Menu

Ignore this thread!

Edpo: what would you suggest for dd's 10th grade history and literature? Grades 1 - 5 she did a five year cycle of history (it took her a bit longer than 4 years). Grade 6 and 7 she did Crash Course American History and Crash Course World History with more of a general reading comprehension/vocabulary instead of literature. 9th grade she did World Geography. And she did a dystopian novel study plus Analytical Grammar. She hates History and Lit. but she has to do some. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Edpo: what would you suggest for dd's 10th grade history and literature? Grades 1 - 5 she did a five year cycle of history (it took her a bit longer than 4 years). Grade 6 and 7 she did Crash Course American History and Crash Course World History with more of a general reading comprehension/vocabulary instead of literature. 9th grade she did World Geography. And she did a dystopian novel study plus Analytical Grammar. She hates History and Lit. but she has to do some. Any suggestions?

Hmmm, hates history and lit... there's a few choices:

1) stick with the get-it-done-because-it's-required on most transcripts stuff.

2) figure out if there actually is something in history she is interested in and start with that. If it leads to rabbit trails, go with it. If you have that kind of time. I know your plate is full.

The literature can follow the history. What does she like to read? Is there a common theme?

• Like 4

Do you want a curriculum or do you want to put something together yourself?

Good Wednesday morning.  

Jean, for literature - would she be interested in something like mythology across many cultures?  or fairy tales across cultures?  or choose an author she likes and read several of that person's works and a biography of him/her.....  ETA:  Do you need a year to work on literary analysis?  It think Center for Lit / Teaching the Classics has at least one free sample class she could listen to (maybe more?) that might be worth doing.  Or could you use short stories for a semester to teach some of the literary elements, etc. and start writing about literature in some way..... 

For history - do you have any thing you KNOW you will do the next two years? (i.e. will you do a full year of American next year?  will you do a western Civ year?)  After considering if those decisions effect this year or not, I would pick areas of interest and go deeper, as Renai said.  A semester on WWII, finding books that give perspective of other nations, also really good biographies.  (I love biographies so much, I think I could just spend a year reading biographies.)  Or would she be interested in a year spend on east Asia?  Or is there some other time/place she would like to study deeper?

Hope today goes well.   :grouphug:

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!,☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Wednesday!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

First day of high school for DS!!😱😱 (it's quiet in there, so he must have eventually fallen asleep!! I hope he got rest, poor kid!)

• Like 7

Something like Lies My Teacher Told Me?

• Like 2

How about recent and current events?  Start with the 1960s or 1970s, perhaps, and go on to current times?

How did she like the Crash Course courses?  Did you buy DVD sets or use YouTube videos?

DD13 picked out a book at the library book shop that Grandma and I decided I needed to preview before letting her read it -- a spy novel taking place about 10 years ago (when it was published).  I scanned through it, found that while it had some language the sex and graphic descriptions of violence were minimal to nil, and decided to let her read it.  I told her it is very much a product of the time in which it was written and published, and so she will need to keep that in mind as she reads it.  I also told her certain things will make more sense once she learns more about recent history.

Since my DD13 wants to go to public high school in 9th grade (next year, not this upcoming year) I need to make sure she studies other history this year, to align with the 9th grade history the schools here teach.  She needs U.S. history before 1877 -- 9th grade history is U.S. history 1877 and afterwards.

DD16 (10th grade) I'm still looking and deciding.  I'm leaning towards U.S. Government (half the year) and Personal Financial Literacy.  I really want both girls studying finances this year, and Texas's public high schools seem to group these two classes together in the same year.  She also really wants to be studying different classes than her sister, wherever possible, so this, too, would work out.

• Like 3

Modern history and dystopian literature go nicely together.  There are gobs of dystopian literature curricula/ideas out there.  It would probably be simplest to pair that with modern history of your choice, with history just being read and discuss since she dislikes it.  I found this Yale link that looked cool:  http://teachers.yale.edu/curriculum/viewer/initiative_15.01.06_u

(I would LOVE to do a modern history/dystopian lit unit here.  The short person would love it.  We're kinda committed, at this point at least, to a Great Books curriculum.  But we'll see.  In any event, since my short person reads all this on her own time, it's kinda getting done, right?)

