Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dh wants to get a cell phone to replace our land line. It would save us about $50/month, as the cell would only cost $10 on our plan. Well, we'd have to buy the actual phone too. I think he's nearly convinced me.

Be careful there -- cellphones breed.  We had cell phones before dropping our landline, and when DH wanted to drop the landline I told him the kids would have to have phones, too, when they reached leave-at-home-alone age.  Now all 4 of us have phones, so we can be sure we each have the ability to call 911 or family should emergencies occur (we started them with hand-me-downs when DH and I switched our phones to Android for the larger screen).

We have also taken some pains to instruct the kids to give their location immediately if they ever have to call 911, and to inform 911 of their ages, their phone numbers, and the circumstances/reason for the call.  We stressed that 911 can't always tell where they are.

It is also important, too, to memorize each family member's phone number -- don't always count on being able to look up the number on your own phone (which is a problem if your battery is dead, your phone broken or malfunctioning (as my iphone once did), or it is lost or stolen).  I just now sheepishly realized that while everyone has memorized DH's and my phone numbers none of us have memorized either kid's number -- not even the kids themselves.  This has now been assigned for us all.

• Like 1

I have not ketchupped. I mustard.

I worked yesterday and today. I was so tired when I got in that I crawled into bed and slept for three hours. This likely means I won't sleep tonight. Oh, well. I'm still tired. I didn't feel good to today an I still feel kind of yucky. Also the c and the d are not working well on my keyboard, and I have story to write tomorrow.This should be fun. 

I wanted to go boating tomorrow. Not going to happen. So I'm kind of unhappy and pitiful right now. And whiny. I need chocolate. But I think I already ate it all.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I wonder what your story looks like with no c and d letters?

• Like 1

Baby swings today look so placid. I plan on using my super old one (please let it work). It looks sort of like this and goes fast. New ones seem to hardly sway- who wants that? I remember DS hated the swing on low. Sometimes I think those new swings look so cute and sweet, but how functional are they really? And the mobiles and distractions all over them? If my baby is in the swing, I want him to sleep.

Ironically, that picture is from a site about "kids in danger" with swings.  :svengo: But I promise mine was not that exact one and hasn't been recalled. 

I forget what brand ours was, but it would swing side-to-side as well as front-to-back.  Eldest LOVED the side-to-side.  I think we have some old video somewhere of her sitting up in it, adjusting as it swung so that her head stayed in one spot while the rest of her swung around her head-pivot-point.

Looks like Dancer's morphea has jumped to another spot on her leg, just as it was supposed to be winding down. :(

:(   Is it at least behaving and staying pain-free?

I'm annoyed. Last I heard from DW/Broccoli was 20:28 on Friday. Right now it's 0:56 on Sunday. So, that's over 24 hours of nothing. Now, I don't expect much contact, because of limited battery life, but a single text wouldn't be too much to ask, I'd think. That said, this kind of thing is hardly surprising, but still... that's my baby out in the woods, (primitive) camping for the first time (i.e. in a state park where camping is allowed, not a campground with utilities and stuff). 

:grouphug:

Now more pins and needles as I continue to catch up, hoping to hear that they returned fine and dandy and with a good excuse for not contacting you (like an inconveniently-placed ridge blocking the signal).

That...may not be the best show to watch with that motive in mind...

Then again, I've never watched the show, so maybe it is. That title though...

No, you are correct.  I have watched the show.  I like the show.  But it does NOT ease my mind about various circumstances.  I cannot binge-watch this show or even watch it several days in a row -- it messes with my mind and I become harder to live with for a spell.  I haven't watched it in a while (won't if the girls are anywhere where they can see or hear).

I react to books by Elizabeth George in a similar way.

• Like 1

I'm on season 12, episode 3. And yes, I said it sort of jokingly, because it's not the best choice (fictional FBI unit solves crimes committed by fictional serials killers). Though, on the bright side, this episode is about single moms in Florida, completely different circumstances, etc. 

