Menu

Ignore this thread!

I finished my emergency supply, did my taxes, went skiing, finished work reports, and did laundry (some of it) this weekend. I also planned some of the school event I'm leading. I feel slightly weary but I'm committed to getting more done.

Dd probably broke her nose at the start of last week. She stopped a frisbee with her face.

:ohmy:  Poor thing!

There is the most beautiful double rainbow [emoji304] outside. The inner bow has the brightest clearest colors I have ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today was so gorgeous. We had snow, sun, rain, and light clouds.

I tried to nap but I live with a whole herd of galumphing elephants.

Oh me too. Also, it turns out our whole house is a plywood trampoline. The echoes of galumphing elephants are everywhere.

Today was the day to drive Dancer to the airport an hour away. It snowed last night. The roads weren't great. We didn't die. By the time we got to Albuquerque, the roads were dry. I followed GPS's instructions to get to the airport, and she left me in the middle of a road. It was then I realized that, although I've been to the airport twice in 19 years year, I've never driven there. I silently freaked out on the inside. A little may have slipped out.

I found a parking garage. I parked. (Yay me!) We figured out how to get where we were going, while I pointed out important signs to Dancer. Did I mention that Dancer has never flown alone before? I got her as far as security. She has a temp ID, birth certificate, and social security card, and true to AskTSA's word, it got her through, although she had to do a thorough search including pat down. She was wearing leggings, short sleeve shirt, and thin sweater. There was nowhere to hide anything. I watched as far as her getting to where the gates were.

The TSA person who was checking her paperwork was kinda funny. I asked him exactly where Dancer was supposed to go, since I couldn't walk with her. And she was acting freaked out and saying she had anxiety, was stupid, and such. He gave instructions (which were really simple), and said that if she didn't find it, to blame her educator. I was like, hold up - I'M her educator.  He asked if we homeschooled, laughed, and said she'd be alright then.

She got on the plane, got to LA, my sister and fam were in the wrong part of the airport, Dancer had no wi-fi on her phone, so was using someone else's, finally contacted me, I contacted the fam, the picked her up, and she's fine.

The airport is always stressful even when it's unequivocally awesome, like you know the person has landed safely and you can't wait to see them. I would have totally been a stressball.

I don't let my kids eat mushrooms until they are old enough to say and to know to say, "Mommy, my throat feels funny."  Their aunt has gone into anaphylaxis several times due to a mushroom allergy.  :(  Same story with shellfish.

:scared:  I had no idea... though, theoretically there are quite a few foods that could go in that "allergies to this are frequently deadly" category.

• Like 5

I love Samwise Gamgee. I’d take him over Mr. Darcy any day. If I was a single young hobbit lass I’d time my pie making so that I could set it to cool in the window as he walked by and surreptitiously waft the scent out to the road all enticing-like.

I love the fact that Sam Gamgee and Rosie Cotton got married and had a gazillion little hobbit babies together.

If anyone deserved a happy life it was Sam.

• Like 5

Today was the culmination of train wrecks and disasters, which may explain why I was so tired. It started last Friday when Dancer when to get her Real ID. We took several things that were on the list, I dropped her off, and took Gymnast to the library. I went back before they locked the doors (they close the doors at 4pm, but continue to service the people inside), and found out that she hadn't even been called the first time and she'd been there 3 hours! Oh, wait. Actually, I got there after they locked the doors, but Dancer saw me and opened the back door for me. I had to explain to the floor walker that I was her mom, was there to give her ride, and figure out what was going on. The floor walker looked through all her papers, said none of her residency stuff was sufficient, and told her what she needed to do. We went home without her ever being called.

I taught the first of one of my series on Saturday. All was well. Dancer started complaining of pain, but went on with life.

Monday was a holiday, so we had to wait until Tuesday to go back to the MVD with the updated residency stuff. This included having the church use her official name and add the address to the paycheck stub.

Tuesday, I took Dancer to the ER instead of the MVD. We tried to go to an urgent care, but apparently, since she's turned 18, she needs a valid state ID. So, ER it was. She wound up with a bad virus infection and three medications.

Wednesday, we finished getting updated residency stuff, which included going to the community college for a letter, and went to the MVD. We took one look at her number, and decided to go to McD to eat. We got back and she still hadn't been called. She finally got called, and they said that again, her residency stuff wasn't sufficient.

-The supervisor said the college gave the wrong letter. I got on the phone with the community college while standing in front of the teller, and they said the mvd always accepted those letters. Well, they weren't now. What MVD was asking for now was a different department and would take 5-7 days.

