Menu

Ignore this thread!

Oooh, that's ugly. I'm glad you spoke up.

Jeannie for President. Vote ITT!! The only Party that Makes Sense.

Ooooh, and this is an ITT in the White House Booya/h!!!!

And speaking of Jeannie's cabinet members, I think JJM would make an excellent Secretary of Defense.

Sign. Me. Up.  rambo-with-gun.gif

• Like 8

I mopped the kitchen floor so critter doesn't have to clean.

ETA: I hate mopping the kitchen. We have one of those floors that hides dirt well. Unfortunately, that means it never actually looks clean to me either.

President -- Jean in Newcastle

Vice President -- Openhearted (Dawn)

Secretary of State -- Ellie

Secretary of the Treasury -- lotsoflittleducklings

Secretary of Defense -- JoJosMom

Attorney General -- Ikslo

Secretary of the Interior -- whitehawk

Secretary of Agriculture -- KrissiK

Secretary of Commerce -- Slache

Secretary of Labor -- myblessings4

Secretary of Health and Human Services -- prairiewindmomma

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development -- AMJ

Secretary of Transportation -- AnotherLynn

Secretary of Energy -- Slache

Secretary of Education -- Susan Wise Bauer

Secretary of Veterans Affairs -- AnotherLynn

Secretary of Homeland Security -- whitehawk

Secretary of Music -- Susan in TN

Secretary of Literature and Poetry -- Critterfixer

CIA Director -- Renaissance (aka Renai)

Secretary of Encouragment -- ProfessorMom (Heather)

Secretary of Cyber Security -- Ikslo

Secretary of Homeland Repairs -- lotsoflittleducklings

Edited by Junie
  • Like 8

Pain pain? I don't suppose you can break a bone without knowing it, can you? (((Mr. Renai)))

(Has he had a previous injury there?)

Actually yes, one can break a bone and not know it.  I broke a sesamoid bone in my foot doing nothing special.

• Like 1

Hmm. I get daily notifications/summary that only show me what has new posts. It might be a totally new post or it might be a few old posts with new replies.

I got a response back from the support people, and yes, the programmed behavior is to sort the posts listed by most recent activity.  I pointed out how this manages to bury important recent posts notifying neighbors of problems and issues -- things we need to see promptly -- beneath idle chatter about old stuff.  She agreed, and forwarded on my request for improvement to the big pile of similar requests asking for exactly the same thing.  She says Nextdoor is still tweaking and improving, and she hopes they will add the ability to sort by original post date/time soon.

• Like 3

Vice President

Secretary of State

Secretary of the Treasury

Attorney General

Secretary of the Interior

Secretary of Agriculture

Secretary of Commerce

Secretary of Health and Human Services

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development

Secretary of Transportation

Secretary of Energy

Secretary of Education

Secretary of Veterans Affairs

Secretary of Homeland Security

Sign me up as Secretary of Agriculture.
  • Like 6

Nextdoor.com. It's a message board for neighborhoods around the nation. There are sections for neighborhood news and chats, crime reports and classified ads. Our little city has lost its local newspaper so we discuss all sorts of things. This lady though was on a rant about how immigrants have pushed "regular" people out of their place of privilege. It wasn't pretty.

Yeah, I'm currently trying to get the feel of the Nextdoor users around here.  One gal in an adjacent neighborhood asked that people please consider others when deciding to light off fireworks in the street, since there are cars and property that can be damaged, neighbors who can be hurt without warning, and debris all over the place because the ones shooting off fireworks don't bother cleaning up the pavement or what gets scattered across others' yards.  I thought her post was worded politely enough, but some mouthy guy in my neighborhood (not even one of HER neighbors) told her to move her car, and if she came from some liberal place like CA to remember "the highway runs both ways".

I contemplated responding to that guy to politely remind him to stay polite and on-topic, but Nextdoor will show my name and street to him (because he is in MY neighborhood), and I live on a short street (one block cul-de-sac).  Quite frankly there are some people about I would expect retaliation from, and with my name and street out there I could be too easy to find.

I decided to try Nextdoor because I need a better way to get notifications of stuff happening around here.  The local newspaper is a weekly freebie that gets tossed in driveways on a highly irregular schedule.  I simply cannot rely on it for timely information on break-ins and the like, nor can I count on it being in readable condition by the time I get it if it has rained or if a puddle was left over.  I think Nextdoor has some possibilities, so I hope they develop things further.

I also think I'll need to speak to my neighborhood's leaders about how the alerts get used (urgent text messages meant to forewarn the immediate area).  I peeked at some, and while a local shooting at a business (rare occasion here) and a notice about some suspicious people canvasing the area did get sent out as an alert so did several messages about found pets.  When a system meant for urgent warnings of immediate impact to the recipients gets used for other purposes it encourages people to either unsubscribe to the alert system or never sign up to begin with, just to avoid being disturbed at night or in meetings by alarms stating someone found a puppy.  They have other classifications for found pet notices (lost & found, pets, classifieds), so the text alert classification isn't needed for those.