Actually the cases are supposedly based upon real-life cases, and while quite Hollywood-ized they are also tamed down from reality.  This is the part that really messes with my mind -- that people actually could do such things.

• Like 1

I woke up early.  That's what I get for caffeine late in the afternoon.

So, Good Sunday Morning.  

Puppy - in a minute.

COFFEE!

Oldest ds won his first round of the Denker Chess tournament against other state champions.  The other player was rated much higher than him.  The game went 4 hours.  WOW!  

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   GREAT JOB, LYNN'S DS!!!!

• Like 2

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I wonder what your story looks like with no c and d letters?

Very odd, as my protagonist's name begins with the letter d. Seems to be working better now, but the stickiness has migrated to the f key for the time being.

• Like 1

Very odd, as my protagonist's name begins with the letter d. Seems to be working better now, but the stickiness has migrated to the f key for the time being.

That must make for some very interesting reading, a story written on a keyboard with migrating stickiness.  Letters takng trns stckng (fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff) or smply not shong p.

• Like 1

Me:  sleepy-smiley.gif  and  crying-and-sniffling.gif.

The Boo:  :party:

I left her with her Latin teacher at the airport at 6 am.  "Bye, Mom!" and never looked back.  I cried for 3 hours.  Then did a million loads of laundry.  Then went to the grocery store and told my tale of woe to the lady in the bakery who is one of the Boo's new youth group leaders and then cried for the checkout lady.  Just  got into my driveway and got a text:  I RAN THE PLANE  Me:  Say what?

I RAN THE PLANE.  Which was repeated multiple times.  Which then became:  I RAN PLANE FROM COCKPIT  .  Several times.

Then:  I RAN PLANE FROM COCKPIT ON GROUND  Then:  I PREPARE REAL PLANE FROM REAL COCKPIT ON GROUND FOR FLYING

Then:  I'm about to take off.

:svengo:

She may be a widdle bit excited.

She wanted to look back, but was carefully keeping her eyes forward and on the people she must stay with so she wouldn't get lost or run anyone over.

I'm glad they are still allowing young folk into the cockpit from time to time!  They used to do this a lot more when I was growing up, but 9/11 caused a lot of that to get shut down.

I'm glad she was (still is?) having fun.

• Like 2

50,573 as of tonight for my NaNo project. I did it, but it was a really tough 50K for me.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   Great job!!!!

• Like 1

Can we exile someone from Tejas for that? Aside from the fact that it's been discussed on the ITT at least twice before already?

The Mexican restaurant we went to this evening only has horchata on W-Sa. I was not amused. I tried to order a mojito, but they said they were out of mint. So, ended up with a margarita. The kids ordered Shirley Temples, and were told they were out of cherries. My margarita magically had a cherry though. And Celery kept rambling on today about it being my birthday eve, as if that's a thing. I ended up deciding it was a thing, since I did not want to spend money on eating out again tomorrow. So, I splurged and we had fried ice cream for dessert (first time ever, I think? - normally we either do no dessert or sopapillas).

Happy birthday!

• Like 1

Fall quarter for us starts August 14. I plan to start the school year by taking a planned week off from school. :D

ETA: Good morning. I haven't had caffeine yet.

Some weeks ago I told DH we wouldn't start the new school year until at least after Labor Day.  It might be later than that, if I don't manage to get better, pull myself out of the doldrums mind-wise, and get crackin' on planning and getting stuff in.

I wanna go back to Alaska.  My mind worked better in the cooler air.

• Like 2

:hurray: We are so proud of her!

Whew - that's a big schedule!

This isn't her favorite performance because she did better in a later one, but here's a clip. I still haven't seen the whole show as I'm backstage the entire time. https://www.facebook.com/pg/Bible-Alive-Theater-145822745471666/posts/?ref=page_internal

ETA: SHE said she did better in a later performance - her words, not mine.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3

My wife was reading some proposed rules for green card applicants. If it happens, I'm going to need someone to offer me a job that pays 3x the median wage. Anyone willing to help out a friend? :)

On the bright side, she said it was a terribly unreliable source, and that odds are there will be exemptions for renewals and spouses and all that kind of stuff (if it's even true to begin with, and if it passes, and all that kind of stuff... mine is still good for almost 2 years anyway). 

