Menu

Ignore this thread!

By "break" I mean time to bolt down a bite, change over the laundry, load the lunch dishes, try to conquer one room on the cleaning list, generally try to stay ahead of the chaos.

ETA: Also move the truck so that the boys can shoot hoops over their "break."

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

By "break" I mean time to bolt down a bite, change over the laundry, load the lunch dishes, try to conquer one room on the cleaning list, generally try to stay ahead of the chaos.

ETA: Also move the truck so that the boys can shoot hoops over their "break."

Draw even with the chaos?

Catch up with the chaos?

At least catch a glimpse of the chaos?

How about the dust cloud of the chaos?

Nope. We'll just have to concede that it's got me beat, and I need to drop into claiming company.

• Like 4

I am about to snap. The car is in the shop. Dd knew that it would be there all day. I talked to her about bringing her school work- especially all her reading assignments. She packed a backpack. I didn't know until we got here that she packed one school book and none of the books with reading assignments. She's bored. She being annoying. I'm about ready to suggest playing in traffic. (Ok - not really. ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Spanish lovers, does Destinos have anything to bring a blush to the cheek of an 11yo maiden?

We only got halfway, but it’s pretty clean. How easily does 11yo blush? I recall a bit of romance and kissing but very tame. There’s an episode or 2 about a flirtatious “Don Juan,†who’d I would just call a jerk.

• Like 1

I am about to snap. The car is in the shop. Dd knew that it would be there all day. I talked to her about bringing her school work- especially all her reading assignments. She packed a backpack. I didn't know until we got here that she packed one school book and none of the books with reading assignments. She's bored. She being annoying. I'm about ready to suggest playing in traffic. (Ok - not really. ).

I would be so frustrated with her too.  I would suggest that she just work steadily in that one book because she's gotten nothing else done today.

• Like 2

I need a nap. I am so, so sleepy. I could clean my room, and I should, but all I want to do is curl up under the heavenly blanket and snooze like a plump cat.

I think the nap is needed.  You should listen to your body.  It's telling you what it needs.

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I hope they finish with the car soon and it's cheaper than you expected.

I would be so frustrated with her too. I would suggest that she just work steadily in that one book because she's gotten nothing else done today.

That's the other problem. The one book she brought is her algebra book. But because it was the one subject that we WEREN'T going to do today, I didn't bring the TM. And so now she's stuck and I can't help her. Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Dad-po:

One place I visited last week gave me a business card for a volunteer group that helps vets apply to the VA for aid and assistance funds.  I called them, and went over to visit with them about Dad.  I now have a homework sheet, a list of stuff I need Dad to let me have, and some forms for Dad to sign, one for his doctor to fill out, and another for the residence place we end up choosing to fill out.  They are so helpful!   :hurray:  :hurray:

On the way home I decided to stop by a place or two I remembered seeing.  One wasn't the sort of place we are looking for (55+ apartment complex, not a place where you get a room or two and have someone else do all of the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and driving).  The other place I think I need Dad to actually go see.  They have independent living, assisted living, and memory care.  Dad might balk at being in a "high rise" in a "downtown", but he would LOVE the proximity to the local library (one block away), a Barnes & Noble (3 blocks away), and a waterway with a walking path.  There is also a free trolley that makes the circuit of these venues, and stops at the front door of this residence every 20 minutes.  Wowza!  It is actually on the way from our house to ILs' house, too, and quick and easy for me to get to.

One thing he might hesitate over is the cost -- it's the most expensive place I've seen yet.  However, if the VA chimes in as much as the volunteer says is likely (no guarantee) it should still be in the realm of affordability for Dad.

Given the location I was expecting some of that over-the-top opulence that is so popular around here, but it wasn't.  It was nice, but not dripping with visible richness.  It was open, airy, and modern, with comfy furniture.  Even the parking garage (single-story, under the main building) had high clearances and spacious turns.

And they have a heated swimming pool.

