Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have not seen my cousins in 19 years. I will probably never see any of them again. I tried to have a reunion about 8 years ago but I learned then not to try.  I am glad my husband has a big family so my kids will have a big family.

• Like 5

😘ðŸ˜

Weird BOOYAH.

So.. I got to see my cousin today. It's been like15 years. Yah!!!

I have not seen my cousins in 19 years. I will probably never see any of them again. I tried to have a reunion about 8 years ago but I learned then not to try.  I am glad my husband has a big family so my kids will have a big family.

I have a ton of cousins I've never met. I have some I see every other year at family reunions and are extremely nice people, but I still never know what to talk about with them.
  • Like 3

I have not seen my cousins in 19 years. I will probably never see any of them again. I tried to have a reunion about 8 years ago but I learned then not to try. I am glad my husband has a big family so my kids will have a big family.

:(
  • Like 2

Monday summary:

I don't know what a proclick is.  I don't have a laminator.

I have three cousins on one side of the family.  I have seen two of them in the last year.

I have five cousins on the other side.  I don't think I've seen any of them in the last decade.  

Dh and I went to Cape Cod for our honeymoon.

I like seafood.

I don't like yardwork.

• Like 8

I'm in touch with several cousins via facebook. I don't remember how many I have because there's a lot. My mom has 8 brothers and sisters, 6 had kids, my dad has 3 siblings, all with kids. I haven't seen any of them face-to-face in over 20 years.

• Like 2

Yard work can wait until tomorrow. :leaving:

Nope. Did more than my usual yard work penance. Do you know what is funny? I have long had this desire to be a gardener. But I have to force myself to garden. Mainly because it is hard for me. But I have had three doctors actually recommend gardening as a way to improve my functional fitness.

• Like 10

Cape Cod

Wait. That's where Yankees live, right?  I haven't been there. :D

At a family reunion in North Carolina almost six years ago, I met cousins who were born and raised in Vermont. I had never met cousins who didn't have a Southern accent, lol.

• Like 10

So, I've decided that I'm going to get a second opinion on the diagnosis. The psych was showing a lot of frustration in trying to get Riv to finish the test and Riv doesn't respond well with that. She was also more hyper than I've ever seen her, so I know the IQ portion was skewed.

Another psych emailed me back on Thursday, and I initially said "no thank you", but I emailed back and requested an appointment for a 2nd opinion. (I have no doubt about the ADHD and the processing disorder, but I'm hoping this guy can actually pinpoint the issue.)

Mary, this caught my attention because of your statement that Riverlyn was more hyper than you'd ever seen after she had eaten a coconut slushee at Sonic. I know you don't know me, so it's awkward for me to jump in here, but I wanted to suggest that you consider performing a very strict elimination diet for your family. Years ago we followed one put out by the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital's Allergy Department (Sydney, Australia), and it has changed our lives. A woman named Sue Dengate has done an incredible amount of work in Australia to make people aware of sensitivities to both additives and natural chemicals in food. She has a website www.fedup.com.au and several books including one called Fed Up (sorry for the lack of italics) that help explain her family's experience with food sensitivities.

My seven-year-old son is a very bright student but we have to control his diet very strictly. (His allergist even told me that homeschooling was the best thing I could do for him). He's allergic to most fruits, vegetables, and nuts as well as cow dairy. Thankfully his reactions are not anaphylactic, but it was life-changing for him and our family to discover these allergies. His problems are extreme, and he has no diagnosis other than allergies, but he was headed toward either an ASD or PDD/NOS diagnosis when he was three before we figured this out. He still has some features that are not neurotypical, but his doctors (primary, allergist, psychologist) all say that it is very suggestive of environmental or food triggers that his symptoms can disappear completely or be triggered by an exposure.

I think what jumped out at me about Riv's situation is that you mentioned noticing her having reactions to certain foods. Switching to something healthy without whites and sugars sounds great if it's only artificial colors that are a problem. In my son's case, it was cow's milk, cheese (including annatto coloring), and fruits and vegetables.

