Menu

Ignore this thread!

Are you using CAP's AoA? I feel like I remember seeing another one. It may be the coffee talking.

We liked Art Of Argument.  Discovery of Deduction was okay.  Didn't really care for The Argument Builder.

• Like 2

Anyone who says we shouldn't teach logic is suspect in my book. If we don't teach logic, what will we replace it with- blind acceptance of whatever we tell them? I want my kids to know how to think more than I want anything else in their education. That will allow them to make wise choices wherever they go. Sometimes adults are wrong. Kids should know that. History is full of adults being really, really wrong. Thank goodness children in the past have been able to grow and think for themselves and fix some of the mistakes of the past 

Yup, critical thinking is a necessary life skill.

My children drank all the root beer. :sad:

I still have a bottle of birch beer I am trying not to drink.  (I love birch beer!)  Shall I send it your way?

• Like 1

Y'all...I'm about to be admitted to the looney bin. 

We've had roofers here for 2 days, the air compressor for whatever they're doing up there is so darn loud, and now someone is in my daughter's room with an electric saw or whatnot to fix her ceiling. (HUGE hole from a leak.) 

I'm a "Highly Sensitive Person", so and noise affects me a lot. I'm going insane.

SO MUCH NOISE  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Let's go run away and visit Renai together!  We can swing by Critter's on the way and pick her up, and then Renai can show us her rivers and waterfalls.

• Like 3

It's 1:30 and I haven't done a damn thing all day. I'm somehow incapable of making myself get up and do something.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Sounds like your system is busy fighting something off.  You can help it best by taking a rest day.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 3

That was quite a ketchup.

I had my crown fixed (ish) today.  I took ds to TKD.  I went to Staples to get a crazy amount printed/copied for next school year.  This took about 3 or 4 hours of driving total.  I have had a nap.  I am still exhausted.

I might try to defend the statement about logic in Consider This, but I'm too tired to do it right now.  Because my theological views hold that humans are fallen sinners, I believe that our own attempts at logical thinking are susceptible to distortion and deception and therefore we should not trust it blindly just because we have slapped the "logic" label on it.  I should probably re-read pg. 79 before I say more.  

• Like 2

Yeah..it's like she's hiding in a bush trying to lure you with coffee.

Not to be morbid and creepy...

Exactly what I was thinking.  All my senses were screaming, "Don't go in there!"

• Like 2

We have both on the schedule for next year.  :closedeyes:

Well, you're halfway there, then!  :laugh:

Prairie, were you asking earlier about DO Physics but we weren't far enough along to review?  If so, I am glad to give it 2 thumbs up.

• Like 2

Well, and I wouldn't disagree with that. That's why Catholics talk about having a properly formed conscience -- you need to let the teaching of Christ shape your conscience otherwise you'll convince yourself of whatever you want based on feelings. But the fault lies not in logic, but in ourselves, Dear Brutus. So, yes, warn your children of the limits of our human ability to use logic. But don't let that scare you off from studying logic itself, bc after all God is Logos. Truth and goodness and beauty itself, united.

That's my take.

Yes, human logic is faulty, but that's no excuse to not do our best. How much worse would it be if we didn't try? We have discussions, peer review, etc. to minimize our chances of mistake and we teach humility and that we should always be open to a better logical argument and the chance that we are wrong.

The people in the church get stuff wrong- we have to teach our kids to be skeptical. Blind adherence to doctrine and the church is what got Galileo burned at the stake. 

• Like 3

Awesome!  DO Physics is still the plan. I just finished re-looking at all of the options, and I think this is still the best option for ds.  

This is the second course we've taken from Mr. Owens.  I have been very impressed with both, and he is so, so wonderful to deal with.  I've been very impressed.

I really like the looks of AofA, but I just .... how does a person fit it all in. Talk about multus non multum. An idea that perhaps I should do block scheduling instead of every subject every day has flitted through my mind.... at least for my 8th grader, but I may toy with that idea a bit for my upcoming 6th grader as well.

• Like 2

YES!  

My steamtable oatmeal arrived today.  I cooked some up to cool and refrigerate for tomorrow's breakfast (after blood draw).  I just tasted it -- that's the stuff!  That's the thicker, stouter rolled oatmeal I was getting at the deli and other restaurants!  I can have the oatmeal I like -- at home!

It will take some patience, though -- it takes 8-10 minutes to cook, and then it's supposed to sit for 30 minutes to finish soaking up the water.  Next week I want to get out a small crock pot or rice steamer and see if I can't do an overnight cook, or one with a timer set to start when I wake up.  If that doesn't work I can keep making it the day before and then nuke it for a few minutes when I want hot oatmeal.

I might also have to try experimenting with cold oatmeal applications.   :laugh:

• Like 5

Ok, and on an entirely different subject altogether.... I kinda think I have another UTI. I got one last month that took two rounds of Bactrim to get rid of and now.... I'm kinda getting symptomatic again. I rarely get them, too. The only thing I'm thinking .... could it possibly be due to the fact that I am now swimming twice a week? And the pool is salt water and not chlorine?

