Menu

Ignore this thread!

Here's some basic info and links. The Feingold Bluebook essentially goes through their plan with good details - free pdf. :)

The main gist is eliminating foods with petroleum, and salicylates (found naturally in foods) and a few other artifical things.

- synthetic food dyes, colors, and preservatives

- artificial sweeteners

- BHT, TBHQ, BHA

- salicylates including apples, oranges, grapes, pineapple, asperin, etc. and anything made with them.

Feingold Bluebook

http://www.feingold.org/BLUEBOOK.pdf

Menu plan from blog

http://shrinkingkitchen.com/menu-plan-your-butt-off-feingold-stage-1-friendly/

There are a lot of helpful blogs that talk about what they did, and especially food substitues. Don't know that they discuss it in Feingold, but a good probiotic might also be worth looking into. We already knew ds was allergic to dairy, so he was off milk, but we also took him off any soy products.

Hope this helps with the basic information. It's a bit overwhelming at first (along with everything else!) but take your time. You might find it helpful but might not and that's OK too. :)

Thank you! 

I'm catching up on work today, but I'm going to browse through all this tonight!

• Like 3

OH NO!!! She is going to be MAD. She LOVES apples, grapes, and oranges. 

Maybe start by cutting them back, perhaps one serving a day, then one serving a couple times a week, and so forth?

• Like 2

I'll get more thyme, maybe parsley, into the pallet garden. Our cilantro re-seeded and has it's own little section of the raised bed.

I forgot to mention that I removed an apricot and peach tree seedlings from the compost and potted them in separate pots. I hand water those, too. I know the apricot is going to need a male and female tree to fruit, so I'm on the lookout for another seedling.

I love apricots. I would love to have an apricot tree in our yard. May have to work on that.
  • Like 1

Just remember to breathe. You can't do everything at once and that's fine because it doesn't need to all happen right now.

I started with junk food and replaced with stage 1 approved- chips, pretzels, whatever. That way they knew I wasn't taking all that was good out of their lives, lol. Most of the time it was just a brand change and they didn't even notice. I also had to replace fruits, because we are big fruit eaters. I had to up-play what could be eaten, because most of what was on the list she loved. That won't affect Gymnast much, because she turned out allergic to most of those. Hmmm, I think I need to rethink this and push for the elimination diet for both of them. ..

• Like 2

My half-bath is nicely clean.   :001_smile:

I'm working on the main part of the kitchen floor -- not only does the grout need more goings over, this part of the floor gets re-dirtied the quickest and worst.  I'm ignoring other stuff because I'm getting this stuff done, so there.

I also instructed DD15 to run her own bedding once the washer was free (she had been washing her clothes).  Delegation! :D

I have also decided that the bulk of this week's meals (all meals) will be eating up stuff we have here.  I'm going to try to avoid going to the grocery store as much as I can this week, and instead we can deal with the food clutter.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 3

School is almost done for the day. The boys are using the light-box to trace their drawings onto watercolor paper for painting on Thursday. Then I ought to do the same. But I need to finish writing this chapter first, and then I need to clean the kitchen.

• Like 2

I have removed all the clutter out of the living room! It's now in the space between the living room and kitchen. :D

Gymnast has been properly educated, in between playing and running laps around the yard. She's been abandoned to her own devices outside. Dancer is working on economics on VHG. I'm watching Samurai Gourmet in it's original language. I'll eventually get up and finish cleaning the clutter. I can't find the box of cuisenaire rods.

• Like 4

Be classical.  Teach them regurgitation. 

My fourth grade English teacher insisted on her students using the word "regurgitation".  Even if we were at that very moment sick.  We had to ask to be excused to the restroom to regurgitate.

• Like 2

I can't keep up with ITT.

The only way to do it, really, is to hire a tutor for your kids, a housekeeper, cook and chauffeur. Then you can spend your days ITTing and drinking COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Just keep popping in and do what you can.  We like seeing you here!

And to be honest, ketching up is really overrated. While it's good, and you know what's going on, it's perfectly ok to just kind of slip into the conversation where it's at and that's all you need to do!!
  • Like 3

Warning: Educational Post

Trigger Warning!

Reported!!!