• Like 1

Ah.  It's one of those things for people who live where there's food delivery!  :laugh:

Actually, my ILs' "neighborhood" also is on Nextdoor.  That division is a bunch of ranchettes (5+ acres each), with no food delivery other than having people coming over bring it with them.

Jean, does your local government not do email or social media? For announcements, that's where I go. Traffic accidents on Twitter, city council agendas and minutes via email and on the web site, etc.

We festivaled. By the time it was getting uncomfortably hot and crowded, we we were leaving. I think this was our 10th year attending--we know what we like to do.

It's the kitty's birthday! (We don't know whether she's 12 or 13. She's a hand-me-down.) She doesn't like treats and has too many toys, so I don't think we're doing anything for her. If I bought her a kitten, DH would be horrified, and she might not enjoy it herself.

• Like 4

I just joined ours, too, and I feel the same way about ours as you do. Honestly, I don't pay much attention. It's a little overwhelming.

It is, but I'm taking it in chunks.  I started with the Crime & Safety category and really scrolled through a lot of stuff there to make sure I saw all of the recent original posts.  I figure if I check that category every morning and/or evening I should be able to catch most notifications of import to me/us.  When we are gone on trips that will be more problematic, but I can perhaps get others to text me if anything really important crops up.

I figure check Crime & Safety first, then check the main page and other categories to see what is discussed latest.  This way if I run short of time I'll at least have made sure to look for the police, fire, and sheriff notifications.

Hmm, I'll have to see if they have any groups/organizations providing weather warnings (hurricane, flooding, etc.)....

I did take the time to go add a recommendation for our new Japanese restaurant, and our favorite Mexican restaurant.  Gotta support our local businesses that do good things!

Oooh, that's ugly. I'm glad you spoke up.

Jeannie for President. Vote ITT!! The only Party that Makes Sense.

Ooooh, and this is an ITT in the White House Booya/h!!!!

And speaking of Jeannie's cabinet members, I think JJM would make an excellent Secretary of Defense.

Nan for Secretary of Education, and Ellie for Secretary of State!  We can have hula-ing ambassadors!

• Like 4

AMJ should do housing and urban development so that she can give us all sound-baffled houses with appropriate bat-caves for relaxing with waterfalls and squishy chairs and all.

Oh, Yay!  I can do that!!!!

And plenty of parks and green spaces -- they make people feel better, help wildlife, and reduce the urban heat-island effect.

• Like 4

Does anyone else remember when this happened?

WARNING:  Turn your volume down -- a lot.  

I remember hearing about that!

And I heard someone in there saying what was going through half of my mind, "This is the best fireworks show ever!"

Nobody got hurt, right?  It would totally spoil it if anyone got hurt.

Vice President 

Secretary of State 

Attorney General 

Secretary of Commerce 

Secretary of Health and Human Services 

Secretary of Energy 

Secretary of Education 

I nominate Slache for Energy, since she seems to have all that energy for doing stuff like exercise. 

I don't think I qualify, since I'm not a citizen (well, not of the US, anyway).

• Like 7

Yeah, I'm currently trying to get the feel of the Nextdoor users around here.  One gal in an adjacent neighborhood asked that people please consider others when deciding to light off fireworks in the street, since there are cars and property that can be damaged, neighbors who can be hurt without warning, and debris all over the place because the ones shooting off fireworks don't bother cleaning up the pavement or what gets scattered across others' yards.  I thought her post was worded politely enough, but some mouthy guy in my neighborhood (not even one of HER neighbors) told her to move her car, and if she came from some liberal place like CA to remember "the highway runs both ways".

I contemplated responding to that guy to politely remind him to stay polite and on-topic, but Nextdoor will show my name and street to him (because he is in MY neighborhood), and I live on a short street (one block cul-de-sac).  Quite frankly there are some people about I would expect retaliation from, and with my name and street out there I could be too easy to find.

I decided to try Nextdoor because I need a better way to get notifications of stuff happening around here.  The local newspaper is a weekly freebie that gets tossed in driveways on a highly irregular schedule.  I simply cannot rely on it for timely information on break-ins and the like, nor can I count on it being in readable condition by the time I get it if it has rained or if a puddle was left over.  I think Nextdoor has some possibilities, so I hope they develop things further.

I also think I'll need to speak to my neighborhood's leaders about how the alerts get used (urgent text messages meant to forewarn the immediate area).  I peeked at some, and while a local shooting at a business (rare occasion here) and a notice about some suspicious people canvasing the area did get sent out as an alert so did several messages about found pets.  When a system meant for urgent warnings of immediate impact to the recipients gets used for other purposes it encourages people to either unsubscribe to the alert system or never sign up to begin with, just to avoid being disturbed at night or in meetings by alarms stating someone found a puppy.  They have other classifications for found pet notices (lost & found, pets, classifieds), so the text alert classification isn't needed for those.

