Menu

October state assessment was a "practice test"?? Thanks for telling me.

Just got this note from the teacher.  They are apparently doing another 3rd grade State reading assessment in April.  "The one in October was a practice test.  This one is going to count!"  Really??  So if my kid was solid on the October test she can still flunk?

They just did Terra Novas all week last week.  Now the teacher says they get to "take a break" before the April test.  Oh goodie.

Wonder what other surprises we have in store.  After all, there are 11 more weeks of school.  Anything could happen.

:glare:

I'm sorry but after reading your other thread about the grades... I'd be royally PO'd.  :cursing:

TBH, in our state all the testing seems to get done in early spring/late winter.  Seems odd they'd spend all this time on extra testing.  Maybe the school is needing to boost their scores so they have the kids take an eval in the fall so they can identify kids who are pulling down the school averages to help them out more for the real test. 

Honestly, though, the teacher/school should have communicated much better, even a little note home or e-mail stating they were doing practice test taking in the fall to see what improvements were needed.  I wonder if you were given the dramatic "eat a good breakfast and don't be late" hassle last October already!  :confused1:

I posted about this on facebook because I have some friends who are teachers or have kids in school in my state.  One of the teachers said that my kids' teacher is wrong, that the October test was not a "practice" test, and if they passed that then they passed.

But since our school is private, and they aren't even required to take the test in the first place, so I wonder if they are using it differently.

But yeah, the teacher is getting on my nerves.

Today my kids told me the teacher got mad and screamed and threw her books and almost hit a kid.  They said several kids were crying.  I hope she didn't actually come close to hurting a kid, but my - and it's only Monday.  :p

I posted about this on facebook because I have some friends who are teachers or have kids in school in my state. One of the teachers said that my kids' teacher is wrong, that the October test was not a "practice" test, and if they passed that then they passed.

But since our school is private, and they aren't even required to take the test in the first place, so I wonder if they are using it differently.

But yeah, the teacher is getting on my nerves.

Today my kids told me the teacher got mad and screamed and threw her books and almost hit a kid. They said several kids were crying. I hope she didn't actually come close to hurting a kid, but my - and it's only Monday. :p

That last part would get a police call in my world. If true she needs to be fired.

:(. Sorry your girls are in this situation. I'd even keep them home until finding out what happened from admin.

• Like 1

SKL, let me get this straight: your school fails children, elementary-aged children, based on federal or state standardized tests? Do they know what those tests are designed to measure?

Washington has one test per year per student, Smarter Balanced, with the exception of 5th and 8th grades, when they take the MSP to measure progress as they move up to the next level. They applied to stop MSP and SB so that they will have only one test per year.

http://www.k12.wa.us/assessment/statetesting/

That gives an overview of the general test schedule. In HS they have four tests: one smarter balanced, one bio, one algebra, and one reading at the end. So that would average to one per year provided they do algebra and bio in 9th and 10th.

So, there ya go. Since this school seems totally unreliable and disorganized, you have the state to tell you.

As for the teacher throwing things, I don't know where you grew up but I went to some pretty low-class schools, as well as amazing schools, in my day. That behavior is UNHEARD of around here and I'd be freaking out. I wish you good luck in dealing with that situation.

SKL, let me get this straight: your school fails children, elementary-aged children, based on federal or state standardized tests? Do they know what those tests are designed to measure?

Washington has one test per year per student, Smarter Balanced, with the exception of 5th and 8th grades, when they take the MSP to measure progress as they move up to the next level. They applied to stop MSP and SB so that they will have only one test per year.

http://www.k12.wa.us/assessment/statetesting/

That gives an overview of the general test schedule. In HS they have four tests: one smarter balanced, one bio, one algebra, and one reading at the end. So that would average to one per year provided they do algebra and bio in 9th and 10th.

So, there ya go. Since this school seems totally unreliable and disorganized, you have the state to tell you.

As for the teacher throwing things, I don't know where you grew up but I went to some pretty low-class schools, as well as amazing schools, in my day. That behavior is UNHEARD of around here and I'd be freaking out. I wish you good luck in dealing with that situation.

