Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning. Caffeine.

Good morning.  1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 cup blueberries (that I picked Saturday early morning).

I'm trying to be good, get my fiber fix while being out of Uncle Sam cereal, and see how long I can avoid going to the grocery store.  It would help if I wouldn't try to plan meals or list groceries to get when I am hungry....

Goodie!  Boo-ja!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 6

School today. And writing. Lots and lots of writing. I think I'm supposed to clean the kitchen, too.

I have some writing to do, too. Some parent notes for a class I teach tomorrow. It should be short and simple since it's a one-time class.

ETA:It really bites because I had half of it done the other day, but then the computer crashed and lost everything.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!,Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸

There is one noisy mockingbird in my backyard this morning!!Ă°Å¸Â¦

• Like 3

I can enjoy gardening, but honestly, I like planning in winter more than any other part of the process. I do enjoy plants. I even enjoy taking care of some plants. But summer heat, sun and overwhelming shovel-loads of bugs just get me down when it is most important for me to be out working on things. I believe it may be one of those activities that I will always love in theory, but in practice, it may just never work out for me.

School today. And writing. Lots and lots of writing. I think I'm supposed to clean the kitchen, too.

I need to sweep and scrub/mop the main part of my kitchen floor -- debris from blueberry picking and everyone tracking stuff in the back door this weekend.

We seem to have gotten into some chiggers over the weekend.  DD15 is doing her laundry, after which I'm starting on bedding.  I want to make sure we get rid of any chiggers we brought home.

DD15 is feeling congested and nauseous today and her brain is refusing to work.  We have a short week this week, and I have wanna-break-itis.  We will see how much schooling we actually get done this week -- am inclined to be more housework-focused and less school-focused for the week.  It would be helpful to get more of the clutter cut down and spaces cleared and cleaned (dusted, windows washed, etc.).  

The next birthday weekend is this coming weekend -- DD12 turns 13 -- followed by another birthday weekend (BIL) and then Father's Day weekend.  I'm not sure when we will next get to go out paddling, but I should be able to squeeze in more blueberry picking on at least a couple of those weekends, weather permitting.  

I feel like banishing stuff.  After I ketchup I will go clean more stuff to banish dirt, and find boxes to collect banished clutter.

I unloaded a reusable grocery bag full of math books on SIL this weekend.   :D

• Like 3

Going out to garden. Today, that consists of turning the hose on low in the raised beds, and hand watering the pots with sage, rosemary, and sugar snap peas.

I could water raised beds and pots, especially in a dry climate.  Maybe I don't garden well because it's too wet and humid here.

• Like 2

We did Feingold when my oldest was 5yo and a couple months later he was a different kid. (For the better :D)

I did Feingold with Dancer when she was 7, and there was a difference for her, too. I want to do it with Gymnast, but am getting zero cooperation from dh.

I think it would make a difference for my older son. I would say we eat moderately healthy, i.e. I make sure we have a fruit and vegetable for each meal, I cook almost every meal from scratch, but we eat chips and some other processed foods, we eat out fast food occasionally, we have ice cream for dessert. All my other kids besides oldest DS have an average amount of craving for junk food. But DS... he loves it. And, while I can control what he eats at home, he is in school and I can't control that and he will trade the good food I send him for lunch for carp. So, while I think changing his diet would help him, it would be a hinge battle and one I would never win.

• Like 2

I have enjoyed some beautiful gardens from time to time. But all of those gardens relied on constant watering, constant weeding and constant bug patrol. The best one happened in an unusually cool summer, where clouds and pleasant temperatures made it possible to leave the bat-cave from time to time. I managed cucumbers that year, some very pretty tomatoes and the borage and nasturtiums bloomed all summer. I also had some truly awesome winter squash. 

Sadly, that's not the norm at all.