So, we're learning a little capitalism here today. Last week he kids went to my Uncle &Aunt's house and picked blueberries. Second son is out selling his (with permission from Uncle & Aunt). I have an abundance of boysenberries, and he wants to sell those, but since I grow them and pick them, I am charging him $1/basket. I figure, he needs to learn that people just won't give him things to sell. That fosters an entitlement attitude. So, he has to figure out how to get his product and what kinda profit margin he wants to have. He's selling cheap - $3/basket, but that's fine. He ran out of the blueberries he picked, now he wants to sell his sisters' blueberries. I was trying to encourage them to negotiate a deal, but it kind of fell through. It's all been pretty fun, though, and he's making a killing.

• Like 7

That thread about finding other people's stuff....I feel guilty. 

A few years ago DH bought a bedroom suite from a couple who were moving across country- I wasn't there. We had an address but no phone number or name. It took us a while to get it set up in our house and so maybe 3 weeks or more after we bought it I discovered that the wife had forgotten to empty an entire drawer of her clothes. I am hard to fit and the clothes were actually my size and I liked them. And....I'm wearing them.  :blushing:

I feel guilty still...I had no idea how to reach them because we knew they had moved, but I didn't try. I don't feel guilty enough to not wear the stuff.

ITT confessions. 

• Like 7

Joining in is more fun.

Just wait till you study the Solar System. The seventh planet from the sun.

Uranus is a gas giant.

There are rings around Uranus.

How many moons are orbiting Uranus?

Did I even mention I taught junior highers?😜

• Like 6

I remember my first kool-aid stand. My mom fronted me the money and I bought the kool-aid, sugar, and ice. I made enough to pay her back that first weekend. The second weekend, I expanded to selling popsicles (the plastic tube ones), and by the 4th week was selling fresh-popped popcorn and blackberries I had picked from bushes I found. :D I think I was meant to be an entrepreneur.

• Like 4

Lana, do you (or anyone!) have any good tips for how to get your children into a better schedule without turning into NaziMom?

Be a NaziMom with the oldest. Unfortunately, he/she will need therapy some day, but you'll set a great pattern for the rest and then you can loosen up and they'll turn out great. 😂😂

• Like 5

Like 9? She's like a character from Mrs Piggle Wiggle and if you tell her to hurry up she bursts into tears bc everyone is always telling her to hurry up. 

I assume she's doing other things besides eating that are more interesting?

Lana, do you (or anyone!) have any good tips for how to get your children into a better schedule without turning into NaziMom?

Routine, not schedule. Don't listen to me though. My children are feral.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this question, but I'll give it a shot. Like Slache said, routine works best for us. Implement certain transitions and anchor points. And be consistent.

My boys know they get up, have breakfast, and leave me the heck alone until my coffee kick in. When I'm ready, we take a walk and start school as soon as we get back. That helps them transition from free time to school time.

My boys are both slow eaters, so we don't have sit down meals (except dinner). That would take forever. Instead, in the morning I prepare a snack tray for the day and we graze as we go along with our day. It's usually fruits, cheese, sausage or deli meat, hard-boiled eggs, crackers; that kind of thing.

We also have quiet time for an hour in the afternoon, and we all do chores together right after. I'm still working on getting maximum cooperation for quiet and chore time.

This all sounds great on paper, but in reality I feel like I'm living with a bunch of baboons. It's a work in progress.

• Like 5

You would think so. ;). And sometimes she does get lost in a daydream. But I have seen this kid literally pick up a single grain of rice and chew and swallow it before getting another.

It's a very slooooooooooow booyah.

Have you tried giving her less food? Weapon X will pick at food like that if I give him a whole plate, but if I give him smaller portions he eats more and more quickly. I guess a full plate is overwhelming or something.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You would think so. ;). And sometimes she does get lost in a daydream. But I have seen this kid literally pick up a single grain of rice and chew and swallow it before getting another.

It's a very slooooooooooow booyah.

I have a child like this. She would eat yogurt by dipping the very tip of the spoon in, there's be like 1/4 tsp. on the end and eat that. And then dip it again. This did not work well for her when we were at the Grand Canyon a couple years ago and she was having yogurt for breakfast and we were all waiting for her to finish eating so we could leave the hotel and have fun that day. Let's just say she learned how to fill up her spoon that day!!
  • Like 1