Menu

Ignore this thread!

I thought it was called something else in Russian than in Greek. But maybe not. I don't know. Maybe the thing that looks like a gamma is called a gamma too in Russian. Anyway, that thing.

You're not fluent until you know about 20,000 words, imnsho. So, that'd take about 2 years at 30 words/day. Which is unlikely to be sustainable at that pace for most people. After 3 months at 30 words/day you'd know only about 2700 words - enough to get by, but nowhere near enough to converse about w/e you want.

Oh! I thought you were talking about Greek. Your kids were learning the Russian alphabet. (I really should read for comprehension on this thread!)

My brain often cannot process (American) English accents, expecially if they are Deep South or very fast New England, though I'm getting better. When I was in college, I struggled to understand Southern Missouri accent unless I could watch the speaker's face and partially lip-read. No question where my kids get their auditory processing issues! 🙄

New Englanders do not speak fast. The rest of y’all speak really, really slow. Sometimes, when DH is talking, my hand will start moving in a circular motion trying to get him to speed up. It’s probably just as annoying to him as his slow speech is to me. :LOL:

• Like 3

Oh! I thought you were talking about Greek. Your kids were learning the Russian alphabet. (I really should read for comprehension on this thread!)

No, they learned the Greek alphabet. If my reading comprehension is okay though, your kid is (going to be) learning Russian, and I was saying that the Russian alphabet isn't that hard, just that in a bunch of words that ge thing is pronounced 'v' instead of the usual 'g'. Pretty common in words ending in ego or ogo to be pronounced evo or ovo (though there are some words in which it's actually pronounced ogo as written, because why not have exceptions to your exceptions?). 

It gets easier up to a point, unless you're learning entire language families, in which case the benefits probably continue somewhat (e.g. I've learned German and I'm learning Russian - if in the future I wanted to learn, say, Polish, the benefits from German and Russian would probably be pretty big, whereas if I were to learn Navajo... not). I mean, maybe there'd be a slight advantage from encountering even more weird grammatical things the more unrelated languages I were to add, but I doubt it'd really add up to learning them faster.

I agree. I went into Japanese study speaking fairly fluent Spanish and French and having studied German, Russian, and Cantonese.

I thought I had a handle on language learning.

Japanese was HARD and those other languages were not much help. At all.

No, they learned the Greek alphabet. If my reading comprehension is okay though, your kid is (going to be) learning Russian, and I was saying that the Russian alphabet isn't that hard, just that in a bunch of words that ge thing is pronounced 'v' instead of the usual 'g'. Pretty common in words ending in ego or ogo to be pronounced evo or ovo (though there are some words in which it's actually pronounced ogo as written, because why not have exceptions to your exceptions?).

Stop confusing me!! :D

I have not even looked at the Russian alphabet yet. But thanks for the heads up.

I'm back to writing Japanese lessons and I'm enjoying myself.

I do a layering approach to conversation.

I would love to see how you approach Japanese lessons.

One of my kids mentioned wanting to learn Japanese but mine is so rusty I would definitely need good resources to reach it.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

One of my kids mentioned wanting to learn Japanese but mine is so rusty I would definitely need good resources to reach it.

When I grow up (hopefully later this year) I want to get into teaching Japanese again.  But I have to get things sorted out better before I teach other people's kids.  And I want to watch Renai do a lesson or two to see how other people do it for money. 

• Like 4

What I mean by a layered approach is that ____ lessons ago we learned the names of family members.  At that time we paired it with the greetings and introductions we had learned previously and practiced the new vocabulary.  We've then learned a whole bunch of other things but now we are back to family members.  This time we focused specifically on the terminology used to talk about our own family members (because Japanese is super confusing and uses different terminology for my mom vs. your mom etc) and added it to introducing them (from another lesson) and giving their age (from yet another lesson).  Then we added in grade levels (new for today) and practiced telling what grades we and our siblings were in.  So old is mixed with review from other lessons plus some new to add new richness to our small talk.  ;) 

• Like 3

I’m here. I ketchupped. I have nothing to say about languages. I am not gifted. I only study Latin academically and am happy it is not a spoken language.

Ummm, actually there is revival movement amongst classicists. Jo went to a Spoken Latin camp last summer.

Tomorrow is my birthday, people!! I’m really having a hard time with it. I did 30just fine. I was very glad to get out of my 20’s. Forty was not a problem. But 50....I’m getting depressed. And not for some vain “i’m Getting wrinkles and my youth is fleeting†sort of reason. I’m just looking at aging in the face with my own parents, especially my dad, and my in-laws and my friends’ parents (a good friend of mine has a dad in hospice right now) and I’m like, “I don’t want to do this!!†Of course, it’s not like I have a choice or anything.

:grouphug:

When I grow up (hopefully later this year) I want to get into teaching Japanese again. But I have to get things sorted out better before I teach other people's kids. And I want to watch Renai do a lesson or two to see how other people do it for money.

Oh, please don’t grow up, Jean! That would be such an unfortunate event.

• Like 3

Remember when I was upset that my godson was being held back in kindergarten? Well, now his sister is failing 1st so mom brought her home. They're using the state's virtual academy. I assume this is a good thing.

