Menu

Ugh! You can't "sale" things at a yard "sell"

Zydruna

Before I moved to this area I had never heard these two words used incorrectly like this.  Frankly, if you had told me that some people actually think it is correct to say "I need to sale my car" or "Target has shoes for sell" I would have sworn you were pulling my leg.  

Since being here however, I see it happen DAILY, coming from different people from all walks of life. It makes me :cursing:  every time!! 

I told dd that if she doesn't learn anything else from our homeschooling, she WILL learn the difference between "sale" and "sell!"

Anyone else have a grammar/vocabulary error that is common in your region that drives you nuts?

• Like 18

I think the use of "sale" as a verb in the south may be a result of the southern drawl - as in "se-ell"-  and then when people heard it they altered the spelling to match the sound.  That doesn't explain the usage of "sell" as a noun though.

• Like 4

I see this online in comments various places  all. the. time.

I could care less.

slow breath.  count to 10. . . . .

It's I could NOT care less people!!!!!

oh, and

c/sh/would "of" instead of c/sh/would have.

• Like 10

I have a friend from a very particular region of the south and he pronounces "sell" as "sale" and "sale" as "sell" as well as swapping other words of that ilk like "hail" and "hell." He's literate and spells them correctly; that's just how he pronounces them. If he weren't so aware of it and careful with his spelling, I can imagine he would spell them the way they sound to him. Do you happen to live along the border of North and South Carolina, close to the mountains,by any chance?

• Like 3

I have a friend from a very particular region of the south and he pronounces "sell" as "sale" and "sale" as "sell" as well as swapping other words of that ilk like "hail" and "hell." He's literate and spells them correctly; that's just how he pronounces them. If he weren't so aware of it and careful with his spelling, I can imagine he would spell them the way they sound to him. Do you happen to live along the border of North and South Carolina, close to the mountains,by any chance?

Nope, closer to the KY- TN border.  When I first started hearing it, I attributed it to the accent it didn't really bother me.  Then I started seeing it written that way, even on formal documents written by well-educated people.  Now, even when I hear it spoken it bugs me because I can no longer give the benefit of the doubt that the speaker wouldn't most likely use the wrong written word too.

• Like 1

Similarly, when I was little another little girl told me her mother was in ''gel''. I had no idea what she was talking about, and she finally had to go into a bit of detail to make me understand that her mother was in ''jail'', so then I felt terrible. They had just moved to California, but I don't know where they'd come from.

• Like 1

I think the use of "sale" as a verb in the south may be a result of the southern drawl - as in "se-ell"-  and then when people heard it they altered the spelling to match the sound.  That doesn't explain the usage of "sell" as a noun though.

Well, they are pronounced exactly the same by everyone I know.

Not a lick of difference when you hear them.

My favorite: ideal instead of idea..As in, "I have no ideal how you would do that!"  It is a very localized usage...

Similarly, when I was little another little girl told me her mother was in ''gel''. I had no idea what she was talking about, and she finally had to go into a bit of detail to make me understand that her mother was in ''jail'', so then I felt terrible. They had just moved to California, but I don't know where they'd come from.

I had a very frustrating conversation with a co-worker shortly after moving here in which she was telling me about her daughter using "crowns" to create some project (I forget the details of it) and I could not for the life of me figure out how crowns would have anything to do with what her daughter was making.  Finally, after about 20 mins of back and forth confusion, I finally figured out that she was talking about crayons!  :lol:

• Like 2

Before I moved to this area I had never heard these two words used incorrectly like this.  Frankly, if you had told me that some people actually think it is correct to say "I need to sale my car" or "Target has shoes for sell" I would have sworn you were pulling my leg.  

Since being here however, I see it happen DAILY, coming from different people from all walks of life. It makes me :cursing:  every time!! 

I told dd that if she doesn't learn anything else from our homeschooling, she WILL learn the difference between "sale" and "sell!"

Anyone else have a grammar/vocabulary error that is common in your region that drives you nuts?

You must be in the South. I had NEVER heard these words used in this way until I moved to NC.

My favorite: ideal instead of idea..As in, "I have no ideal how you would do that!"  It is a very localized usage...

Yes! My DH used to do this when we first started dating. At first I thought I was hearing him incorrectly and then when I called him out on it he had no idea it was wrong. He learned it from his father, who still uses it incorrectly. 

