Menu

Ignore this thread!

I take a weekly injection for my arthritis every Monday night.  Except I usually forget it until I'm ready to go to bed.

So now I'm sitting around waiting for the stupid injector to get to room temperature.  I didn't wait long enough one week and it stung.

It’s part of my search for health. Or death. Whichever comes first.

These two posts belong together.  My weekly search for health by sticking a needle in my thigh.  :glare:

Background noise shouldn't be a problem on the test because you'll have headphones. I believe there are samples on the CLEP site.

Italian has a different rhythm.

I didn't mean background noise in the room. But when watching, say, TV shows, the background noise *in the TV show* can make it hard for me to understand what's being said. Even in Dutch or English or w/e. So, I always have subtitles on when watching TV, and I thought my Spanish listening comprehension kind of sucked compared to my reading comprehension. But, speeches tend to not have any background noise, and I was amazed at how easy it was to follow it. So, maybe my listening comprehension is better than I thought it was. Of course, the question is whether the stuff on the CLEP test has any kind of background noise - I should see if I can find samples, like you said. Probably not, but even a poor recording can make it just so much harder than for most people. 

Seriously? I didn't think we could actually do this. I only know how 1st graders work and John only gets 30 new things a week, most of which are maps and math facts.

I'm pretty sure. I *definitely* remember 50 words for homework, but even if I'm misremembering and it's per week instead of per class, that'd still be 50 words/week, i.e., 10 words/week should be very doable. FWIW, we also had to study vocabulary for French and English in 7th grade, and in 8th grade Latin, French, English, and German. If I hadn't been in the bilingual program (half my classes in 7th and 8th grade were in English), in 8th grade they also would've added Ancient Greek. 

Now, that was the pre-university track... the lowest secondary school track would've only had 2 foreign languages in 7th and 8th grade, but still... I'm sure everyone was supposed to learn way more than 10 foreign vocab words/week total (IIRC, severely dyslexic kids could be excused from one foreign language and therefore only have English, but even then I'd imagine they'd hit more than 10 words/week). 

I think you mentioned 36 weeks, so that'd be 360 words/year. I tried to figure out what Dutch expectations are for foreign languages, and at high school graduation, they about expect B2-C1 level depending on the language. B2-C1 level is something like 3500-4000 words, divide that by 5-6 years, and you're looking at 600+ words/year. A minimum of 2 foreign languages is required to graduate, fwiw (again, I think you can get an exemption if you're severely dyslexic). FWIW, I think that Latin (and maybe Ancient Greek) require relatively many words because they're pretty much recognition only - you don't have to write in Latin or speak Latin or understand spoken Latin, just translate, so they can ask for more words. I did find some site mentioning Latin homework and a lot of people were talking about 20 words/day. Latin is a completely optional subject though, so kids who don't like languages just don't take Latin (which also means they can go through relatively high quantities of vocab).

For foreign languages, I think you need to do more than 36 weeks/year, because you forget stuff so quickly if you don't use it. 

• Like 2

Prednisone makes me feel good.

Amen to that!  Enough prednisone and we could rule the world!!!  (Renai, I don't think your dose is high enough for an evil takeover.)

Good Tuesday Morning!

2 kids start back to piano today.  I fully expect that addition to the schedule to sink us all, lol.  

But first, COFFEE!!!!  

• Like 6

I didn't mean background noise in the room. But when watching, say, TV shows, the background noise *in the TV show* can make it hard for me to understand what's being said. Even in Dutch or English or w/e. So, I always have subtitles on when watching TV, and I thought my Spanish listening comprehension kind of sucked compared to my reading comprehension. But, speeches tend to not have any background noise, and I was amazed at how easy it was to follow it. So, maybe my listening comprehension is better than I thought it was. Of course, the question is whether the stuff on the CLEP test has any kind of background noise - I should see if I can find samples, like you said. Probably not, but even a poor recording can make it just so much harder than for most people. 

