What's with the ads?

#138551 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69137 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

Our first color TV was a small portable one Mom picked up after separating from Dad, around 1980.  Prior to that we always had black & white, and on the farm we only got the most local channel (yes, one channel), and that with a lot of snow.  I still had memorized the entire TV Guide (not that hard in the days before cable was everywhere), and could tell time within 5 minutes just from watching about 3 seconds of TV and knowing the channel.

Scary, the talents kids can form at times.

Correcting myself after talking to one of my older brothers about this.  We got our black and white in order to watch the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.  We watched the moon landing but already had it for a few years by that time.  We can't remember when we got a color one - sometime in the 70's. 

And it's a walk- down-memory-lane booyah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle, 14 February 2018 - 05:06 PM.

• Another Lynn, myblessings4, maize and 2 others like this

#138552 Susan in TN

Susan in TN

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15359 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

Argh!

#138553 Critterfixer

Critterfixer

Mr. Mom-Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14258 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

The sugar cookies are yummy. DH brought me chocolate and peanut butter candy for Valentine's Day. He knows me too well.

• KrissiK, myblessings4 and AMJ like this

#138554 Susan in TN

Susan in TN

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15359 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

I don't think everyone is wired for mental math. I could be *completely* wrong, but that's what I think.

Is that as far as you've gotten? What do you think? I'm buying an IEW theme book for John but W & R always looked so purty.

Mental Math - I think you may be right. There are some "tricks" probably everyone can learn to some extent if practiced enough (figuring out 10% off a $35 item).

W&R is working well for us. All 4 kids are using it, so it is really easy for dd15 who is a prolific creative writer (but she manages to come up with some very interesting twists to the writing assignment and enjoys experimenting with words) and it's fairly challenging for dd9, who does not like to write and especially not creatively, so I reduce the amount she has to do and we often "work together", with me doing the physical writing while she tells me what to write.

I also like the gradual bits of grammar and literary ideas that are incorporated into the lessons. They do R&S English, but can always use more applications.

It is fairly repetitious, but so far my kids have not gotten bored with it.

P.S. I do think I love Wally, the botvac. I still want to try the mopping thing.

Edited by Susan in TN, 14 February 2018 - 05:21 PM.

• Another Lynn, AMJ, Lotsoflittleducklings and 1 other like this

#138555 Spudater

Spudater

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

I don't think everyone is wired for mental math. I could be *completely* wrong, but that's what I think.

Is that as far as you've gotten? What do you think? I'm buying an IEW theme book for John but W & R always looked so purty.

Not Susan, but I really like books 1-3. Meh about 4-5.
  • Slache likes this

#138556 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7514 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

I did my first-day-of-Lent exercising! I decided to DO something, rather than give up something. I've already given up most food treat items, and don't really shop or do anything else. I rarely watch tv.

Edited by myblessings4, 14 February 2018 - 05:45 PM.

• Jean in Newcastle, Another Lynn, KrissiK and 4 others like this

#138557 Susan in TN

Susan in TN

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15359 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

We got the pastries done for dd15's Spanish class tomorrow (Hojaldres de Astorga) and it's time to put dinner together. Tacos de Carnitas. We made extra pastries to top with whipped cream and raspberries for Valentine's Day dessert tonight. Then it's off to children's choir/youth group/adult choir. The county south of us has closed schools for the second time this year due to illness and I am feeling the need to hibernate the family.
  • Jean in Newcastle, Another Lynn and Spudater like this

#138558 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7514 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

I am SO out of the habit of exercising! My fitbit is supposed to be here tomorrow! Squee!
  • Jean in Newcastle and Another Lynn like this

#138559 luuknam

luuknam

From The Neverlands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8072 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

I ordered some things a few daysago when I got the LLPSI stuff. Conceptual Physical math so I can lesson plan, Thinking Toolbox bc we’re almost done with Fallacy Detective, Usbourne Science Encyclopedia, and LAoW (that last one I guess a few weeks ago.)

Eta, science, not math. I guess you can tell from all the typos how distracted I was while posting. 🙄

Darn, I was thinking math sounded interesting. 

