Menu

Ignore this thread!

I ketchupped.

Kitty got a haircut yesterday and made sure to hide under the bed this morning in case somebody thought she should go to the vet two days in a row. But after DH went to work, she came out for school.

We're expecting some snow tomorrow. I could do without it.

• Like 3

Confession: I am starting to seriously freak out about the whole college prep/admission thing. I am terrified and feel completely unprepared and unqualified. I'm the only person in my family who ever went to college, DH didn't, I only went because I applied with a friend. I have no freaking idea what I am doing and am in no way qualified to advise my child.

I think I'm hyperventilating.

Please remind me that I will survive this, and that I am at least as good as the goofballs at our local public school who actually know less than I do. For reals.

• Like 4

Confession: I am starting to seriously freak out about the whole college prep/admission thing. I am terrified and feel completely unprepared and unqualified. I'm the only person in my family who ever went to college, DH didn't, I only went because I applied with a friend. I have no freaking idea what I am doing and am in no way qualified to advise my child.

Please remind me that I will survive this, and that I am at least as good as the goofballs at our local public school who actually know less than I do. For reals.

I'm being followed by a puppy on Instagram. Maybe he can help.

https://www.instagram.com/odin_srd/

• Like 4

Find a few relatively close colleges and universities and go to their high school welcome days. They all have them. College admissions people will talk to you and you get a tour of the campus and sometimes get to tour or talk with departments your child is interested in. It will help it not seem so scary and will give short people a feel for the atmosphere of campuses of different sizes and locations, etc. Especially with oldest ds, there were plenty of people who were more than willing to hold my hand and talk through things like homeschool transcripts and such. (Though our umbrella school does our transcripts, so that was pretty easy.)

• Like 2

Twilight Sparkle was doing her Draw Write Now, where they show you how to draw a mommy bird feeding her baby birds. She brings me a lovely, colorful picture of that with something in the background. What’s that? An alien spaceship abducting a cat to study it!!! 😂

😂 creative kid!!

Twilight Sparkle was doing her Draw Write Now, where they show you how to draw a mommy bird feeding her baby birds. She brings me a lovely, colorful picture of that with something in the background. What’s that? An alien spaceship abducting a cat to study it!!! 😂

I like the way that child thinks. Have you introduced her to bazookas yet?

• Like 2

I can’t imagine plenty of good colleges wouldn’t be salivating over a great kid like JoJo.

:001_wub:

Find a few relatively close colleges and universities and go to their high school welcome days. They all have them. College admissions people will talk to you and you get a tour of the campus and sometimes get to tour or talk with departments your child is interested in. It will help it not seem so scary and will give short people a feel for the atmosphere of campuses of different sizes and locations, etc. Especially with oldest ds, there were plenty of people who were more than willing to hold my hand and talk through things like homeschool transcripts and such. (Though our umbrella school does our transcripts, so that was pretty easy.)

Thank you, Susan. I think my biggest issue right now is sorting. My main goal is to get her a 4-year degree with no debt. I had her sign up for the College Board search thing, and she has indeed been bombarded with emails. The problem is that those places are EXPENSIVE and seem to not offer much merit aid (we're in the middle; we're too rich for aid, but we can't afford to pay the freight absent mortgaging the house which ain't happening.)  So my poor kid gets to look at the ads for all the bright shiny schools we can't afford. :sad:

Closer to home, there are a few schools in the Big City about 2 ours away, but she does NOT want to live there. And I don't blame her; it's pretty gross. Our state flagship and a neighboring state U are about 3-4 hours south, but right now at least, she doesn't think she wants to go there. It's going to be our first visit, though, probably next month, and I'm hoping it'll change her mind.

She is interested in UW, but there's little merit aid and it's freaking expensive.

The schools that I've found that offer good merit aid and offer her probable major (although she really doesn't know at this point) are really far away. And there's a million schools. And then I get overwhelmed. And want to curl into a fetal position and suck my thumb. And now I'm back to hyperventilating.

Susan, I need you to come west and hold my hand.

• Like 1

My child applied by accident.  He still got in. (Not true for every college I'm sure but all hope is not lost.)

• Like 5

My child applied by accident.  He still got in. (Not true for every college I'm sure but all hope is not lost.)

Which I love! :001_wub:  

We're a bit limited here, though. Jo is fabulous and, in many ways, is very mature. But more in her thinking ability than in her life skills, if you know what I mean. Mostly, she's really, really 15; a fabulous 15, but 15. (Which is, of course, absolutely okay for a 15 year old.) I'd be perfectly fine with starting at community college and giving her a little more growing up time. But that's an hour and a half away. In the summer. So any form of college means going away.

