Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dh and Ds10 are gone for the weekend on a church thing.  

I am lonelier than I thought I'd be.  But I did treat myself to Panera curbside so there's that.  (FYI -- Panera, which has no drive-thru's in my neck of the woods, also does not have curbside.  But if you tell them you have four sleepy kids in the van, they are trained to take pity while reminding you that they do not have curbside.  ;) )

In other news, I plan to enroll at Spud's school.  

• Like 5

Also, the Dirty-Dish-Washer continues to wash dirty dishes (at least four times a day).

And the Clean-Dish-Putter-Awayer continues to put away clean dishes (at least four times a day).

But the Clean-Utensil-Sorter has reached her limit.  She's been on strike since last Monday.  No one is happy with the condition of the utensil drawer, but since no one is unhappy enough to do anything about it, it will remain in disarray until further notice.

• Like 5

I'm back! Coffee and dessert turned into Baskin Robins because downtown was so packed there was no parking near the bakery. So we parked near ice cream. :) Jamocha almond fudge. There were three 10-11yo boys next to BR playing a saxophone and 2 violins. So so cute. You could tell they'd maybe been playing a year and had not yet learned that they were playing in different keys. :D They got huge cheers anyway. It was a First Friday Art Crawl, so the area was packed and musicians playing every half block or so. Hopefully those boys will make a few dollars.

• Like 8

What is Overboard about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto on Jean's question. And does amazon prime have it?

It's an old old old Rom-Com with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russel and 4 boys. I have no idea if Amazon Prime has it, but it's highly entertaining and mostly clean with a lot of sweet heartwarming parts.

Edited to add: it is not Prime, but it is definitely worth the $3.99 to rent it. It's a great, not-too-much-thought and entertaining weekend movie.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Edpo

Oldest tried to straight up gaslight me into thinking we needed to do Fallacy Detective twice yesterday bc she likes it so much she wants to do more than one lesson a week. Should I do more, thus finishing the book early and probably necessitating buying more logic curricula midyear?

Booyah!

Oldest was supposed to have a light school day and then go to Grandma's house early.   :toetap05:   What are you trying to raise a life-long learner or something?   :w00t:

Jokes aside.  If you finished Fallacy Detective early, would you use the time for something else (not logic?)?  If you started another logic program would you finish it before the end of the school year or would it be left hanging over the summer to be finished next fall (sometimes that's a bad idea.)?  Or if you want to do more logic but not really go up the next step of the ladder you could review fallacies with CAP's Fallacy book (is that Art of Argument?  I forget....)  

You're welcome.   :lol:

• Like 2

Good morning!

If my kids finish up a subject early and I don't have another level planned, then we just call it a year and leave it. My kids will typically need more time to spend on math and science at the end of the year anyway and it gives them and me a little more margin. I'm a big fan of wide open margins. :D

There are only 3 of us home right now. It's weird.

Coffee!

• Like 5

I finished my Agatha Christie book last night - Endless Night. It's one of those novels where towards the end the author just casually slips in a couple sentences and you are all like wait, what? And then you go search the first couple chapters and then you give up because you can't find it and keep reading until the end and then you tell dh well I wasn't expecting THAT.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

I got grading done from last week. I have this constant low grade stress from trying to keep up with everything. I'm not a perfectionist. I'm just trying to keep everything from going down the toilet.

You should not be trying to flush school work. However, if you do, it'll probably clog the toilet, so even then not *everything* will go down the toilet. 

• Like 4

Did anyone take a fall break?  I think we should have had a fall break.  Unfortunately, we have enough different things going on we couldn't have gotten every thing on fall break at the same time.  (It was fall break this week for local public schools here.)

