Menu

Ignore this thread!

Non sequitur? Or maybe a loaded question or complex question fallacy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

Not touching my laptop helps. Of course, that assumes that the laptop is not needed for whatever needs to be done. Specifically, staying off the forums helps too. But in reality, it looks quite a lot like what you described. 

I thought I remembered you were. DW, however, is not.  :001_rolleyes:

Back when I took a hiatus from ITT I didn't do better in anything.  Everything got worse.  ITT gives me respite and helps me gain perspective and focus.  Being too insulated from other stuff stifles my ability to concentrate, apparently.

• Like 5

Ahead?? Now we're supposed to be ahead, too?? I feel like I am treading water so hard and furiously and I can barely keep my nose above the water line to breathe.

I don't mean to be a smart-a$$. I know what you mean. The best I can do on a regular basis is school, 3 meals a day, dishes in the dishwasher and laundry through the machines. Sometimes the kids spend their week taking clean clothes out of the basket because that's all the farther it got. I think I'm doing well if I can shake out the table cloth daily and put it on straight. My "get-ahead" time is summer or holidays. That's the only time I have to do deeper cleaning or de-cluttering or working on special projects.

Wow, someone shakes out and straightens your table cloth!  That doesn't happen around here with any reliability.  And as soon as I do it someone notices the difference and "fixes" it with a lovely scattering of crumbs.

Of course, you'd need to have paralyzing anxiety/overthinking first in order to need to get rid of it. 

We are strong over-thinkers here.  And yes, it can be paralyzing.  Look for the smaller bits, kids, look for the smaller bits.

• Like 3

Oh, and I hate things like going on vacation. Like our eclipse trip... it exhausted us, and then when we got back there was a ton of laundry, and DW left all her camping gear all over the desk room. So, while I was in a pretty good rhythm of keeping the house under control before that, it was one of those things that undid stuff. 

And let me mention sleep again. If the kids get enough sleep, they're less toddler-esque, and of course, if we get enough sleep, we're also less toddler-esque. And turns out that toddlers are not great at keeping a house under control. Also, if you don't get enough sleep, it weakens your immune system. 

Likety likety LIKE.  Lack of sleep and disruptions to routines (once they get established) are two of the biggest monsters we have trampling us here.

• Like 2

Back when I took a hiatus from ITT I didn't do better in anything.  Everything got worse.  ITT gives me respite and helps me gain perspective and focus.  Being too insulated from other stuff stifles my ability to concentrate, apparently.

There's more to the forums than just the ITT though. Especially the Chat Board and the Politics sub group can waste oodles of time, the former because of the zillions of threads and discussions, the latter because of too many links to articles to read. 

• Like 1

I'm starting to get better but I'm still so very tired.  So I'm going to do short attempts at chores followed by lots of rest.  So first thing:  make my bed.  I'll come back to rest when I get it done. 

This is a good plan.  Rest is paramount, but everything falling apart or coming undone around one while one is resting isn't restful.  It destroys the benefit of the rest.  Doing short stuff is good.  It gets some stuff done, but still the rest gets to be the higher priority.

• Like 1

There's more to the forums than just the ITT though. Especially the Chat Board and the Politics sub group can waste oodles of time, the former because of the zillions of threads and discussions, the latter because of too many links to articles to read. 

I'll peek at them once in a while, but they aren't part of my everyday anymore.  ITT is, however.  ITT is vital, a beneficial part of what helps me keep going.

• Like 2

I don't use a table cloth. 

Our kitchen table has an edge that irritates my arm if I don't cushion it.  I have tablecloths for that purpose, and wipe-able placemats to cut down on the need to change and wash the tablecloth.  No one but me, however, seems to think the table is fine without a scattering of crumbs and salt and a spattering from whatever was eaten last.

Bed is made.  And because I'm an overachiever I made myself take my morning meds and brush my teeth.  Now time to rest.  And I'm going to try to google to find out if dd and my prescription toothpaste is gluten free or not.  We're having a devil of a time finding out. 

It never occurred to me to check for gluten in toothpaste.  They use that stuff in everything, don't they?

It never occurred to me to check for gluten in toothpaste.  They use that stuff in everything, don't they?

Arrrgh.  Why did I google?  Apparently there can be gluten in the numbing gel used by dentists.  And topical flouride.  And polishing paste.  Even the gloves used.  This explains though why dd felt very bad after her dental cleaning the other day.  I've been frustrated because she keeps feeling badly despite our stringent gluten free diet but now I'm finding that isn't enough.  It's truly out to get us! 