I can go on and on, but really I've said enough. I'm sure you're completely overwhelmed as it is, and I hate to pile stuff on. I just thought that if you were going to go to all that effort to switch your diet, I'd go ahead and recommend the RPAH protocol (it's a much more rigorous version of Ben Feingold's original work if that means anything to you) since it's developed by actual allergists in order to pinpoint food sensitivities that can cause a host of symptoms including hyperactivity and difficulty with processing. They suggest doing three weeks of elimination and then adding things back in one category at a time to see what reaction there is. Boy, was it obvious in our case.

I do wish you and Riv well as you continue to explore how to help her best. I think a second opinion is a great idea.

• Like 9

Renai, my mom's family is big like your mom's. One of her brothers had 7 kids. I was one of the youngest cousins, and many of my cousins have kids who are older than me. There is a family reunion every 3 years that we try to get to, so there are a handful of cousins that I see every few years, but not too many.

• Like 3

We did Feingold when my oldest was 5yo and a couple months later he was a different kid. (For the better :D)

I did Feingold with Dancer when she was 7, and there was a difference for her, too. I want to do it with Gymnast, but am getting zero cooperation from dh.

• Like 1

Mary, this caught my attention because of your statement that Riverlyn was more hyper than you'd ever seen after she had eaten a coconut slushee at Sonic. I know you don't know me, so it's awkward for me to jump in here, but I wanted to suggest that you consider performing a very strict elimination diet for your family. Years ago we followed one put out by the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital's Allergy Department (Sydney, Australia), and it has changed our lives. A woman named Sue Dengate has done an incredible amount of work in Australia to make people aware of sensitivities to both additives and natural chemicals in food. She has a website www.fedup.com.au and several books including one called Fed Up (sorry for the lack of italics) that help explain her family's experience with food sensitivities.

My seven-year-old son is a very bright student but we have to control his diet very strictly. (His allergist even told me that homeschooling was the best thing I could do for him). He's allergic to most fruits, vegetables, and nuts as well as cow dairy. Thankfully his reactions are not anaphylactic, but it was life-changing for him and our family to discover these allergies. His problems are extreme, and he has no diagnosis other than allergies, but he was headed toward either an ASD or PDD/NOS diagnosis when he was three before we figured this out. He still has some features that are not neurotypical, but his doctors (primary, allergist, psychologist) all say that it is very suggestive of environmental or food triggers that his symptoms can disappear completely or be triggered by an exposure.

I think what jumped out at me about Riv's situation is that you mentioned noticing her having reactions to certain foods. Switching to something healthy without whites and sugars sounds great if it's only artificial colors that are a problem. In my son's case, it was cow's milk, cheese (including annatto coloring), and fruits and vegetables.

I can go on and on, but really I've said enough. I'm sure you're completely overwhelmed as it is, and I hate to pile stuff on. I just thought that if you were going to go to all that effort to switch your diet, I'd go ahead and recommend the RPAH protocol (it's a much more rigorous version of Ben Feingold's original work if that means anything to you) since it's developed by actual allergists in order to pinpoint food sensitivities that can cause a host of symptoms including hyperactivity and difficulty with processing. They suggest doing three weeks of elimination and then adding things back in one category at a time to see what reaction there is. Boy, was it obvious in our case.

I do wish you and Riv well as you continue to explore how to help her best. I think a second opinion is a great idea.

No worries, my friend. We're all family in ITT. :) 

My nephew is SPD and dyes, preservatives, and well, anything artificial really does a number on him. So, my sister and I had actually already discussed the need for abstaining from those things. I'm considering taking her to a naturopathic doctor who is friends with my sister. She was able to help test my nephew so they knew exactly what to avoid. But, it's $40/test AND 2 hours away (and it will take a few tests as she only tests a few things at a time due to the reactions). 

