What's with the ads?

#90751 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61599 posts

Posted Today, 11:13 AM

((Dawn)). Can your dh talk to her instead? I know that she's your mother but he would be protecting/ standing up for his wife.

It's a Standing-up-for-Dawn booyah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle, Today, 11:47 AM.

• Susan in TN, JoJosMom, prairiewindmomma and 2 others like this

#90752 Another Lynn

Another Lynn

Got Coffee?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8194 posts

Posted Today, 11:14 AM

I'm outta likes.

Angi, that's a crazy funny dream.  Hope you're laughing about it now.   :laugh:

Ellie, yay for laundry and manicures!

Prairie, the end is in sight - yay!

JJM, yay for your geeky, mathy dd.  Yay for you not giving her a math time out!   :lol:

Dawn,  :grouphug: .  Maybe it's time for your dh to tell your mom that she needs a nursing facility?  I'm sorry it seems like there's no way to bring about a change, but maybe it's time to make it happen.   :grouphug:

• Susan in TN, JoJosMom, prairiewindmomma and 1 other like this

#90753 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61599 posts

Posted Today, 11:14 AM

I grocery shopped and heard all about Lucy's new cookbook that she didn't need but couldn't pass up because it was only a dollar. I like talking to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Renai and Susan in TN like this

#90754 Another Lynn

Another Lynn

Got Coffee?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8194 posts

Posted Today, 11:17 AM

So, (educational post), I sort of updated 15yo ds's transcript.  I had to prepare once for oldest after his 9th grade year, so I had that template to work from.  The template is set up to show 1st semester credits and grades, 2nd semester credits and grades and then Final credits and grades.  I really think showing the semesters separately is a waste of space (and time and effort).  Any opinions on showing 1st and 2nd semester separately vs. just Final grades and credits?  

• Susan in TN likes this

#90755 Junie

Junie

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5381 posts

Posted Today, 11:25 AM

Final grades.  Final credits.

• Renai and Susan in TN like this

#90756 JoJosMom

JoJosMom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6114 posts

Posted Today, 11:32 AM

Dawn, I agree with the others about seeing if DH can intervene for you.  Your mom is abusing you.  It needs to stop. :grouphug:

• Susan in TN, prairiewindmomma and Slache like this

#90757 JoJosMom

JoJosMom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6114 posts

Posted Today, 11:35 AM

So, (educational post), I sort of updated 15yo ds's transcript.  I had to prepare once for oldest after his 9th grade year, so I had that template to work from.  The template is set up to show 1st semester credits and grades, 2nd semester credits and grades and then Final credits and grades.  I really think showing the semesters separately is a waste of space (and time and effort).  Any opinions on showing 1st and 2nd semester separately vs. just Final grades and credits?  

I have no experience and no clue, so my input is limited to question form.

Question:  If your student takes multiple one-semester classes (whether electives or dual enrollment), would there be any advantage to sticking with the by-semester system?

• Susan in TN likes this

#90758 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61599 posts

Posted Today, 11:48 AM

I have no experience and no clue, so my input is limited to question form.

Question:  If your student takes multiple one-semester classes (whether electives or dual enrollment), would there be any advantage to sticking with the by-semester system?

For a one semester class you would just give half a credit.  Still just one final grade. 

#90759 Susan in TN

Susan in TN

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11697 posts

Posted Today, 11:57 AM

:hurray: for sleep and quiet dogs. Good boy, Rocky!

:hurray: for being nearly done with classes! Finish strong!

(((Dawn))) I'm sorry. We'll pray that God makes it clear what to do and gives you grace to do whatever it is. (((Dawn)))
  • Jean in Newcastle likes this

#90760 Susan in TN

Susan in TN

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11697 posts

Posted Today, 12:00 PM

So, (educational post), I sort of updated 15yo ds's transcript. I had to prepare once for oldest after his 9th grade year, so I had that template to work from. The template is set up to show 1st semester credits and grades, 2nd semester credits and grades and then Final credits and grades. I really think showing the semesters separately is a waste of space (and time and effort). Any opinions on showing 1st and 2nd semester separately vs. just Final grades and credits?

I used to do year-long courses, grades, and credits, but our homeschool umbrella changed to a semester system, so everything goes in by semester. Which reminds me, I really need to check the transcript thing to make sure I'm not awarding a whole credit per semester instead of 1/2 a credit.

#90761 KrissiK

KrissiK

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11074 posts

Posted Today, 12:03 PM

((Dawn)). The others gave you some good advice. PrayIng for you, my friend.

#90762 Susan in TN

Susan in TN

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11697 posts

Posted Today, 12:03 PM

Dawn, are there any caregiver support groups in your area? They might have ideas and resources that could help?
  • whitehawk likes this

#90763 Renai

Renai

Icon Queen and Head Ninja Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10278 posts

Posted Today, 12:30 PM

Uh oh, major mea culpa.  I opened Renai's ITT recipe file in Google docs and wanted to print it.  I thought I could adjust where certain pages started and NOT save the changes, but I think the changes saved anyway.  To get things to page nicer I deleted some blank lines and added blank lines elsewhere, and I deleted some cut-and-pasted lines, like the bullet notations about specific posters ("Empress Bee" or the like).

Renai, if I have actually ruined anything I am very VERY sorry!  I should have copied and pasted into a Word document locally and THEN adjusted.  Will you forgive me?  

