we want to get serious with math. Still I am not unhappy, I can see that now that we are back to regular math she is doing much better than before. And even in 43rd place her percentile is 64% which I think is not that bad.

I guess we would need to spend more than half hour per day if we want to get serious with math. Still I am not unhappy, I can see that now that we are back to regular math she is doing much better than before.

On days we are outside and I don't wish to bring their math books, we would do past year contests problems as fun maths

For example you can try this book

"Math Olympiad Contest Problems Volume 2"

http://www.amazon.com/Olympiad-Contest-Problems-Volume-REVISED/dp/1882144112

We didn't buy the book, we downloaded every year the sample from MOEMS.

E.g. http://www.moems.org/sample_files/SampleE.pdf

We also downloaded the samples from Canada Math Kangaroo to get kids used to the format. We used a timer to see how many questions they can complete in the time limit allocated.

https://kangaroo.math.ca/index.php?kn_mod=samples

Hope that helps

• Like 1

How do you see results other than your own kids? I didn't register for an account so I checked using the IDs given to my kids and the email account I used for registering.

My oldest placed 5th in CA, 6th in nation. He said it was boring after the event :p

My youngest was disappointed for a short while with his nation percentile, 12th in CA, 13th in nation.

They should put them up at http://www.mathkangaroo.org/mk/results.htmlsoon, but they haven't yet (you can see previous years' on the right).

If you're asking how we knew she was fourth in state before seeing the online results, at our ceremony they announced the winners for state, from 3rd to 1st place, and then the winners for national (from our state), from 20th to 1st, and the third place winner for the state was called right after her for the national awards. Let me know if that doesn't answer your question.

I received the email below (names removed) today from the math kangaroo people. Apparently everyone who tested for grade 3/4 at the location near Houston where we tested received incorrect scores. I believe this will affect the rankings of everyone in Texas as there were several students at this location who checked their answers after results came out and were expecting perfect scores.

On May 20th, I sent email to the manager of the center with all parents' addresses in BCC field. I am sorry if you didn't get my message.

I have to admit, I used wrong answer keys and all your children's answers were evaluated incorrectly. 

The answer cards from your center reached us way to late, when all other cards were already in the scantron company. It was the reason for evaluating them manually. Unfortunately, the human mistake happened, I only wish it affected your children. 
One more time, please accept my sincere apology. We are working on straightening the issue out and you will hear from us sonn.

Okay so I am highly distracted right now so maybe this is more obvious than I realize, but can someone help me with this? 

Level 1

Center State TN

Score 63.0

PCT 65.63%

Nation Place 21

Nation Percentile 95.76%

State Place 1

State Percentile 77.78%

My question is ifhe scored 1st in state how is his percentage 77.78% at the same time he placed 21 in nation and his percentage is 95.76%

So, what place do the kids have to get to receive an award? I think based on this my son was ranked 4th in state and 10th nationally? But did not receive an award. I'm finding the results a little confusing (also our results don't list our state, FL... which seems strange).

Level: 4
Center State:
Student Score: 84.0
PCT: 87.5
Nation Place: 10
Nation Percentile: 93.56
State Place: 4
State Percentile: 90.38

Level 1

Center State TN

Score 63.0

PCT 65.63%

Nation Place 21

Nation Percentile 95.76%

State Place 1

State Percentile 77.78%

My question is ifhe scored 1st in state how is his percentage 77.78% at the same time he placed 21 in nation and his percentage is 95.76%

Percentile is the percent of students (in the particular group) that he scored better than. So, since he got first place in the state, and his percentile was 77.78, that means that about 22.2% of the first graders in TN got the top score (including him). For example, if there were 9 first graders in TN, he scored better than 7 of them, and so tied for first place with one other student. Similarly, for national, his percentile indicates that about 4.2% of the first graders nationally scored the same as or higher than him. The difference in the percentiles is most likely just sample size - if there were more first graders who took it in TN, his state percentile would likely be closer the national one.

• Like 1

So, what place do the kids have to get to receive an award? I think based on this my son was ranked 4th in state and 10th nationally? But did not receive an award. I'm finding the results a little confusing (also our results don't list our state, FL... which seems strange).

Level: 4

Center State:

Student Score: 84.0

PCT: 87.5

Nation Place: 10

Nation Percentile: 93.56

State Place: 4

State Percentile: 90.38

Top 3 state scores and top 20 nationally receive an award, so he should have received an award for his national place. I would email your site coordinator or MK headquarters to ask about it.

Percentile is the percent of students (in the particular group) that he scored better than. So, since he got first place in the state, and his percentile was 77.78, that means that about 22.2% of the first graders in TN got the top score (including him). For example, if there were 9 first graders in TN, he scored better than 7 of them, and so tied for first place with one other student. Similarly, for national, his percentile indicates that about 4.2% of the first graders nationally scored the same as or higher than him. The difference in the percentiles is most likely just sample size - if there were more first graders who took it in TN, his state percentile would likely be closer the national one.

Thanks!  I was kind of thinking on those lines, but wasn't sure.

(also our results don't list our state, FL... which seems strange).

Both my boys results emailed from math kangaroo didn't have the state listed either.

We received the award ceremony invite from the franchise owner of the center my kids took math kangaroo at.

• 1 month later...

Since we were not able to attend the awards ceremony I thought they would mail us something, but so far we haven't gotten anything. Any ideas?

We were told to collect from the host's office if we couldn't attend. My kids received a prize and a certificate each.

Email the person who sent you the ceremony invite for where to collect your child's cert and prize.

• Like 1