• Like 3

Regarding gardening, all you so-called non-gardeners.... I challenge you, this very day... go to Home Depot, or Lowes, or your local nursery and buy a clay pot. Just one. Average size. Get some potting soil and 3-4 of the prettiest flowers there. Take it home, and plant it. And then take care of it. Water it. Dead-head. Just that one pot.

Oh, and you must read this book. https://www.amazon.com/Curious-Garden-Peter-Brown/dp/0316015474/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TMXQX50E62Y83J2RJ56E "The Curious Garden" is one of my and my kids' favorite picture books!!!

That's how it started with me. I hated gardening. But then, I had an apartment with a small balcony. And I got one pot. And then.... I thought it needed a friend. And then.... I loved gardening.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

Is it morning? Do I have to do stuff now?

No!! You can sit here like me and listen to the Mockingbirds and ITT and drink COFFEE!!Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸ Don't listen to those other people. They just don't want you to be happy, all this talk of "doing stuff!!""Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“ Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

My rosemary already got burnt to a crisp. I went out of town for a week, and someone else was in charge of watering.

FWIW, on elimination diets, Feingold has a focus on food dyes, preservatives, and salicytes.  I'm not convinced that salicytes are a problem for most people.  In that regard, I think the paleo autoimmune may be a better way to start because it focuses on gut healing as you go along.  I've been able to add more foods back because I've focused on overall gut health.  Some of my triggers came because my overall allergic load had been too high.

Favorite instant pot meals:

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-chicken-gyros/--I think her technique is a bit off on this.  I sautĂƒÂ©e my onions and garlic and spices in a bit of olive oil (using the sautĂƒÂ©e feature) until they are carmelized, then I add the chicken, water, and I substituted balsamic vinegar because it's what I store....and cook as directed.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-macaroni-and-cheese/. I think you have both gluten and dairy issues, but for my teen, this has been a lifesaver. He just uses the water salt and noodles from this recipe, and their technique. When the noodles are done cooking in 4 minutes, he stirs the noodles briefly, adds two cups of mexican blend cheese and 1/4 cup of parmesan, stirs, adds some black pepper, stirs, and eats.

Tex's beef stroganoff recipe from a cookbook. I've altered enough it's my own. On the sautĂƒÂ©e feature, melt 2 T butter, add 1.5 lbs sirloin steak, cubed and one finely diced large onion.  Cook until the steak is brown, about 5 min. Add 8 oz of sliced baby portobello mushrooms, 1/2-1 c. beef stock, 1 T. lemon juice, 1/2 t. garlic powder, 1/2 t. pepper. Cook for 15 minutes on high. Let pressure release naturally 5 min.  I do not stir in 8 oz of sour cream, but I do add 2 T. parsley.

My 4 yo is being fussy--will try to chime in more later...

• Like 4

Regarding gardening, all you so-called non-gardeners.... I challenge you, this very day... go to Home Depot, or Lowes, or your local nursery and buy a clay pot. Just one. Average size. Get some potting soil and 3-4 of the prettiest flowers there. Take it home, and plant it. And then take care of it. Water it. Dead-head. Just that one pot.

Oh, and you must read this book. https://www.amazon.com/Curious-Garden-Peter-Brown/dp/0316015474/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TMXQX50E62Y83J2RJ56E

That's how it started with me. I hated gardening. But then, I had an apartment with a small balcony. And I got one pot. And then.... I thought it needed a friend. And then.... I loved gardening.

We have a large pot that has pink lilies.  They are blooming beautifully at the moment.

We also have two pots of tomatoes and two pots of zucchini.  The tomatoes we have done for several years now.  We used to do peppers, but I can't eat them anymore.

Dh and the girls plant and weed.  The girls are responsible for watering the pots every morning and evening.

• Like 3

Going out to garden. Today, that consists of turning the hose on low in the raised beds, and hand watering the pots with sage, rosemary, and sugar snap peas.