I want to go to their yoga classes.

• Like 5

I spent so much time looking around this nice, tidy, uncluttered place, and then came home to floors that need mopping, clutter everywhere, and an ever-growing task list.  It's times like this I want to go live in these places and have someone else waiting on me hand and foot.

*sigh*

Hurry up and move down here, Dad, so I can come eat at your place, where they will do the cooking and the dishes and the mopping.

• Like 5

I love my job.  I love my job.  I love my job.  I love my job...

I think ikslo's fibbing. I think ikslo's fibbing. I think ikslo's fibbing. I think ikslo's fibbing.

:grouphug:                              :grouphug:                           :grouphug:                       :grouphug:

• Like 9

That's the other problem. The one book she brought is her algebra book. But because it was the one subject that we WEREN'T going to do today, I didn't bring the TM. And so now she's stuck and I can't help her.

We need to live closer to each other, so that we can tell both 15-year-old girls to go play outside while we snarf down chocolate and giggle. 

• Like 5

I think ikslo's fibbing. I think ikslo's fibbing. I think ikslo's fibbing. I think ikslo's fibbing.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Just trying to convince myself, is all. Mind over matter. :D

It didn't really work. I was cranky all day.

• Like 2

I missed my nap today and I am about ready for bed.

I had my annual cardiology appointment and he said that everything looks fine; come back next year.   :hurray:

Dug out a violin for a kid who hasn't touched it in a long time.  She said that she wanted to fiddle with it.  (groan)

Took ds17 to a soccer game.

Made waffles for dinner.

Emptied the trash.

"Taught" two ASL classes and tried to persuade a reluctant dd that she really should do her writing assignment.  (She hasn't done it yet  :glare: .)

• Like 7

I've honestly never noticed a texture sensitivity. But, she does have other sensory things. Her cousin is highly texture/smell sensitive (amongst other sensory stimuli). I should have expected it, but I didn't. :( I honestly feel really bad now. 

:grouphug:  I was a texture sensitive kid and no one knew it.  I threw up a lot.   :glare:

Talk to her and tell her you didn't know it would make her sick.  Tell her she doesn't have to eat it again.  And give her a spoonful of brown sugar from Aunt Junie.

• Like 3

:grouphug:  I was a texture sensitive kid and no one knew it.  I threw up a lot.   :glare:

Talk to her and tell her you didn't know it would make her sick.  Tell her she doesn't have to eat it again.  And give her a spoonful of brown sugar from Aunt Junie.

I definitely told her that I was sorry and that she didn't need to take any more bites. She's eating apples now. 

Sadly, I couldn't find the brown sugar! :( The sweet potatoes were so sweet that they honestly didn't them, though. 

Having puked food because of textures and tastes, I usually insisted that my very reluctant taster simply lick a bite of whatever I wanted him to try, and keep juice or something flavored to get rid of the taste if it proved too much to tolerate. That seemed to help him get brave enough to try something since he knew I was never going to ask him eat it if he couldn't get past a lick of it.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Having puked food because of textures and tastes, I usually insisted that my very reluctant taster simply lick a bite of whatever I wanted him to try, and keep juice or something flavored to get rid of the taste if it proved too much to tolerate. That seemed to help him get brave enough to try something since he knew I was never going to ask him eat it if he couldn't get past a lick of it.

So, here's my question about that - was he always sensitive or was it an acquired sensitivity? 

She used to eat ANYTHING, then within the last 2 years, it's limited. (Not as limited as my nephew - his lunch is beef jerky, a fruit/veggie pouch (a very recent development), and cheese sticks. Maybe some goldfish crackers.) But, it's still not as it used to be. She's currently on a chicken or hamburger (only ketchup on it)kick. She won't even eat pizza! 

I definitely told her that I was sorry and that she didn't need to take any more bites. She's eating apples now. 

Sadly, I couldn't find the brown sugar! :( The sweet potatoes were so sweet that they honestly didn't them, though. 

