Menu

Ignore this thread!

There are many very wet birds in the trees outside. I think they have given up trying to be dry birds and have decided that the sun won't shine ever again. I woke a bird up with the porch light this morning. He was so happy to see light that he started to sing. I hated to cut short his serenade by turning the light off when I left for work.

• Like 3

I’m scared to swim today, but you all have me wondering what fresh cr@p people are spewing. Instead, I’m reading one of Krissi’s recommendations, I believe it was: The Devil in the White City.

Oh, and I went to Ulta. And I got my ring cleaned and whatnot. And I’m doing laundry, including the pj pants for DS to replace the ones he’s been wearing daily all winter as pants and now have a hole in them. And eating chips.

#winterisbutt

• Like 8

Hello, ITT. :seeya:

Some people have forgotten the warnings about swimming in the sea. But I am busy kicking Saturday's butt.

#Isaidbutt

#cleanallthethings

I read that as “licking Saturday’s butt†and became very concerned.

#inappropriate

#youcan’ttakemeanywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

We had a low-water crossing that sometimes became impassible during flooding. Not great to have in your driveway. I felt that a bridge would be better, but the cost of forms would have been too much. So we put in four sticks of good concrete pipe. Double the flow we had, but I guess when there's quadruple the water coming through double doesn't help much.

• Like 1

I’m scared to swim today, but you all have me wondering what fresh cr@p people are spewing. Instead, I’m reading one of Krissi’s recommendations, I believe it was: The Devil in the White City.

Oh, and I went to Ulta. And I got my ring cleaned and whatnot. And I’m doing laundry, including the pj pants for DS to replace the ones he’s been wearing daily all winter as pants and now have a hole in them. And eating chips.

#winterisbutt

How do you like the book?? It’s a little creepy!!

And this is a creepy 19th Century Chicago Serial Killer Booya/h!!

Either that or a ... I gotta go to to the Afsa Booya/h.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

ButtPo:

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist)

We now have 4 painted lady butterflies in our little habitat. We got 5 catterpillars🛠And they all went into the crysalis stage, but only 4 lived. One came out as a crumpled up butterfly blob.

That’s nature for you, blobbing stuff up. Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2

I shouldn’t have taken out the boat today. My thoughts got swamped.

So of the two comments concerning working full time, one poster insinuating she knows she is being neglectful which I felt like she was blaming in working, and another insinuating you can’t homeschool with two parents working full time. I call BS, but it’s not worth engaging. I’ll just continue to do my thing. You know, working FT and being committed to teaching my kid. Because if I posted it would be to tell that one poster to get off her duff, stop making excuses, and teach her kids. But I’d probably come across to other posters as mean and get warning posts for attacking someone.

I need chocolate.

• Like 7

I checked out half of the the library. Among my horde is The Portable MFA in Creative Writing. I want to learn me how to written more better. :hat:

First exercise: List the books and stories that you would consider life-changers. Now I need to think and compose my list. So many, so many...

Also a beautiful quote: "Beethoven wrote Symphony No. 9 in D minor. He also wrote bagatelles--short, light musical pieces. He didn't feel bad about the bagatelles. He understood an important truth: that a bagatelle can be a good bagatelle, but it can't be any kind of symphony except failed ... recognize what kinds of projects are bagatelles, and what kinds might be symphonies ... ensure that your bagatelles are good bagatelles, your symphonies good symphonies."

Now if I only knew what a bagatelle sounded like and which ones are good.

• Like 3

Edpo alert!

Anyone else following both the “rethinking school†thread (and listened to the linked talk) and the educational neglect thread? Is it just me or does it seem some like some people are setting the bar so high on the second thread that some of the things SWB is recommending as out of the box ideas would count as educational neglect to them?

I guess I should stop swimming in the sea.

Yes yes yes.  

I thought exactly the same thing.  

• Like 1

HELP!!!!

Do I round grades for the transcript? I.e., does and 89.83% become a 90% or is it 89%?

That's why I always did pass/fail. Which was basically just pass because my kids did not have failure as an option. We worked at it until it was done! Some people would probably say pass/fail or pass/pass= educational neglect but I don't care! 

• Like 5

The creek is fixing to go over the crossing. Pipes are almost plugged with the silt coming down the creek. Grrrrrrrrr. The boys and DH are stacking protective rocks to try to save something. Blast and bad words.

Ugh, crossing my fingers for you.

