Menu

Ignore this thread!

17 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

After dinner and cake we're going to watch Coco.

How did you like Coco?? I thought it was a sweet movie. We watched Beauty and the Beast last night. The real people version they made of the Disney cartoon. It was good. The kids did notice the “objectionable”parts, and honestly, it kind of made me mad. It was a good movie and they seemed to throw that in gratuitously as some kind of political move. But, overall, it was well done.

• Like 2

Very nice reading list, Junie.

ok, I have a question. If one is doing a reading challenge and one must read “A Classic”, does that mean the book itself must be A Classic, or the writer only should be in that upper eschelon of writers... I.e. Twain, Austin, etc. Of course, nobody is giving me a prize or even checking or even cares, but.... you know me, the rule follower. I have to read A Classic and when I went to the library I picked up “Eight Cousins” by Louisa May Alcott. I’d never heard of the book, but my thought is that the author, being LMA, it should count. 

• Like 2

FIL is leaving for California today.  One of Dh's sisters is going with him.  I am ticked though because they are insisting that dh show up to help lug suitcases.  Ds's birthday lunch, which has already been put off a week is supposed to be this afternoon right after church and this stupid airport trip is going to complicate everything.  Has no one thought of paying a bit extra to ask a porter to haul the suitcases? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

How did you like Coco?? I thought it was a sweet movie. We watched Beauty and the Beast last night. The real people version they made of the Disney cartoon. It was good. The kids did notice the “objectionable”parts, and honestly, it kind of made me mad. It was a good movie and they seemed to throw that in gratuitously as some kind of political move. But, overall, it was well done.

I thought it was OK.  Loved the Grandma Coco.  That kid learned how to play the guitar brilliantly by, what, 9 years old?  No lessons?  No 10,000 hours of practice?  Now I'm getting nit-picky.  :biggrin:   One thing I appreciate about Pixar is that they don't seem to feel as compelled to insert modern political or social issues into the story as other film makers.

I thought Hermione was perhaps the worst possible choice for Belle.  I mean, honestly, of all the hundreds of beautiful, brilliant actors out there who can also sing, they choose one who cannot sing and can't act when she is trying to sing.  I loved the setttings and other characters.  The psychedelic scene was weird.  And the new Belle Barbie doll is terrifying.  :biggrin:

#crotchetyoldmusiciansuntie

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Very nice reading list, Junie.

ok, I have a question. If one is doing a reading challenge and one must read “A Classic”, does that mean the book itself must be A Classic, or the writer only should be in that upper eschelon of writers... I.e. Twain, Austin, etc. Of course, nobody is giving me a prize or even checking or even cares, but.... you know me, the rule follower. I have to read A Classic and when I went to the library I picked up “Eight Cousins” by Louisa May Alcott. I’d never heard of the book, but my thought is that the author, being LMA, it should count. 

39 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Eight Cousins counts as a classic.  (And yes, I've read it.)

I loved that book so much when I was young!  I would definitely call it a classic even if it's not as well known.  I think we have the sequels, too.  Rose in Bloom, and another one.  Eight Cousins, The Melendy Family, and King of the Wind were my go-to favorites.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

FIL is leaving for California today.  One of Dh's sisters is going with him.  I am ticked though because they are insisting that dh show up to help lug suitcases.  Ds's birthday lunch, which has already been put off a week is supposed to be this afternoon right after church and this stupid airport trip is going to complicate everything.  Has no one thought of paying a bit extra to ask a porter to haul the suitcases? 

He's flying?  How about they ask for elderly/disabled assistance?  My vote is that dh assures them that he will NOT make it, but there will be people there who will be happy to help.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I think I would eat a pickled radish.

Church & Sunday School (only one more week of teaching after today!)

Coffee!

You would definitely eat a pickled radish if you were in my house. On a hot dog. With Sriracha and mayo and carrots and cilantro and jalapeno. Bahn mi dogs!

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

EDpo warning.  Avert your eyes.  On a Sunday.  Sacrilege.

So, (because edpos must start with so), my 15yo dd is not a math lover (to say the least).  We agreed to re-start math in July to give us extra time to finish for the coming school year.  She wants to do Saxon (algebra 1).  I have no plans to turn her into a math major; I'll be happy with a firm foundation in the basics - a general understanding, a reasonable competency in highschool math and the ability to go to college (kwim?).  When we tried to go away from Saxon (year before last), we were not successful because she wasn't getting the constant review (perhaps even over-learning) she needs to achieve automaticity, and thereby retention.  She does not seem to retain without Saxon's spiral and repetition.  On the other hand, (while I know Saxon may be lacking in some ways - i.e. I personally feel that a mathier kid needs to see higher math in organized chunks - related lessons together and make bigger connections, etc.), in other ways I think it demands too much.  It is so incremental and detailed - I think maybe it is more detailed than what she really needs as far as basic competency in algebra, geometry and algebra 2.  Lastly, she does not like it when I suggest changes to the plan.  So, I'm probably stuck with using Saxon with her.  I just wish there was something that a) showed her the big picture, 2) didn't expect incredibly detailed retention, but enabled her to have conceptual retention, 3) let her feel successful and 4) didn't kill us both.  I'm looking for a unicorn, right?  See, I wonder if MUS would be good for her, (but then I think how in the world when it doesn't review like Saxon does...... ) or the Key to series (but no one thinks it's good enough to stand alone) - I think she would understand the Key to series while she was doing it, but then she would forget it all as soon as she walked away from it.  

