Menu

Ignore this thread!

was I yelling it at you?? I don't think I was using caps. Sorry!!

It was the exclamation points!!

Yes, he's American. My friend just said that she didn't expect him to know that. I'm like, really? It's like Italy is the boot and Cape Cod is an arm? Apparently I overestimate people's intelligence. ;)

I've never heard the arm thing before. Maybe that's what he meant. Eta: We're on page 1954.

Edited by Slache

I know what it means, I just didn't understand why she was yelling it at me. Charlotte Mason wrote about spreading a feast in front of her children, allowing them to gorge on what looked yummiest. How does one marry that thought with focusing on the few?

What? You want me to respond or something? My feeling is that the idea of the feast is in quality more than quantity. So focus on a few areas but have materials rich in ideas.

I would think that you expose them to the feast. Introduce lots of new ideas and thoughts and beautiful things. As they find things that they are interested in, let them wallow in those areas. Don't force them to taste everything on the table, so to speak. Let them have their fill of any one dish.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

See, I love all that stuff in theory.... but my homeschooling reality is nothing like that. For me, it's the difference between being literate and educated. My kids don't want to be educated, so I am settling for literate. But, even for myself I had to become an adult before I appreciated education and ideas and the like.
  • Like 5

Yes, he's American. My friend just said that she didn't expect him to know that. I'm like, really? It's like Italy is the boot and Cape Cod is an arm? Apparently I overestimate people's intelligence. ;)

my kids know that!! And that Florida is a gun.
  • Like 2

It was the exclamation points!!

I've never heard the arm thing before. Maybe that's what he meant. Eta: We're on page 1954.

I didn't think she was yelling, fwiw.

No, he really doesn't know where Cape Cod is, and had never heard of it. That's what he said BEFORE I described it. I guess not everyone knows, but the exchange was just weird to me.

• Like 2

Well, in that case it's a mystery for you. :)

Can you see post numbers? The math should be able to help you too.

Nope. I figured out one time how to turn my phone and get a side screen which told me post number, but I forget how to do it now. I needed to clear out space in my brain so that info had to go.

• Like 2

Thanks, JoJosMom, for this timely reminder (on page 173). I was going to cook risotto last night, and in the afternoon I sat down to read some of the pages of ITT I'd opened on Monday... and found out that I didn't buy any wine (I make the risotto with white wine and vegetable broth). So, catastrophe averted. :)

In the meantime, I'm on page 179/page 1948...

Glad to be of service!

No, he really doesn't know where Cape Cod is, and had never heard of it. That's what he said BEFORE I described it. I guess not everyone knows, but the exchange was just weird to me.

I'm with you.  That's weird.  How could one miss that, between American History, Geography, and tabloid stories about the Kennedys? :confused1:

• Like 2

Glad to be of service!

I'm with you. That's weird. How could one miss that, between American History, Geography, and tabloid stories about the Kennedys? :confused1:

Dunno. But then he just walked way in the middle of conversation, too. He's a strange man.

• Like 2

I have called all freaking morning to find a contractor, handyman, window repair person or anybody who will come caulk our windows.  Three hours on the phone, and I found one guy who will maybe come by tomorrow. 

I have spent another two hours trying to find someone who will replace bad boards on our deck. Everyone only wants to do tearaway and new construction.

:cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :nopity:

I wish we lived closer!  I would volunteer DH for the work (he's handy!), and you and I could go play with the kids.

Did I mention that my garage door just broke down and that my vehicle is trapped because the emergency release won't release? I have a repair person coming tomorrow, but I'm having to text friends to arrange a ride home from camp for ds. 

I'm fairly sure we're going to have to replace every darn thing in this house. It's a freaking money pit.

Now that's just too much.  Get your act together, house!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm not feeling normal today.  I've done all the WTM suggestions - food, nap, shower.  Now I'm having decaf.  

Have you had enough hugs today?  This sounds like hug deprivation.  Here's some for you, but I also recommend collecting from multiple IRL people, too.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 2

The plot thickens. As I initially suspected, I do not have an infection. They just assumed it from the amount of blood. I'm supposed to have a CT scan in the next couple of days despite not having time for that. In the meantime I treat myself as best I know how. They suspect exacerbation of yet another chronic pain thing with the added bonus of a kidney stone. (Sarcastic whoopee!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, joy.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

You sure know how to have fun. 