Actually it's the state that is requiring 3rd graders to pass the state reading assessment or else repeat.  My school is not required to follow this because it is not public, but they have chosen to participate, at least at some level.  I don't know what they have in mind exactly.  I do know my kids won't be repeating 3rd grade regardless.  :p

As for the book throwing, yeah, that is unacceptable.  Apparently the teacher is becoming unglued.  Maybe she is in therapy, who knows?  But today she wrote my kid up for telling her classmates (who were monkeying around in the hall) "Mrs. __ is coming."  And then for missing the instruction to "stop at the door" while walking back to the class.  Such horrible behavior compared to screaming and throwing books!  Who signs her discipline notes over her tantrums?  :/

Actually it's the state that is requiring 3rd graders to pass the state reading assessment or else repeat.  My school is not required to follow this because it is not public, but they have chosen to participate, at least at some level.  I don't know what they have in mind exactly.  I do know my kids won't be repeating 3rd grade regardless.  :p

Sorry I thought you were in Washington State.

I am in no way calling your kid a liar or saying aggressive behavior is okay, but having been a teacher please remember your reports are being filtered through a small child.

Keep your ears up, definitely ask the teacher, try to figure out why such reports are coming home, but do not immediately jump to the conclusion that the information is infalible. I have had many an interesting meeting with various parents reports which have been heard ( in both my classroom and other teachers). None of them were completely false, but most all of them were vastly skewed due to the age or thoughts of the witness.

I will also say that there were a whole stack of things that I wish my parents would have checked up on as well. There are many reasons that I will not send my son to public school. So I am not saying the teacher is right either. More just exercise caution so everyone involved doesn't look ridiculous.

• Like 1

I am in no way calling your kid a liar or saying aggressive behavior is okay, but having been a teacher please remember your reports are being filtered through a small child.

Keep your ears up, definitely ask the teacher, try to figure out why such reports are coming home, but do not immediately jump to the conclusion that the information is infalible. I have had many an interesting meeting with various parents reports which have been heard ( in both my classroom and other teachers). None of them were completely false, but most all of them were vastly skewed due to the age or thoughts of the witness.

I will also say that there were a whole stack of things that I wish my parents would have checked up on as well. There are many reasons that I will not send my son to public school. So I am not saying the teacher is right either. More just exercise caution so everyone involved doesn't look ridiculous.

I'm not saying or doing anything to the teacher, not reporting it, etc.  My kids are not going to die even if she is doing what they report.

However, I am inclined to believe it because both of my kids were there and their stories sync on this one.  There is no reason why they would have told me this (down to who had tears in their eyes) if it wasn't true.  Of course their description might be different from what mine would be, but I believe she screamed and threw her books in the classroom out of frustration at the kids.

I already knew she was a screamer and a public shamer.  So this is just a little beyond what I've come to expect.

I do kind of hope one or two parents hear about the incident and inquire further.  You know, the parents of the "golden children" who don't have to worry about repercussions.

I'm not saying or doing anything to the teacher, not reporting it, etc.  My kids are not going to die even if she is doing what they report.

However, I am inclined to believe it because both of my kids were there and their stories sync on this one.  There is no reason why they would have told me this (down to who had tears in their eyes) if it wasn't true.  Of course their description might be different from what mine would be, but I believe she screamed and threw her books in the classroom out of frustration at the kids.

I already knew she was a screamer and a public shamer.  So this is just a little beyond what I've come to expect.

I do kind of hope one or two parents hear about the incident and inquire further.  You know, the parents of the "golden children" who don't have to worry about repercussions.

Totally off topic SKL, but I can't imagine doing all your extracurriculars!  Do the girls do all of them or are they seasonal or something?  I feel like such a slacker!  :)

Totally off topic SKL, but I can't imagine doing all your extracurriculars!  Do the girls do all of them or are they seasonal or something?  I feel like such a slacker!  :)

Year round:  TKD, gymnastics, dance, swimming, horse riding, scouts/4H, piano.

Seasonal:  soccer (spring & fall).

Depends on the whims of the coaches:  archery and yoga.

It's not difficult once one gets into a rhythm.  And most of our activities are non-competitive / laid back, so if we have too much to do that day, we can miss a class without guilt.

Year round: TKD, gymnastics, dance, swimming, horse riding, scouts/4H, piano.

Seasonal: soccer (spring & fall).

Depends on the whims of the coaches: archery and yoga.

It's not difficult once one gets into a rhythm. And most of our activities are non-competitive / laid back, so if we have too much to do that day, we can miss a class without guilt.

But still! :) you must have multiple things in one day or some magic transport. I started swimming with scouts on one day and it was not great. But they're at different locations. If we could do a few things all in one place/day that would be possible. But not at your level! You're advanced :)

You're advanced :)

:iagree:  This! 