A lot of it depends on the moderators  Most of the moderators in this area (because I'm in a city I see the feeds of ten or more small neighborhoods so that I can see the a bigger picture of the area) are really good about shutting down rude talk and behavior immediately.  But there was one bully moderator who was using her position to bully anyone who didn't do things her way.  That person was decried loudly and was herself censored.  I was just poking around the site and apparently there is a way to report people who do not follow Community Guidelines.  I saw the instructions in the Help section but have never done it. 

Most people in our area are pretty polite about everything.  But there are a couple of people who cross the line on occasion. 

Jean, does your local government not do email or social media? For announcements, that's where I go. Traffic accidents on Twitter, city council agendas and minutes via email and on the web site, etc.

We festivaled. By the time it was getting uncomfortably hot and crowded, we we were leaving. I think this was our 10th year attending--we know what we like to do.

It's the kitty's birthday! (We don't know whether she's 12 or 13. She's a hand-me-down.) She doesn't like treats and has too many toys, so I don't think we're doing anything for her. If I bought her a kitten, DH would be horrified, and she might not enjoy it herself.

No email but they do have a website.  They just revamped the website to make it actually readable.  I need to get in the  habit of looking there now. 

It is also Libby's birthday.  Libby's official name is Liberty Belle.  Get it?  She hates all the loud booms on her birthday. 

• Like 8

No email but they do have a website.  They just revamped the website to make it actually readable.  I need to get in the  habit of looking there now. 

It is also Libby's birthday.  Libby's official name is Liberty Belle.  Get it?  She hates all the loud booms on her birthday. 

We kidded about naming youngest Liberty, but we're pretty traditional with names, so we didn't do it.  

• Like 5

Happy birthday, Kitty!

My local town has a website that is hard to navigate.  They might do Facebook but I don't, ditto Twitter.  They send out quarterly town newsletters that inform us of "upcoming" events that already happened the month before.  Our townette doesn't get much mention in the local news, and when it does the details are usually sadly lacking or erroneous.

Luckily we also have a good police department and fire department and low enough activity it's easy to get someone from one of them to stop a moment to say Hi when we see them out and about.  And the gals behind the counter at City Hall have been helpful when I've asked them who to contact about various things.  (I hope to see a blue reflector placed for our fire hydrant this month.)

• Like 2

I nominate Slache for Energy, since she seems to have all that energy for doing stuff like exercise. 

I don't think I qualify, since I'm not a citizen (well, not of the US, anyway).

Well, if citizenship prevents you from one of the cabinet positions you can still be Jean's NL advisor and diplomat!

• Like 2

A lot of it depends on the moderators  Most of the moderators in this area (because I'm in a city I see the feeds of ten or more small neighborhoods so that I can see the a bigger picture of the area) are really good about shutting down rude talk and behavior immediately.  But there was one bully moderator who was using her position to bully anyone who didn't do things her way.  That person was decried loudly and was herself censored.  I was just poking around the site and apparently there is a way to report people who do not follow Community Guidelines.  I saw the instructions in the Help section but have never done it. 

Most people in our area are pretty polite about everything.  But there are a couple of people who cross the line on occasion. 

Thanks, I'll go looking for those instructions.  With luck I won't ever actually have to use them.

Happy birthday, Libby!  I hope they get their booms over with quickly so you can get a good night's rest after your festivities.

• Like 1

Make me do something.  I've already set the bacon ablaze but I don't think that really counts as getting something done. 

How considerate of you to provide Libby with non-booming fireworks!

Go pet your pup and tell her what a good girl she is.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly she was (is?) a wonderful gal full of homeschooling advice and real-life perspective on TWTM forums.

Has she posted on the ITT?  I don't remember her.

I thought maybe we could give the Education position to SWB.

• Like 8

Probably not what you're looking for, but for fun, did you look at Slangman Kids Spanish books?

Thanks!

Vice President 

Secretary of State -- Ellie

Attorney General 

Secretary of Commerce -- Slache

Secretary of Health and Human Services -- prairiewindmomma

Secretary of Energy -- Slache

Secretary of Education 

I don't do things.
  • Like 1

I'll leave VP open in case someone else wants it.  (Slache already has two positions.)

I put SWB as Education Secretary.

And I put Lynn in for Veterans Affairs.   :patriot:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6

I mopped the kitchen floor so critter doesn't have to clean.

ETA: I hate mopping the kitchen. We have one of those floors that hides dirt well. Unfortunately, that means it never actually looks clean to me either.

Edited by lanalouwho
  • Like 4