Menu

Ignore this thread!

Notes on soup: these recipes are tripled or quadrupled. They freeze well. 102 oz is the big food service size can of tomato stuff that I get at Sam's Club or GFS. I usually use turkey broth because I make lots of turkey broth (like 2-3 gallons) whenever we eat roast turkey and I keep it in the freezer until I make soup. Chicken broth is what the original recipes called for.

Tomato Bisque (6 meals, about 3 gallons)

1/2 C butter

1/4 C olive oil

4 onions, chopped

Salt & pepper

1 C flour

2 6oz can tomato paste

4 carrots, finely grated

2 tsp thyme

4 tsp basil

1 gallon (4 qt) turkey broth

102 oz crushed tomatoes

102 oz diced tomatoes

2 T honey

1C cream

(Serve with sour cream & shredded cheese or cheese crackers)

Saute onion in butter/oil; stir in flour and tomato paste. Add remaining ingredients except cream. Bring to boil, simmer 30 minutes, stir in cream

Cream of Broccoli (makes 2.5 gallons - 5 meals)

3 bags (3 lb) frozen broccoli

1/2C butter

1/4C olive oil

2 onions

24oz sliced Mushrooms

1C flour

4 qt (1 gal.) turkey broth

2 qt milk

1/4C Worchestershire

1C bacon crumbles

Shredded cheese for garnish

Lightly steam broccoli. Saute onion and mushrooms in butter/oil. Stir in flour. Add remaining ingredients except milk, bring to boil; lower heat, add milk and simmer 20 minutes.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

Gymnast is having a really good time, despite anxiety. She came off the stage Friday night after her second character, with this huge smile. She kept saying how she used to be really scared, but now she wasn't and she got out there and really did it and she really liked it and she did really good and she wasn't scared any more. :D

:hurray: We are so proud of her!

Just one. The schedule is Friday night, Saturday matinee, Saturday night, Sunday matinee. We keep the next weekend open for church bookings, but were only booked for Friday night.

Whew - that's a big schedule!

• Like 2

My AFSA has curbside pick up with no tipping allowed. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking I may never have to actually go inside again!

I'm also that mom that waits until the last minute to tell the kids most things.

When ds16 was almost 3 we went on vacation to San Diego.   :001_tt1:  We told him 10 minutes before we boarded the plane.   :laugh:

(He thought we were just at the airport to *watch* the planes.  He didn't know he was going to ride in one!)

And, yes, he was  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  for the next 10 minutes, which was OK because we were already in the boarding area, not trying to maneuver around a large airport.

I took my DS on vacation once and didn't tell him until we got there. He thought we were "going to a new park." I packed his stuff and put it in the back w/out him noticing and told the other kids to keep their mouths shut. It was only 3hrs away, and he went along with my, "just a few minutes more," and "oh, this is harder to get to than I thought!" It was awesome- no whining about not wanting to go nonstop for days, and although he was mad at first, he now says it was his favorite vacation. DS has OCD and his perseveration of thought can be a nightmare! 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Wanna hear something dirty?

A pig fell in the mud.

That was my grandmother's favorite joke. Do you want to hear something dirtier? The pig got out and fell in the mud again.

• Like 8

:grouphug: for ds and dh and you.

As for your dd.... very exciting! Do you have a big pile of stuff to move in with her? A friend of mine and I have been laughing at the difference between dorm preparations for her dd vs. for my ds. Very different experiences, lol. We spent less than an hour at the AFSA and were basically finished.

:D Dd is asking for boxes. Big boxes. I suspect she will take everything but the kitchen sink. Which is good because their dorm room already has a full kitchen including a sink, and we need ours! And she needs her tea pot, and mugs, and boxes of tea, and all. the. books, and her laundry stuff, and towels, and bedding, and favorite things...

• Like 5

My wife was reading some proposed rules for green card applicants. If it happens, I'm going to need someone to offer me a job that pays 3x the median wage. Anyone willing to help out a friend? :)

On the bright side, she said it was a terribly unreliable source, and that odds are there will be exemptions for renewals and spouses and all that kind of stuff (if it's even true to begin with, and if it passes, and all that kind of stuff... mine is still good for almost 2 years anyway). 

• Like 3

*Jo

See! Susan has a freezer! Everyone go get a freezer.

As soon as someone is willing to pay for it, I'll get one!

My parents bought us our first one years and years ago. When it finally died, we went and got another one because we weren't sure we could live without it. First one's free, then they've got you hooked!

• Like 4

My wife was reading some proposed rules for green card applicants. If it happens, I'm going to need someone to offer me a job that pays 3x the median wage. Anyone willing to help out a friend? :)

On the bright side, she said it was a terribly unreliable source, and that odds are there will be exemptions for renewals and spouses and all that kind of stuff (if it's even true to begin with, and if it passes, and all that kind of stuff... mine is still good for almost 2 years anyway).

Do you just need the offer under these rules...or the actual job? Because I'm pretty sure I could offer. It's the paying you part that I would have a problem with the follow through.

• Like 7

Do you just need the offer under these rules...or the actual job? Because I'm pretty sure I could offer. It's the paying you part that I would have a problem with the follow through.