Sigh. And I do all my learning on these boards, and some of the high school/college board moms and students are a bit...intense.  My child is wonderful and very bright, but she's very much still a kid. She likes school well enough, but she'd rather good off and play the Sims, mostly.

Oh, and I might be a wee bit of a worrier. :wacko:

• Like 3

Which I love! :001_wub:

We're a bit limited here, though. Jo is fabulous and, in many ways, is very mature. But more in her thinking ability than in her life skills, if you know what I mean. Mostly, she's really, really 15; a fabulous 15, but 15. (Which is, of course, absolutely okay for a 15 year old.) I'd be perfectly fine with starting at community college and giving her a little more growing up time. But that's an hour and a half away. In the summer. So any form of college means going away.

Sigh. And I do all my learning on these boards, and some of the high school/college board moms and students are a bit...intense.  My child is wonderful and very bright, but she's very much still a kid. She likes school well enough, but she'd rather good off and play the Sims, mostly.

Oh, and I might be a wee bit of a worrier. :wacko:

Is she going to college at 15?  (I might have missed something somewhere.) 

We didn't get any snow, but other areas of the state did. Therefore, DH gets an extra day off to take this spring. I don't know why it works that way, but he isn't complaining. My appointment for a recheck got bumped to later this afternoon. I felt like asking, "Do you just need to take out sutures and pull the drain? Cause I can do that..."

• Like 5

And our state flagship school is not exactly selective...one of my friends in hs fell asleep in the middle of the ACT, was a C student, and still got in. But on the other hand if you are really smart and a hard worker you can really get a good start for yourself there. My cousin went there and went on to get a doctorate in microbiology and is doing Alzheimer’s research now.

Honestly, I really don't think a highly selective school would be a good fit for her anyway. She does have the test scores, but she's just not that into in. I think she really wants to wallow in the whole college experience, with academics being a necessity that must be endured to get to the good stuff! :laugh:

As for our flagship, I agree that one can find great opportunities there. AND they offer great merit aid. Barring a testing disaster next fall, she should qualify for a full-ride there. (And it's within driving distance. Not that mommy would really like baby withing driving distance, or anything. :o )

Thank you all for letting me talk this out. I really have been stressing about it.

• Like 3

God can do a lot of things in a couple of years.  You might have some options that you didn't even think of. 

You are absolutely right, my wise friend. Mostly I think I'm fighting the demon in my head that keeps whispering that I'm going to do something to mess up her chances. At what, I don't really know.

You are absolutely right, my wise friend. Mostly I think I'm fighting the demon in my head that keeps whispering that I'm going to do something to mess up her chances. At what, I don't really know.

Good thing it doesn't all depend on you.  ;)  I rarely go to the high school board during these years I've taught my high schoolers at home.  I only go for specific questions and have notifications set to alert me on my email when they reply to my threads there.  I do that because I get intimidated and overwhelmed as well. 

You are doing your best to provide JoJo a good education at her level that fits her.  You have given her opportunities in the summer to spread her wings and soar.  Will you provide every single thing that is available educationally in the world?  No.  But she doesn't need that.  God can work with what the mom He gave her, provided her.   You are dedicated.  You're not lazy.  But most importantly, you love her.  And that goes a very long way to not messing up her chances. 

• Like 7

What kind of beans?

Dark red kidney.  :eek:  They were all I had already cooked. I think something white would blend in better. 

Paige, if I tried to eat all the things on your list, I'd explode. And I'm a fat broad with a hearty appetite. :ohmy:

It's not so bad if I stick to the list and plan for it with a salad for lunch. It's when I skip breakfast and go off list that it's hard. I only have some beverages, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 bean, and 2 grains left to go today. I can easily fit that into dinner and maybe a small snack. I think I could reduce some of the portion sizes too. I don't need the same portions as a large man. 

• Like 2

Good thing it doesn't all depend on you.  ;)  I rarely go to the high school board during these years I've taught my high schoolers at home.  I only go for specific questions and have notifications set to alert me on my email when they reply to my threads there.  I do that because I get intimidated and overwhelmed as well. 

You are doing your best to provide JoJo a good education at her level that fits her.  You have given her opportunities in the summer to spread her wings and soar.  Will you provide every single thing that is available educationally in the world?  No.  But she doesn't need that.  God can work with what the mom He gave her, provided her.   You are dedicated.  You're not lazy.  But most importantly, you love her.  And that goes a very long way to not messing up her chances. 

You made me cry. Thanks, friend. :001_wub:

• Like 5

Dark red kidney.  :eek:  They were all I had already cooked. I think something white would blend in better. 