(((Jean)))

I wish I could put you up into a luxury hotel with meal service while fairies came and cleaned and fixed up your house and cared for your pets while Uber drove your kiddos around. 

Not Uber.  Mario likes kids, and is a lot more fun behind the wheel.  He'd be put out if you outsourced this to Uber.

• Like 2

Time for decaf here, too. I've been writing hard for an hour or so.

ETA: It's a productive writing day (despite circumstances) Booyah!

Hooray!   :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

Wait, I thought that was multa non multum? Wasn't festina lente about taking the time to do it well so it's really mastered instead of zipping through with shallow understanding?

They're very integrated. I'm on MNM now.

Like, Slache got an entire page to herself, iirc.

:coolgleamA:

Sometimes, when I see a 5 line paragraph, I want to quote it and say TL;DR.

:lol:

I smell like fresh oregano.

I just worked out in my herb garden. Oregano can take over the world if you let it.

Hey, Spud, there's another plant for you!!

My eyes focused mainly on the "worked out" and then on "in the garden".  What fun!  Cucumber lunges!  Peony push-ups!  And don't forget your deep breathing among the herbs!

• Like 5

I have a headache and my neck hurts. I think I'll take a walk down to the creek and back and stretch a little bit.

Good plan.  Did it help?

• Like 1

My headache is mostly gone. I dozed off for about 20 minutes and that helped. Also, more coffee.

We have to leave in a half-hour for tonight's ridiculous "mini performance" of the show. Essentially, the director cut some songs and some scenes and printed out a list of song cuts and seemingly random lines and it occasionally says "blackout"; Sets, Props, Costumes, Sound, and Lights are supposed to magically know what is going on and get everything and everybody into place at the right time. It's taken me three 4-hour tech/dress rehearsals and 10 hours at home making documents to coordinate set changes and make diagrams for the full show, and we're supposed to just throw this together tonight without any rehearsal.

I will do my best to work it out because the kids have worked so hard to put on this show and they need to have some direction in this, but it's just a bunch of unnecessary stress that nobody needs to deal with. Dd18 is not happy about it. She pretty much has the entire show memorized and even she couldn't make heads or tails of the mini-show directions.

Heere Endeth the Tale of the Stupid Mini-Show.

Sounds like the director needs a come-to-your-senses talk.  And to be forced to be actively involved in the actual back-stage work.  He (she?) clearly doesn't have any idea how much work it all is.

Wait, I thought that was multa non multum? Wasn't festina lente about taking the time to do it well so it's really mastered instead of zipping through with shallow understanding?

Multa non multum is "much not many" which is basically digging deeper into fewer subjects instead of shallowly covering a lot. Like.... history for example. DS did "Adam to Us" this year. The entire sweep of world history in a year. But, TWTM covers world history in 4 years and digs a little deeper.
  • Like 3

A father at the park said he hasn't seen me lately. Where you been? I responded with: vacation.

Oh, yeah? Where'd you go?

Cape Cod.

What's Cape Cod?

[blank stare, wondering if he was serious.] Then: Massachusetts. You know, the arm that sticks out?

Never heard of it.

Really?

I must have been sick that day in school. [He walks away towards the annoying ice cream truck playing annoying music.]

Stranger than a relative delivering a frozen fish, I tell ya! :lol:

He doesn't homeschool, does he?

• Like 4

my kids know that!! And that Florida is a gun.

Elmer Fudd stands in the middle of the contiguous 48 states.  Minnesota is his hunter's hat, Iowa is his head (facing east), Missouri is his shirt, Arkansas is his pants, and Louisiana is his boot(s).

• Like 3

I'll admit to a bit of fuzziness when it comes to certain locales east of the Mississippi River, but I had at least HEARD of Cape Cod!

• Like 2

Dunno. But then he just walked way in the middle of conversation, too. He's a strange man.

He really sounds like that one guy years ago at work who remarked on me putting on weight when I was 7 months pregnant.  I wonder if he retired and moved?

• Like 1

Sometimes, when I see a 5 line paragraph, I want to quote it and say TL;DR.

It took me a while to figure that one out.  My brain kept insisting it was another Lord of the Rings movie....

• Like 1