Menu

Ignore this thread!

So, last night we were at my uncle’s house. Had a very nice evening. The food was delicious, even though it was a strange combination - grilled shrimp, pulled pork sandwiches, mashed potatoes and gravy, roasted cauliflower, braised Brussels sprouts and 2 bowls of slaw - one with creamy dressing and one with a vinaigrette. And then we had music - Uncle on viola, Aunt on piano, cousin on oboe and her DH on bassoon. They played an arrangement of Greensleeves that was just amazing.

DH and I were up past midnight wrapping presents and I slept terribly after that. Don’t know why. I’ll be glad when all this Christmas is over. It’s been good, but i’ve Eaten waaaay too much, and I just want to be left alone for a couple days. Or weeks.😜

• Like 6

Good morning. Merry Christmas! Ho ho ho! [emoji318]

My fancy oven is set to turn on by itself at 8 am so of course I am awake to make sure that it does.

My fatigue is a real drag on holidays. (Literally- I’m dragging). Hopefully I will get through the day. Normally we have extended family Christmas on Christmas Eve and then our Christmas on Christmas morning but today it is all on one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I live in Texas so it works for me. I could see how y'all folks with seasons might have trouble.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Many (if not most) ceiling fans have a way to reverse their spin so they draw air up instead of blowing it down.  This can be helpful in moving warm air collecting at the ceiling down the walls and across the floor, helping to more evenly heat a room.

No need to turn off the fans.  Reverse them and keep them moving!  They collect less dust when moving.

Oh look, a booyah!  Discovered several days after the fact.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

When he was 2 he had pink Hello Kitty ones, because he wanted pink Hello Kitty snow boots. Why do kids eventually get the memo that pink and Elsa and Anna and all of that stuff is for girls? (these are blue, btw, and the zipper is hard to pull up, but I.don't.care... it's too late in the season for me to go running around trying more stores)

My now 4-year-old nephew LOVED Elsa, and wanted nothing more than his own Elsa doll when he was younger.  He got lots of Elsa stuff, including a soft doll almost as big as he was.  He was ecstatic!

Now he's in a Batman and Wookie phase, but he's still a sucker for anything Elsa.

• Like 4

Many (if not most) ceiling fans have a way to reverse their spin so they draw air up instead of blowing it down. This can be helpful in moving warm air collecting at the ceiling down the walls and across the floor, helping to more evenly heat a room.

No need to turn off the fans. Reverse them and keep them moving! They collect less dust when moving.

This is what we do. Works well, esp. since we have high ceilings.
  • Like 1

The grocery store cooked our meat.  Rotisserie chicken.  I just have to pull the meat off the bones and heat it up.

Dh and this week's Meal Helper will make Stove Top and instant mashed potatoes.

Jellied cranberry sauce.  Store-baked pie.  

Done and Yummy.

• Like 5

I didn't want to bake, but I decided I wanted to experiment with some Arkansas Black Apples and a pandowdy that got gussied up for Christmas. If it smells and looks good I might take it out to share. 

The cherry pie got gnawed down to the last two pieces as of last night. 

• Like 2

How much snow did y'all get over there, Susan? Sort of jealous. It's been a while since we had a good snow here.

There was about 5 inches piled on the picnic table this morning. It's snowing off an on so there may be a bit more. It's a nice wet snow, so perfect for snowmen! Dh asked if I wanted to hike to the top of the mountain tomorrow. Uh, with no boots, no gloves and a high temp of 3? Sorry, not this time! :D

• Like 5

Merry Christmas, friends!

Presents are opened, biscuits and gravy have been consumed, and I shall now suit up and tend to the ponies (I put them to bed last night with boatloads of hay, so they're aren't starving, no matter what Spritzer says; he just wants his hot cereal, the spoiled pony.)

I hope you all have a blessed day!

• Like 8

Now that I've had lunch, written about 500 words and made a pie, I think I'm ready for my hot bath and a nap.

ETA: I just tasted a little bit of the pie. I'm pretty sure it's poison. You know, I thought those apples looked like they came from the wrong kind of orchard. Maybe I should just keep it here to make sure nobody ends up sleeping in a glass casket on the side of a mountain for a couple of years.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

Many (if not most) ceiling fans have a way to reverse their spin so they draw air up instead of blowing it down.  This can be helpful in moving warm air collecting at the ceiling down the walls and across the floor, helping to more evenly heat a room.

No need to turn off the fans.  Reverse them and keep them moving!  They collect less dust when moving.

Yeah, we've tried that - it does NOT help - any air movement causes wind chill, so, in our experience it's better to leave the ceiling fans off in winter. Also, I don't agree they collect more dust - when they're spinning, they collect dust on the edge, whereas while still they collect dust on top, but, less dust makes it all the way up to where the fans are, and, you kind of only have to dust them off before using, instead of every couple of months or w/e.

These things probably depend on room dimensions, amount of dust (and maybe dust particle size), maybe outside temperature, and who knows what.

• Like 1

I made up a whole slew of haiku in the middle of the night. Mostly on the theme of mice:

Scritchy scratchy scritch.

Please don't come so near my head.

Go party elsewhere.

The mice keep coming

They creep along in the dark.

At least it's not snakes.

I can't remember most of them, but they were brilliant and kept me from a full blown panic attack. :)

• Like 7

Looks like we have a white xmas too. Not much though. And I'm not sure if they decided they just don't need to plow the road, or if the wind just blew snow all over the road again. It's very windy. 30mph with 50mph gusts. It's sunny, but the feels like is 20 degrees colder than the actual temp. It looks so nice for a walk... but windy feels like 4F with blowing snow isn't that exciting. 

