Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning! It's Saturday!

I just checked the shipping email and discovered that my rhubarb and strawberry plants are coming today. TODAY!! 😮 :svengo: 😮 They weren't supposed to get here until Tuesday! Also, I saw reddish-green buds coming up from the dirt where I was pretty sure my peonies had finally given up the ghost. Is it possible they are still down there and clinging to life? Hope springs eternal.

Is it too early for coffee?

☕ï¸

• Like 7

I cut DS's hair once. It was a disaster- I kept having to cut more and more in an attempt to even it out. Then I took him to someone to fix it.

I did that to my own bangs once.  I never attempted to cut my own hair again, not even trimming bangs.

I got tired really quickly of either having my hair poke me in the eyes or having to find the time and funds to go get my bangs trimmed every time I turned around, so I decided to grow out the bangs.  I won't have bangs again by choice.

It took DH a while to convince me to try cutting his hair with clippers.  I was just getting comfortable doing so when I forgot to put the #2 comb on the clippers once, and he got a #0 cut.  Now that's all he gets, and all I'm interested in doing.  It's a lot easier!

• Like 2

Edpo alert!

Anyone else following both the “rethinking school†thread (and listened to the linked talk) and the educational neglect thread? Is it just me or does it seem some like some people are setting the bar so high on the second thread that some of the things SWB is recommending as out of the box ideas would count as educational neglect to them?

I guess I should stop swimming in the sea.

Yes.

Some people's idea of neglect is "not selective college preparatory"

While SWB is explicitly saying that not everyone needs to attend a selective college or attend college at all.

• Like 4

Edpo alert!

Anyone else following both the “rethinking school†thread (and listened to the linked talk) and the educational neglect thread? Is it just me or does it seem some like some people are setting the bar so high on the second thread that some of the things SWB is recommending as out of the box ideas would count as educational neglect to them?

I skimmed some on the neglect thread.  I really don't see the point of a thread like that.  Isn't it mostly anecdotal and vague guessing?  I don't need that kind of discouragement in my life, lol.  I WAS an academic child (straight As throughout highschool), only took 2 AP classes and mostly honors level (30 years ago!) and still my highschool years were WAY more stressful than college.  My own take away (that that much stress was artificial and unnecessary) does effect the rigor vs. whole person debate I have with myself over and over again.  And yes, as homeschoolers we can have both "rigor" (would need to be defined) and respect for the whole person, but figuring out what that is is not intuitive obvious to me.    

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3

I booked the trip that I won in the Starbucks sweepstakes! I hope it's not lame. DH, Baby, and I are going in a couple months and MIL will be babysitting. Don't worry- we told them to book Baby his own seats on the flights. I have no idea what to expect. 

• Like 11

I booked the trip that I won in the Starbucks sweepstakes! I hope it's not lame. DH, Baby, and I are going in a couple months and MIL will be babysitting. Don't worry- we told them to book Baby his own seats on the flights. I have no idea what to expect. 

As someone who grew up on an airline I thank you for this.  You will all be more comfortable and the baby will be MUCH safer should turbulence be encountered.

Now, please check to make sure your baby's car seat is not only TSA-approved, but approved by your airline(s) as well, just so there will be no hiccups over whether or not the child's seat can be carried on and used.  Be sure to check airplane size -- if any are smaller planes double-check to make sure the car seat will be allowed.

If you are renting a car on the other end check into what kind of transportation is provided to get you to your car.  Many use shuttle busses with no seatbelts.  Try to get yourself transportation that will allow you to strap your child's seat down properly for the ride.  BE INSISTENT ON THIS.  It is, after all, simply looking after the lawful transportation requirements of the baby.  If they try to have you ride in a vehicle that doesn't allow this get right back off and insist on other transportation to the rental car.  Take a taxi if necessary.

• Like 1

Edpo alert!

I can't read those threads. It seems to me that the most prolific posters like to define neglect (educational or otherwise) as "anything that I disagree with." I'm a big proponent of liberty, and freedom includes the freedom to fail. And, having worked in government bureaucracy much of my adult life, I am continually gobsmacked that there are functioning adults who think that governmental involvement will ensure that "minimal standards are met." Riiiiiight.