That seems awfully soon. Here schools didn't start until after Labor Day, so it's only been a month. In NL, they started a little sooner, but they haven't had fall break yet either:

https://www.schoolvakanties-nederland.nl/zomervakantie-2017.html

https://www.schoolvakanties-nederland.nl/herfstvakantie-2017.html

(zomer obviously means summer... herfst = fall, and NL is divided into 3 regions for school breaks, to reduce traffic jams when people leave for vacation... either way, fall break this year is Oct 14-22, or Oct 21-29, and summer break was July 8-Aug 20, July 15-Aug 27, or July 22-Sept 3). So, I guess the last day of summer break here was Sept 4, which would put us pretty much on schedule for fall break Oct 21-29, by Dutch standards. Not that I go by their calendar. 

I want a name. [pout]

I agree. [pout]

That seems awfully soon. Here schools didn't start until after Labor Day, so it's only been a month. In NL, they started a little sooner, but they haven't had fall break yet either:

https://www.schoolvakanties-nederland.nl/zomervakantie-2017.html

https://www.schoolvakanties-nederland.nl/herfstvakantie-2017.html

(zomer obviously means summer... herfst = fall, and NL is divided into 3 regions for school breaks, to reduce traffic jams when people leave for vacation... either way, fall break this year is Oct 14-22, or Oct 21-29, and summer break was July 8-Aug 20, July 15-Aug 27, or July 22-Sept 3). So, I guess the last day of summer break here was Sept 4, which would put us pretty much on schedule for fall break Oct 21-29, by Dutch standards. Not that I go by their calendar. 

I agree. [pout]

We started end of July / early August and public schools started soon thereafter.  

• Like 1

Mom's 5cm and cervix is completely thinned. I guess that means no going back?

I don't know. I asked but she's busy.

I don't know for sure that there's no going back - it's possible to hang around for several weeks at 5cm.  I would assume they're giving medications to stop contractions and to help baby's lungs?  (I always forget the names of medicines.)

• Like 1

I don't know for sure that there's no going back - it's possible to hang around for several weeks at 5cm. I would assume they're giving medications to stop contractions and to help baby's lungs? (I always forget the names of medicines.)

They're in the hospital. That's all I've got.
  • Like 2

Mom's 5cm and cervix is completely thinned. I guess that means no going back?

I don't know. I asked but she's busy.

No going back for long if her water has broken, but they can try to keep labor off for a long time otherwise. My friend was in the hospital for 6 weeks after coming in with full blown labor, dilated and contracting.  5cm is not too much. If water has broken, they may try to hold off a few days for steroids or they can test the fluid for signs of lung maturity. They said something about your water breaking causes lung changes in the baby that matures their lungs on its own past a certain date. My DDs were about that size when born at 33weeks. They thought about holding labor off even after my water broke but decided not to after they tested the fluid. Too bad for DDa that only her sister's water broke and was tested and her water was intact. DDa's lungs were not mature because she didn't have the water breaking stress, but DDb was breathing pretty well. DDs were small for age, so I'm guessing your friend's baby is 30-34 weeks. I hope they can stop it and let baby grow some more!  :grouphug:

• Like 3

Edpo

Oldest tried to straight up gaslight me into thinking we needed to do Fallacy Detective twice yesterday bc she likes it so much she wants to do more than one lesson a week. Should I do more, thus finishing the book early and probably necessitating buying more logic curricula midyear?

Booyah!

I just let mine read it herself. Over and over again. Maybe you could just hand over the book and then do the lessons on your schedule?

• Like 1

No going back for long if her water has broken, but they can try to keep labor off for a long time otherwise. My friend was in the hospital for 6 weeks after coming in with full blown labor, dilated and contracting. 5cm is not too much. If water has broken, they may try to hold off a few days for steroids or they can test the fluid for signs of lung maturity. They said something about your water breaking causes lung changes in the baby that matures their lungs on its own past a certain date. My DDs were about that size when born at 33weeks. They thought about holding labor off even after my water broke but decided not to after they tested the fluid. Too bad for DDa that only her sister's water broke and was tested and her water was intact. DDa's lungs were not mature because she didn't have the water breaking stress, but DDb was breathing pretty well. DDs were small for age, so I'm guessing your friend's baby is 30-34 weeks. I hope they can stop it and let baby grow some more! :grouphug:

Oh, thank you! I assumed at 3 pounds she was only in her 20s. This makes me feel much better. Very interesting about the lungs, too!

