Menu

Ignore this thread!

No one has posted here since 11:11 a.m. People are not taking this thread seriously. :hat: :hat:

I have been cooking, doing laundry, parenting the naughty children, talking on the phone to my odd father (over an hour), and working on my co-op English class, which is a larger project than I had even imagined it would be (and I have quite an imagination).  I hope others have as valid excuses as I have.

• Like 2

(((Slache)))

Grocery store and library. I just finished cooking 3 gallons of chili. It is cooling now, and then I will divide it into dinner portions and freeze. Copy Sunday School papers. Clean up mess on coffee table. Lesson plans for classes. Clean something else.

Copy and paste onto Jean's Tackle thread.

• Like 4

You know how yesterday I said that I had pink eye?  The consensus now is that I somehow hit and scratched myself during the night.  I have a small but distinct shiner.  

#evertheklutz

#evenwhensleeping

Now I'm glad I didn't suggest breast milk.  Probably wouldn't have helped. LOL

• Like 6

Second coat of white paint on the stair risers is complete!  For some reason, the paint brush felt very, very heavy and my hand was going numb. Must be some kind of freaky "painter's fatigue."  Tomorrow, I'll apply 2 coats of the dark brown paint on the steps. I LOVE the name of the shade - "Chocolate Therapy." Hopefully I'll dream of chocolate and good things when going up and down the stairs. ;)

• Like 5

I was at camp all day! The camp my kids (and I) go to in the summer was having their Fall Festival fund raiser. It was nice. The weather was beautiful, I got an apron at the silent auction and I saw a bag of peanuts go for $4200 at the regular auction. A good time was had by all.

• Like 4

I was at camp all day! The camp my kids (and I) go to in the summer was having their Fall Festival fund raiser. It was nice. The weather was beautiful, I got an apron at the silent auction and I saw a bag of peanuts go for $4200 at the regular auction. A good time was had by all.

That must have been a very BIG bag of peanuts.

• Like 1

That must have been a very BIG bag of peanuts.

Well, it was big, but not that big. Last year we saw a peach picker go for $1500. People want to donate $ and enjoy getting into a bidding war with other people who want to donate $.

They were also bidding on scholarships for kids who couldn't afford to go to camp. The winning bid was $3200. Then the other guy who lost the bid donated that much $, too. They other people just held up their numbers for varying amounts of money to donate to the scholarship fund. People were applauding like crazy and the auctioneer (who has ties to the camp as well) got all choked up and the guys who were helping were wiping their eyes. It was very touching. With so much bad in the world it was really neat to see people giving their $ to a good cause.

• Like 5

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:  Slache. 

Well, we're home after a ten, no, eleven hour drive.  It might have been longer than necessary because of a longer than necessary lunch at cracker barrel.  I miss the beach already.  I have a long to-do list for tomorrow to get us ready to head back into a regular week.  Wah!  Monday is our CC day.  I SO do not want to leave the house that soon!

I did read two Jane Austen books while we were gone:  Northanger Abbey and Persuasion.  I particularly enjoyed this quote from Northanger Abbey:  "You think me foolish to call instruction a torment, but if you had been as much used as myself to hear poor little children first learning their letters and then learning to spell, if you had ever seen how stupid they can be for a whole morning together, and how tired my poor mother is at the end of it, as I am in the habit of seeing almost every day of my life at home, you would allow that to torment and to instruct might sometimes be used as synonymous words."

• Like 8

Still working on the Prezi...as I am watching The Bible series on Netflix. 

Another Lynn, interestingly, I am currently working on a section about letters and sounds recognition...then I read about how much a torment it is to listen to kids first learning their letters. Maybe I could fit that quote in there somewhere. Nah. (though tempting)

• Like 5

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Slache.

Well, we're home after a ten, no, eleven hour drive. It might have been longer than necessary because of a longer than necessary lunch at cracker barrel. I miss the beach already. I have a long to-do list for tomorrow to get us ready to head back into a regular week. Wah! Monday is our CC day. I SO do not want to leave the house that soon!

I did read two Jane Austen books while we were gone: Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. I particularly enjoyed this quote from Northanger Abbey: "You think me foolish to call instruction a torment, but if you had been as much used as myself to hear poor little children first learning their letters and then learning to spell, if you had ever seen how stupid they can be for a whole morning together, and how tired my poor mother is at the end of it, as I am in the habit of seeing almost every day of my life at home, you would allow that to torment and to instruct might sometimes be used as synonymous words."

So, it's not just me? That is a relief.

I love Cracker Barrel. Their bacon is fabulous.

• Like 2

Whatayaknow?  There are retreats for tired mothers out there!  (I actually googled.)  Can't afford them though and I would come back to more work than when I left.  

Yup.  That's exactly why I don't want to go on our church's women's retreat this fall.  

Now, send my dh and dc to my church's women's retreat this fall???  THAT would be heavenly.  Rest with no regrets.  

• Like 4

:ohmy:  Those must've been sooooooome nuts.  

