Menu

Pre School in NYC

Jacobadom8

Hi everybody,

I have a 2.5 years old son and I feel now is the right time to send him to a preschool. I am a single Father living in NYC. My neighbor recommended Montclare Children's School and I am pretty happy with their curriculum but I still want to have a look at some more options, so that I can provide the best environment to my kid. Please advise?

1) First and foremost, if you have just started looking/aren't on a waiting list or anything you might be having a hell of time to get him in, no matter what. One of things I hated about the big city was how cumbersome and convoluted the application process can be for just primary education. Or worse, Preschool and Kindergarten. Not to mention the absurd costs.

Now,

2) Monteclare is an excellent school--extremely expensive, yes, but also excellent from what I was able to tell. But I have a problem--as in "Never mind, I'm never sending my kid here" problem with their technology for preschoolers stance. I disagree with the premise that there is EVER a good reason to give an NT (neuro-typical) or typically developing toddler/preschooler any gadget in a school setting.

If it is an assistive device for a child with some sort of special needs--sure, absolutely. But I'm not going to be ponying up 5-13 THOUSAND dollars to Montclare or any other school for my kid to play with an electronic gadget. I just refuse, its absurd. If I'm paying that type of money, he'd better be engaged with people, paper and playthings without batteries. I want him stimulated and growing, not pointing and clicking. If I want my kid to have a tablet or computer, they can use mine in my presence. I would want my kids to get from PreK what I **CANT** give them at home--a group of peers, playing games with other kids, the stimulation that comes from being with and observing others up close, the benefit of over hearing other (kid friendly) conversations and learning from and with their peers, witnessing and experiencing consequences, connecting with reliable and loving adults besides just mommy and daddy, that sort of thing. My kid can play with a tablet at home with me if I wanted him to. I don't.

3) Personally, I think that PreK kids thrive most with a 1-on-1 care taker at that age/stage directing their experiences and catering to their needs. I would encourage you to consider getting a PT or FT Nanny for him--one that will do an engaging program with him at home/around the city. The child will not learn anything in an PreK institute that he can't learn just as well, faster and better from someone talking to him about a variety of things, taking him to play groups, musuems, trips uptown, playing with him etc...A good PreK experience mimics an enriched home life where the child would have adults doting on and supporting their development.

• Like 8

.. it's also a forum for after schoolers and people who just want a little classical inspiration!

Welcome, I personally agree with the above about gadgets, but I don't live in New York or a comparable city and have no IDEA what schools and prices are like there, I hope you find something lovely for your son that makes you both happy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...