:grouphug: , Spuds. I will always be grateful to these boards for the knowledge I've gleaned; I seriously would not have been able to homeschool without this resource. BUT I have also developed a certain loathing for them, as well. There is a decided element, especially on the High School Board :glare: , of hyper-competitive one-upmanship. Trying to navigate those waters to skim off the knowledge without getting sucked down into the Whirlpool of Despair is something I find to be very challenging.

• Like 6

Oh, and good morning!

Today I must do all the things. For tomorrow, immediately post-church, the short person and I will be embarking on our first ever (<insert Voice of Doom>) COLLEGE VISIT. We're just going to our state flagship and the neighboring state's state uni, but still. It's a big deal. I had the short person do ALL of the arranging, which she did flawlessly and I am all :001_wub: . Of course, the weather decided to go full winter on us again, so our 2 1/2 hour drive may wind up being more like 4... And she'll be missing 3 days of school, which makes me all nail-biting.gif.  And the dog is not well. And the ponies require close attention during weather.

And I picked the wrong week...

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Saturday!!,ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

This morning our church is doing this “Missions in Your Backyard†thing. We are going to a retirement home and making planters for the residents and then spending time with them. Our boys are going to this place called Gleanings for the Hungry (it’s affiliated with YWAM) and pack boxes of food to be shipped internationally.

• Like 6

Good morning. I just dropped Ds off at the airport. Dh got up for early puppy duty (she woke up even earlier than usual because of the airport run. ). Now dh has gone back to bed and I am stuck with puppy. But she seems to have gone down for second sleep and I am going to try to wrap myself in my blanket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Today:

Dojo open house

MIL birthday celebration with BIL & family

sneaking in a walk if I can (maybe see if DD16 wants to stroll along)

call BFF

DD13 wants to sleep over tonight to have more time with cousins

eat more fresh veggies

Last night MIL made King Ranch casserole again (had made it last weekend).  It's tasty enough, but it always gives me gas.  I loaded up my plate with romaine leaves, grapes, and tomatoes and only took a little casserole and corn chips.  Romaine works nicely as a wrap for bites of the casserole.  It looked like I ate a lot more than I did so MIL was pleased, I didn't get gas as bad as usual, and I got a lot of fresh veggies.

Right now fresh veggies are my bestest food friend.

• Like 3

SWB regarding high school from the talk:

"This is the time to figure out what you enjoy doing, practice doing it, and see if you can get good at it."

Theoretically. For some kids. For others, they love to do all the things -oh, wait! Look! Shiny new idea! Must try! Which is totally normal for a teenager. Seriously, when did we ever get the idea that teenagers are supposed to know their calling? Or even figure it out? Yes, some do. But it's also totally normal to not have a clue. At all. Life is a journey; we're supposed to keep learning and growing along the way. The whole way. And teenagers normally may swing wildly back and forth and sideways about who they are, want they want, and where they fit into the world. Sheesh.

Can you tell that this has been bugging me lately?

Oh, and I've listened to much of SWB's talk and I like it. My rant is not really about what she says, but about how we (collective, societal we, not we we. Or wee wee. Snort.) transform what she is saying generally into specific objectives.

• Like 9

I slept in until 9. Then I let the dogs out and fixed the boys breakfast. Now I have coffee.

I have nothing planned for today. Sure, there's stuff on the neverending to do list, but I am only going to do things if I feel like it.

Captain Mal seems fine this morning. It's almost as if he never got sick at all.

• Like 4

I will not be participating in any marathons.

I doubled down on my potty training efforts today. Actual conversations with the 4yo.

Me: Let's go potty!

Mal: I don't want to! I don't have to!

Me: if you use the potty, I will give you a cookie.

Mal: oh, ok.

*pees easily and immediately*

An hour later,

Me: Mal, do you have to potty?

Mal: No. But I could use another cookie.

• Like 12

Oh, for Pete's sake!