• Like 2

I did read two Jane Austen books while we were gone:  Northanger Abbey and Persuasion.  I particularly enjoyed this quote from Northanger Abbey:  "You think me foolish to call instruction a torment, but if you had been as much used as myself to hear poor little children first learning their letters and then learning to spell, if you had ever seen how stupid they can be for a whole morning together, and how tired my poor mother is at the end of it, as I am in the habit of seeing almost every day of my life at home, you would allow that to torment and to instruct might sometimes be used as synonymous words."

I want that on my wall in vinyl letters.  

• Like 1

Slache, glad you are feeling better!

Renai, YAY!

GOOD MORNING ITT'ers (Robin William's style!  May he rest in peace)

Jean, hope your car is unscathed, and your power is on.

Susan, the best part of the Cracker Barrel stop was a to-go cup of decaf which lasted me the next hour of the trip.  I liked the biscuits and gravy too. 

• Like 6

Good Morning!

Slache - Glad you`re feeling better.

Jean - Hope your car is alright.

Lynn - Which beach did you visit? We almost always stop at Cracker Barrel on our family road trip down to in beach in NJ. I`m a real sucker for their gift store. Last year dd bought a life-size statue of two dogs.

• Like 2

I am staying home from church this morning with dd9 who has been running a low fever for a couple of days. The fever is gone, but she is still congested and coughing. So far I have managed to clean the dishwasher, do two sinkloads of dishes and two loads of laundry, and reorganize the deep freeze. I feel quite rested now.

• Like 2

We went to Oak Island, NC.

Wow, life size statue of two dogs!  That's impressive. 

Lynn, if you don't mind, could you tell me more about the beach vacation.  We are planning to take a big (for us) vacation next summer, and they would like to see the ocean (east coast). I have been before, but dh and the children have never been.

I am thinking of a 7-8 day trip, and being able to reach our destination in one day is important, so Virginia and North Carolina is feasible.

Did you rent your beach house or is it a time share type thing? I know nothing about this so I hope this is not a silly question. A beach house or something like that would be ideal for us because with a family of 6 we usually have to get 2 rooms in a hotel or a suite. It would be good too if I could cook some meals rather than restaurants the whole time.

Anyone else have ideas? We are planning for June or July. We haven't had a real vacation since the twins were 2, and we went to St. Louis. We love St. Louis, but I have been there about 5 times. 

Thanks for any help.:)

:grouphug: Slache, I have been thinking of you.

• Like 2

I am staying home from church this morning with dd9 who has been running a low fever for a couple of days. The fever is gone, but she is still congested and coughing. So far I have managed to clean the dishwasher, do two sinkloads of dishes and two loads of laundry, and reorganize the deep freeze. I feel quite rested now.

:grouphug:  for your dd. I'm glad the fever is gone.

I stayed home from church today as well, but I have got nothing done.  I do this about once every three months or so.  It is the only peace and quiet I get. :D

ETA: BOOYA! :party:

My first one since.........well, we were still in the double digits.

• Like 7

Lynn, if you don't mind, could you tell me more about the beach vacation.  We are planning to take a big (for us) vacation next summer, and they would like to see the ocean (east coast). I have been before, but dh and the children have never been.

I am thinking of a 7-8 day trip, and being able to reach our destination in one day is important, so Virginia and North Carolina is feasible.

Did you rent your beach house or is it a time share type thing? I know nothing about this so I hope this is not a silly question. A beach house or something like that would be ideal for us because with a family of 6 we usually have to get 2 rooms in a hotel or a suite. It would be good too if I could cook some meals rather than restaurants the whole time.

Anyone else have ideas? We are planning for June or July. We haven't had a real vacation since the twins were 2, and we went to St. Louis. We love St. Louis, but I have been there about 5 times. 

Thanks for any help. :)

:grouphug: Slache, I have been thinking of you.

Dawn,

Yes we rented a house for a week - Saturday to Saturday.  We went when we did because it was no longer "peak" in terms of pricing.  This is the 3rd or 4th year we have gone.  We usually rent from Margaret Rudd Realtors.  Last year we were late making our plans and went with a different rental company and the house was a dump, and the rental company was less than speedy to address issues with the house.  The only thing that's pretty common across all the houses I've seen is that the bathrooms would not be called luxurious.  And I noticed if you look at pictures of the inside of the houses on the rental company website, they never show pictures of the bathrooms, lol.  But you can find houses with anywhere from 3 bedrooms on up (even 6 or 7 or more if you're going with extended family), and they do have full kitchens which helps with food costs.  They have front row houses (walk out on the beach!) and second row (cross the street and find public access), etc.  Oak Island is not commercialized much at all - it's mostly just the beach.  DH did drive a bit to take kids to an aquarium and to see the USS North Carolina.  By the way, Oak Island is one of the places that saw the most shark attacks this summer, fyi.     

So, yes, google Margaret Rudd Oak Island and see what you think.  Prices will be higher in June and July of course.  If you still want to be close to summer, but take advantage of lower rates look at the end of May or anything after mid-August.

I need to give my computer to ds to type an assignment due tomorrow, but I'll be back later if there's anything I can answer for you. 

• Like 3