• Like 1

I would absolutely do more, if she wants more. I think they call that interest-led, or something, right? I would also possibly use it as a bribe (though not necessarily... it depends). I'd probably be willing to do a lesson a day if the kid wanted it (okay, I don't know FD, so I can't really say for sure, but I don't see a reason why I would be unwilling to spend an hour a day on logic if that was the kid's favorite thing (unless I hated logic, in which case I'd try to find independent logic)). 

I guess we would either do the Thinking Toolbox or Art of Argument orally...I don’t think I could get her to do anymore writing right now. 

So, it could be used as a bribe to make her do (more) writing - if you finish your (extra) writing, we can do a chapter of FD. 

If my kids finish up a subject early and I don't have another level planned, then we just call it a year and leave it. 

Which is also a perfectly valid approach, imo. But, if a kid loves a subject, I'd try to find ways to let the kid do more. Your library or ILL might be good resources too - not everything has to be purchased. I'm thinking books with words like 'brainteasers' and 'puzzles' in the title might be things to search your catalog for (or, if you look at Amazon, you can click on "customers also bought", or "customers also looked at").

• Like 1

I'm just resistant to outlining, and that's just all there is to it. I do best if I just consider the first draft a massively huge outline and go from there. Ironically, as I look at the basic beat sheets I have for different ways of evaluating story flow and plot, by page number, I'm very, very close to where I should be. Go figure.

I'd say you have a natural sense of rhythm, then.

• Like 1

Neko appears to have another cold. I have had cats all my life and none have ever had a cold. Now he gets two in less than six months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps fall allergies have something to do with it?

MIL & FIL used to have a cat that had so many allergies, they joked that she (the cat) was allergic to cats.

• Like 2

Perhaps fall allergies have something to do with it?

MIL & FIL used to have a cat that had so many allergies, they joked that she (the cat) was allergic to cats.

I would be surprised if allergies just suddenly showed up in a cat who is 9 years old but I don't know much about allergies in cats.

We joke that Bailey is allergic to me. She starts sneezing whenever I am around. (And I don't wear any substances like perfume etc ). We're a scent free home.

• Like 1

I taught DS to wash/dry the sheets. I still do his clothes. Ours together makes one load of lights, one dark. So no need for him to do his own.

DD16 asked a few years ago to be allowed to do her own, so that Mom would stop calling her to come put (folded and hung) clothes away.  Now she does her laundry, but gets the nagging when she doesn't fold and hang her clothes and put them away.

I had been doing DD13's clothes with mine for exactly the reason you list above.  Then I decided she can fold and hang her own and put them away.  Now I've decided that since there's often enough of my clothes to make up a dark load and enough of hers for a dark load, too, I will do those separately.  DD13 now has an assigned laundry day, and does her laundry then, adding my few whites/lights in with her Aikido whites.  She gets nagging, too, about hanging, folding, and putting her laundry away, plus she gets nagging about getting clothing (and other stuff) off the floor and out from under the wheels of the desk chair in her room.  I'll still grab her stuff to fill up a load if I need to run some clothes of mine, and for paddling clothes or other sloppy endeavors all of the clothing for the occasion gets run together.

I guess by assigning the kids each a day for their laundry I am getting them partially ready for laundromats when they are at college or out on their own.  I can further laundromat lessons when we are on our annual road trip.   :D

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Saturday!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Slept in!!!!!!!

Had several horrible and very vivid dreams. One of them was I was standing at the bottom of a cliff and watching this dog (it was a beautiful dog, it looked like a husky, but in my dream I said it was a coyote) and it was just scaling this cliff, it was running up it at full speed. At one point it rested on a narrow pathway that was meandering down this cliff, then it started up it again and it couldn't make it and started tumbling down over the rocks. I can't remember if it died. It was so vivid and bizarre. I wonder what it meant.

• Like 3