I'm pretty sure. I *definitely* remember 50 words for homework, but even if I'm misremembering and it's per week instead of per class, that'd still be 50 words/week, i.e., 10 words/week should be very doable. FWIW, we also had to study vocabulary for French and English in 7th grade, and in 8th grade Latin, French, English, and German. If I hadn't been in the bilingual program (half my classes in 7th and 8th grade were in English), in 8th grade they also would've added Ancient Greek. 

Now, that was the pre-university track... the lowest secondary school track would've only had 2 foreign languages in 7th and 8th grade, but still... I'm sure everyone was supposed to learn way more than 10 foreign vocab words/week total (IIRC, severely dyslexic kids could be excused from one foreign language and therefore only have English, but even then I'd imagine they'd hit more than 10 words/week). 

I think you mentioned 36 weeks, so that'd be 360 words/year. I tried to figure out what Dutch expectations are for foreign languages, and at high school graduation, they about expect B2-C1 level depending on the language. B2-C1 level is something like 3500-4000 words, divide that by 5-6 years, and you're looking at 600+ words/year. A minimum of 2 foreign languages is required to graduate, fwiw (again, I think you can get an exemption if you're severely dyslexic). FWIW, I think that Latin (and maybe Ancient Greek) require relatively many words because they're pretty much recognition only - you don't have to write in Latin or speak Latin or understand spoken Latin, just translate, so they can ask for more words. I did find some site mentioning Latin homework and a lot of people were talking about 20 words/day. Latin is a completely optional subject though, so kids who don't like languages just don't take Latin (which also means they can go through relatively high quantities of vocab).

For foreign languages, I think you need to do more than 36 weeks/year, because you forget stuff so quickly if you don't use it.

We review our memory work almost daily, 7 days a week, all year and it's my intention to have them reading in their target language as soon as possible. John was reading Spanish almost immediately after English and should be reading Greek by the end of this year. As soon as he masters the first Japanese alphabet I'll start drilling vocabulary around some children's books and get that going. Reading is my easy way out when school doesn't happen.

Jean, I bought some bone broth to try this week. Cuz I didn't wanna make it. But now I'm scared. Am I going to hate it? I am quite picky.

I love bone broth! I buy Swanson though and that's probably bad.
  • Like 1

Did I tell you about the Great Trash Contest I'm holding? Scoreboard is up and I'm in the lead. The goal is to see when the trashcan is full, take it out, and put a bag in before the other guy gets there first. Winner gets a chocolate bar of their choice at the end of the week. :D

I have considered that I have an unfair advantage having been so good at this job for years, but I ain't sporting anyone a trash run. Nope. 

• Like 9

Edpo re. memory work only luuknam will find interesting.

Warning. Stat. Pink umbrella drinks for all.

There are 5,341 *total* words in the NT. So, theoretically we can get all of them done in 10 years at the rate of 15 words per week. If I began with pronouns (because David is David, it just looks different) that would take a year and institute regular Greek practice without grammar instruction which is pleasant because we're essentially at the point where he's ready for a middle school text in Greek but not academically ready for the challenges such a text would entail. Hmmm. So. Hmmm. I think I'll make this an option for all of them. It's simple enough.

• Like 3

Ok, I thought I remembered more samples, but here's the link where the sample I found is: https://clep.collegeboard.org/world-languages/spanish-language

And here's the sample: http://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/video_audio/clep/CLEP_spanish_rejoinder.mp3

• Like 1

Good morning!

I've never taken prednisone.

ds13's cello teacher has pneumonia, so we only have orchestra class tonight.

ETA: ds13 is very upset about having no lesson tonight - last week was cancelled due to snow.

Coffee!

Gymnast had her violin lesson yesterday and was so unfocused. I had to tell the teacher that last week she really only had a chance to practice once or twice because of everything that was going on. She wouldn't hold the violin right, couldn't hold the bow right, wasn't playing one note at a time, or could even tell what bar she was playing at all.  :svengo:  There's only two notes. It was nuts. She's repeating that page this week.