I have been on the Trim Healthy Mama diet for awhile (so, no sugars, simple carbs, "whites"), but with Riverlyn being in preschool, it's been hard to regulate her food intake. We're bringing her home in 2 weeks, so she will be on a new eating plan of some form. Definitely more whole foods. 

I'll look up the website a bit later today. I'm interested in their story and plan. 

ETA: I just saw that this is a more strict version of Feingold. I just learned about Feingold, so I'm really interested now. 

We did Feingold when my oldest was 5yo and a couple months later he was a different kid. (For the better :D)

I did Feingold with Dancer when she was 7, and there was a difference for her, too. I want to do it with Gymnast, but am getting zero cooperation from dh.

I just read about this on a Facebook post and was very interested, but I don't have the $$ to buy a $70 pdf right now. :( Is there somewhere else where I can get the basic gist of the plan or is it all in the book? 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

Monday summary:

I don't know what a proclick is.  I don't have a laminator.

I have three cousins on one side of the family.  I have seen two of them in the last year.

I have five cousins on the other side.  I don't think I've seen any of them in the last decade.  

Dh and I went to Cape Cod for our honeymoon.

I like seafood.

I don't like yardwork.

What a great summary!  I'm copying....

I don't have a proclick or a laminator.  I always thought the prolick stuff looked like it wouldn't stay together.  Jean wins because she has a real binder thingy. 

I have 30-some first cousins on one side (and I haven't counted up seconds in a long time).  I used to see a lot of them when I was younger.  Now I see a handful regularly.  I have zero first cousins on the other side, but several second cousins and second cousins once removed.  I see them rarely, but I'm always glad to.

I've never been to Cape Cod.

I like seafood occasionally, but not often.

I do not know what this yardwork is that you speak of.  We have bushes - sometimes my dh trims them.  We have grass - ds mows it.  This "garden commune" thing some of you do sounds like one of Dante's circles of hell to me, lol. 

(ETA for an accidental apostrophe.  Don't tell Ellie.  :svengo: )

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 6

What a great summary!  I'm copying....

I don't have a proclick or a laminator.  I always thought the prolick stuff looked like it wouldn't stay together.  Jean wins because she has a real binder thingy. 

I have 30-some first cousins on one side (and I haven't counted up seconds in a long time).  I used to see a lot of them when I was younger.  Now I see a handful regularly.  I have zero first cousins on the other side, but several second cousins and second cousins once removed.  I see them rarely, but I'm always glad to.

I've never been to Cape Cod.

I like seafood occasionally, but not often.

I do not know what this yardwork is that you speak of.  We have bushes - sometimes my dh trims them.  We have grass - ds mows it.  This "garden commune" thing some of you do sounds like one of Dante's circle's of hell to me, lol. 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

YAASSSSS! 

• Like 1

Prairie, I read this on another thread. Can to share what recipes you are going to use? 
I got an instant pot for Christmas. I have only used it for eggs and rice. That's a ridiculous price for eggs and rice to cook. :/ I need to explore actually cooking with it. 

5. Train the kids to make all of our meals.  I just re-did our meal plan for a 7 day week. It's instant pot heavy. Our kids are going to be able to make every meal, because I'm just DONE with functional cooking, and our kids need to be more capable in the kitchen, especially as one of my birdies gets ready to launch in a couple of years.  I am compiling a master grocery list, and I'm going to start ordering online for curbside pickup.  I'm also DONE with spending 3 hours of my week every freaking week in the grocery store.  I will still need to do a 1hr costco run, but my trip to the regular grocery store will end.

• Like 2

No worries, my friend. We're all family in ITT. :)

My nephew is SPD and dyes, preservatives, and well, anything artificial really does a number on him. So, my sister and I had actually already discussed the need for abstaining from those things. I'm considering taking her to a naturopathic doctor who is friends with my sister. She was able to help test my nephew so they knew exactly what to avoid. But, it's $40/test AND 2 hours away (and it will take a few tests as she only tests a few things at a time due to the reactions).