The frustrating thing is that I don't know how to avoid those things.  We told them that dd has celiac but I don't think they know how to check to see if things are ok.  And it would be an awful lot of work for them to do so.  And there are some gluten free products but would they have to get some in just for her?  But. . . is it ok to gluten her every time she goes to the dentist?  (Though it's usually only twice a year). 

Arrrgh.  Why did I google?  Apparently there can be gluten in the numbing gel used by dentists.  And topical flouride.  And polishing paste.  Even the gloves used.  This explains though why dd felt very bad after her dental cleaning the other day.  I've been frustrated because she keeps feeling badly despite our stringent gluten free diet but now I'm finding that isn't enough.  It's truly out to get us! 

The frustrating thing is that I don't know how to avoid those things.  We told them that dd has celiac but I don't think they know how to check to see if things are ok.  And it would be an awful lot of work for them to do so.  And there are some gluten free products but would they have to get some in just for her?  But. . . is it ok to gluten her every time she goes to the dentist?  (Though it's usually only twice a year). 

Unless someone who works there daily is dealing with celiac in his or her own household I suspect it hasn't occurred to them that gluten might be in these materials.  It could be work at least talking to them, to inform them of the prevalence of gluten in dental materials and the impact it has on your daughter when she comes in for a check-up.  They might have some ideas themselves about what they can do on their end, and if not you can at least ask if they can stock some gluten-free items.  I doubt your daughter will prove to be the only patient interested in gluten-free check-ups, if it were to become known that the dentist can offer such.

• Like 3

Back from work and waiting on lunch to cool so that I can eat it. Then I have to decide: Do I plan school this afternoon or tomorrow? Where does a nap fit into this, or should I angle for early bedtime and a book? Or should I edit all day with epic music to make me bold and daring? Will that give me the courage I need to fold the laundry?

• Like 3

I got cut and colored.

Middle DD and I went to he Dollar Store and I got stuff for my wreath. It looks nothing like I originally pictured it. But it's cool and black and orange and glittery with a couple of Ravens on it and some spiders. I don't do skeletons and bloody knives and zombies and stuff. I like it. But I'm not hanging it till October.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

I have an extremely difficult oldest. And I finally figured out that if when I'm talking to people, and they give me advice about him, or tell me I should do this, or should not do that with him, then they haven't the slightest idea what I'm going through and I'm tired of being made feel like carp by people who think there's an answer and they have it. There's a few people in this world who have a kid like/similar to mine and they know there are no answers and when I talk to them, they only sympathize with me and I with them. And those are the only people I talk to about my kid.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Our company was expected around 2-2:30-ish this afternoon, and they aren't here yet (it's after 4 pm).  DD16 is getting anxious.  I tried texting the mom, only to have the text fail to deliver.  I have now tried again and texted both mom and friend; it appears to have been delivered this time.  DD16 tried texting the friend about 45 minutes ago.  I'll wait another half hour and then try calling.  I know they had to deal with Harvey damage at their house (we spoke in person at art class on Wed.), but I don't think the cell networks are down.

Trying to be patient, and hoping nothing happened.

ETA: fixed a word.  Did NOT mean to type that word!

Edited by AMJ

No, not black glittery spiders. Just the typical brown ones with orange legs that make about three times the amount of web they need to catch a bug. Right over the doorway.

They are helping you with your Halloween decorations!  It takes some time to crank out the amount of web that people seem to like on their porches.

• Like 1

The baby's room is almost empty of junk and all the stuff that was in it has either been relocated to shelves in the basement, placed in the car for a Goodwill run, or trashed! The only thing left is DH's other boxes of papers and air mattresses that I need to inflate one by one in the middle of the room to see which ones are still good. Tomorrow I can paint it, or pay a kid to paint it, and then the biggest things on my to do list will be done. DH plans to put the floor down when he takes off work after baby is born, so that means there's nothing left for me to do up there after painting. 

I've bought all the necessities except a stroller and swing or bouncer- do I need a stroller? - I hate them. My wonderful old swing is broken and too old.  :crying: I can't decide what to replace it with. 

Then, I can spend next week cleaning for the inevitable house guests and all my ducks will be in a row with hopefully a few weeks to spare! 

