Menu

Ignore this thread!

Also also: I pilates-ed today at 5:22am before the barnacles were in danger of awaking.  Do people do that anymore?  Or is barre the more cool thing now?  Whateves.  I broke out my dvd from 2001 and did it.  Go me.*

*Motivational GoMe.  Not Braggadocios GoMe.  

:hurray: Quackers! :hurray:

• Like 1

Dd5 just marched into the sunroom with a dramatic scowl to submit a complaint against dd6, dd8, and ds2.

She then marched out saying, "I'm going back to sleep.  Today. Is. Cancelled."

May I offer you coffee, dear?

I like her.  A lot.

• Like 4

I think I'm going to add breakfast to my daily to-do list so I can cross something off immediately.

Sometimes I add something I've just done to my list so I can cross it off. Like, hey, I did laundry and I want credit for that.

Yes to both of these.  :)

• Like 2

You really don't want to know what Fart-touch is. Actually, I don't want to know what it is, either. But I have no choice, I live with these people. It's all around me.

Littlest DD is sitting there, pushing and pushing and then announced, "that's it! My butt's empty!"

Is it any wonder I drink so much COFFEE???☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Well, there's your problem, darlin'.  You need wine. :blink:

I was really tired earlier, but had to stay up because the sheets were in the dryer. Now I'm tired, but my body is all out of sorts, and I feel like a decomposing fart.

laughing-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 4

I feel very bad because dh was on his way to work and I begged him to come back and take ds12 to the doctor just to make sure what he has is the flu and not an atypical case of strep. (I was still at church waiting for dd10 to be dropped off from an overnight.) He turned around right away and wasn't upset, but I know he was really hoping to get a few hours of work done. He said he'll go tonight after dd18's recital. In the mean time, I have to take the other girls to their dress rehearsal and then straight to the voice recital. Unless his director makes a change in policy, ds12 will not be allowed to play in the concert Tuesday because of missing the dress rehearsal today. Oh well. I am hoping he is OK for his cello recital on Thursday and choir tour, which leaves on Friday.

A FAFSA on sickness!

And a FAFSA Audit on stupid eye doctors. I'm still mad about that.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   FAFSA.

• Like 1

I probably slept ten hours last night. Why is it that I feel strongly in need of a nap? 

You are still recovering.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Warning: FAFSA Audit Update

Believe it or not, our audit is still not over. Now they are requesting a signed copy of our 2015 tax return and W-2. Aparently, the university wants to use them to verify the amount of financial aid ds received. Which is asinine since they have it on record right there in the financial aid office. I mean, literally right there. Like, on your desktop computer which is 22 inches from your face. :banghead:

A FAFSA on FAFSA audits!  And universities asking for what they already have!

• Like 1

FAFSA!

DH's car is dead, done, kaput. He can't drive half a block without it overheating. He can't fix it. We can't afford to replace it. Maybe we can next month when his bonus comes in, but definitely not right now. And now that money can't go toward all the other things that need to be done. I swear, everytime we start to get ahead, something like this happens. It's always one step forward, two steps back. I want to just crawl back into bed and give up on life.

😭😱😠😵😖😭ðŸ™

ETA: This also means that all sanity-saving out-of-the-house activities will be cancelled for the foreseeable future.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I did 6 miles in an hour on the elliptical today. I haven't done a 10-min mile since high school. I'm not even sure I ever did it then. Go me.

(Please understand that all of my "go me" posts are not meant as brags, but are rather me trying to self-motivate. In case it was not obvious. 😬)

Go, Ikslo!   :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

Ds12 has the flu and is dehydrated. They gave him some anti-nausea medicine and said he has to drink 90oz of clear liquids with calories. The medicine seemed to help quickly because ds perked up and was already telling the nurse jokes before they left. If he starts throwing up again we have to take him to the ER.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope he manages to start keeping stuff down.

Ok, so.... after a conversation with DS1, who will be going to high school in a couple of months, and will be required to have an iPad, I am getting my head out of the sand and realizing that I need to be up on social media and how to best monitor, but not stalk my child. Do any of you have advice, parent websites, etc. so that we can navigate this new phase of life? I'm just dreading this. Sometimes I wish he were still playing with Hotwheels and watching Dinosaur Train.

Does it specifically have to be IOS, or would an Android or other platform do for the tablet?  Getting to use different platforms can give you a wider selection and price range, though I do know that some people/organizations (a FAFSA on them!) only put their stuff out on IOS.

I'm not sure about tablets, but on the family phones we have all installed Life360 and have set up a circle for our family.  We (us 4, and DH's folks) always keep our locations shared so we can tell where each other (or each other's phones) is/are.  A person's location-sharing can be turned off, which one SIL does when she's working so she doesn't share locations of clients' homes.  SIL can still see where other family members are even when she isn't sharing her own location.

Back when we had iPhones we could use Find My iPhone, either on someone else's phone or online.  Does IOS also offer this for iPads?