-MVD had an issue with the church's paycheck stub. He said how do they know it was for a job? I pointed to the words "Church ministry - Nursery worker." There was an amount listed. There was a date, her name, and the address. The check WAS STILL ATTACHED to the stub. It wasn't enough. He said he'd accept the stub along with a letter on church letterhead saying she was an employee.

-I mentioned about getting a letter from the landlord and started calling him. The supervisor said that a letter from the landlord confirming she lived there wasn't sufficient. His worker on Friday specifically said "a letter - it doesn't even have to be typed." He said it had to be a lease with her name on it.

-Her high school transcript needed a date.

-The state aid account printout was insufficient for a reason I can't remember.

Still Wednesday - I called the church as we were walking out the door. I told Dancer to get a number in case we get back in time to get called. Went to the church; got the letter. Landlord emailed me a letter, but it was the wrong thing. I drove home, updated her transcript with dates and printed it out. I also got the copy of the homeschool Intent form, because Dancer opened her mouth and said, "my mom IS my counselor," and I didn't want to have issues with them saying I could make up anything I wanted. I printed out a different state aid letter that should her name along with the address and date.

We get back to the MVD, and her number had already been called, so she got a new number. We didn't get out of there until 6pm. The ordeal took 7 hours, not including Friday's wasted time. But she walked out with a temp ID. She then went home and collapsed because she's still fighting an infection and is on three different meds.

Thursday is a fog, but I'm pretty sure we accomplished something. I do know that everyday this week, I was teaching English classes from 5am to 7am.

Friday, I told her to pack up her bags as though we were leaving Saturday morning. That's all I remember about Friday, but I do know I wasn't feeling well, and was considering cancelling my Saturday class. Oh, yeah, I made an appointment for Gymnast to get her arm looked at because she was still periodically complaining it hurt. Found out my clinic now has Saturday urgent care! I got her an appointment for Saturday, and cancelled my Saturday class.

Saturday, after my English classes,  I just about slept until 11am. Took Gymnast to the doctor, and while there the doctor heard me breathing and had me check in. We both got referrals for xrays, and she gave me the prednisone script. The family went to go see The Greatest Showman. It was a great movie. While there, Gymnast started getting sick - temp started to rise, eyes watering, nose stuffed, complaining of a headache, sad and pathetic. After the movie, we went to get the rest of Dancer's stuff and went home. I gave Gymnast Tylenol and sent her to bed.

Sunday, Gymnast woke up fine, and it had snowed all night. Ya'll know the story from there.

I don't work my English classes tomorrow and I'm very glad about it.

• Like 6

Good morning! It's the Queen's favorite day! And Bookworm's!

(((Renai))) May the MVD be audited by FAFSA in eternity. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Rain should be coming through in a couple hours. Very mild temps today. Turns out I was supposed to plant garlic in October. Oh well. It's gonna get planted anyway whether it likes it or not!

We have a regular day of lessons today and music lessons/children's choir this afternoon. Boy Scouts and orchestra dress rehearsal for me tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good Morning!

I was actually cheering for the Green Team last night.  Ds17 and i usually root for opposite teams -- he likes it this way -- although there are some teams that I never root for.  I'm not really an Eagles fan, and they are usually one of the teams I never cheer for, but after the Patriots won, I decided that the Eagles had a better chance of beating them.

I was born in Pennsylvania, but I usually consider Philadelphia to be part of New Jersey.  The city just doesn't appeal to me.  I was happy to read the news this morning to find out that The City of Brotherly Shove actually behaved itself last night.  :)

• Like 4

Something dug up my phlox from the flower garden next to my house. It was my biggest one too!  :cursing:

I don't know how they did it but there's a big empty hole and no trace of the plant. I hadn't cut it back because we are lazy but mostly because I wanted it to go to seed and spread. Hopefully it had already dropped some seeds and his babies will grow. DH found some big tufts of fur nearby and thinks maybe a neighborhood dog came through and dug a rabbit out and the owners came by and disposed of all rabbit and plant evidence. I'm pretty sure an animal wouldn't have hauled the plant away on its own. And there's only one plant in the patch affected. There's no holes by any of them and they weren't smashed down like something had come through. All the plants have now been cut back. 

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Monday!!!😩😩😩😩😩

I miss AMJ, too!!!

((Renai)) your week sounds positively frustrating!!

((Paige)) a pox on those who would take phlox!!