• Like 6

The baby's room is almost empty of junk and all the stuff that was in it has either been relocated to shelves in the basement, placed in the car for a Goodwill run, or trashed! The only thing left is DH's other boxes of papers and air mattresses that I need to inflate one by one in the middle of the room to see which ones are still good. Tomorrow I can paint it, or pay a kid to paint it, and then the biggest things on my to do list will be done. DH plans to put the floor down when he takes off work after baby is born, so that means there's nothing left for me to do up there after painting. 

I've bought all the necessities except a stroller and swing or bouncer- do I need a stroller? - I hate them. My wonderful old swing is broken and too old.  :crying: I can't decide what to replace it with. 

Then, I can spend next week cleaning for the inevitable house guests and all my ducks will be in a row with hopefully a few weeks to spare! 

Backpack, not stroller. Swing/bouncer combo. In ours the seat comes out of the swing and is a bouncer.

• Like 1

Paige's baby prep made me remember my double stroller. That was a total body workout pushing that thing through my gravel driveway and up the hill every day.

I know.  Double strollers are so heavy.  I'm actually getting ready to give mine away.  Ds17's former soccer coach and his wife just had identical twin girls last week.   :001_wub:  :001_wub:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Don't get a stroller if you don't like them.  Something else will suggest itself.  The fancy-pants stroller we bought when our eldest was expected ended up being a roll-able bed for her for napping.  It was too cumbersome to get in and out of the trunk for other uses.

I'm channeling my inner Martha Stewart. Cinnamon rolls are out of the oven, sandwich buns are in and dough for French bread is rising for dinner tonight. I don't care if it's not cool out, I'm making tortellini soup and French bread for dinner.

Baking Bread Booya/h!! It's a good thing!!!!!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

Backpack, not stroller. Swing/bouncer combo. In ours the seat comes out of the swing and is a bouncer.

That's what I was thinking. I can't wear backpacks but I have a custom mei tai that I know where it is, and somewhere in my house there's a pouch that fits me and would probably fit my older DDs, and there should be a moby wrap too if I can find it. Then, we have 4 kids with the youngest being 10, so lots of people to pass baby off to be carried if someone is tired. But DDs want a stroller to push baby on walks. I think they won't really use it and it will collect dust, so maybe I can wait until baby is old enough for a cheap, small umbrella stroller. 

Swing/bouncer combos are new to me. I will look for one. Back when I had babies, you got a swing and a bouncer. Parents today have more cool stuff but I'm trying to resist looking so I will avoid buying. This stuff won't be re-used by me!

• Like 2

That's what I was thinking. I can't wear backpacks but I have a custom mei tai that I know where it is, and somewhere in my house there's a pouch that fits me and would probably fit my older DDs, and there should be a moby wrap too if I can find it. Then, we have 4 kids with the youngest being 10, so lots of people to pass baby off to be carried if someone is tired. But DDs want a stroller to push baby on walks. I think they won't really use it and it will collect dust, so maybe I can wait until baby is old enough for a cheap, small umbrella stroller.

Swing/bouncer combos are new to me. I will look for one. Back when I had babies, you got a swing and a bouncer. Parents today have more cool stuff but I'm trying to resist looking so I will avoid buying. This stuff won't be re-used by me!

https://www.google.com/search?q=baby+swing+bouncer+combo&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&sa=X&biw=360&bih=560&tbs=cat:522308,pdtr0:979781|979784,vw:g,init_ar:SgZKBAjE8B9KClIICMXmOyDI5js%3D,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=1396130968797995892&prds=epd:13411261851039098202,cdl:1,cid:9695019779320243924&ved=0ahUKEwiPqfuY8KrWAhVM8IMKHT-gAKcQgTYIuAY

Here's ours. :001_wub: There are cheaper alternatives. I love that the dangly things come down. Baby: "I love things!" Mama: "Here's one of the things." Baby: :D

• Like 3

I had to go get dd from activities that she loves because she felt so poorly. I hate this. I had hoped that going gluten free would at least make her start to feel better.

Oh, Jean, that's rough. Here's hoping you start seeing (and she starts reaping) the benefits soon. :grouphug:

• Like 4

I did things. And stuff. Now iTired.

All the moldy ceilings have been painted with mold killer. There is one bad spot where we will have to replace it, but the other places should be good now. The carpets have been cleaned, the walls have been patched and repaired, my tire has been fixed. We ordered dinner from the store and I'm so done for today. Tomorrow will be cleaning, errands and school prep. I need a haircut.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 6