Hopefully, it isn't true. If it is, that doesn't bode well.

• Like 2

Only one child in tears so far over math. Things still feel a little up in the air since not all school-year activities are scheduled, but I know they will take place on either Monday or Tuesday afternoons or evenings. Meals are not planned yet. I will have to make a boatload of soup and chili this weekend.

Need more coffee.

Can we be done yet?

Soup and chili sound like a very good plan.

I made cookies.  I burned them.  I didn't hear the microwave timer, and only caught the mistake when I smelled burning food.   :(

How clever of you to bake Cajun!  Blackened Cookies!

• Like 2

What is it about 6 year old DDs? Saturday night I am lying in bed, not falling asleep and all the sudden my 6 year old DD is standing by my bed. Scared the carp out of me. Her sister had crawled into bed with her and now she couldn't go to sleep. Sister was asleep. So, I walked her to her room, put her in sister's bed. And then I still couldn't fall asleep because I was afraid she'd get up again and come into my room and scare me again.😩

I don't know. My 6yo dd is jumping from sofa to sofa. The same activity that resulted in a broken arm 6 months ago. Granted, the sofas are in a different position, with less probability of breaking an arm again, but anything can happen. I'm still telling her at least once a day to not jump from sofa to sofa.  :svengo:

• Like 2

Good morning!

It is dd11's birthday today! After dh's dentist appointment, we are going to the community pool (they have added a new "splash park") with a picnic lunch and then we'll go to the petstore for dd11 to buy a couple of budgies (parakeets) that she has been saving for. She requested quiche and corned beef hash :ack2: for birthday breakfast, and key lime pie for birthday cake. :)

:hurray: engagement!

:hurray: new driver!

(((Jean and Events Planner))) praying for you

:hurray: luuknam feeling better and birthday celebrating!

:hurray: planners

:hurray: tasmanian rabbit trails!

Everyone is reported to the edpo-sedpo po po. :D

Coffee!

Happy birthday, Susan's DD!

In the middle of breakfast, dd19 got all excited about seeing a large owl perch on our mailbox. It looked like it was carrying something! She made dd11 run out to the mailbox where she found a wand and a letter addressed to dd11, bedroom next to the bathroom, etc., etc. :D It was awesome. :wub:

How wonderful!  What fun!

I don't know. My 6yo dd is jumping from sofa to sofa. The same activity that resulted in a broken arm 6 months ago. Granted, the sofas are in a different position, with less probability of breaking an arm again, but anything can happen. I'm still telling her at least once a day to not jump from sofa to sofa.  :svengo:

Wait...NOT jumping from sofa to sofa is a thing?  I thought it came standard on all models.

• Like 2

Wait...NOT jumping from sofa to sofa is a thing?  I thought it came standard on all models.

She has permission to jump on my larger, safer bed. The one she practices doing front flips with no hands. But, she wants to jump and watch tv. I really need to purchase an indoor trampoline.

• Like 1

Girls are registered for school; I'm going to be a retired homeschooling mom this fall after almost 7 years. :crying: All they have to do now is score well on their math placement. Which is harder than it sounds b/c they have diagnosed anxiety and testing is what brings it out. We are reviewing. Everyone at the school seems to know and love them from their 2 classes last year, but they are still unhappy. They prefer to indulge their social anxiety by never leaving the house. I'd prefer to keep them and do 2 classes again, but DH is against it. He was never a homeschool fan even though DS is now far, far ahead of everyone in his classes. 

Stayed up too late and took a loooong nap after we got back from the school because it was raining and rain makes me sleepy. It was lovely; having big kids is great.

