Menu

Ignore this thread!

You've been away so long I don't think you remember, but waaaay back on page 157 or so, we did away with the "reading the whole thread" rule. The Queen even spoke on it.

No, I was around back then, and I double-checked that page -- it contains admonitions to someone that they would have known something if they HAD read the whole thread.  And remonstrations to follow the rules.

Besides, I am Matriarch.  Matriarchs boss others about and no one dares tell them No.  Not seriously.  Newbies must read the whole thread as part of their cultural awareness.  This is the realm of proper socialization, not law of the land.  After all, you wouldn't deprive our newbies of one of the greatest classics of all time, would you?

• Like 3

I'm convinced that some of what my kids insist I agreed to was just thought up by them and presented to me as a done deal. ;)

My kids do that to me all the time. They also try to convince me that we "always do such-and-such" even though we've only done it that way once.
  • Like 5

If you start at DFW and drive south, you can

meet all the ITT Tx peeps.

Hey, this is along the line of our annual trips to northern states!  I should get you-all's addresses and have a Texas Round Robin trip sometime.  Or we can all converge on Tex's house.  Weren't we supposed to go there for a sleep-over?  And SWB was going to sleep next to me?

• Like 2

Wow! How did I miss this? I read the first who knows how many posts to this thread but then I was told I wouldn't miss anything by just starting out wherever I jump in each time. It seems I have missed an important segment of this thread.

Are the rest of us apprentices? Do we have levels? Should I invest in a new outfit?

Go.  Read.  The.  Entire.  Thread.

This here is a prime example of why the newbies must read the whole thread!  Do you see the glaring gaps in her education?  Do you?

• Like 1

I've never met a pale blue person before. Smurfs, yes. People, no. Well I've seen them on TV during futbol games. :D

Google Billy Connelly.  Then again, don't, until I check with DH as to how ripe his language gets.  I can't keep all of these comedians straight....

• Like 1

Special ed coordinator

She's not coordinating very well if she's trying to make your kid fit a preformed hole.

I'm glad your DD is appreciating the homeschooling more.

Good Morning!  Time to update my sig. for another birthday.  DS is 10 today!  :party:

He announced that he wanted every one up at 7:00 to see him open presents before dh leaves for work.  I'm sure he meant to say something like this:  "Dearest Mother and Father, should there be any gifts honoring the humble occasion of my birthday in the morning, might it be acceptable in thy sight that I honor you by opening them in the midst of all my siblings before dearest Father must depart for the work he does in support of us and the welfare of all?"

• Like 11

Well then, I guess she didn't fit.  That's too bad.  I was going to have a lot of fun teasing my mythology-loving eldest that I was now hanging out with Minerva.

Maybe she's just busy and will come back.  If she does give her some virtual chocolate before informing her of the quiz.

She decided we are whack.

• Like 6

Good Morning!  Time to update my sig. for another birthday.  DS is 10 today!  :party:

He announced that he wanted every one up at 7:00 to see him open presents before dh leaves for work.  I'm sure he meant to say something like this:  "Dearest Mother and Father, should there be any gifts honoring the humble occasion of my birthday in the morning, might it be acceptable in thy sight that I honor you by opening them in the midst of all my siblings before dearest Father must depart for the work he does in support of us and the welfare of all?"

(probably not ;) )

But happy birthday to ds10!  I think 10 is a really fabulous age.

• Like 3

If only! Dh thinks every birthday is an occasion worthy of social chaos.

Yeah, I'm a "family party" type of gal. I hate parties. At age 10, my oldest had a big bash at the skating rink. I told her she could have another when she's 20.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm a "family party" type of gal. I hate parties. At age 10, my oldest had a big bash at the skating rink. I told her she could have another when she's 20.

I really hate kid bday parties.  Also, I am terrible at them.  Fortunately, the kids are getting less interested.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

I think I'm caught up in the thread!  :hurray:   

Happy bday to your ds, Another Lynn.  I have one dc left in the single digits, too. Bitter sweet.

I'm also not a huge fan of kid birthday parties. Dd's birthday was during holidays this year, which made it a small family gathering only. Yay!

• Like 2

Nice!