Trophies for all who read all that.  Two trophies if you understood it.  A free unicorn if you know what we should use and guarantee we will love it all year long.     

I loved Saxon. We had it at school. I don't care what anybody says about how it kills love of math blah blah blah. It gave ME the foundation I needed to finish college calculus with an A and go back into math 15 years later. It shored me up in areas where I had been weak. I learned to love math with Saxon but no I was not enthusiastic or even reasonable as a teen.

I think you should stick with it. Sometimes kids Intuit the bigger picture when they feel comfortable with all the parts. Your daughter may not love math now but a solid grasp of formulae will allow her to succeed in the math needed for economics/sociology or medical degree.

I honestly don't know where the hate of Saxon comes from. I think LoF looks ridiculous and it does not align with my u derstanding of how math needs to be taught to most kids. But I can see how for some kids, that is going to get them further than anything else will. And I can see how progressing along with math facts while maintaining interest in math theory is going to be the #1 goal for some families. So I don't go around harping on how it would kill my kid's love for or understanding of math.

Let go of the haters and enjoy a truly solid, proven foundation in math. 

• Like 4

I"m not worried that Saxon is killing her love of math.  I was being funny about finding something we will love all year long, lol.  I just don't think she's really achieving a practical understanding with it and I think that a fair amount of the problems ask much more of her than necessary for a basic competency.  But, I do really appreciate you sharing your love.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I"m not worried that Saxon is killing her love of math.  I was being funny about finding something we will love all year long, lol.  I just don't think she's really achieving a practical understanding with it and I think that a fair amount of the problems ask much more of her than necessary for a basic competency.  But, I do really appreciate you sharing your love.  

I don't think algebra sinks in for some people until years later. Some people just won't hit that developmental milestone until later. Solid algorithms are enough. I would focus on "well enough to apply". I mean how many fifteen year olds get Romeo and Juliet, the whole thing? Like all of it? Or worse... Hamlet? They get SOME of it. But they will all hopefully get it much more later after years of using those concepts. And that is okay.

As for using more than basic competency, I think that is what hammers in the basics. Like, running sprints when training for a marathon. No you won't run a marathon at that speed but you need speed skills. And you won't be a sprinter. But the full training is needed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Krissi, please thank California for sending us strawberries.  ❤️

Jean & Tsuga, please thank Washington for sending us cherries.  ❤️

You’re welcome. We’ve moved on from strawberries and are now eating apricots and our Muscat grapes are coming off the vine and are yummy.

• Like 3

Over 2K written and I exceeded my goal by about 200 words. Very tired, though. I did a critique, and have two more to do if I get to them today. I still have to write up the school plans for next week (that's up next). I have some editing and reading to do. Laundry is almost done and dinner is fixing to go in the oven.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

My skirt has given up the ghost with my weight loss. It actually fell off when I got out of the car. I need a new one by Sunday but I don't have money or want to go shopping. Maybe I'll just eat a lot this week.

Eat low calorie, high in salt things for temporary bloating. Coca Cola and vegetarian chili.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I saw the pants fall off a homeless man today. He picked them up and put them back on. Fortunately he was wearing boxers. 

I was wearing something slightly more scandalous, or at least feminine, but I caught the skirt. The poor man. It must happen all of the time.

• Like 2

I think that I shall never eat

A pickled radish, nor a beet,

Nor pickled egg, nor melon rind--

I like the baby cukes just fine.

-Whitehawk, some time ago

Must do all the things! And this week I get to go back to drinking coffee! ❤️

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

-WH

And the 2018 Unicorn Award goes to.... Mr. Lynn!

O look, Tsuga has made a list of all the things whitehawk does not eat! Except carrots don't belong on there and mayo is iffy. You forgot green bell peppers. #picky

Yay for Whitehawk poetry!

Yay for picky eaters!

Yay for getting back to coffee!!!    

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

-WH

O look, Tsuga has made a list of all the things whitehawk does not eat! Except carrots don't belong on there and mayo is iffy. You forgot green bell peppers. #picky

But you must eat hot dogs right? At least some version of protein-in-a-cylindrical-ish-casing?

• Like 1

We are on a roll with the awesome poetry!  

Poetry Booyah!

I came across this gem whilst adding the latest poetry to the Archives.

Beach camp prep can take so long
Doo da, doo da,

Impatient kids are singing songs
All the doo da day.

No, you can't wear that!

Where'd the sunscreen go?

I really want you to wear better shoes
so you don't stub your toe!  (AMJ)

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

But you must eat hot dogs right? At least some version of protein-in-a-cylindrical-ish-casing?

Truly, no. Didn't like them even as a kid. Will eat a bun and like yellow mustard just fine. But even fake hot dogs, I just don't like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

-WH

Awesome poetry!!

and yay for COFFEE~D What were you thinking, going off of COFFEE!!~D ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

Truly, no. Didn't like them even as a kid. Will eat a bun and like yellow mustard just fine. But even fake hot dogs, I just don't like.

Fair enough, at least you're consistent.

• Like 1

Good morning!

I had a hard time falling asleep last night.  I have been eating too much junk.  Today will be better.

I'm taking ds13 for a cello lesson at the university, which will take up the whole morning.  He is super excited about it.  Dd9 is sitting with me chatting incessently about her plan to go to the the bowling alley arcade for her birthday.  Which is in 6 months.  :laugh:  I have several little tasks that need to be accomplished.

Coffee!

• Like 5