My parents got a new TV around the same time I was born (not entirely sure if it was just before or just after, but definitely within one year either way). They replaced it when I was 30yo or so. My mom's parents got their first TV when my mom was almost 12 I think, so, circa 1965? Before that they'd go watch TV at the neighbor's. There wasn't much TV to be had on the island back then anyway (like, probably one channel (part time?) like one of y'all mentioned). We got our first TV when DW got a job as a satellite TV installer (if we were going to get satellite TV at a super cheap rate as a perk of the job, might as well own a TV - especially since right around that time the cost of flat screens was really coming down). So, that was right around the time Broccoli was born. We still have it, and while DW occasionally says maybe we should get a bigger, better one, I've been vetoing that - a) I grew up with a much smaller TV, so I'm not really seeing the need for something bigger, and b) I want the kids to be older before replacing this one, since they occasionally still touch the screen or hit it with things or w/e (one time they even knocked it off the stand onto the floor... where it continued playing, lol. But yeah, there are a couple of scratches on the screen (more visible when it's off than when it's on), and I don't want to replace it before I feel confident more scratches are unlikely to occur. Plus, it still works, and TVs can last 30 years (maybe not this TV... I don't know, but it's been only 7). I don't know when my dad's parents got their first TV. I know DW's parents have like 7 TVs, about one per room, including the kitchen. They used to even have one in the bathroom.  :001_rolleyes:

• Spudater likes this

#138560 KrissiK

KrissiK

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15293 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

To the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It," a reminder song:

If you didn't do the thing, then do the thing.
If you didn't do the thing, then do the thing.
If you didn't do the thing, friend, you've got to do the thing:
If you didn't do the thing, then do the thing!

This needs to go into the ITT Hymnal!!
  • whitehawk likes this

#138561 lanalouwho

lanalouwho

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2025 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:21 PM

I did my first-day-of-Lent exercising! I decided to DO something, rather than give up something. I've already given up most food treat items, and don't really shop or do anything else. I rarely watch tv.

For the past several years, I've done a declutter/purge during Lent. 40 bags in 40 days. I don't think I have enough clutter left this year, but I'm going to try.
  • Another Lynn, Renai, AMJ and 4 others like this

#138562 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7514 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

For the past several years, I've done a declutter/purge during Lent. 40 bags in 40 days. I don't think I have enough clutter left this year, but I'm going to try.

I could stand to kon mari again. I couls probably get 40 bags of just books.
  • Lotsoflittleducklings likes this

#138563 KrissiK

KrissiK

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15293 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

My lunch was a nut butter packet before we left for art. And then a second nut butter packet on the way home from art. Now I'm having the (reheated) cup of tea I brewed at breakfast time this morning.

((AMJ)) you really deserve an artsy salad and a bowl of tasty soup. And a fresh cup of tea. And a sweet light little dessert... lemony and fresh. Yes, that should be your lunch.
  • Another Lynn and Critterfixer like this

#138564 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7514 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

I don't remember a time without tv, but until I was in 10th grade, we had only 3 channels. Nbc, cbd, and abc. No pbs. Cable came to town in 10th grade. I don't remember what channels it got us besides tbs, hbo, and mtv. Can you tell what I watched?

#138565 ikslo

ikslo

Ninja Elephant Minion with Nunchucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8208 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

The other stuff was shut off as punishment for prioritizing screen entertainment over school, chores, and being civil to her immediate family. Meming through texting was working her way around the punishment instead of earning her way out of it.

Okay, that makes perfect sense. Sneaky. :(

#138566 whitehawk

whitehawk

Making it go!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

I don't remember life before cable (and turning the dial on the box on top of the set). When I was growing up, the TV was on ~16 hours a day. By the time I left home, I was over it. Love my internet, though!

I've read that a hundred million US households have TVs, but I wonder how many are like ours, only used for DVDs or streaming services.

#138567 prairiewindmomma

prairiewindmomma

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10764 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

The only broadcast channel we watch is PBS. The rest of the time, we stream content or use it for playing Wii.

• Renai likes this

#138568 Slache

Slache

Repaired With Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23629 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

We didn't have a TV until I was 12 but it quickly became an addiction. We have a computer in the living room but I would much rather have a screen free home. John has my screen addict tendencies.

#138569 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19909 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

My family never had tv--my mom hated it.

We did get a Macintosh computer in 1984--the year they came out. My dad was working for a university at the time and got some kind of discount. He was convinced that computers were going to be important in the future and wanted his kids to be comfortable with them.
  • Renai, Lotsoflittleducklings and whitehawk like this

#138570 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69137 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

I learned a lot of my Japanese by watching tv.  It made talking to me interesting in my elementary years since I watched period Samurai dramas (with the Japanese equivalent of King James English), Cartoons and Crime Dramas (with gansta talk thrown in for authenticity).  I mixed all forms of dialects into one sentence.  ;) 

We watch no tv during the day but I have it on all evening while I sit in my Armchair of All Comfort.  I'm the main one who is watching while also ITTing and playing games on my phone. 

• Another Lynn, Renai, maize and 3 others like this

#138571 KrissiK

KrissiK

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15293 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

The other stuff was shut off as punishment for prioritizing screen entertainment over school, chores, and being civil to her immediate family. Meming through texting was working her way around the punishment instead of earning her way out of it.