It's not so bad if I stick to the list and plan for it with a salad for lunch. It's when I skip breakfast and go off list that it's hard. I only have some beverages, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 bean, and 2 grains left to go today. I can easily fit that into dinner and maybe a small snack. I think I could reduce some of the portion sizes too. I don't need the same portions as a large man. 

Dh eats mashed kidney beans with (almond) milk sometimes for breakfast.  But he's Filipino and they eat some weird to us combinations 

• Like 1

:iagree:

Definitely be careful about the highschool board.  BUT, some threads there have helped me adjust my expectations.  Between the senior guidance counselor at my oldest's highschool (a private school, fwiw, she was formerly an admissions counselor at two different universities - so very knowledgeable), and the highschool board here, I've learned that acceptances and aid don't grow on trees as much as they used to.  Our state university was everybody's fall back choice back in the day (it's local to us), but now an average ACT score is no guarantee you'll even be accepted there.  The merit aid it gives now compared to then is nearly non existent.  When our kids were little, everyone thought - you homeschool, you get good scores, you'll have ALL kinds of offers.  (By the way, some convention speakers who sell test prep services have perpetuated that myth).  It's just not that way.  There have been some helpful threads on the board that helped me adjust expectations and see how others dealt with the reality they faced - trying to do the best for their kids while facing financial limitations.  

• Like 1

You have the power of the Bazooka, and the Flamethrower, and the Duct Tape. But not so much on the Messing Up of Chances. (I still worry about this, myself, with all my kids. But the Wise Jean is helping me understand.)

• Like 5

I â¤ï¸ Twilight Sparkle. She rocks.

• Like 2

Cancel both and stay home. As Junie says, #stopthemadness

I canceled music. We'll still go to dentist. Probably. 

Aren't you in NY?

Seattle proper is about 700,000. The "metro area" includes an area larger than many countries, including two military bases (in Everett, its own city, and outside of Tacoma, also its own city). It takes about two hours in zero traffic to get from one end of the statistical metro area to the other. It has three counties in it!

The Buffalo 'metro' area includes Niagara Falls. Buffalo proper has like a quarter million people, metro just over a million. Like Jean said, NYS, not NYC. Second biggest city in NYS though (but mind the gap, lol). Used the be the 15th largest city in the US, now is the 81st biggest city in the US (though really, counting city proper is kind of pointless since the suburban sprawl - not sure how we're ranked if you were to count reasonable metro areas (i.e. Seattle without Tacoma, and Buffalo without Niagara Falls). 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

All painting homework caught up. All projects completed, pressed and reference drawings put away for class on Thursday. I need to plan school for tomorrow if anything is going to get done. Maybe we'll just listen to our French book, do a Latin lesson and a math lesson and call it good.

• Like 1

:iagree:

Definitely be careful about the highschool board.  BUT, some threads there have helped me adjust my expectations.  Between the senior guidance counselor at my oldest's highschool (a private school, fwiw, she was formerly an admissions counselor at two different universities - so very knowledgeable), and the highschool board here, I've learned that acceptances and aid don't grow on trees as much as they used to.  Our state university was everybody's fall back choice back in the day (it's local to us), but now an average ACT score is no guarantee you'll even be accepted there.  The merit aid it gives now compared to then is nearly non existent.  When our kids were little, everyone thought - you homeschool, you get good scores, you'll have ALL kinds of offers.  (By the way, some convention speakers who sell test prep services have perpetuated that myth).  It's just not that way.  There have been some helpful threads on the board that helped me adjust expectations and see how others dealt with the reality they faced - trying to do the best for their kids while facing financial limitations.  

I know, right? On the one hand, everything I know about college admissions I learned there (and, it turns out, I know waaaaaay more than the guidance counselor at the local high schoolwith whom I have spoken. :glare: ) But, holy carp! Talk about rigorous and competitive! If I tried to mandate half of what people ask "is this enough?" about, I'd have an armed insurrection around here!

• Like 4

I know, right? On the one hand, everything I know about college admissions I learned there (and, it turns out, I know waaaaaay more than the guidance counselor at the local high schoolwith whom I have spoken. :glare: ) But, holy carp! Talk about rigorous and competitive! If I tried to mandate half of what people ask "is this enough?" about, I'd have an armed insurrection around here!

Yes, the high school board is quite insane about "what is enough."  It's as if every single credit should take enough time to be counted as two credits, but should only be reported as one.  Definitely disregard the board about how much is enough.  

• Like 2

That's what you get for waving that bazooka around - something something you're supposed to model good behavior or something. 

• Like 6