Menu

Ignore this thread!

No suggestions wrt the copay money, but maybe a friend and you could trade babysitting duties a couple of hours a week. Or some therapists have evening or weekend hours.

This is actually a really good idea. Cultivating friendships around you is something you can proactively do to help build a good support network.

• Like 2

Time to put away Halloween stuff and take out Thanksgiving stuff! Also, I need to put away my summer clothes and get the winter clothes (sweaters, mostly) into my drawer. My closet needs a good cleaning out, but I think I'll wait 'til spring. Someone remind me, k?

Oh, that's right. I need to take my Halloween wreath down and put my autumn wreath up. I did decorate for generic autumn a couple weeks ago.

Warning - EdPo:

I did get some encouragement from a friend of mine last night.  She teaches chemistry at a local junior college. She said the kids coming in to her have some atrocious math skills.  Which made me think that my kid isn't the only one who struggles in math, but he's lucky enough that his teacher doesn't just pass him along to the next grade, which is what a lot of public schools do, and then they get to JC not knowing anything. His teacher forces him to learn the stuff and keeps him at the appropriate grade level until understanding comes. And as I continue on teaching this kid, I am learning that maturity counts for a lot. I suppose I could have gotten him tested (and I am not discounting testing), but he seems to be doing a lot better now that he's a little older. I see understanding and progress.

• Like 5

The only thing I wouldn't like about living in Central America is the lack of seasons.

Well, that probably wouldn't be the only thing. There would actually probably be a ton of things. But that is one thing that comes to mind right now.

Avocados are all I care about,

And by "we" she means the ITT, right? :D

Yes.

• Like 2

I've been investigating a condition DH was just diagnosed with. I may be back asking for help with food restrictions--don't know yet. But probably. I'm already used to no wheat and no soy, but no milk and no eggs is going to make cooking really, really interesting.

Hm, my dad said that there's a Legoland in Ulm (in Germany, near the Austrian border), and that allegedly it's bigger than the one in Denmark anyway (he mentioned the latter after I complained that it's not the original one :lol: - not that bigger is necessarily better... one reason I don't want to go to Disney is that it's too big afaik). So, I Googled Legoland, and apparently New York should get one in 2020. Which of course would still be a 5+hour drive each way from where we live, so, might as well go to Denmark or Germany or w/e*. So, maybe we'll do a week in Austria and then do a day of Legoland on the way to NL. Since it sounds like DW's raise is just about the cost of going to Europe again anyway, so, that makes sense, right? There are quite a lot of logistics to plan though... it sounds like my aunt is thinking of selling her camper, so, who knows what we'll be doing. 

*Also, I think my kids will have a much more suitable age for Legoland this coming summer than in 2020. 

• Like 4

Btw, I'm thinking of renting a house in Austria for a week. Y'all are welcome to meet me there (btw, my parents are supposed to be there too). That said, I'm not meeting anyone in Seattle in order to fly to NL or Austria (it hasn't been decided yet whether we fly to NL and then drive to Austria or fly to Austria... tbt).

• Like 5

I am now <800 books (at least in librarything).  I cut about 300 from my collection last night, and I feel like I'm pretty barebones in homeschooling stuff now. I have one shelf/grade and then 3 shelves of miscellaneous reference encyclopedias, math instruction guides, etc. I'm kind of appalled that I've cut this many books and I've still got this many.  

Half Price books offered me $30 for about 300 books. I'm trying not to cry too much.

• Like 2

Luuknaam, well, after you get carjacked in Tamaulipas, you have to walk.

My neighbors are all from Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon and Coahuila.  The stories they tell.....  :scared:  :crying:

In all seriousness, did you select the toll road option? It's your only hope of going close to the speed limit.

Yes, that's with tolls. Without tolls, it would take about that long just to get out of NYS. 

• Like 2

FWIW, unless Mexican carjackers are idiots, stealing a car that almost nobody in Mexico has and that isn't worth much is probably a pretty dumb idea. Apparently Kias were quite unpopular in Mexico, though they did just open a factory there last year... but, stealing a 2009 Rio... maybe not the best choice when there are other cars to jack. 

The main concern, of course, is that there might be some idiots who will only look at the NY plates on it. 

Not that we have plans to actually drive to Nicaragua in the foreseeable future. 

(It's my understanding that car thieves either steal really common cars, because it's easy to sell them whole or for parts, or steal really expensive cars (different thieves, obviously) - stealing an uncommon car that's old and isn't worth much is just not a typical target)

I am now <800 books (at least in librarything).  I cut about 300 from my collection last night, and I feel like I'm pretty barebones in homeschooling stuff now. I have one shelf/grade and then 3 shelves of miscellaneous reference encyclopedias, math instruction guides, etc. I'm kind of appalled that I've cut this many books and I've still got this many.  

Half Price books offered me $30 for about 300 books. I'm trying not to cry too much.

Donate to the library!

He can tell us how to get there. :)

It's the Apologia book. He loves it.

Weird factoid.  Last year when DD took the PSAT (as a freshman), we had her provide an email address we specifically set up for that purpose, expecting a barrage of messages. Nope. She got some, but nothing near the volume we had been told to expect.  Since the beginning of THIS school year, however, things have ramped up. Doesn't that seem odd? Why now?

Costa Rica is much prettier than the moon and also has oxygen.

Just got off the phone with the pulmonary clinic getting an rx refill and rescheduling an appointment. Apparently their computer system is changing tomorrow so it was a bit complicated getting all the information down. I couldn't figure out why the lady kept saying "coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee..." except that maybe it's been a really long and complicated day for her. Then I realized she was saying "copy copy copy" (copying the info from one page to another). :D

• Like 7