You need to put some parsley and thyme in there, too and maybe Paul Simon would show up.Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“Ă°Å¸Å’Â¿Ă°Å¸Å½Â¶Ă°Å¸Å½Â¸ Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Oh, and you must read this book. https://www.amazon.com/Curious-Garden-Peter-Brown/dp/0316015474/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TMXQX50E62Y83J2RJ56E "The Curious Garden" is one of my and my kids' favorite picture books!!!

Back in Colorado I took care of potted plants okay, and could care for basic yard stuff (cutting grass, checking on other plants to see if they needed water, grow a few vegetables).

Here in hot, humid, mosquito-ridden SE TX we have a sizable yard with plenty of plants, but I never managed to get out regularly to tend my bit of vegetable garden when I had one (even when DH built me a raised bed), and I don't remember to go check on any plants not in immediate sight from the back door (the best growing spots are around corners of the shed or garage and not in immediate sight).  I don't even remember to weed the front beds because we come and go through the kitchen door.

Part of the issue is busyness, lack of schedule including such tasks on a routine basis, and part is the weather driving me inside most of the summer.  When MIL & FIL go on trips we head out to take care of things at their place, and then I will check on the vegetable garden, the fruit trees, the various flowers, the houseplants EVERYWHERE, and I can set sprinklers to water stuff.  We also tend horses and dogs, and walk the fence to check for holes or gates left open on the utility easement.

Inside the house we have only one place in which we keep houseplants, and it is already overcrowded.  Houseplants also tend to get little bugs in them, too, which can become a big problem really quickly here.  I have tried numerous times over the years to develop more of a green thumb, but I have decided that I am better off periodically assisting others with their gardening projects than trying to run my own.

I would love to have a garden, with a gardener.  I like having gardens around and I like to get to pick stuff to eat and play with, but I do not have the summertime fortitude to actually manage such a project down here, and too many other overdue projects to take the time and effort to try to become a good gardener myself.

Hmm, but that is a thought:  design into my floorplans places in which to put houseplants, and in the yard areas for gardening.  If I can ever afford to build my imagined house I will be able to afford to hire a gardener to help and teach me.

• Like 3

I think it would make a difference for my older son. I would say we eat moderately healthy, i.e. I make sure we have a fruit and vegetable for each meal, I cook almost every meal from scratch, but we eat chips and some other processed foods, we eat out fast food occasionally, we have ice cream for dessert. All my other kids besides oldest DS have an average amount of craving for junk food. But DS... he loves it. And, while I can control what he eats at home, he is in school and I can't control that and he will trade the good food I send him for lunch for carp. So, while I think changing his diet would help him, it would be a hinge battle and one I would never win.

There are plenty of junk food options on the list! But, yeah, the school thing would shoot it all to heck. I remember once I got Gymnast off of the school food (and off almond milk), her hair stopped falling out.

• Like 1

You need to put some parsley and thyme in there, too and maybe Paul Simon would show up.Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“Ă°Å¸Å’Â¿Ă°Å¸Å½Â¶Ă°Å¸Å½Â¸

A perennial favorite bad joke of DH's:  Did Parsley save Rosemary in time?  (My BFF had a cat named Parsley.)

• Like 2

No!! You can sit here like me and listen to the Mockingbirds and ITT and drink COFFEE!!Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸Ă¢Ëœâ€¢Ă¯Â¸ Don't listen to those other people. They just don't want you to be happy, all this talk of "doing stuff!!""Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“

Bestie! :001_wub:

(Actually, I have done stuff.  On Tuesdays, Nonna across the street works in an outlying area so I have her granddaughter from 6 to 10:30.  And ponies.  One of whom started bellowing for his hot cereal at 5:30.  Our days are getting verrrrrrrrrry loooooooong and the silly animal apparently can't tell time. :blink: )

• Like 4

Bestie! :001_wub:

(Actually, I have done stuff.  On Tuesdays, Nonna across the street works in an outlying area so I have her granddaughter from 6 to 10:30.  And ponies.  One of whom started bellowing for his hot cereal at 5:30.  Our days are getting verrrrrrrrrry loooooooong and the silly animal apparently can't tell time. :blink: )

Homeschool fail.