I really like the looks of AofA, but I just .... how does a person fit it all in. Talk about multus non multum. An idea that perhaps I should do block scheduling instead of every subject every day has flitted through my mind.... at least for my 8th grader, but I may toy with that idea a bit for my upcoming 6th grader as well.

“In those days a boy on the classical side officially did almost nothing but

classics. I think this was wise; the greatest service we can do to education

to-day is to teach fewer subjects. No one has time to do more than a very few

things well before he is twenty, and when we force a boy to be a mediocrity

in a dozen subjects we destroy his standards, perhaps for life. Smewgy taught

us Latin and Greek, but everything else came in incidentally.†-C. S. Lewis

Just do that. Easy.

• Like 1

Ok, and on an entirely different subject altogether.... I kinda think I have another UTI. I got one last month that took two rounds of Bactrim to get rid of and now.... I'm kinda getting symptomatic again. I rarely get them, too. The only thing I'm thinking .... could it possibly be due to the fact that I am now swimming twice a week? And the pool is salt water and not chlorine?

Yes, absolutely.

:grouphug:

“In those days a boy on the classical side officially did almost nothing but

classics. I think this was wise; the greatest service we can do to education

to-day is to teach fewer subjects. No one has time to do more than a very few

things well before he is twenty, and when we force a boy to be a mediocrity

in a dozen subjects we destroy his standards, perhaps for life. Smewgy taught

us Latin and Greek, but everything else came in incidentally.†-C. S. Lewis

Just do that. Easy.

Yes.  This exactly.  

And if I had known I was running low on likes, I would have passed up the unicorn and saved my last one for this.  

I am a very, very popular person at my house. I have been handling a foreign cat, and I have to be investigated and re-marked due to the contamination. :laugh:

I'd have a hard time fitting it in if I hadn't moved it to summer quarter. We do it twice a week, and I greatly stream-line the writing exercises. We do a lot more taking than we do writing with Logic. 

I can't do every subject every day or I'd get horribly bored. Or I suppose I could insist on every subject every day, and be bored, and probably have to quell a mutiny.

• Like 1

But neither of you are literally doing this, right? I haven't run into many ppl who are. Didn't even the guy who wrote Latin Centered Learning end up sending his child to school?

no, because my child is no C.S. Lewis. I love the idea, honestly, but how does one get their kid to study? My kids do their assignments, but that's it. They don't study. So, we could spend our time doing Latin and Greek and be done in an hour.

Paige, Galileo died a natural death after being put under a house arrest -- in a mansion-- bc he said his theory meant Scripture must not be inerrant. At least get your facts straight. 🙄

You're right. I meant Giordano Bruno. 

Maybe.  How do you feel about drinking cranberry juice?  For me if I drink it at the first signs I can usually fend off the UTI.  I drink several glasses a day for a few days.

• Like 1

But neither of you are literally doing this, right? I haven't run into many ppl who are. Didn't even the guy who wrote Latin Centered Learning end up sending his child to school?

I think so.  Also, as a side note, (going from the first edition of Latin Centered Curriculum), I thought it was not that different from Ambleside Online - just rearranged quite a bit to put the bulk of the readings as after school readings.   :001_rolleyes:

In theory, yes. In reality? Ask me in 12 years.

I love his discussion about that particular teacher. :laugh:

I haven't read the book. :leaving:   

Been a while since I've had a booyah.

Clearly, as you've forgotten how to spell it.
  • Like 4

Maybe I should just shut up, but...

My last comment was snarky, and I apologize. But your OP really seemed to be insinuating that holding fast to the doctrines of my faith not only makes me illogical but violent? Responsible for other people's violence hundreds of years ago in a different culture? What? That really crosses a line for me. And that other people I like and respect liked that comment just twists the knife.

Anyway, it's been a long and sh!tty day and I'm going to go to bed now and stay off ITT for a few days.

You have misunderstood me. My point of view is that there can be no incompatibility with truths so people of faith should not be scared of logic or science. Faithful, religious people often pursue logic and science as a way to be closer to God and deepen their faith. You have Pascal, Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, and many other individuals who devoted themselves to logic and the church. 

I don't think holding onto doctrine means you are illogical or violent and I did not anticipate that my post would be interpreted in that way. I do know that doctrine has evolved over the years, however, and I think we should keep an open mind. The future is best predicted by the past, so it is likely that as we understand more of the universe or other parts of the natural world, a new understanding of traditional doctrine in some areas may emerge. 

I'm also a little sensitive on this subject because we recently took my kids to a science museum and my MIL went through the whole exhibit on the Universe that I wanted the kids to learn from telling my kids what a bunch of lies it all was. It was very frustrating.  

• Like 4