Does the school have any recommendations for parental monitoring of tablet usage?

• Like 1

Advice from Your Friend at Scenes From Rural Life:

When living rurally, mice are a sad fact of life.  Mousetraps are part of one's reality.

Should one notice a noxious odor emanating from the utility room, prior to 1) cleaning and scrubbing the just-cleaned litterbox, 2) removing the incredibly heavy indoor/outdoor rug and 3) cleaning it, 4) mopping to death the tile floor, and 5) dismantling and scrubbing the big dog's food bowls and holder, one should CHECK. THE. FREAKING. MOUSETRAPS.

:mellow:

When we moved to the family farm we had to tear down the old farmhouse (dry rot in the foundation beams) and build new.  We spent two years living in a too-small trailer while Dad built that house.  The water heater was in the pantry, behind the shallow shelves (the shelves were just another door).  We used to have to line the entire floor with mousetraps because them mousies LOVED to come up there.  We had some clever ones who could talk the less clever but more desperate ones into running the gauntlet.  I know those mice were watching their buddies doing this, too, because they learned.  Eventually one managed to make it MOST of the way around before getting caught, setting all of the other traps off while doing so.  We could hear those traps throughout the entire trailer, but somehow it was always my job to go clear the one and reset them all.  If we didn't the mice would make it into the kitchen.

• Like 1

:willy_nilly:  Introvert overload! Introvert overload! Containment breach eminent!  (Currently I have my head buried in the sand, but when I'm ready, I'll PM you.)

Did you mean imminent?  

I do like eminent, though.   :laugh:

• Like 1

When I was growing up we lived in the country. We had a huge, full chest freezer in the service porch. A mouse died under it. My mom wouldn't empty it and move it so we could get the mouse. We lived through all the stages of decomposition. 😵😷😖

When we were tearing down the old house we discovered one fully articulated mouse skeleton under the floorboards of one bedroom.  When we said where Grandpa said to Grandma, "I TOLD you something died up there!"

They hadn't lived in that house for years at that point.

• Like 3

One of my cats catches mice. I think it's Socks. And she leaves their bloody, mangled corpses strewn around the patio. (Ellie, I used laying, not lying)

Wait, should I have used lying?? Laying needs a direct object. Aaack!! Now I don't know.

And now I have a screaming child. Hmm, let me see what she wants.

FTFY!

• Like 1

You really don't want to know what Fart-touch is. Actually, I don't want to know what it is, either. But I have no choice, I live with these people. It's all around me.

Littlest DD is sitting there, pushing and pushing and then announced, "that's it! My butt's empty!"

Is it any wonder I drink so much COFFEE???☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

At least you turn to caffeine!

• Like 1

There's a decomposing bird on the ledge outside the second story window where the Youngers have their orchestra class. It's been there for months and every week we check on the progress.

Biology!

Avian morphology!

Forensic studies!

In college I had a prof who was determined to get good use out of his slides he prepared for a talk on bison mortality and decomposition.  He used them in class, despite a typo on one -- these were photographic-type slides, before Powerpoint was a common thing.

I, of course, in answer to an essay question on a test regarding different types of studies that can be performed on rotting bison carcasses, did make sure to include a mention and brief discussion of the real-but-hotly-debated field of Bison Morality.   :laugh:

• Like 2

Poor kid. He drank 2 gatorades, 2 apple juices, and a Sprite and begged me not to make him drink any more because he was so full. I suggested he take a break for a half hour. He threw up. Ugh. I'm going to see if he can keep more down in the morning, taking it a little slower maybe. I dread having to bring him to the ER, but if he can't get past this dehydration he'll never stop throwing up. And if he doesn't stop throwing up, he'll never get past the dehydration. :ack2:

Duh duh-duh duh! IV fluids to the rescue!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Been there and done that when I was pregnant.  Not fun, and if he goes in be sure he is given warmed blankets because the fluids going into the arm feel quite cold, even when they are warmed somewhat.  It really does perk a person up, however, and they can administer more anti-emetics through the IV, too (which was key for me since I couldn't keep them down long enough for them to dissolve).

• Like 1

A quick Good Morning and COFFEE!!!! because everyone is waking up now....

Also a confession:  I like videos that y'all post even though I can't watch them.  Because schluuuuuuurp.... and all the media barnacles in this house suddenly attach themselves to me.

Also also: I pilates-ed today at 5:22am before the barnacles were in danger of awaking.  Do people do that anymore?  Or is barre the more cool thing now?  Whateves.  I broke out my dvd from 2001 and did it.  Go me.*

Also also also.  I used new shampoo and it smells lovely.  

*Motivational GoMe.  Not Braggadocios GoMe.  

Go, Duckie!

• Like 1

Sometimes I add something I've just done to my list so I can cross it off. Like, hey, I did laundry and I want credit for that.