What Mama here wants is bread, or crunchy starchy stuff, or chocolate ganache ice cream (and I was at the store that carries that last today, too).  Day 10 of Whole30 is really stinkin' now.  I'd better roast me some more potatoes before I take youngest to Aikido, or I just might get us banned by reacting poorly to Special Snowflake Boy.

ETA:  Booyah.  I kinda feel like I don't deserve it, complaining like that.

I did well at Aikido yesterday.  DD11 and I discovered on the way there that the applesauce packets she brings as snack are technically okay for me to eat, so I can skarf one of those if my blood sugar gets low.  I ate a snack beforehand and kept an even keel, even moving to another room when a certain boy and his cousin got to be too much.  (DD14 wasn't' with me at Aikido because DH got home from work before we left.  She also actually still likes hanging out with the boy because she can show off her knowledge of electronic games.)

One bonus was I discovered there was much stronger (better!) a/c in the table room!  It wasn't any quieter because I was closer to the Aikido room and could hear everything, but I was able to concentrate more easily without children yelling in my ear and dogs trying to climb on my lap. 

Now I feel like I deserve my booyah, because I found a way to cope without alienating anyone.

My 2-week check-in (for the hearing aid) with the audiologist is this afternoon.  Sometimes I forget I'm wearing it now -- I certainly seem to have gotten quite used to it.  I can even wear my hair down now without the sound of my hair brushing the microphone driving me batty (my brain has learned to filter that out most of the time).  I've also figured out that when I'm slightly congested the aid in my ear physically bothers me more (makes my ear feel like it's got something in it).

I'm still having to consciously remind myself each morning to put it in, however.

We go just enough rain to stick the dirt to the car yesterday.  I wish we could get more.  Everything has become quite crispy.

• Like 3

Hey, my dc can really work!!! They cleaned out the garage and basement yesterday, and today did the weeding, cleaning out the eavestroffs, mowing the lawn, vacuuming the mainfloor, and biking to the store to buy ice cream!  :hurray:   I LOVE this phase of their lives, and hope it lasts for a good long while. 

A fellow came by our house in the midst of all this helpful activity and suggested my dc could do a scouting summer camp. Now why would I do that when I have plenty of important stuff for them to do at home? ;)

All of that activity counts as PE, life skills and values, good citizenship (being productive members of society), and personal finance (purchasing power).  Show me a scouting camp that will teach as much for as little out-of-pocket cost.

You done good.

• Like 4

Eleven pages in I finally found the reference to the Ninja Elephant. Only 253 more pages to go! It is going to be a long night. lol

500 points for you!  Keep going!  You can do it!

• Like 1

Happy birthday, Lynn's DS!

That reminds me -- I need to update my own sig.

I do wish my own kids would learn to talk like Ramses Emerson.  Hey, they're old enough!  I can start them on the Amelia Peabody books!  That should go down really well after this weekend's melodrama play.  I wonder if they made movies from any of those books.  If not I can also have them watch The Mummy as a tie-in.  They saw it before and loved it.

Oh look, a castle!

• Like 1

I really hate kid bday parties.  Also, I am terrible at them.  Fortunately, my boys got over parties a few years back.  Now we just have over a few friends for burgers and bball.  Little dd insists on parties, though.  What we have taken to doing is inviting two friends to do something special.  Last year, though, she had a bday party at the Humane Society we volunteer at (because I am friends with the director).  That location closed, though, and my friend moved on to a different job, so it is back to inviting two friends to the mall and a movie or something.  (Little dd is really into the  mall, probably because we go about once a year.)

My DD14 would gladly go to the mall with your DD.  We rarely go, too, and DD really doesn't have that much she wants to shop for, but she still likes to go anyway. 

Our mall also quite foolishly drove out the two entertainment venues it had a few years back in order to make way for yet another clothing store.  That's when we stopped going with any frequency.  Before we'd go for the venues (a children's museum and an extension of the big natural science museum -- they both had LOTS of great birthday parties) and then wander the mall and impulse buy.  Now it takes a deliberate trip to get us anywhere near the place, and I'm so focused on finding stuff we don't wander and impulse buy anymore.  The mall thinks the answer to reduced purchasing is to bring in even MORE clothing stores, and crowd the main aisles with more and more cart shops.  It's simply no fun anymore.