• Like 1

Did I tell you about the Great Trash Contest I'm holding? Scoreboard is up and I'm in the lead. The goal is to see when the trashcan is full, take it out, and put a bag in before the other guy gets there first. Winner gets a chocolate bar of their choice at the end of the week. :D

I have considered that I have an unfair advantage having been so good at this job for years, but I ain't sporting anyone a trash run. Nope. 

This is how I do trash:

"DH, the trash stinks."

"DH, the trash stinks."

"DH, the trash is full.  And it stinks."

• Like 4

Edpo re. memory work only luuknam will find interesting.

Warning. Stat. Pink umbrella drinks for all.

There are 5,341 *total* words in the NT. So, theoretically we can get all of them done in 10 years at the rate of 15 words per week. If I began with pronouns (because David is David, it just looks different) that would take a year and institute regular Greek practice without grammar instruction which is pleasant because we're essentially at the point where he's ready for a middle school text in Greek but not academically ready for the challenges such a text would entail. Hmmm. So. Hmmm. I think I'll make this an option for all of them. It's simple enough.

I also find it interesting, considering we're bilingual English/Spanish and learning Chinese and German (with some Japanese on the side). It also helps me figure out about how much vocabulary I can introduce in the Spanish classes I teach as well; I do a combination of nouns and verbs - verbs are learned in one or two conjugations (I, and you).

• Like 2

My dog has been on a diet and exercise regimen since Friday and has not lost any weight yet! I'm ridiculously disappointed. I know it's too soon but I wanted to see some change when I put her on the scale! And she's little, so I know she's probably only supposed to lose at most a half pound a month, but logic doesn't speak to me. I want to see fast results! She may be disappointed when she goes to doggy school and finds there's no more cheese. It'll be low calorie treats or a toy from now on. 

• Like 3

Something dug up my phlox from the flower garden next to my house. It was my biggest one too! :cursing:

I don't know how they did it but there's a big empty hole and no trace of the plant. I hadn't cut it back because we are lazy but mostly because I wanted it to go to seed and spread. Hopefully it had already dropped some seeds and his babies will grow. DH found some big tufts of fur nearby and thinks maybe a neighborhood dog came through and dug a rabbit out and the owners came by and disposed of all rabbit and plant evidence. I'm pretty sure an animal wouldn't have hauled the plant away on its own. And there's only one plant in the patch affected. There's no holes by any of them and they weren't smashed down like something had come through. All the plants have now been cut back.

Oh no!

I love phlox.

I think folks stealing plants from other people's yards is sometimes a thing.

• Like 1

I also find it interesting, considering we're bilingual English/Spanish and learning Chinese and German (with some Japanese on the side). It also helps me figure out about how much vocabulary I can introduce in the Spanish classes I teach as well; I do a combination of nouns and verbs - verbs are learned in one or two conjugations (I, and you).

I like the idea of teaching just a couple of verb conjugation to start with--makes conversation possible sooner.

I've not been able to do nearly as much language teaching as I would like. Mostly it's a trade-off for having so many kids. I had ambitious plans to pass on my own languages to my kids but it just hasn't happened consistently.

• Like 4

I like the idea of teaching just a couple of verb conjugation to start with--makes conversation possible sooner.

I've not been able to do nearly as much language teaching as I would like. Mostly it's a trade-off for having so many kids. I had ambitious plans to pass on my own languages to my kids but it just hasn't happened consistently.

I haven't done well teaching Gymnast reading in Spanish - she kinda can, but isn't fluently reading in either English or Spanish. She's speaking fine, though. My husband only speaks to her in Spanish, most TV is in Spanish, and I speak both, although our homeschool has mostly been in English. It is a big change from when my 18yo was this age - her stronger language was Spanish, and I did the first 4 years or so mostly in Spanish (beginning with PreK, her unofficial K).

The Chinese is outsourced (first it was Lingobus, now taking a class on Outschool). With this new class, she has homework (written and/or online) four days a week. It is teaching the characters, although the teacher has the pinyin available. German is when I remember to do the morning routine in that language. I don't always remember the words...so it hasn't been often lately.