I do this with the grocery list, too, when DH is getting more "we shouldn't buy anything that's not on the list".  That's a royal we, since it is ME doing the shopping.  If I'm shopping I determine what is on the list and when.  So there.

• Like 1

We had a good paddle yesterday, then swung by ILs' place to check on things and make sure the utility easement gates were fully closed and secured.

Today I need to make a meal plan, shop for groceries, educate kids, chauffeur to music classes, and I'm sure people will expect me to cook supper.  The kitchen needs attention, too, and DD15 and I need more exercise.

I guess I'd better get busy now.  

• Like 3

I do like eminent, though.    :laugh:

Be nice. I's tired! :laugh:

So far the caffeine tonic appears to be effective. I am happily editing another chapter, and if I feel like being sweet, I will do some critiques for other people later today. And now, I will flip laundry.

• Like 3

Good Monday morning.

I had a crappy sleep last night. I'm getting rather tired of this. Pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I slept like I did last night every night, I'd be tired if it, too.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Does it specifically have to be IOS, or would an Android or other platform do for the tablet? Getting to use different platforms can give you a wider selection and price range, though I do know that some people/organizations (a FAFSA on them!) only put their stuff out on IOS.

I'm not sure about tablets, but on the family phones we have all installed Life360 and have set up a circle for our family. We (us 4, and DH's folks) always keep our locations shared so we can tell where each other (or each other's phones) is/are. A person's location-sharing can be turned off, which one SIL does when she's working so she doesn't share locations of clients' homes. SIL can still see where other family members are even when she isn't sharing her own location.

Back when we had iPhones we could use Find My iPhone, either on someone else's phone or online. Does IOS also offer this for iPads?

Does the school have any recommendations for parental monitoring of tablet usage?

It has to be specifically an iPad and they have specifics on this, that and the other thing it has to be. I will have to find out what the school says to do as far as parent monitoring. One thing the told us is to make sure the iPads only have WiFi and not cellular. I don't know what else.

Good Monday morning.

I had a crappy sleep last night. I'm getting rather tired of this. Pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

Good pun.  Very fitting.

• Like 1

It has to be specifically an iPad and they have specifics on this, that and the other thing it has to be. I will have to find out what the school says to do as far as parent monitoring. One thing the told us is to make sure the iPads only have WiFi and not cellular. I don't know what else.

So tablets and not phablets, and specifically IOS.  Do they have a program of financial assistance for students whose families cannot afford these devices?

• Like 1

Thank you!! "Strewn" is much more descriptive, anyway.

I can never remember when to use which word, so I typically hunt down other options to avoid the issue.   :laugh:

• Like 2

Why does Greek yogurt make my mouth feel like chalk??

You are eating a very dry strained yogurt.  A lot of them are, especially the ones with less sweetening.

Has anyone tried straining yogurt themselves to see if it's just as dry as store-bought?  I don't know if the straining results in the dry taste or something they add into the process....

Good morning!

I'm at the children's ER - ds12 has a nice refreshing IV in his hand and trying to find something other than the disney channel to watch. He is feeling much better already. (He threw up twice this morning and nearly passed out on the way back from the bathroom. )

Ds21 and dd18 are holding down the fort at home. Dh got home at about 2am and left for work again at 6:30am. He is hoping to be able to get home a little early today. May those auditors be blessed by many years of random FAFSA Audits.

Sorry about your sick boy, ikslo.

In the immortal words of BSA Troop 13: Drink water or you will die! No, seriously, you will DIE!

Coffee!

• Like 6

When my knee acts up I have a hiking pole I use as a walking aid.  It turns out hiking poles are NOT allowed to be carried onto aircraft.  Canes and medically-necessary walking aids are, however, so I am now ordering in a cane, for Pete's sake.

The one I have ordered collapses nicely when not needed so I can pack it in my carry-on.  It also has a light in the handle so I can blind see more clearly anyone trying to talk to me in the noisy airport environment.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F34YZ44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am now in training to be a cantankerous old biddie!

• Like 3

Good morning!

I'm at the children's ER - ds12 has a nice refreshing IV in his hand and trying to find something other than the disney channel to watch. He is feeling much better already. (He threw up twice this morning and nearly passed out on the way back from the bathroom. )

Ds21 and dd18 are holding down the fort at home. Dh got home at about 2am and left for work again at 6:30am. He is hoping to be able to get home a little early today. May those auditors be blessed by many years of random FAFSA Audits.

In the immortal words of BSA Troop 13: Drink water or you will die! No, seriously, you will DIE!

Coffee!

I liked for the wisdom and general family rallying 'round.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  for the needs.  I'm glad he's starting to feel better.  I hope he gets well soon!

A GET WELL SOON BOOYA(H) for Susan's DS!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

Good morning!

Coffee!

Thanks.  I'm glad yours is feeling better after the IV.  Mine is still sleeping.  It's 12:30 here.  I wish I was still sleeping. :(   My only saving grace is that I am working from home this week so DH could work day shift.

• Like 4