((JJM and Critter)) and everyone else who is still dealing with the Plague.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

Something dug up my phlox from the flower garden next to my house. It was my biggest one too!  :cursing:

I don't know how they did it but there's a big empty hole and no trace of the plant. I hadn't cut it back because we are lazy but mostly because I wanted it to go to seed and spread. Hopefully it had already dropped some seeds and his babies will grow. DH found some big tufts of fur nearby and thinks maybe a neighborhood dog came through and dug a rabbit out and the owners came by and disposed of all rabbit and plant evidence. I'm pretty sure an animal wouldn't have hauled the plant away on its own. And there's only one plant in the patch affected. There's no holes by any of them and they weren't smashed down like something had come through. All the plants have now been cut back. 

I can't like this. DH once tried to kill my one and only phlox in my front garden. He was unsuccessful, lucky for him. Who digs plants out of people's flower beds?!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: Renai. How you managed that week without losing your temper is beyond me. Not that it would have helped any, but I would probably have had to slam a door somewhere. 

Agree with Jean on the prednisone. Yes, it has a lot of side effects, but it's good for short-term use to knock inflammation down. 

• Like 3

Lol, remember the guy who picked flowers out of my front yard for his date? Maybe it’s their anniversary and he decided to get her a potted phlox!

I remember that. 

I think both you and Paige should get motion activated sprinklers and set them on stun. :D

• Like 6

:grouphug: , Renai. Ya gotta love bureaucracy. I'm glad that Dancer go safely to her destination, though, and I hope that this is a good thing for her.

As for the plagues, I'm.Still.Coughing. Whatever is floating around is nasty.

Still coughing here, too. But at least the fever stuff seems to have stopped with the Turtles. I've had the sore throat, the cough and the malaise, but no fever.

I don't think a human could have dug it up to transplant at this time of year; the plants are all dormant or dead. Well, actually some have greened up a little with this warm spell, but the plants are mostly brown and dry. It was a big plant too- I now have a hole about 18in in diameter. 

Something dug up my phlox from the flower garden next to my house. It was my biggest one too! :cursing:

People steal plants. :(

Renai that is so frustrating. Some people have such control / power issues.

• Like 1

Oh, snap! I looked it up and apparently winter is the ideal time for transplanting?! I will have to walk around the neighborhood in the spring and see if anyone suddenly has a big, beautiful, pink phlox. 

Yep, I was remembering someone on the chat board once who had plants stolen by the neighbor, I think.  

• Like 1

Yep, I was remembering someone on the chat board once who had plants stolen by the neighbor, I think.

I had a whackadoodle neighbor who came to my door AFTER she cut a huge bouquet of hydrangeas to ask if she could cut them. I was spitting mad. And flabbergasted. The very strong odor of alcohol that rolled off her when I opened the door was an indicator of why, though.

And I had another whackadoodle who stole some plants. Ds had elaborate plans for a plant security system.

• Like 3

I have been reasonably productive this morning. School is done except for the home-ec project (boys are cooking dinner). I did my housekeeping, did some writing and worked on query letter stuff.  I got to use my new steam mop today. I got it as a late Christmas gift, but it arrived the day after my surgery. Then I was sick and didn't clean. It worked pretty well.

• Like 1

It's already lunch and the only schooly thing we've done is read aloud. I should teach the children.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

We have a new system where before or immediately after breakfast John does his independent work. This gives me time to do my housework and deal with Babiness and his brain a chance to rest before we move on to more involved studies. So something like independent work > breakfast and morning time > walk > memory work > chores > seatwork.

• Like 3

Whew, that was crazy. Mondays my FIL volunteers at a local Thrift shop till a little after noon. MIL spends the morning with us. So, we’re just doing our thing at 10:30AM and all the sudden DS says, “here’s grandpaâ€and I’m like, “no, why would Grandpa be here†and I looked and .... here’s Grandpa looking a little flustered. Apparently another volunteer was coughing and hacking really bad and FIL, Who is just getting over the flu, left. He got out of there fast. And then he called and talked to the supervisor and told them the situation and that they needed to get that guy to the doctor. Why don’t people stay home if they’re sick??

• Like 4

Whew, that was crazy. Mondays my FIL volunteers at a local Thrift shop till a little after noon. MIL spends the morning with us. So, we’re just doing our thing at 10:30AM and all the sudden DS says, “here’s grandpaâ€and I’m like, “no, why would Grandpa be here†and I looked and .... here’s Grandpa looking a little flustered. Apparently another volunteer was coughing and hacking really bad and FIL, Who is just getting over the flu, left. He got out of there fast. And then he called and talked to the supervisor and told them the situation and that they needed to get that guy to the doctor. Why don’t people stay home if they’re sick??

Last week, my SIL called in to work healthy. The owner and 2 of the ladies who work there were sick.

It really should be the other way around.