Yes, that is the reason I do "I" and "you" conjugations. I'm teaching it implicitly. In my new Beginning Spanish class, I had them asking each other what was their name and answering in the first class. So they were using both the reflexives "me" and "te," as well as "llamo" and "llamas." I add explicit explanations in the Parent Notes, which I'm just remembering I forgot to do in week 1.  :svengo:

• Like 1

I haven't done well teaching Gymnast reading in Spanish - she kinda can, but isn't fluently reading in either English or Spanish. She's speaking fine, though. My husband only speaks to her in Spanish, most TV is in Spanish, and I speak both, although our homeschool has mostly been in English. It is a big change from when my 18yo was this age - her stronger language was Spanish, and I did the first 4 years or so mostly in Spanish (beginning with PreK, her unofficial K).

The Chinese is outsourced (first it was Lingobus, now taking a class on Outschool). With this new class, she has homework (written and/or online) four days a week. It is teaching the characters, although the teacher has the pinyin available. German is when I remember to do the morning routine in that language. I don't always remember the words...so it hasn't been often lately.

Yes, that is the reason I do "I" and "you" conjugations. I'm teaching it implicitly. In my new Beginning Spanish class, I had them asking each other what was their name and answering in the first class. So they were using both the reflexives "me" and "te," as well as "llamo" and "llamas." I add explicit explanations in the Parent Notes, which I'm just remembering I forgot to do in week 1.  :svengo:

Isn't it normal for bilingual students to read later?

• Like 1

I think our experiences set too high of a standard because a third language is easier than a second in folds. I can only imagine it gets easier from here on out, too. I might only do 10 Greek words but if we begin German or French I might have to do 20 because it all just slips into already learned information so well. And seeing how my smidgen of formal Spanish grammar has affected my Greek studies only makes Latin that much less intimidating.

• Like 1

FWIW, I think that Latin (and maybe Ancient Greek) require relatively many words because they're pretty much recognition only - you don't have to write in Latin or speak Latin or understand spoken Latin, just translate, so they can ask for more words. 

So, as a side note, I wanted to clarify that we were supposed to be able to write the words, and take dictation, but that we weren't supposed to be able to write sentences from scratch, or understand spoken Latin in real time - just write it down and then translate. So, spelling counted. But still, taking dictation and translating is less work to learn than increasing your expressive abilities. 

Unfortunately I do floss. Whenever I get my teeth cleaned the hygenist alwys remarks on how little plaque I have. I think it’s probably the night clenching. If it’s still this bad at my normal appointment in July I might end up shelling out for a mouth guard thingie. :( 💸💸💸

I clench. I hasn't affected my gums at all, just my molars, which are really shallow for my age. The mouth guard thingie was iirc like $150 or something, but it lasts for years.

I'd probably go with a middle school text and modify it to make it simpler. Then and again, I'm not entirely sure how you're planning on approaching it, so, your method might be better. Like you said, you want to get them reading ASAP (I mean reading short texts). If you were to wait a couple of years, using a modified middle school text would be so much easier to do than if you were to try it now, I'd imagine.

Some more thoughts on vocab words from stuff I stumbled across last night: Dutch 12yos know about 17,000 Dutch words. Dutch kids who grow up in homes speaking a foreign language as their first language (usually Arabic or Turkish, neither of which is an Indo-European language) know about 10,000 Dutch words at 12yo. For reference, American 12yos know about 12,000 English words. I'd assume that the more words you know in your native language, the more time you'll have available to learn words in a foreign language, and the more likely you'd be to encounter cognates (of course, the latter only works if the language is in the same language family). 

Also, when I went to Google (in English) about how many vocab words per day, among the first results I came across a bunch of threads where people were talking about 100 foreign vocab words/day. Which is *maybe* doable short term for some people, but that'd be 36,500/year... now, I know there exist people who can memorize the phone book, so, I'm not going to say it's impossible, but for the overwhelming majority of people... yeah, that'd be impossible. 

Gymnast had her violin lesson yesterday and was so unfocused. I had to tell the teacher that last week she really only had a chance to practice once or twice because of everything that was going on. She wouldn't hold the violin right, couldn't hold the bow right, wasn't playing one note at a time, or could even tell what bar she was playing at all.  :svengo:  There's only two notes. It was nuts. She's repeating that page this week.