"Basically I see it as meaning that something is not being taken care of, and its needs are not being met." (ETA: This was posited as definition of educational neglect. By someone who clearly is ever-so-qualified to sit in judgment of 90% of homeschoolers.)

Riiiiight. And we're going to apply this same definition to public schools, too, aren't we?  Institutional schools fail to meet the actual academic needs of MOST of the children attending; they only fully meet their own administrative needs. Why can't the people in those threads just say what they mean, "Oh, yuck. I keep bumping into those whackadoodle Christian homeschoolers. Those people are just so yucky and weird. I think the government should intervene. It's for the children."

Quick! Someone remind me that I have a cr*pload of things to do today. Oh, and pass the duct tape while you're at it. My mouth may need it. :glare:

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 4

Posted Today, 12:00 PM

laundrycrisis, on 24 Feb 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:snapback.png

I bolded that. 

I'm not emphatically stating anything.  The OP asked for a ballpark, and that's mine.  Also, my ballpark isn't based on all homeschoolers.  It's very local, and it's based on people I've personally had contact with through a variety of homeschool-specific activities over the 11 years that have passed since I first attended something and started talking to people.  It was also asked how we define personally define neglect.  I've attempted to demonstrate how I define it through the hypothetical examples in my previous posts here.  Others will have different definitions.  My impression of homeschooling in my state is not very good.  

I'm not personally attacking anyone, and I wouldn't.  I'm great at minding my own business.  The question was asked here, and I threw my answer in. 

Perhaps next time you could put in the qualifier "in my area".( That was Jean.)

Gosh, maybe it would be better for the poster's children to go to public school. I mean, so they can be adequately taught writing and reading comprehension...

Must.Not.Post.

• Like 4

Posted Today, 12:00 PM

laundrycrisis, on 24 Feb 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:snapback.png

Perhaps next time you could put in the qualifier "in my area".( That was Jean.)

Gosh, maybe it would be better for the poster's children to go to public school. I mean, so they can be adequately taught writing and reading comprehension...

Must.Not.Post.

Pass the duct tape, dear. 

• Like 5

Good morning. I just dropped Ds off at the airport. Dh got up for early puppy duty (she woke up even earlier than usual because of the airport run. ). Now dh has gone back to bed and I am stuck with puppy. But she seems to have gone down for second sleep and I am going to try to wrap myself in my blanket.

(((Jean)))

• Like 2

I did not drown in the dangerous seas--either the ones outside my front door or the ones referenced up-thread. As someone who tends to be a homebody and doesn't live in an area with ample opportunities for my introverted snapping turtles to socialize with other snapping turtles, I just make do with what I have and do the best I can. 

The snappers are down with the big snapper (DH) to see what can be done about the flooding that is close to overtopping the crossing. I think they might be trying to channel Moses. They took the sole umbrella with them so I can't go rescue them without getting soaked. I haven't dried out from getting soaked just getting into the house.

It's raining buckets, frogs, and buckets of frogs, I tell you!

We are also under a tornado watch, and expecting 60 mph winds...fun times.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

I wrote a restrained version of my most pressing point....but yeah, I’m a coward. ;)

I’ve been stewing over that thread all morning. I have half a dozen ranty replies swirling around in my head unposted (just as well!).

You are not a coward. I have learned not to go swimming in those seas. I differ ideologically with certain people and posting on some threads would just be an exercise in futility.
  • Like 6

I have redesigned the back deck container garden. I think I will wait to plant the rhubarb and garlic and strawberries until tomorrow. The weather can't decide if it's going to storm or not.

Ugh, Critter! Too much water!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EfAhpX_wIBk

For some reason, Piglet stuffing the letter in the bottle and throwing it out of his tree-house comes to mind...

• Like 9

You are not a coward. I have learned not to go swimming in those seas. I differ ideologically with certain people and posting on some threads would just be an exercise in futility.

I will say this, though.... my one kid struggles. Period. Educating him wears me out. But putting him in any kind of school would be educational neglect because they wouldn’t be able to do a thing with him, especially when he shuts down and he would just be passed grade to grade, not learning anything, especially math. To me, that would be educational neglect. Right now he has me browbeating him every day and he is learning something. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 12