One that I've been seeing more and more often is 'an' instead of 'and.'  Is 'and' really too long to spell out or do people not realize the word actually has a 'd' on the end??  :confused1:

• Like 1

I've noticed a lot of people around here use the word ornery. It is a great word! I love it! I use it all the time. But they use it incorrectly. As an example, at a PT eval one of my kids was cracking up over a whoopee cushion. He had never seen one and thought it was the funniest thing ever. The PT kept talking about how ornery he was and how he was going to be a handful because he is just the orneriest kid and so on. She meant boisterous or enthusiastic. It was making me twitchy.

• Like 1

Sell and Sale gets me too.  I don't see it too much, but occasionally I will.  

I see loose weight a lot instead of lose weight.  The one that makes me cringe every single time is "I seen ..."; what happened to saw or have seen?    

I dunno'. I seem to have a lot of loose weight hanging right over my waistband. :coolgleamA:

• Like 7

Re: ornery

Alternative meaning: Although the majority of participants agreed with the dictionaries, a strong minority of participants had a completely different definition and had heard of no other. These participants, including myself, believe "ornery" to mean a good-spirited trickster, a cute yet exasperating individual, or someone who is mischievous (with a positive connotation). Many thought of a favorite and sweet wily grandparent or an adorable child who is always pulling April-fools-type tricks. The individuals who recognized this definition primarily came from the Midwest. Only a few participants recognized both the majority and minority definitions of the word. A few participants fell somewhere between the two definitions, i.e., a prankster but in the negative sense.

(The whole thing is worth reading, including the comments.)

Seems to me as a basic principle of lexicography that speech is primary. If a "strong minority" of speakers disagrees with the dictionary, then it is the dictionary that is at fault - not the speakers. If we were to say that one definition of ornery is wrong, why not say they're both wrong because the word is "really" just ordinary, and should be used with that pronunciation and meaning? (Of course, I have no idea what the original sample size was here.)

Language change is an amazing thing, isn't it?  Look what happened to "silly"!

• Like 5

I see that on occasion here too.

The sign error that bugs me most is when people put letters backwards on signs.  Not in situations when you can assume 'they ran out of the letter N so they are using an upside down U instead"....that I can kind of forgive.  But the ones where letters like the capital letter N is backwards. 

"Borrow" it to you.  No, you will LOAN it to me.  One lady said that she and her husband had gone to the bank to get a loan, but that her husband's parents had borrowed it to them instead.  Definitely, makes me nuts.  I wanted to ask her....why did you go to the bank?  "To get a LOAN, right?"

Ugh.

• Like 2

My favorite: ideal instead of idea..As in, "I have no ideal how you would do that!" It is a very localized usage...

Here it is idear instead of idea. It is mostly people in their late 60's and older that I hear use it, so I find it cute.

"Borrow" it to you.  No, you will LOAN it to me.  One lady said that she and her husband had gone to the bank to get a loan, but that her husband's parents had borrowed it to them instead.  Definitely, makes me nuts.  I wanted to ask her....why did you go to the bank?  "To get a LOAN, right?"

Ugh.

I take it you don't adhere to the traditional loan/lend distinction?

• Like 2

My turn.

Why do people now say they are standing 'on' line?? Or they have to get 'on' line at the checkout??

Is there a line drawn on the floor and everybody is actually standing on it? Doesn't 'on-line' refer to the internet?

Several years ago, didn't everybody wait 'IN' a line? This drives me crazy!  :confused1:

The people are around here confuse "let" and "leave" all the time.

For example:

I forgot my money so I had to let my groceries on the counter.

Or:

Leave me help you with that.

They also don't do gerunds correctly. Instead of saying, "These dishes need washing," they'll say, "These dishes need washed." "The roses need pruned." "The tired needs fixed."

I have since found out that it's a very common thing in this area, the dropping of the -ing. Some sort of PA Dutch thing that goes all the way up to Pittsburg and maybe Ohio. It drives me crazy.

DH's family does this, though he doesn't, and he defends them in it. He found an article that stated that it's some sort of dialect and the people who do this have no clue that they're wrong.

But they ARE wrong. And it drives me bonkers. I never, ever correct them, but I secretly cringe.

• Like 1

on craigslist.

rod iron. . . . .

um, no.  this is what happens when people don't read actual books with good grammar and spelling.  they start spelling things phonetically - even if the phonetics are wrong.  though I did once cover for an office aid who filed phonetically . . . .

• Like 3

That's what I was thinking. In certain accents, sale and sell would be said identically, along with pin, pan,&  pen. :)

• Like 1

My turn.

Why do people now say they are standing 'on' line?? Or they have to get 'on' line at the checkout??

Is there a line drawn on the floor and everybody is actually standing on it? Doesn't 'on-line' refer to the internet?