Okay, that makes perfect sense. Sneaky. :(

You want to hear something funny?? I won’t mention any names, but when I was a freshman at a Christian college in San Diego (back in the late 1980’s) the daughter of an extremely well known Evangelical Christian child/family psychologist, author, etc. went to the same college I did. She was a hellion. I didn’t Know her personally, but my friends did. One weekend she was banned from using her car because she did something and her father told her she couldn’t use her car. So, she traded cars with her roommate for the weekend. Technically SHE wasn’t using HER car.

Edited by KrissiK, 14 February 2018 - 07:57 PM.

• Jean in Newcastle, Another Lynn, AMJ and 1 other like this

#138572 Slache

Slache

Repaired With Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23629 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

DOUBLE RAINBOW!
  • Jean in Newcastle, AMJ, ikslo and 1 other like this

#138573 Slache

Slache

Repaired With Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23629 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Matt's explaining to John that we can't go to the end of the rainbow because the leprechauns have purchased fully automatic weapons from the Irish Republican Army so it's not safe.
  • Renai, KrissiK, Critterfixer and 3 others like this

#138574 Renai

Renai

Icon Queen and Head Ninja Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12741 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:26 PM

How big are the bags?

#138575 Renai

Renai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12741 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

The only broadcast channel we watch is PBS. The rest of the time, we stream content or use it for playing Wii.

We sometimes watch PBS (a couple of shows). We watch some Smile of a Child (Christian children's station). Josue y la Tierra Prometida (Joshua and the Promised Land) series is on Unimas. Oh, and El Chavo. Then El Rico y Lazaro series is on Univision (set in the time of Daniel and Jeremiah, but their stories are only part of a whole bunch of other plots). The rest of the time is streaming, and that's when dh is home, mostly. 

• Another Lynn likes this

#138576 Renai

Renai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12741 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

I don't remember a time without tv, but until I was in 10th grade, we had only 3 channels. Nbc, cbd, and abc. No pbs. Cable came to town in 10th grade. I don't remember what channels it got us besides tbs, hbo, and mtv. Can you tell what I watched?

I remember when the channels signed off at night and signed on in the morning. I remember the one sign on song of NBC(?) was a chicken singing.

• Another Lynn, myblessings4 and Lotsoflittleducklings like this

#138577 Renai

Renai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12741 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

My family never had tv--my mom hated it.

We did get a Macintosh computer in 1984--the year they came out. My dad was working for a university at the time and got some kind of discount. He was convinced that computers were going to be important in the future and wanted his kids to be comfortable with them.

Our first computer was a Tandy. I don't remember the year, but it was after 1984 because we were in Germany from 1985-1988 and we didn't have a computer then.

• Another Lynn, myblessings4 and maize like this

#138578 Susan in TN

Susan in TN

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15359 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

We had a TV but it was only on to watch specific shows.

We cancelled our TV service last month. If we want to watch something, it's Netflix or Amazon Prime or YouTube.

Children's choir was a horror. The choir director didn't show up, so one other mom and I led choir which was pretty bad because I have about a 5-note singing range and had never seen most of the music before. Also, there was no keyboard or anything to help us. The other mom is a great singer and helped enormously, but that meant there was no one to sit with/manage the ADHD boy who was at times literally bouncing off the walls and talking or singing continuously. His mom leads the pre-school choir, so we had no where to go with him. Also since there were only two adults there, neither of us could leave the room (2-deep leadership) to bring him to her or get help. And of course with that boy going nuts it made 3/4 of the choir also go nuts, even the older kids who should have known better. I was tempted to line them up and march them into the vespers service. The most productive time came at the end when I made them sit on the floor and play musical trivia hangman. The word to guess? Ash Wednesday - May the Lord bless our humble and inadequate efforts. :D
  • Jean in Newcastle, Another Lynn, Renai and 7 others like this

#138579 lanalouwho

lanalouwho

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2025 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

How big are the bags?

Previously, large trash bag sized. But this year, I'm using grocery bags instead.
  • Renai likes this

#138580 Susan in TN

Susan in TN

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15359 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

Why would a candy maker think we want coconut in our dark chocolate caramel? It's just wrong.
  • Another Lynn, JoJosMom and Lotsoflittleducklings like this

#138581 Critterfixer

Critterfixer

Mr. Mom-Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14258 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

There's something wrong with me. There's chocolate available and I don't want to eat it. Maybe tomorrow?

#138582 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7514 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

I remember when the channels signed off at night and signed on in the morning. I remember the one sign on song of NBC(?) was a chicken singing.

Oh yeah! I forgot about signing off. Don't remember the song, though!
  • Renai likes this

#138583 Another Lynn

Another Lynn

From the land of Lynn's Learning Lockdown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10724 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

I remember the NBC song as three notes, the first two were a sixth apart.  That's how we learned to recognize a 6th in aural theory class.  