• Like 5

I could water raised beds and pots, especially in a dry climate.  Maybe I don't garden well because it's too wet and humid here.

My mom is an avid gardener. She also has fruit and nut trees. I think that's a reason they were thinking I'd want to move there, since we have common interests.

• Like 3

I have enjoyed some beautiful gardens from time to time. But all of those gardens relied on constant watering, constant weeding and constant bug patrol. The best one happened in an unusually cool summer, where clouds and pleasant temperatures made it possible to leave the bat-cave from time to time. I managed cucumbers that year, some very pretty tomatoes and the borage and nasturtiums bloomed all summer. I also had some truly awesome winter squash. 

Sadly, that's not the norm at all.

None of our gardens have been beautiful. It is tucked away in the corner next to the coyote fence. We constantly fight the vine that grows over the fence and tries to spread under the garden. The rest of the yard is full of ... stuff...kid and grown-up stuff. I just try to keep my garden area(s) looking nice. I take care of the pots on the porch. I had dh move some stumps by the posts and put a large pot on each. There is an area next to the house where I would like to put flowers, maybe a ground cover. A small pot in that small area is next to the door and contains a flowering cactus.

So, nothing beautiful, but I try with what I have.

• Like 3

Here are a few more IP recipes, Mary: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/239605642655633471/

There are just a few technique things that people tend to get wrong in converting recipes. Here's what I tend to do differently:

1. You should caramelize your onions, garlic, and spices in butter or olive oil. 

2. You should brown your meat on both sides for color and texture unless you are just doing a dump and go recipe or making soup. (We regularly just dump 4 chicken breasts in + jar of sauce---bbq, korma, marinara, whatever.)

3. Everything should have a like cooking time. If you are cooking brown rice, then add in uncooked black beans and other things with similar cooking time rather than canned beans.

• Like 1

My rosemary already got burnt to a crisp. I went out of town for a week, and someone else was in charge of watering.

FWIW, on elimination diets, Feingold has a focus on food dyes, preservatives, and salicytes.  I'm not convinced that salicytes are a problem for most people.  In that regard, I think the paleo autoimmune may be a better way to start because it focuses on gut healing as you go along.  I've been able to add more foods back because I've focused on overall gut health.  Some of my triggers came because my overall allergic load had been too high.

Salicylates are a thing with Dancer, though. I found out when she was very young (reaction to a medication), but didn't make the connection until I got Feingold. High-salicylate foods caused a level of hyperactivity and sensory-sensitivity in her, but I didn't see how much until I eliminated them. I remember seeing a lot of behaviors that made me suspect Asperger's when she was little. Putting her on the diet helped me help her regulate better so we could deal with the other issues. 

I know you and Ellie have talked to me about the paleo autoimmune thing for Dancer before. It just hasn't happened here, yet. She couldn't get past the red meat part. She does not eat red meat.

• Like 1

Dead-head?  :leaving:

• Like 2

Jean, I am so sorry about Rocky.

I want a proclick. But I'm not getting one....yet. There are other things that I want more for the schoolroom. Like better seats and another table. And a better way to store games/puzzles/manipulatives. And a rug. And book bins. And more bookshelves.

I spent the entire long weekend on a manic cleaning/decluttering/rearranging spree. My house looks a-freaking-mazing. And it smells good too. I still need to do one closet and the laundry room, but I am pleased with the progress I made. I need to drop off all the donation stuff and buy groceries today.

My goal for our month-long summer break is to get some routines into place before we jump back into school. I hope to make having a relatively clean home a habit. I also want to start exercising consistently. I also want a pot of gold and magical powers.

• Like 8

You need to put some parsley and thyme in there, too and maybe Paul Simon would show up.Ă°Å¸ËœÅ“Ă°Å¸Å’Â¿Ă°Å¸Å½Â¶Ă°Å¸Å½Â¸

I'll get more thyme, maybe parsley, into the pallet garden. Our cilantro re-seeded and has it's own little section of the raised bed.