• Like 3

We have a new system where before or immediately after breakfast John does his independent work. This gives me time to do my housework and deal with Babiness and his brain a chance to rest before we move on to more involved studies. So something like independent work > breakfast and morning time > walk > memory work > chores > seatwork.

There is not much he does independently (as far as school work). He does make breakfast while I tend to the animals, which makes my morning easier. But I'm fairly useless until at least my second cuppa, so we tend to start late.

• Like 2

When I worked at white castle I was told I would be fired if I called in sick. Isn't that great?

There is not much he does independently (as far as school work). He does make breakfast while I tend to the animals, which makes my morning easier. But I'm fairly useless until at least my second cuppa, so we tend to start late.

This is so funny. John can do half of his work independently but can't make breakfast.
  • Like 2

I think that I can easily get dd to the point where she can pass the SAT sub test in Japanese.  I had her listen to one audio  question and she passed.  (I purposefully chose one where we had covered the vocabulary so that it would be fair.)   We still have more work to do before she should take the test but we're on the way. 

Cool. 

I've been wondering if I'd be able to pass the listening section on the (Spanish) CLEP. I mean, I'd been thinking I wouldn't be able to, between my mild hearing impairment and probably auditory processing issues (I struggle with background noise a lot more than most people), but then a little while back DW was sitting on the couch listening to some EU parliamentarian talking about the need for unity etc on her phone, and I was on the other side of the couch, and listened along and understood almost all of it. DW on the other hand, thought it was in Italian until she realized I was listening along.  :lol:

(she blamed it on the guy having a weird accent, what with her being from South Texas)

• Like 2

Was garlic part of the story?  I don't remember that part. 

Yes. Rapunzel's mom, while pregnant, craved the Rapunzel (some kind of garlic) which was growing in the next door neighbor's yard. She begged her husband to get her some, but he refused, because the neighbor was a witch. Anyway, after a bunch of begging and claiming she really needed it, he finally consented and climbed over the wall and picked some for his wife. The second night he did that, the witch caught him, and the only way she'd let him escape alive was if he'd give her the baby when the baby was born. Then the witch named the baby Rapunzel after the stolen garlic, and locked her into a tower, and she got long hair, etc, then a prince came along, then the witch cut off Rapunzel's hair and banished her to a desert, let the prince climb off the cut-off hair until he was nearly to the top of the tower and then made him fall, so he hit his head really hard and lost his eye sight, then he wandered around as a blind man for many years, until he came to a desert where he heard someone singing, and then they were reunited and when Rapunzel's tears fell on his eyes he became able to see again. And they lived happily ever after. 

• Like 6

Yes. Rapunzel's mom, while pregnant, craved the Rapunzel (some kind of garlic) which was growing in the next door neighbor's yard. She begged her husband to get her some, but he refused, because the neighbor was a witch. Anyway, after a bunch of begging and claiming she really needed it, he finally consented and climbed over the wall and picked some for his wife. The second night he did that, the witch caught him, and the only way she'd let him escape alive was if he'd give her the baby when the baby was born. Then the witch named the baby Rapunzel after the stolen garlic, and locked her into a tower, and she got long hair, etc, then a prince came along, then the witch cut off Rapunzel's hair and banished her to a desert, let the prince climb off the cut-off hair until he was nearly to the top of the tower and then made him fall, so he hit his head really hard and lost his eye sight, then he wandered around as a blind man for many years, until he came to a desert where he heard someone singing, and then they were reunited and when Rapunzel's tears fell on his eyes he became able to see again. And they lived happily ever after. 

Wow, all I remember was a girl locked in a tower and a prince climbing up her hair! 

• Like 1

The entire NT vocabulary aside from proper nouns and the Hapax Legomena (words that only appear once) can be memorized from 3rd to 12th grade at the rate of 10 words a week in 36 weeks a year.

I'm reconsidering our Greek sequence and was wondering if the kids could memorize all NT vocabulary. 

When I took Latin in 7th & 8th grade they expectation was about 50 words per class (well, per homework for a class), so, about 150/week. IOW, yes, this should be very doable. 

All the ones I’ve read said Rapunzel was a type of lettuce.

Garlic while pregnant. 🤢

It's supposed to be Rampion:

Campanula rapunculus, common name rampion bellflower,[1] rampion, or rover bellflower, is a species of bellflower (Campanula) in the family Campanulaceae.[2]

This species was once widely grown in Europe for its leaves, which were used like spinach, and its parsnip-like root, which was used like a radish.[3] The Brothers Grimm's tale Rapunzel took its name from this plant.

So, not really garlic - but I'm pretty sure that it was referred to as a kind of garlic in the version I grew up with, and they talked about eating the roots.

• Like 1