• Renai, JoJosMom, AMJ and 1 other like this

#138584 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7514 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

Our first computer was a Tandy. I don't remember the year, but it was after 1984 because we were in Germany from 1985-1988 and we didn't have a computer then.

So was ours. Probably '85ish.
  • Renai likes this

#138585 Another Lynn

Another Lynn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10724 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:14 PM

There's something wrong with me. There's chocolate available and I don't want to eat it. Maybe tomorrow?

Take your temperature!

Drink more water!

Hydrogen Peroxide your ears!

Take Vitamin C!

• Critterfixer, myblessings4, JoJosMom and 2 others like this

#138586 Another Lynn

Another Lynn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10724 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:17 PM

My family didn't get a computer.  My Mom has one now, but I don't remember when she got her first.  Dh and I got one.....  I don't know when....I think after 1994, maybe closer to 1998?

• maize likes this

#138587 Another Lynn

Another Lynn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10724 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

I remember the NBC song as three notes, the first two were a sixth apart.  That's how we learned to recognize a 6th in aural theory class.  

Help, Susan, how do kids learn a 6th if they don't know the NBC tones?

#138588 Renai

Renai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12741 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

Oh yeah! I forgot about signing off. Don't remember the song, though!

I remember it was a swing song. It's pretty popular, but I can't remember the name right offhand.

#138589 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7514 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:27 PM

My family didn't get a computer. My Mom has one now, but I don't remember when she got her first. Dh and I got one..... I don't know when....I think after 1994, maybe closer to 1998?

Well, when we had our first one, dh and I were married and had a child. 😳
  • Another Lynn likes this

#138590 Renai

Renai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12741 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:28 PM

It was this song: 

• myblessings4 and JoJosMom like this

#138591 Critterfixer

Critterfixer

Mr. Mom-Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14258 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

Matt's explaining to John that we can't go to the end of the rainbow because the leprechauns have purchased fully automatic weapons from the Irish Republican Army so it's not safe.

There is now a document in my ideas folder because there is a story there and I'm bound and determined to find it. :laugh:

• Another Lynn, Renai, AMJ and 2 others like this

#138592 Slache

Slache

Repaired With Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23629 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

I was in swing club for 2 years. I'm pretty great at it.

There is now a document in my ideas folder because there is a story there and I'm bound and determined to find it. :laugh:

:party:
  • Critterfixer likes this

#138593 Critterfixer

Critterfixer

Mr. Mom-Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14258 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:42 PM

<DH> "I think they call it skeleton because if you don't do everything right, you wind up as a heap of bones."

Broken bones.

Edited by Critterfixer, 14 February 2018 - 09:42 PM.

• Junie likes this

#138594 AMJ

AMJ

Magnificent Matriarch & Elephant ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16344 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:46 PM

I need to get TT grade 6 math, a couple of Vocabulary from Classical Rootses, Spelling Apples 2, the next couple levels of Writing and Rhetoric, and I think a couple of Reading and Reasoning levels. I think that's it. I might have dd9 do Singapore one more year (4th grade) and then move her into TT for 5th, so I'd need those workbooks. That's a lot of workbooks. I didn't used to use so many.

I"m not finding it here in the house, so I think it is in my small storage unit.  I'll check there tomorrow.

#138595 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69137 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

Day 31 done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Another Lynn, Renai, myblessings4 and 5 others like this

#138596 AMJ

AMJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16344 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

I have texted DH the basic request, to remind us both to have him explain it to me so I can explain it to you.

Looks like he used an app -- I'll get more details later.

Maize, DH installed an app called AppLock on DD's phone.  The app can be used to lock down specific things, and to temporarily unlock (for one-time use) or remove the lock on specific things.  DH says to be sure to lock the play store, and don't let anyone watch you unlock anything by password, pattern, whatever you set.  He also says wipe your fingerprints off the screen before handing it back.

DD has, for the most part, earned her way into having full access again, but the app is there ready and waiting should we decide it is needed again.

• Renai and maize like this

#138597 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69137 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:53 PM

31 days and I am still fat.

#138598 AMJ

AMJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16344 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

((AMJ)) you really deserve an artsy salad and a bowl of tasty soup. And a fresh cup of tea. And a sweet light little dessert... lemony and fresh. Yes, that should be your lunch.

For supper we stopped by a new Indian restaurant on the way home from music and brought home takeout.  It was yummy!

#138599 AMJ

AMJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16344 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

DH says the proximity sensors also switch on when you get too close and turn on the rainbow's cloaking device.

• Renai, Slache, ikslo and 1 other like this

#138600 Another Lynn

Another Lynn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10724 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

31 days and I am still fat.

Me too.

Oh, wait, I didn't walk....