DD's birthday is tomorrow and she's driving us crazy w/ excitement. She's a sanguine extrovert in a family of melancholic or phlegmatic introverts. 

I got a notification from the lab to view my test results from last week. Turns out I failed the 1hr glucose. Sad. The doctor should have known by Weds or Thursday, however: Why haven't they called to schedule a 3 hr test? Do they not care? I failed it wildly; not borderline. I've never had GD before but it would figure b/c this pregnancy seems designed to make me be at peace with never being pregnant again. Baby is measuring small, however, so I think I may pass the 3hr still. 

How old are your children?

Dh has asked me not to buy brown rice anymore. Unfortunately, we have about 15 # left to get through.

Where does everyone sit on the rice divide? Personally. I prefer Basmati. The kids like Jasmine.

I get instant brown rice.  :leaving:

It's already done.

If I don't dump the credits, ds16 won't be able to play sports this fall.  Since he is hoping to get a soccer scholarship, playing soccer is more important than keeping the credits.  

I am keeping the Algebra I credit and noting that it was taken in 8th grade.

What about just noting "classes taken in 8th" and keeping the credits. The credits just don't count in the gpa. It would still show just 4 years in high school. At least, that's what I read on the high school board.

• Like 1

I'm waiting in line at the AFSA. I'm buying 20 bottles of baby oil. I told Dd that we will be having greased baby races at camp. Who said that I would run out of ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're greasing up babies and doing what???

• Like 2

I took Neko to the vet this morning bright and early.  The doctor wanted to hospitalize him but I said that I would consider that idea after they've done blood work and we know more.  I just got a call that his kidney levels are high so they are doing a urinalysis now. 

Poor Neko. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

• Like 2

Dh's phone idea is to have a "household cell" that stays in the kitchen tethered(?) to the charging station. Our landline bill (AT&T) runs $60-65 per month and another cell with our carrier (Cricket) would only cost $10. Apparently our local police and 911 can find us easily through GPS, but it would be a good idea to write down our address and keep it there in case it's an emergency and we can't remember our address in the panic.

• Like 5

I woke up too early from a dream that I was nursing a baby and making a video blog entry while driving. :eek:

Can't you get a ticket for that??

Not in dreamland, apparently.

Not that I wanted the dream to continue...but I was very disturbed and couldn't get back to sleep!

• Like 1

Dh's phone idea is to have a "household cell" that stays in the kitchen tethered(?) to the charging station. Our landline bill (AT&T) runs $60-65 per month and another cell with our carrier (Cricket) would only cost $10. Apparently our local police and 911 can find us easily through GPS, but it would be a good idea to write down our address and keep it there in case it's an emergency and we can't remember our address in the panic.

I expect to be the one of the last places in the US to give up the land line. No cell service at the house most of the time. Many places just north and south of us, no cell service at all, especially up in the mountains.

Most of our emergency planning is probably going to include changing a tire on the side of the road (look out for fire-ant hills--for real, actually happened to me), figuring out the distance to the nearest high spot to call for help (based on an actual scenario that happened to a member of the family on one of the coldest nights of the year in the mountains), making sure to carry all equipment pertinent to repairing minor automobile problems, never neglecting the care of your vehicle, making sure you give the times of departure and estimated arrivals to people on both ends of your destination (also based on an actual event), and making sure you keep food, water and something to use as shelter in your vehicle at all times.

• Like 4

What about just noting "classes taken in 8th" and keeping the credits. The credits just don't count in the gpa. It would still show just 4 years in high school. At least, that's what I read on the high school board.

His transcript is actually going to look better with the dropped classes, for the most part.  He had a lot of English and History credits.

I *might* put Economics and Government back in as completed in 8th grade, but he has a full credit of Political Science and he'll have a full credit of Consumer Math, so it would be kind of redundant in my opinion.

He will graduate with 27 or 28 credits, even after dumping the classes.

I talked with him last night about it and he really doesn't have to do much extra -- maybe 1/2 credit of English elective.

• Like 4