I miss the malls in Minnesota (the real malls, not that megamall monster).  They were all smart enough to have sit-down restaurants as well as food courts, and entertainment venues like skating rinks and movie theaters and arcades and puppet shows....  Things that would entice people to hang out all day and browse browse browse.

• Like 1

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

The stuffed animal contingent will visit you tonight in Dreamland and love on you. Get better. Please.

ETA: This Booyah is in honor of Jean, in hopes it brings some healing her way.

This is the thread that's full of friends

We hope sincerely it never ends

The people here are wonderful

So very caring, too

We cheer each other on and

try to comfort those who are blue....

This is precious. I mean that in the nicest possible way, not the "bless your heart" way:-)

• Like 1

Hey, this is along the line of our annual trips to northern states! I should get you-all's addresses and have a Texas Round Robin trip sometime. Or we can all converge on Tex's house. Weren't we supposed to go there for a sleep-over? And SWB was going to sleep next to me?

I'll fight ya for her.

I really hate kid bday parties. Also, I am terrible at them. Fortunately, my boys got over parties a few years back. Now we just have over a few friends for burgers and bball. Little dd insists on parties, though. What we have taken to doing is inviting two friends to do something special. Last year, though, she had a bday party at the Humane Society we volunteer at (because I am friends with the director). That location closed, though, and my friend moved on to a different job, so it is back to inviting two friends to the mall and a movie or something. (Little dd is really into the mall, probably because we go about once a year.)

Me too. Too many kids in one place. I did really huge parties for their first bdays. Scary big, like 70 people catered. Really, the party was for us. It gave me something to look forward to during that first year of no sleep:-) Then, that was it until I had a big Hobbit themed party when Ds1 turned 10 and ds2 turned 8 (their bdays are within 2 weeks of each other so we tend to combine.) We had about 15 boys over for dinner, airsoft, and a sleepover. Of course, someone burned themselves playing with fire and a couple got run over playing ghosts in the graveyard in the dark. I turned our yard into the Shire, made a hobbit hole cake and served things like ent draft and elf stones (frozen grapes) and Lembas and dwarves in blankets. It was awesome. And that was probably the last big party for them until their graduations, lol.

I have a friend who does parties for all three of her kids every year. Not overblown, just nice. She is awesome. My awesomeness is just fewer and farther between.

• Like 4

I hate parties, too. We have one "friends" party per year. The kids have to rotate who gets it. Last year when DS turned 11 I did one more of those things I was always super judgmental about other people doing (there are a lot of those) and then I found myself in that position .... I had DS's 11th birthday party at a venue. I was always like, "how hard can it be to clean your house, or hire someone to do it, and bake a cake? Blah, blah, blah!" And then I'm having a stressful time of life and it's DS's 11th birthday.... how does one plan an at-home birthday party for an 11 year old boy? I told him he could invite 3 friends (that's how many could fit in our minivan with his dad and brother and me) and we spent the morning at the local miniature golf place and then came home and had pizza. No more judgement about venue birthday parties from this girl, that's for sure!
  • Like 5

I hate parties so much I don't even throw class parties. I tell parents upfront that if they don't put it together, it will not happen. I will get students to wash their hands and at the the tables, but that is the extent of my involvement.

• Like 3

I have thrown some pretty cool parties back in the day.  We had a spy party where the invitation was in code.  (There was an answer key but even then some people missed that or perhaps were too lazy and called to find out what it said.)  We had a kickball party at the community center with about 30 friends and family - the adults liked playing just as well as the kids.  I think there were others but I can't remember now.

• Like 3

I want a time machine to take me back to 2:30 am or perhaps 2:20 just to be safe.  I want a do over.  

I tried to go back to sleep after getting ds and dh off to work.  I got woken up by the phone.  I couldn't find the blankety blank handset.  I finally located ds's handset in his pig sty of a room but it had gone to the answering machine - very loud beeps that went on and on while I tried to figure out how to get it to stop (I wasn't very mentally alert yet at this point.)  The phone has been ringing over and over from this "800 Service" with the non-stop beeps.  There is no person to cuss out.  Dd woke up in the middle of all of this and feels just fine.  She stomped off angrily and slammed her door when I told her that I cannot in good conscience let her go volunteer with the babies and toddlers today since I don't know for sure if she has a virus.  If she has no more trouble all day then I will let her go tomorrow.  

• Like 1