Several years ago, didn't everybody wait 'IN' a line? This drives me crazy!  :confused1:

On line is the normal way to say it in the NYC area, and has been forever. In fact, it's a well-known NYC shibboleth. Maybe your area has had a recent influx of New Yorkers?

DH's family does this, though he doesn't, and he defends them in it. He found an article that stated that it's some sort of dialect and the people who do this have no clue that they're wrong.

They aren't wrong. They speak a different dialect from you. The rules that are okay in that dialect aren't the same as the rules that are okay in your dialect, but objectively, they are of equal value. Even if you speak SAE, that dialect isn't better or worse than any other ones.

rod iron. . . . .

What an amusing eggcorn! I'll have to submit it to the database, though I bet they've seen it before even if it's a new one by me. It's not the most common phrase, and we don't really use the word "wrought" anymore since "worked" move in, so it makes sense that people would reanalyze the phrase "wrought iron".

Edit: Turns out they already have it, and have since 2005. I'm a day late and a dollar short, as always.

• Like 3

Re: ornery

Alternative meaning: Although the majority of participants agreed with the dictionaries, a strong minority of participants had a completely different definition and had heard of no other. These participants, including myself, believe "ornery" to mean a good-spirited trickster, a cute yet exasperating individual, or someone who is mischievous (with a positive connotation). Many thought of a favorite and sweet wily grandparent or an adorable child who is always pulling April-fools-type tricks. The individuals who recognized this definition primarily came from the Midwest. Only a few participants recognized both the majority and minority definitions of the word. A few participants fell somewhere between the two definitions, i.e., a prankster but in the negative sense.

(The whole thing is worth reading, including the comments.)

Seems to me as a basic principle of lexicography that speech is primary. If a "strong minority" of speakers disagrees with the dictionary, then it is the dictionary that is at fault - not the speakers. If we were to say that one definition of ornery is wrong, why not say they're both wrong because the word is "really" just ordinary, and should be used with that pronunciation and meaning? (Of course, I have no idea what the original sample size was here.)

Language change is an amazing thing, isn't it?  Look what happened to "silly"!

I grew up in the mid-Atlantic region and ornery was used with the positive connotation there. I didn't know about a negative connoation until I was in college. And yes, dictionaries are kept updated based on how speech patterns change. There are certain criteria for when a word enters the dictionary and when a new definition is added.

• Like 1

I see that all the time here! Many people have their "chester drawers for sell" on the local Facebook page. :rolleyes:

They also say "I seen," which drives me crazy!

I have seen "chester drawers" since the 70's when it would show up repeatedly in the Pennysaver ads. Another was "Rot Iron" or "Rod Iron."

• Like 1

When I visit family in OK we always go antique shopping. The last time I was there, one shop had a hutch full of knick-knacks with two hand-written signs taped to the glass doors. Both said, "FILL FREE TO OPEN". I was wishing I had a red marker or pen on hand, but sadly I was forced to walk away without correcting it! :lol:

• Like 2

They also don't do gerunds correctly. Instead of saying, "These dishes need washing," they'll say, "These dishes need washed." "The roses need pruned." "The tired needs fixed."

I have since found out that it's a very common thing in this area, the dropping of the -ing. Some sort of PA Dutch thing that goes all the way up to Pittsburg and maybe Ohio. It drives me crazy.

My SIL/work partner speaks this way. I silently scream every time. Her family of origin was Pennsylvania Dutch (which is an interesting bastardization itself; they are not Dutch, they are Deutsch - German).

On line is the normal way to say it in the NYC area, and has been forever. In fact, it's a well-known NYC shibboleth. Maybe your area has had a recent influx of New Yorkers?

I live in New York and it wasn't like this a decade ago. I've had many conversations with other confused New Yorkers who wonder the same thing.

Where I live the most common misused word is brought instead of bought. "I just brought a new car." Really? No, you didn't bring it anywhere, you bought it! Drives me batty. I even corrected a guest in our home by accident once. I think I offended them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in New York and it wasn't like this a decade ago. I've had many conversations with other confused New Yorkers who wonder the same thing.

I live in NYC and have my whole life, and I adamantly disagree. As proof, I give you Do You Speak American?, which was produced 10 years ago and based on work going back to the 1980s. They specifically mention "on" line.There is also the Dialect Survey, which was completed in 2003.

It certainly was like this a decade ago. You simply didn't notice much, and are now grappling with a recency illusion. Happens to everybody. I first noticed "if you would have $VERBed" in place of SAE "if you had $VERBed" a few years ago and began to see it everywhere. At first I thought it was a neologism, but then I realized it'd been going on for decades and I just hadn't noticed.

• Like 1