Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good Rainy Thursday!

We have been promised 6 solid days of sunshine after today.

I am worried about Ruby.  Her one little leaf is looking peaked.  Barb went through this stage though, so I am hoping she recovers.  We forgot to mow the lawn yesterday so it will have to wait until tomorrow or Saturday.  It's a jungle out there!

Coffee!

I’m sure she’ll be fine. Maybe if you read to her.....:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Dd13 began reading The Fellowship of the Ring yesterday.  She was reluctant to read it because she said she didn't like The Hobbit.  She seems to like the Lord of the Rings better.  She's more than halfway through the first book and I'm guessing she'll be finished the series before Sunday.

I never got through the Hobbit. Boooorrrrinnnnng. I wonder if I would like LotR better. I thought it was all one series.

35 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

I never got through the Hobbit. Boooorrrrinnnnng. I wonder if I would like LotR better. I thought it was all one series.

The Hobbit is a prequel to The Lord of the Rings.  I like the last three books much better.  It has a bit of a different feel to it, imo.  Dd13 apparently feels the difference, too.

1 hour ago, Tsuga said:

I think LotR is like 3 books. I enjoyed The Hobbit, actually. I made it through the first LotR book, almost died of boredom and was finished with that. My impression was that Tolkien was really really “in” to his worlds. Chapters dedicated to the history and language of each of the little towns the Merry Little Band traveled through. I couldn’t take it anymore. 

24 minutes ago, Slache said:

John remembers last night, but he's okay. He's a good kid.

Girlfriend comes over today!

87.4 pounds to go.

I'm so tired I might die.

No dying, per ITT Rules and Regulations. (Insert foot tapping person). I thought this was covered in Orientation.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hey. I am sick. 

I think sickness is covered as a corollary to the No Dying Clause, since sickness can lead to dying. Whitehawk, oh Whitehawk? I think you’re going to have to schedule a session on The Island to review the ITT Handbook with some of these people.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I think LotR is like 3 books. I enjoyed The Hobbit, actually. I made it through the first LotR book, almost died of boredom and was finished with that. My impression was that Tolkien was really really “in” to his worlds. Chapters dedicated to the history and language of each of the little towns the Merry Little Band traveled through. I couldn’t take it anymore. 

We can't be friends anymore.:angry::biggrin: No, actually, you are correct. He was really in to his worlds, and you have to like that style to enjoy it. Could have done with some serious editing of the first half of the book. And I happen to wallow in the appendixes, and wanted more about certain sub-cultures that he didn't have time to go in depth with.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

We can't be friends anymore.:angry::biggrin: No, actually, you are correct. He was really in to his worlds, and you have to like that style to enjoy it. Could have done with some serious editing of the first half of the book. And I happen to wallow in the appendixes, and wanted more about certain sub-cultures that he didn't have time to go in depth with.

You see, Critter, I was totally thinking of you when I wrote that post. And not in a bad way. Actually, I think it is totally cool that he (and you) are in to that. Just don’t make me be in to that. I would have loved an abridged, plot only version of LotR. Sometimes I wonder if Tolkien was laughing away saying, “hahaha! If you want my plot, you have to take the rest of it, too!!” Or if he was innocently thinking, “what? You mean you don’t care about the history and culture of every single town?? How can you not?”:biggrin:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I went to early vote and then to Aldi.  Blackberries are on sale, but eggs were $1.99/dozen!  I've never seen the price so high at Aldi.  They had all their gardening stuff out but I resisted.  Onward!

Egg prices have been going up in the last few months---bird flu in Asia took out a lot of their laying stock, so more eggs are being exported. Also, demand is up with so many more people eating lower carb diets.  Supposedly suppliers are increasing their laying stock, so there will be an evening in prices, but that hasn't happened yet.  I buy eggs 10 dozen at a time---it's still one of the cheaper proteins out there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I went to early vote and then to Aldi.  Blackberries are on sale, but eggs were $1.99/dozen!  I've never seen the price so high at Aldi.  They had all their gardening stuff out but I resisted.  Onward!

Why are you voting?

Just finished chapter one of The Power of Habit. I haven't finished Surprised by Joy yet.

Girlfriend brought strawberries and cashews. 

TMI. It's my first menstrual cycle since purchasing period panties (4 for $25) and they're fabulous. I recommend them to all of your poor daughters. 

• Like 2

The ceremony is over. My dress arrived in time but I forgot I needed something I could nurse in so I found a 10yr old dress in my closet I had forgotten about. It was fine.

As usual, Baby refused the bottle I brought so it was good I went with a dress in which he could get to me. Silly Baby wastes so much milk.

It feels weird being retired. And freeing. And poor if DH doesn’t nail down his next move.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Paige said:

The ceremony is over. My dress arrived in time but I forgot I needed something I could nurse in so I found a 10yr old dress in my closet I had forgotten about. It was fine.

As usual, Baby refused the bottle I brought so it was good I went with a dress in which he could get to me. Silly Baby wastes so much milk.

It feels weird being retired. And freeing. And poor if DH doesn’t nail down his next move.

Congratulations to your dh!!

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hey. I am sick. 

I'm sorry. I :sad:.

I'm not in the greatest mood tonight. I ought to go to bed, watch something funny, or have something full of chocolate and pecans. Probably won't do any of that. Got to climb back on the horse and keep trying...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

You see, Critter, I was totally thinking of you when I wrote that post. And not in a bad way. Actually, I think it is totally cool that he (and you) are in to that. Just don’t make me be in to that. I would have loved an abridged, plot only version of LotR. Sometimes I wonder if Tolkien was laughing away saying, “hahaha! If you want my plot, you have to take the rest of it, too!!” Or if he was innocently thinking, “what? You mean you don’t care about the history and culture of every single town?? How can you not?”:biggrin:

Option two.

• Like 1

121+ new replies!  Too much to catch up on tonight.  (((All of you))) because y'all deserve them.

Long day today.  I'm off to bed.  I hope everyone had a good day and will have good sleep tonight.  G'night!

• Like 5

I used to be one of the youngest here wiff my wittle 2 year old who wanted to learn to read and I didn't know what to do. I was (and still am) an advocate for late starts and gentle primary years and was at a total loss so I joined the hive and everyone yelled at me for pushing academics too young. It was fun. I didn't come back for a while. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 4/25/2018 at 10:59 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

My washing machine is ailing. I'm waiting for a service person to call me back. I suspect that the shock absorbers have simply worn out. Last night I was calculating that I've probably done about 6200 loads of laundry in that machine. 

((Prairie's machine))  Get well soon!

On 4/25/2018 at 11:40 AM, Susan in TN said:

I am back from my errands.  The kids did a really good job cleaning the laundry/bunny area.  They probably did not empty the trash - I'll have to check on that.

I just finished making a spice infusion for homemade root beer and realized that I used winter savory instead of wintergreen.  :eyeroll:  Maybe no one will notice - I'm still trying to get the recipe adjusted to my liking.  Maybe it needs some savory?  

Imma go make myself some lunch that involves mushrooms.

More. Coffee. Stat.

Blast from the Past Booyah!

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me.)
KrissiK Documentation of the ITT Flag 5/1/2017

This is exactly the sort of Booya/h I needed to read just now.  Thank you!

• Like 4