• Like 3

We Christmassed. The boys are playing with their new treasures. There was one gift that I didn't get Mal that apparently he really wanted. I didn't realize it was one of his most wanted. He was a little disappointed, but very graceful and appreciative for the things he did get. That's one good thing about him having his birthday next month. I can make sure he gets it then.

• Like 6

Since I am making dinner and MIL is mostly staying in her room, I am taking the opportunity to Konmari the pantry cabinet and spice drawers. Apparently, mice *really* like shredded coconut and rice pilaf mix. The dishes have been sanitized and the furry visitors' mess cleaned up and vintage foods thrown out.

• Like 7

Since I am making dinner and MIL is mostly staying in her room, I am taking the opportunity to Konmari the pantry cabinet and spice drawers. Apparently, mice *really* like shredded coconut and rice pilaf mix. The dishes have been sanitized and the furry visitors' mess cleaned up and vintage foods thrown out.

:scared:

And that's sure to count as the best Christmas present ever.

• Like 2

We Christmassed. The boys are playing with their new treasures. There was one gift that I didn't get Mal that apparently he really wanted. I didn't realize it was one of his most wanted. He was a little disappointed, but very graceful and appreciative for the things he did get. That's one good thing about him having his birthday next month. I can make sure he gets it then.

Yay for January birthdays and sweet little boys.   :hurray:

:grouphug:  and  :ack2:   Please let me know when you're packed up in the car on the way home.  I will feel much better!  

• Like 4

Broccoli: "Daddy, is Santa even real?"

[conversation about how to figure out if Santa is real or not]

So far, plans include checking for fingerprints, DNA evidence, and using hidden cameras. 

ETA: next year of course, since it'd be hard to do these this year, since the presents are already contaminated with our fingerprints and DNA from after unwrapping them, it'd be hard to get Santa's fingerprints and DNA at this point, and it's too late for hidden cameras.

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 5

Our Cheater's Christmas Dinner was really good.  :)  We had to get out a second can of cranberry sauce and we steamed some green beans in the microwave last minute.  And we waited on the pie.  That will be consumed later this evening.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

We had a lot of hits under the Christmas tree this year.

Dd13 is thrilled with her Star Wars comforter.

Dd15 got a really large colored pencil set.

Dd11 got a huge Olaf pillow.

There were lots of other great gifts, but these seem to be the favorites.

• Like 5

Dinner is eaten but not cleaned up. I'm going to put dh and the kids in charge of that. The turkey turned out pretty well. Chocolate cake and cookies and Christmas crackers later.

During dinner, FIL described in great detail the wound (womb 😄) on his foot and how the doctor peels off the dead skin with her hands. :ack2: :D

• Like 2

Will all cats hunt mice? If I happened across a kitten or cat and accidentally left it in the house here, what are the chances it will have an effect on the mouse population?

(I'm kidding, mostly)

A Kitty Cat Booyah!

Deck the halls with cows and holly,

Boo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ya!

'Tis the season to eat red velvet cake,

Dawn we now our strechy pa-ants,

Wow I didn't know this song referenced booze,

Happy birthday Jesus!

(by Slache, 2016)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

Broccoli: "Daddy, is Santa even real?"

[conversation about how to figure out if Santa is real or not]

So far, plans include checking for fingerprints, DNA evidence, and using hidden cameras. 

ETA: next year of course, since it'd be hard to do these this year, since the presents are already contaminated with our fingerprints and DNA from after unwrapping them, it'd be hard to get Santa's fingerprints and DNA at this point, and it's too late for hidden cameras.

This reminds me of a good story.  Feel free to use any of this if it helps you.  Maybe 10 years ago?  Our oldest one or two were questioning Santa.  (I would have been glad to have never begun the myth, but dh loves all kinds of celebrations and holidays, and wanted them to believe longer.)  There was talk of setting up the cam-corder (yes, a cam-corder)  to catch the red-man in action.  So, when dh's brother visited, he brought a Santa suit with him and we made sure the room was set up as it would be Christmas Eve (we already had the tree up - I think he was visiting for Thanksgiving).  So after the kids were in bed we staged a Christmas and filmed brother in law in the Santa suit.  Then on the actual Christmas Eve we made sure the room looked the exact same and dh made a big deal of setting up cam corder, etc. to prove to kids Santa was real.  The next morning, he showed them the footage of BIL in the suit.  I think they believed for another year or two at least.   :laugh:

• Like 6

This reminds me of a good story. Feel free to use any of this if it helps you. Maybe 10 years ago? Our oldest one or two were questioning Santa. (I would have been glad to have never begun the myth, but dh loves all kinds of celebrations and holidays, and wanted them to believe longer.) There was talk of setting up the cam-corder (yes, a cam-corder) to catch the red-man in action. So, when dh's brother visited, he brought a Santa suit with him and we made sure the room was set up as it would be Christmas Eve (we already had the tree up - I think he was visiting for Thanksgiving). So after the kids were in bed we staged a Christmas and filmed brother in law in the Santa suit. Then on the actual Christmas Eve we made sure the room looked the exact same and dh made a big deal of setting up cam corder, etc. to prove to kids Santa was real. The next morning, he showed them the footage of BIL in the suit. I think they believed for another year or two at least. :laugh:

Whoa! That's amazing!

• Like 1