My son does 2 sports, 1 musical instrument and recreational chess and soroban math - but still, I am gasping to keep up the schedules most of the times. SKL and her kids are super advanced :)

Super advanced, I dunno, but we've been juggling since my kids were babies (and I'm a single mom), so maybe I just have a lot of practice.  It is helpful for us to have something to do each evening, because otherwise we go into a sort of primitive mode - kids act foolish, trash the house, don't want to eat right or go to bed on time, Mom isn't in a "get 'em done" kind of groove.  (When you're tired, it can be easier to take your kids somewhere than to fuss with them over bad habits etc.)  The kids do get at least one free evening per week.

• Like 2

Super advanced, I dunno, but we've been juggling since my kids were babies (and I'm a single mom), so maybe I just have a lot of practice.  It is helpful for us to have something to do each evening, because otherwise we go into a sort of primitive mode - kids act foolish, trash the house, don't want to eat right or go to bed on time, Mom isn't in a "get 'em done" kind of groove.  (When you're tired, it can be easier to take your kids somewhere than to fuss with them over bad habits etc.)  The kids do get at least one free evening per week.

You're right.  Not super advanced but super awesome!!!

:laugh:  :thumbup1:

Some are in the same place though I think. I couldn't do it though. At the moment one has gym on Monday, one French on Tuesday and they both go to afterschool care on Wednesday. Tuesdays are horrid - finish work at 3 charge across town to get kids and back across to french at 3.15. We are always late as parking is horrid and one of them has wandered off to play. I thought the class was 3.30 when I signed up.

• Like 1

That is exactly my life. We took a night off last week because I felt they were tired. Hoo boy, was that a mistake!

• Like 1

Man, that sucks.  I'm sorry your kids have to be subjected to such ridiculously low role models.  I had an administrator who was like this.  Major bummer.  Good life lesson, but still a royal pain in the tookus.

I thought all schools did state assessments in the spring. It wouldn't really make sense to do them in the fall because most of the school year is still to happen.

ETA: I forgot you're in a private school. I know our school does some benchmark testing at the beginning of the year, but the testing is toward the end of the year. My younger DD has her first state assessments this week. March Madness indeed.

In my son's school, they have 2 tests (ERB - they do a "Fall test" and a "Spring test") - the Fall test is for assessing where they are when they enter the grade and the Spring test is to assess where they are when they exit the grade. 

Our state tests them in October of 3rd grade to see if they are at 3rd grade proficiency.  Don't ask me why it's in October.  Previously I had heard that all the later tests were to give additional chances to the kids who didn't test "proficient" in October.  Now I'm hearing differently.  My friend who teaches in my state says the reason they test all kids again in April is to measure growth, but I guess it also has the added benefit of passing kids who have improved enough to become proficient between October and April.  I think they still have more tests in the summer for those who flunk the April test (though I don't know if schools are required to administer them).

My kids read fine.  But I get a bit nervous about these tests, because my kids aren't great test takers and they are young for their grade.  It may be an irrational fear at this point, but I don't want the school to have any excuses to not promote one of my kids.

Last year was our state's first using a Common Core–aligned test. There were so many problems with the test administration—including a hack that affected the test servers and resulted in some test answers not being saved—that they decided to throw them out and not count them. Kind of annoying that the students had to waste so much time taking tests for no reason.

It may be an irrational fear at this point, but I don't want the school to have any excuses to not promote one of my kids.

I don't actually believe the tests measure growth accurately.  With my kids, it depends on what kind of day they are having.  It is quite possible that they will show negative growth.

Standardized tests are only a part of an assessment of student growth in private schools - they have other factors like teacher observation, weekly tests, projects, reports etc that are used in addition to the standardized testing to get a correct picture of the child's growth. So, there is no need to be nervous about these tests :)

• 3 weeks later...

If a teacher loses it to the point of screaming and throwing books at kids, I'd be concerned what's next. Sure, throwing books at kids (and missing) is not the end of the world, and I can understand not wanting to report it out of concern for repercussions for your kids, but when people get stressed and they start escalating, someone might physically get hurt. I would report it, or at least talk to her about it. If I was concerned about repercussions, I might phrase it like "She's normally such a nice/good teacher, but I'm worried she maybe has post-partum depression, because this is so unlike herself, but my kids say she threw books at the kids, which, you know, kids aren't always accurate, but I thought you should know, because I'm worried about her, that she maybe needs a little break, since having a little baby can be so stressful" or something like that.