I dunno. I'm not going to worry about it now... it's probably just a boy cries wolf kind of thing. 

Edpo. I just spent an hour planning this coming week. I didn't think I'd take that long. Now I'm going to go to bed too late, sleep in, and then toss it all out when I wake up. 

• Like 6

I want to go home.

I'm so sorry!! I want you to go home, too!!

Crossing my fingers that I actually get sleep tonight.   :svengo:

Hope you do! So far, I'm not.

((Spud))

hope you both sleep well. I'm thinking I probably won't. I'm terribly stressed. Things aren't going well at all with Difficult DS.
  • Like 1

hope you both sleep well. I'm thinking I probably won't. I'm terribly stressed. Things aren't going well at all with Difficult DS.

Hope you (et al.) sleep well. I hope things will go better with your son. Sleep often makes stuff look not quite as bad as it does late at night. 

• Like 4

Good morning!

(((Krissi)))

Good luck with your first day, Lynn & Girls!

Everybody go home!

Hope you slept, Junie.

I managed to get all the clean laundry put away and a couple things cleaned up. We have a full day of school today, only interrupted by an orthodontist appointment this morning. Some counties' public schools start today, though our county starts on Thursday.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Let's see. Laundry in. Dishes not. I have caffeine. I ought to edit some more this morning. It's the last week of summer term, but I might stretch that out for a week or more just to finish up a few things.

The writing contest closed last night. I'm one of over 3000 entries. :svengo:

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Monday!!😩😩😩

Slept better than expected!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Kittens to the vet today so we don't get more kittens.ðŸˆðŸˆðŸˆðŸˆðŸˆðŸ‘ŽðŸ‘ŽðŸ‘ŽðŸ˜±

• Like 8

My microwave is broken. From this day forth, I must be vigilant about drinking my coffee before it gets cold.

Yesterday, I told dh that I needed to gather all the trash up because today is trash day. He told me not to worry about it; he would take care of it while I was at a birthday party. This morning I realized we have different definitions of gather all the trash. To him, it means take the kitchen trash out. It did not include the trash under my desk, or in the schoolroom, or in either bathroom, or anything left on counters and tabletops. I took care of it in time to get it to the curb.

I started laundry.

I lied to Captain Mal. I told him they don't make diapers in his size anymore so he has to use the potty. They do still make 'special nighttime undies' that only work between 7 pm and 7 am.

I must school the children. But first, I will drink my coffee so it doesn't get cold.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 9

My stress levels are too high right now.  All I know to do about it is to do the next thing to hopefully move some things off of my plate.  I can't do anything about the medical stuff hanging over our heads because that is on it's own time table.  I also pray about it but that hasn't been a magic "get out of stress" card.  I think this is all a result of me teaching about "Trust and Obey".  Perhaps I should start teaching about something else instead.  Something that is easy to learn / put into practice.  ;) 

• Like 6

I slept until 9:30!!

I didn't fall asleep until after 3, then dd6 woke me up at 4 because she had a headache.

I'll admit, I was not pleasant at 4 a.m.  and I had to purposely stop being angry so that I could go back to sleep.

Sigh.

At least the kiddos let me sleep in.

• Like 9

I slept until 9:30!!

I didn't fall asleep until after 3, then dd6 woke me up at 4 because she had a headache.

I'll admit, I was not pleasant at 4 a.m. and I had to purposely stop being angry so that I could go back to sleep.

Sigh.

At least the kiddos let me sleep in.

What is it about 6 year old DDs? Saturday night I am lying in bed, not falling asleep and all the sudden my 6 year old DD is standing by my bed. Scared the carp out of me. Her sister had crawled into bed with her and now she couldn't go to sleep. Sister was asleep. So, I walked her to her room, put her in sister's bed. And then I still couldn't fall asleep because I was afraid she'd get up again and come into my room and scare me again.😩
  • Like 5

My microwave is broken. From this day forth, I must be vigilant about drinking my coffee before it gets cold.

Yesterday, I told dh that I needed to gather all the trash up because today is trash day. He told me not to worry about it; he would take care of it while I was at a birthday party. This morning I realized we have different definitions of gather all the trash. To him, it means take the kitchen trash out. It did not include the trash under my desk, or in the schoolroom, or in either bathroom, or anything left on counters and tabletops. I took care of it in time to get it to the curb.

I started laundry.

I lied to Captain Mal. I told him they don't make diapers in his size anymore so he has to use the potty. They do still make 'special nighttime undies' that only work between 7 pm and 7 am.

I must school the children. But first, I will drink my coffee so it doesn't get cold.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

You did not lie; you chose an effective parenting strategy.  Much like I did years ago with the judicious use of, "Do I need to call 1-800-Santa?"

• Like 6

My stress levels are too high right now.  All I know to do about it is to do the next thing to hopefully move some things off of my plate.  I can't do anything about the medical stuff hanging over our heads because that is on it's own time table.  I also pray about it but that hasn't been a magic "get out of stress" card.  I think this is all a result of me teaching about "Trust and Obey".  Perhaps I should start teaching about something else instead.  Something that is easy to learn / put into practice.  ;)

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1