Slache--I think I signed over my soul to Microsoft, T Mobile, Google, Verizon, Comcast, Century Link, Amazon, and three other companies at least. Little do they all know, they're going to have to fight for it!

Also, my personal data is useless now. I'm pretty sure it's in a pile of purchased personal browsing histories now marked "free", it's been passed around so many times.

There is a big-data bubble a-coming. Guess what, investors. That last column of data telling you whether or not somebody registered their car online or in person is not going to help this big-data marketing company  you have invested in, sell useless, crappy products to the data subjects online! Because nobody reads anything anyway and half these people have no money!

• Like 3

Now if I only knew what a bagatelle sounded like and which ones are good.

Quoting myself because I thought I'd be happy with just some ice cream for dinner (late lunch) but since posting the above, I really want a baguette. With cheese to gnaw on and some fancy grapes.

I want cheese with my whine.

• Like 6

That's why I always did pass/fail. Which was basically just pass because my kids did not have failure as an option. We worked at it until it was done! Some people would probably say pass/fail or pass/pass= educational neglect but I don't care! 

If you finished the work until passing, the total work will still be reflected in the transcript though. You can't take your approach and also get through algebra without eventually working really long hours.

It's only if you pass them for nothing that it's neglect.

Also: yes, round to the nearest whole number per standard rounding rules. 89.5=90=A- (well, in some areas that's an A but then you don't have + or -). I'm pretty sure that's how I got an A- in trig, lol.

• Like 1

Oh, please don't let's get started with the +/- thing! I'm putting that off to think about some other time. :svengo:

(I am keeping a record of percentages, just in case I change my mind. Oh, and I don't know about designating things as "honors." Both Physical Science and Physics were the Honors version, and I think the AoPS classes would qualify. Oh, and do I want to count Physical Science (H) with Labs as high school, or no... :svengo:  I suck at the whole "high school counselor" thing.)

#isaidsuck

• Like 3

If you finished the work until passing, the total work will still be reflected in the transcript though. You can't take your approach and also get through algebra without eventually working really long hours.

We did do that with Algebra and it took a long time, but not really unreasonably-maybe a year instead of a school year.. I don't think I taught in a typical do the chapter, take the test, get the score and move on kind of way for any subject. I'm doing Algebra with my DDs now and I've stopped recording grades or scores. I feel there's no point in the way we're working. Tests are for my benefit and tell me if we need to work on something some more, but there's no way I'd let them move on if they are struggling.

• Like 3

It's only if you pass them for nothing that it's neglect.

Also: yes, round to the nearest whole number per standard rounding rules. 89.5=90=A- (well, in some areas that's an A but then you don't have + or -). I'm pretty sure that's how I got an A- in trig, lol.

I got a D in Trig because my teacher somehow rounded a 40-something percent to a 60 because he knew I tried hard.

I never wanted to take that class, but my guidance counselor told me that it would be good for me.  She was wrong.

• Like 2

I went to the Afsa. I hate that place, but it's the cheapest place to get groceries.  I parked a long way away because #steps. It'll be a miracle if I get to my goal today.

DH talked me in to going to this informational meeting for that homeschool charter I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. I do not want to go because #effort, but I should, just to be able to say I am making an informed decision.

• Like 2

We did do that with Algebra and it took a long time, but not really unreasonably-maybe a year instead of a school year.. I don't think I taught in a typical do the chapter, take the test, get the score and move on kind of way for any subject. I'm doing Algebra with my DDs now and I've stopped recording grades or scores. I feel there's no point in the way we're working. Tests are for my benefit and tell me if we need to work on something some more, but there's no way I'd let them move on if they are struggling.

Exactly. I guess my point was to say, that you're not cutting corners so it will show up on your transcripts somehow in the end. If you do every math over 1.5 years until they get it, then that's just three math classes in high school, which is an honest assessment of work complete. A lot of people could get an A if they had 1.5 years and that's a really valid way to think of setting up education. I don't think it speaks to neglect.

Neglect is when you aren't even thinking about it, when you aren't even prepared for eventualities, whether they be a desire to go to college for the oldest girl of 12 kids, or whether it's dyslexia for the child of two PhDs. If you aren't working to provide a general education for the kid that's not good enough. And as I mentioned on the neglect thread, yes public schools are frequently guilty of this, though I'm not willing to be on whether the incidence of neglect is higher among homeschoolers or public schoolers. My guess is that the more mainstream you get, the more hangers on you get, and the more people are going to try to skate through.

• Like 1