I forgot to mention that I removed an apricot and peach tree seedlings from the compost and potted them in separate pots. I hand water those, too. I know the apricot is going to need a male and female tree to fruit, so I'm on the lookout for another seedling. 

• Like 4

My 4 yo is being fussy--will try to chime in more later...

My rosemary died. Except, it put up a bunch of new little plants around it, so I'm not too sad. I don't know what happened though. I think I froze the roots  over the winter.  :leaving:

• Like 1

Central.

Huzzah!  All of us Texas ITTers can come help you get moved in!  Then we can party and start exploring all of the sights with you.   :D

#yayRenaiwillbewithinaday'sdriveofme!

• Like 2

Salicylates are a thing with Dancer, though. I found out when she was very young (reaction to a medication), but didn't make the connection until I got Feingold. High-salicylate foods caused a level of hyperactivity and sensory-sensitivity in her, but I didn't see how much until I eliminated them. I remember seeing a lot of behaviors that made me suspect Asperger's when she was little. Putting her on the diet helped me help her regulate better so we could deal with the other issues.

I know you and Ellie have talked to me about the paleo autoimmune thing for Dancer before. It just hasn't happened here, yet. She couldn't get past the red meat part. She does not eat red meat.

We have a friend whose son would go berzerk every week after Sunday school - they found that when he drank water instead of (organic) apple juice, he was just fine. I have always hated apple juice - it makes my head feel funny, and I wonder if it's a concentrated salicylate thing. My son did much better off those foods.

• Like 2

Jean, I am so sorry about Rocky.

I want a proclick. But I'm not getting one....yet. There are other things that I want more for the schoolroom. Like better seats and another table. And a better way to store games/puzzles/manipulatives. And a rug. And book bins. And more bookshelves.

I spent the entire long weekend on a manic cleaning/decluttering/rearranging spree. My house looks a-freaking-mazing. And it smells good too. I still need to do one closet and the laundry room, but I am pleased with the progress I made. I need to drop off all the donation stuff and buy groceries today.

My goal for our month-long summer break is to get some routines into place before we jump back into school. I hope to make having a relatively clean home a habit. I also want to start exercising consistently. I also want a pot of gold and magical powers.

Good for you!   :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

Huzzah!  All of us Texas ITTers can come help you get moved in!  Then we can party and start exploring all of the sights with you.   :D

#yayRenaiwillbewithinaday'sdriveofme!

Remember, I lived in that area for about 12 years before moving here. I'm familiar with the sites. Although, the area has grown quite a bit. My parents bought property in the country though, so it's not city living, thankfully, but close to stuff. I'll be within 35(?) minutes of Angie though. :D

• Like 3

I decided I not only wanted but needed one room/space in this house that felt CLEAN, at least for a while.  I have just done the bulk of deep-cleaning the half-bath, and am now bleaching/soaking/going to scrub the floor tile and grout.

In Flylady terms my half-bath is my shiny sink for the whole house -- the space I go clean thoroughly first when I'm trying to build and keep some momentum in cleaning elsewhere in the house.  It's small, rather confined, and gets dirtied up a little more slowly than the rest of the house, so by starting there every time I sit down there I get the happy reinforcement of an accomplishment that stayed accomplished for more than a day.

• Like 2

Remember, I lived in that area for about 12 years before moving here. I'm familiar with the sites. Although, the area has grown quite a bit. My parents bought property in the country though, so it's not city living, thankfully, but close to stuff. I'll be within 35(?) minutes of Angie though. :D

Gymnast isn't familiar with the sites, and you can visit the sites again.  And we can visit you!

• Like 1

Yeah, once the basics are down, you pretty much know what to look for. The book just makes it easier because the work has been done for you- they have the brand names and which products from different categories listed for both levels of the program. I haven't had a new book in 9 years. (I thought it was the physical book?) The money pays for a membership, not just the book, so each week there are emails with resource and any changes to the list. But, I do it on my own.