:(

I have never met a sweet potato that didn't need butter and brown sugar.  :)

ETA:  I've got a "I  :wub: Brown Sugar" Booyah!

Also, adding more hugs for Riv!  :grouphug: And Mary!  :grouphug:  

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

The last time I ever made my kid eat something was at the pool when he begged for fries. I carefully checked with the guy that he didn't use peanut oil or deep-fry snickers or anything. Nope. 100% vegetable oil.

DS ended up in the doctor's office with breathing issues. :leaving:

I learned that day that 100% vegetable oil is usually 100% soy these days. (We had only gotten the letter about DS' soy allergy the day before.) I still feel bad.

• Like 2

So, here's my question about that - was he always sensitive or was it an acquired sensitivity? 

She used to eat ANYTHING, then within the last 2 years, it's limited. (Not as limited as my nephew - his lunch is beef jerky, a fruit/veggie pouch (a very recent development), and cheese sticks. Maybe some goldfish crackers.) But, it's still not as it used to be. She's currently on a chicken or hamburger (only ketchup on it)kick. She won't even eat pizza! 

He ate well until he was two or three, and then he limited himself. He's only recently begun to expand his diet. 

I apparently was always picky. 

• Like 1

The last time I ever made my kid eat something was at the pool when he begged for fries. I carefully checked with the guy that he didn't use peanut oil or deep-fry snickers or anything. Nope. 100% vegetable oil.

I learned that day that 100% vegetable oil is usually 100% soy these days. (We had only gotten the letter about DS' soy allergy the day before.) I still feel bad.

Yikes!

• Like 2

Oh gosh!! We're not that bad with egg, but I'm still waiting on the day that I have to use the epi-pen. 

He ate well until he was two or three, and then he limited himself. He's only recently begun to expand his diet. 

I apparently was always picky. 

ok, good to know. My nephew has been picky since he could eat solids, so I honestly just thought I was creating a picky kid. :/ 

I have, but that's a rare tuber. 

It might be that I don't eat sugar a lot, but these were so sweet! 

I will say that at one point at my most picky, I started breaking out in hives to everything. Turned out, I was allergic to just about everything. I outgrew most of it, although looking back, I'm almost positive that I started having trouble with wheat around thirteen or fourteen years of age. 

But a bunch of it is still texture and taste with me. For instance, I like a banana from time to time, but it has to be perfect, or I can't get past the slime factor. If I eat green beans, I have to stop before I start thinking about it, and there had better not be a string. And even a sweet, sweet potato--if I hit a string? It's over.

• Like 2

Oh gosh!! We're not that bad with egg, but I'm still waiting on the day that I have to use the epi-pen.

Hopefully you won't have to!

My egg story (well, one of them -I have several) ends with DS puking over my shoulder, in my hair, down my back...

• Like 1

I will say that at one point at my most picky, I started breaking out in hives to everything. Turned out, I was allergic to just about everything. I outgrew most of it, although looking back, I'm almost positive that I started having trouble with wheat around thirteen or fourteen years of age. 

But a bunch of it is still texture and taste with me. For instance, I like a banana from time to time, but it has to be perfect, or I can't get past the slime factor. If I eat green beans, I have to stop before I start thinking about it, and there had better not be a string. And even a sweet, sweet potato--if I hit a string? It's over.

I'm that way with things as well. So, you'd think I would consider that with my child. :/ Nope. 

I will now, for sure. 

• Like 1

So, I win the Mom of the Day award.

Just made my kid puke because I made her eat 2 bites of sweet potato. I honestly thought she was just being dramatic. Whoops. :thumbdown:

I remember when we went through that (a white baked potato) with ds12, then 5. He had a lot of sensory issues back then.

(If it makes you feel any better, ds12 ate 2 small baked potatoes with bacon and broccoli and cheese sauce yesterday for lunch and said it was delicious. There IS hope!)

• Like 3