I hope that your day goes as well as possible. :grouphug: :grouphug:  for you and Events Planner.

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 3

If she needs an American History or other specific history credit, I'd pick something for that (maybe Notgrass) and get it done with. But that's me.

The only other idea I can come up with for literature and history would be to take some Tim Powers novels and study history and lit that way. It's magical realism, which your dd might love or tolerate or hate, and involves different time periods weaving real events and supernatural elements and often involves poets and authors. Might be more appealing if you call it Steampunk literature. Books of his that I have read involve the Cold War, ancient Egypt, siege of Vienna, Ponce de Leon's search for the fountain of youth, Lord Byron & Percy Shelley, Greek mythology, the Fisher King, Thomas Edison, and of course William Ashbless :D .

• Like 4

I'm noting all your ideas for history and lit. I will have to float them past Dd.

I lean towards Grest Books for liberal arts reasons. What great books programs are there out there?

We're using Wes Callihan's series.  https://romanroadsmedia.com/old-western-culture/

About the furthest thing from dystopian/modern that you could possibly imagine!  :laugh:

(My short person likes history, though.  And she loves Mr. Callihan.)

• Like 2

I slept in until 8. Must needs coffee. And foods.

What all did you print? I've been slowly printing things out.

Ink came in the mail yesterday. Everything for the rest of the term (4 weeks left) to simplify Sunday night school prep.

SOTW AG

SOTW Student pages (2)

EM Geography

RLTL Spelling lists

Handwriting Paper (2)

Some things for teacher including books completed, content covered, ongoing thoughts and year at a glance.

Still need to print EM Grammar, Japanese and Greek.

For Krissi:

20841917_2022910564401808_37333823407283

I'm in a dark place right now. Not emotionally, I'm just hiding from my kids.

• Like 9

Well, I dropped DS off at high school. It was insane over there. They're doing the ribbon cutting for the new elementary school campus. We just saw it on the news. I asked him if he got any sleep last night and he said he did. He really struggles with anxiety, but we have been working with his doctor in some solutions and he's doing better than I expected. It really helped that his friend L called a few minutes before we left to touch base. They decided they were going to look for each other. They have chapel first, today, right off the bat, so that's good. And on orientation night I took him around to where all his classes are. It's a relatively small school, and he's taking typical freshman classes so he should be with a lot of the same kids throughout the day.

• Like 10

Are you looking for something to span 10th-12th grades or just 10th grade?

Just 10th at this point. She's mentioned wanting to do dual enrollment starting next year but her health has seriously impacted her progress in school. Last.night we discussed the possibility of doing high school over five years instead of four.

I might see what Oak meadow has for history and lit. She did ok with their courses last year and the hands on parts of their stuff appeals to her.

• Like 9

I'm thinking about cancelling today. My knee gave out when I was cleaning the schoolroom this morning. I could still do some stuff, but I don't know how that I will.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Rest the knee.  Teach the kids about the need to be careful when certain body parts get overtaxed.

• Like 3

What does she like (aside from dystopian novels)? Like, if she likes music, some history of music. Or if she likes science, history of science. 

• Like 4

My oldest son passed me up this year. He grew four inches in a year. Fourteen years old, 5'11" tall, size 12 shoe. Sigh!!

My 14-year-old nephew is head and neck taller than me.  He might just top out taller than his dad, the tallest member of the family (so far).

I was with my parents once at an airline counter. My dad said to the agent something about taking a trip with his favorite wife. The agent looked back and forth from my mom and me, obviously trying to decide which one of us was the favorite one!

When we lived on the farm our little country church shared a priest with the small parish in the closest little town (Catholic churches).  When Dad would get flights to Hawaii he would bring back cases of ripe pineapple and share them out.  Father B always had his favorite double joke when Dad would bring pineapple over:  "Oh, thank you!  I'll have my wife call you for cooking instructions!"

In high school some friends of my brother and me were a family with 8 kids, and the parents had started young.  B was in my class and was the oldest girl and the second oldest of the 8 kids.  One day (when she was about 16) she went running errands with her dad and her youngest brother (about age 4 at the time).  They ran into an old school chum of her dad's.  "Hi, J!  Hey, is this your wife, D?  She's a real looker!"  His embarrassment was mighty when she was introduced as J's daughter.

• Like 3