I have been on the Trim Healthy Mama diet for awhile (so, no sugars, simple carbs, "whites"), but with Riverlyn being in preschool, it's been hard to regulate her food intake. We're bringing her home in 2 weeks, so she will be on a new eating plan of some form. Definitely more whole foods.

I'll look up the website a bit later today. I'm interested in their story and plan.

ETA: I just saw that this is a more strict version of Feingold. I just learned about Feingold, so I'm really interested now.

I just read about this on a Facebook post and was very interested, but I don't have the $$ to buy a $70 pdf right now. :( Is there somewhere else where I can get the basic gist of the plan or is it all in the book?

Let me get some info / websites together. My paperwork is pretty old, and I might not even have it any more but I think we can get you the basics. It's not too complicated.

• Like 3

Jean--does your local store offer lots of liquor samples in store? There's a drinking culture here in TX that I find disturbing and unhealthy.

You walk into Target, and you're in the wine/liquor section (instead of the dollar deals).

You walk into Trader Joe's, and the liquor is 1/3 of the floor space.

You walk into the local grocery store, and you pass by 4 liquor samples (wine, local ale, hard alcohol, etc.). The liquor section is 2x the size of the health food section.

Within a few blocks of me are several liquor stores, including one that specializes in frozen drinks. 

I've lived places where custom brewing was big, in university towns where keggers happened on weekends, in European cities where drinking was a part of daily life....but this is just an entirely different dynamic. It's regular drinking to excess as a culture....and it's not paired with the strict driving laws of say, Denmark, where drinking to excess is also not uncommon.  I see a weaving, likely intoxicated driver during most of my trips out and about.  It's scary.

At the grocery store I frequent most the beer and wine are right next to the fancy cheeses and deli items section.  This area is a MAJOR intersection in the store, usually cluttered up with not only cheese samples stands but beer and wine samples.  Some of the people trying to sell their alcohol get downright pushy if someone obviously well above minimum drinking age declines a sample.  I gave one particularly insistent one a right good earful once.  I also told management that if I saw there again such behavior from ANY sample pusher I would take my business elsewhere.

Eewww! I'm glad our stores aren't like that! Of course, we don't have Trader Joe's.

Do they really give out samples? Like, you drink it then drive home??

Small little sips in medicine cups, basically enough for a mouthful.  And they don't have anywhere for the shoppers to spit it out, like I hear people do at fancy wine tasting parties.

Nope. Did more than my usual yard work penance. Do you know what is funny? I have long had this desire to be a gardener. But I have to force myself to garden. Mainly because it is hard for me. But I have had three doctors actually recommend gardening as a way to improve my functional fitness.

I like harvesting.  I can go out and pick food with the best of them.  Remembering to take care of the plants, however, is another story.

• Like 2

Mary, this caught my attention because of your statement that Riverlyn was more hyper than you'd ever seen after she had eaten a coconut slushee at Sonic. I know you don't know me, so it's awkward for me to jump in here, but I wanted to suggest that you consider performing a very strict elimination diet for your family. 

<snip>

Hi, DuaeGuttae!  Welcome here!

I can enjoy gardening, but honestly, I like planning in winter more than any other part of the process. I do enjoy plants. I even enjoy taking care of some plants. But summer heat, sun and overwhelming shovel-loads of bugs just get me down when it is most important for me to be out working on things. I believe it may be one of those activities that I will always love in theory, but in practice, it may just never work out for me.

School today. And writing. Lots and lots of writing. I think I'm supposed to clean the kitchen, too.

• Like 3

Let me get some info / websites together. My paperwork is pretty old, and I might not even have it any more but I think we can get you the basics. It's not too complicated.

Yeah, once the basics are down, you pretty much know what to look for. The book just makes it easier because the work has been done for you- they have the brand names and which products from different categories listed for both levels of the program. I haven't had a new book in 9 years. (I thought it was the physical book?) The money pays for a membership, not just the book, so each week there are emails with resource and any changes to the list. But, I do it on my own.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 1