It gets better. I think Broccoli did the same 4 strings for 2-3 weeks before the teacher added anything else. 

• Like 2

I think our experiences set too high of a standard because a third language is easier than a second in folds. I can only imagine it gets easier from here on out, too. I might only do 10 Greek words but if we begin German or French I might have to do 20 because it all just slips into already learned information so well. And seeing how my smidgen of formal Spanish grammar has affected my Greek studies only makes Latin that much less intimidating.

It gets easier up to a point, unless you're learning entire language families, in which case the benefits probably continue somewhat (e.g. I've learned German and I'm learning Russian - if in the future I wanted to learn, say, Polish, the benefits from German and Russian would probably be pretty big, whereas if I were to learn Navajo... not). I mean, maybe there'd be a slight advantage from encountering even more weird grammatical things the more unrelated languages I were to add, but I doubt it'd really add up to learning them faster. 

• Like 4

Isn't it normal for bilingual students to read later?

It can be. It's mostly speaking that this applies though.  Once a child reads in one language, the transfer is easier. But dyslexia doesn't help when reading more than one language... Dancer had a really hard time, but I worked hard with her and her latest testing doesn't show dyslexia at all (still processing issues though). She wasn't reading fluently until she was about 10 or so.

It is hard being a teacher though and seeing all these other really outstanding kids reading well in more than one language.

• Like 3

Yes, this is true. I still remember when we were watching The Passion of Christ, and at one point thinking how familiar some of the words were. Then realizing it was Latin. Our Spanish background played a lot into that. German reminds me of English.

Chinese is very different though, and I'm curious how this will play out.

• Like 1

Good Morning!!

Since we're talking about languages:

I am fluent in English.  :)

Spanish -- probably about a 2nd grade level

French -- probably toddler level

American Sign Language -- this is harder to judge because I can cheat and fingerspell virtually anything -- maybe 2nd or 3rd grade?

• Like 5

Gymnast had her violin lesson yesterday and was so unfocused. I had to tell the teacher that last week she really only had a chance to practice once or twice because of everything that was going on. She wouldn't hold the violin right, couldn't hold the bow right, wasn't playing one note at a time, or could even tell what bar she was playing at all. :svengo: There's only two notes. It was nuts. She's repeating that page this week.

Awww. I have been to rehearsals where I am so unfocused or tired or whatever that I can't seem to keep my eyes on the right line and I forget what position I'm playing in and whatnot. That reminds me that I need to be giving myself and the kids vit. b drops this week.

• Like 1

ikslo, have you seen First Form Greek? It's Christian but not Koine. Looks like a great precursor to Athenaze.

I don't remember.  I'll check it out.

We have done ZERO foreign language this year.  :(

But I just ordered the Russian* stuff, and finished up a bunch of our MCT grammar, so hopefully this semester will get us back to it.

*I'm not sure he'll like the Russian, but he picked it, so we'll try it. 

• Like 2

Jean, I bought some bone broth to try this week. Cuz I didn't wanna make it. But now I'm scared. Am I going to hate it? I am quite picky.

It’s not that bad. It’s just broth. But it can taste a bit oily. I hear it up in a mug and drink one mug full. Some people actually make soup with it and have the broth as part of their soup. I’m not that motivated to do the work involved.

Oh lookee here.  Another bone broth booyah!

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1

I don't remember.  I'll check it out.

We have done ZERO foreign language this year.  :(

But I just ordered the Russian* stuff, and finished up a bunch of our MCT grammar, so hopefully this semester will get us back to it.

*I'm not sure he'll like the Russian, but he picked it, so we'll try it. 

Which materials did you order?

You poor thing!! I wish I knew where Ellie hid the bunny Slippers!! You deserve them!!

Cough syrup with codeine works really well for me.

Cough syrup with codeine works really well for me.  If I want to sleep the clock around and feel drugged for another time around. :glare:

• Like 1