State online can be just as bad as state face-to-face.

• Like 2

I don't do languages well. Except medical terminology, which has a lot of Latin and the abbreviations are like another language. But I blame it on being a visual learner. I don't remember anything I hear.

I'm also a visual learner. I see a lot of patterns in language when able to see it. When I was in college, I had Japanese and Taiwanese friends trying to teach me their languages. Since I was scared of tones, I stuck with Japanese, and saw patterns as I learned the hiragana. Now that my daughter is learning Chinese (and me by default), the teacher is pointing out the patterns in the characters, and I'm beginning to think I should have learned sooner.

• Like 1

What I mean by a layered approach is that ____ lessons ago we learned the names of family members.  At that time we paired it with the greetings and introductions we had learned previously and practiced the new vocabulary.  We've then learned a whole bunch of other things but now we are back to family members.  This time we focused specifically on the terminology used to talk about our own family members (because Japanese is super confusing and uses different terminology for my mom vs. your mom etc) and added it to introducing them (from another lesson) and giving their age (from yet another lesson).  Then we added in grade levels (new for today) and practiced telling what grades we and our siblings were in.  So old is mixed with review from other lessons plus some new to add new richness to our small talk.  ;)

Ah! That's kind of what I'm doing in my classes, but building upon concepts in each class, adding conversational pieces each time. We talk about grammar points as we go, both implicitly (with the younger students) and explicitly (in the Parent Notes).

When I grow up (hopefully later this year) I want to get into teaching Japanese again.  But I have to get things sorted out better before I teach other people's kids.  And I want to watch Renai do a lesson or two to see how other people do it for money. 

Really? Ok.

• Like 1

I'm teaching Russian brilliantly.

I say, "Jo, it's time to meet your tutor online!"

How's that for awesome sauce?

That's what I do for Gymnast and her Chinese. Except, since she's so young, I have to help her, and am picking up faster than she is...(background knowledge is a thing).

• Like 1

Tomorrow is my birthday, people!! I’m really having a hard time with it. I did 30just fine. I was very glad to get out of my 20’s. Forty was not a problem. But 50....I’m getting depressed. And not for some vain “i’m Getting wrinkles and my youth is fleeting†sort of reason. I’m just looking at aging in the face with my own parents, especially my dad, and my in-laws and my friends’ parents (a good friend of mine has a dad in hospice right now) and I’m like, “I don’t want to do this!!†Of course, it’s not like I have a choice or anything.

:grouphug: I get it. 

We had the young children at the group tonight. I don't like it, because I write adult fiction and I never get to read my story when the young children are present. But...the adorable little girl wants to read her story next time. I told her I'd hold her to that.  :001_wub:

I read a poem instead.

• Like 4

I don't do languages well. Maybe my brain doesn't process language quickly enough. My dad, on the other hand, learned Hebrew when he was in his 60's - the first foreign language he ever attempted. Dd15 loves Spanish and listens to Spanish radio a lot. Don't think she's learned the Macarena. :D

In other words, all languages here except basic Latin are outsourced!

I don't do languages well. Except medical terminology, which has a lot of Latin and the abbreviations are like another language. But I blame it on being a visual learner. I don't remember anything I hear.

My people!  

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

The site’s up!!! Woohoo!!

Thank you for the Birthday Wishes!! Looks like the sun’s coming up and the earth is continuing to rotate on its axis whether or not I am 50 years old, so there you go!🙄

School today, DS is on a Foggy Day Schedule so we don’t have to rush around this morning, Awana tonight - i’m Gonna make cupcakes in honor of my birthday.

• Like 7

🎈🎈🎈🎉 Happy Birthday, Krissi!! 🎉🎈🎈🎈

☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ðŸ«â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

A Most Awesome Birthday Booya/h!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me)

KrissiK. Documentation of the ITT Flag 5/1/2017

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

I wasn’t quite at the Panic Point when I went to bed last night, but the thought did cross my mind as to... if the site just disappears, so do all my friends. And then what??

:iagree: I felt like all my friends died at the same time.  It was awful. 

• Like 4

I wasn’t quite at the Panic Point when I went to bed last night, but the thought did cross my mind as to... if the site just disappears, so do all my friends. And then what??

Then I have to fire up the stealth 'copter and travel around the country checking up on everyone. Probably you all should start making huge ITT Coffee Flags to put on your roofs so I can find you.

• Like 8

I don't want the work/stress involved with a middle school text at this point, especially since he likes to take his school books to bed. I was like "Let's take a year to learn the Greek alphabet" and he took the book to quiet time and had it memorized in like 2 days. :mellow:

Fluent Forever suggests 30 words a day for an adult. I love the philosophy of *how* to acquire a language with FF, but not the speed. I can see doing French with my English/Spanish reading/speaking child, but we're taking Japanese at a snail's pace. People who know more about it than me say things like stroke order is important and things like that will not be mastered with FF speeds.

Yeah, I thought he hated Athenaze for some reason. This looks like the polar opposite. There are streaming videos, too. Because iPad. :hat:

If he is enthusiastic why not let him run with it? Greek has some really friendly resources.

• Like 1