Oh, maybe that's what I was looking at. I don't know. I'll get on Amazon and see what they have. :) I was looking on my phone, so I very likely got confused. 

Going back and looking - I can't even find that link on my computer. Lord only knows what I was looking at!! lol 

Edited by Southern Ivy

We have a friend whose son would go berzerk every week after Sunday school - they found that when he drank water instead of (organic) apple juice, he was just fine. I have always hated apple juice - it makes my head feel funny, and I wonder if it's a concentrated salicylate thing. My son did much better off those foods.

It was grape juice that would really set off Dancer. I remember we had her on the elimination diet for about 4 weeks and things had settled down. I was working at a preschool/kindergarten at the time, and she came with me (she was in 1st). Once, someone brought a snack, and I didn't check the juice before she drank it. We went out to recess, and within 20 minutes, she was sitting down balled up, hands in fists, eyes closed, shaking and yelling, "get away from me! Leave me alone!" over and over. It was freaky. I went back and checked the snack and it had included grape juice (white, so I hadn't thought to check before). We haven't had grape juice since. She has been able to handle grapes within the last couple of years though.

• Like 1

Oh, maybe that's what I was looking at. I don't know. I'll get on Amazon and see what they have. :) I was looking on my phone, so I very likely got confused. 

Going back and looking - I can't even find that link on my computer. Lord only knows what I was looking at!! lol 

I had purchased through the Feingold site. I don't know what is available on Amazon. http://feingold.org/

It was grape juice that would really set off Dancer. I remember we had her on the elimination diet for about 4 weeks and things had settled down. I was working at a preschool/kindergarten at the time, and she came with me (she was in 1st). Once, someone brought a snack, and I didn't check the juice before she drank it. We went out to recess, and within 20 minutes, she was sitting down balled up, hands in fists, eyes closed, shaking and yelling, "get away from me! Leave me alone!" over and over. It was freaky. I went back and checked the snack and it had included grape juice (white, so I hadn't thought to check before). We haven't had grape juice since. She has been able to handle grapes within the last couple of years though.

Fruit juices are a lot more concentrated than the whole fruits, so ofttimes people can handle the fruit when they can't handle drinking the juice.  It's not just things like salycilates; it's sugar, too.  I really shouldn't drink straight fruit juice anymore because the sugar is just too concentrated.

• Like 1

I liked this, although I didn't understand it...

Grateful Dead reference.  Grateful Dead fans = "dead heads", and lots of the GD graphics included dancing bears (the "happy happy dancing bears").

Grateful Dead weren't really my scene (the music was nice enough, but I didn't get into the culture), though I knew some people who were very much Deadheads.  They had some real musical genius in their music, according to music majors I knew in college.  People have even been symphonizing their songs:

Hooray for symphonies Booya(h)!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

:hurray: :hurray: MY HERO! :hurray: :hurray:

Thank you :D

Here's some basic info and links. The Feingold Bluebook essentially goes through their plan with good details - free pdf. :)

The main gist is eliminating foods with petroleum, and salicylates (found naturally in foods) and a few other artifical things.

- synthetic food dyes, colors, and preservatives

- artificial sweeteners

- BHT, TBHQ, BHA

- salicylates including apples, oranges, grapes, pineapple, asperin, etc. and anything made with them.

Feingold Bluebook

http://www.feingold.org/BLUEBOOK.pdf

Menu plan from blog

http://shrinkingkitchen.com/menu-plan-your-butt-off-feingold-stage-1-friendly/

There are a lot of helpful blogs that talk about what they did, and especially food substitues. Don't know that they discuss it in Feingold, but a good probiotic might also be worth looking into. We already knew ds was allergic to dairy, so he was off milk, but we also took him off any soy products.

Hope this helps with the basic information. It's a bit overwhelming at first (along with everything else!) but take your time. You might find it helpful but might not and that's OK too. :)

• Like 3