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

:scared:  :svengo:

Nah, jk. A google doc changes as you go. It is very easy to click the link that says "See changes" and go through and see what was done. If anything important was taken out, that makes it easy to put it back in. It really isn't a big deal. I wasn't making anything pretty, just cutting and pasting. Cuz ain't nobody got time for that. Except you, apparently. You just made my job easier. :D

• Jean in Newcastle, whitehawk and Junie like this

#90764 Renai

Renai

Icon Queen and Head Ninja Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10278 posts

Posted Today, 12:37 PM

Final grades and credits. Takes up less room. Besides, at my dd's pace, things aren't always finished in a semester. Or year. Ah, that's why I have a subject transcript. Yep.

• Jean in Newcastle, Susan in TN, prairiewindmomma and 2 others like this

#90765 Junie

Junie

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5381 posts

Posted Today, 01:07 PM

Final grades and credits. Takes up less room. Besides, at my dd's pace, things aren't always finished in a semester. Or year. Ah, that's why I have a subject transcript. Yep.

With our year-round school we sometimes take three months to finish a course or a year and a half.  If it weren't for that whole getting into college thing I would have been a marvelous un-schooler.

• Jean in Newcastle likes this

#90766 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61599 posts

Posted Today, 01:13 PM

Today is a jazzy kind of day.  I'm listening to the Alex Guilbert Trio.  It makes me feel high class.  In sort of a Matthew McConaughey sort of way. 

• Susan in TN likes this

#90767 KrissiK

KrissiK

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11074 posts

Posted Today, 01:15 PM

Warning: educational content ahead!!

So, I accidentally skipped the chapter about the Punic Wars in SOTW with my 2nd grader and kindergartener. Do y'all think this will affect their chances to get into Stanford?

Edited by KrissiK, Today, 01:15 PM.

#90768 Slache

Slache

Fluent in Spanglish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18624 posts

Posted Today, 01:17 PM

What do I do if my child starts Biology in 9th and finishes it in 10th? Give credit in 10th and no science in 9th?

#90769 JoJosMom

JoJosMom

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6114 posts

Posted Today, 01:24 PM

So, I accidentally skipped the chapter about the Punic Wars in SOTW with my 2nd grader and kindergartener. Do y'all think this will affect their chances to get into Stanford?

DOOMED!  They're doomed, I tell you!  :svengo:

• prairiewindmomma, whitehawk and Junie like this

#90770 Junie

Junie

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5381 posts

Posted Today, 01:27 PM

What do I do if my child starts Biology in 9th and finishes it in 10th? Give credit in 10th and no science in 9th?

I am writing my current high school transcripts by subject instead of by year because of this very issue.

• prairiewindmomma and Slache like this

#90771 Junie

Junie

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5381 posts

Posted Today, 01:29 PM

There is way too much educational content on this thread today.   :glare:

So here's the education report from Junie's House:

We are still doing our virtual trip around the world and are currently in Europe.  Today's reading at lunch was about Germany, so we ate pretzels and gummy bears.  :)

• Jean in Newcastle, Susan in TN and prairiewindmomma like this

#90772 Slache

Slache

Fluent in Spanglish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18624 posts

Posted Today, 01:33 PM

We did math and mapping in Spanish only today. I'm so proud of my kids.  :001_wub:

• Susan in TN and whitehawk like this

#90773 Slache

Slache

Fluent in Spanglish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18624 posts

Posted Today, 01:34 PM

I am writing my current high school transcripts by subject instead of by year because of this very issue.

Is this common? I assumed Renai made it up.

#90774 KrissiK

KrissiK

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11074 posts

Posted Today, 01:40 PM

DOOMED! They're doomed, I tell you! :svengo:

That's what I thought. The competition is stiff.
  • Susan in TN, JoJosMom and Slache like this

#90775 Slache

Slache

Fluent in Spanglish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18624 posts

Posted Today, 01:40 PM

Me earlier: Why is my coffee so light? And when did I drink most of it? Wow it's really cold. I put waaaaay too much creamer in this.

You could almost see the hamster in the wheel in my head... lying there dead. (In case it's not obvious I had not yet poured my coffee into my cup when I took the first sip.)

• Jean in Newcastle and Susan in TN like this

#90776 Slache

Slache

Fluent in Spanglish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18624 posts

Posted Today, 01:42 PM

Hey, whitehalk! Do you think a YECer would appreciate all 3 levels of BFSU?

#90777 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61599 posts

Posted Today, 02:03 PM

Indubitably.

#90778 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61599 posts

Posted Today, 02:06 PM

I put biology on 9th and whatever science we started in 10th after biology was done, for 10th.  But then I had my eldest do two years of 12th grade, so what do I know?  He needed it for maturation reasons.  He's doing just fine in college now.  And psst.  no one knows or cares. 

#90779 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61599 posts

Posted Today, 02:08 PM

I have no idea what "we've" done for school this morning.  All I know is that there has been no fainting going on - or if it has, it's been silent fainting that I don't know about.  And I haven't had the "Mom" signal flash for help in algebra or anything else.  In the meantime, I've been able to get some semblance of control over the kitchen and food, so that's good. 

#90780 lanalouwho

lanalouwho

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted Today, 02:14 PM

We were working on handwriting. He seemed uncomfortable in his chair so I asked if he wanted to switch. This turned into a 10 min ordeal that ended with me not giving a single @#$+!! whether or not he is comfortable. I'm on time out.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

#90781 Slache

Slache

Fluent in Spanglish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18624 posts

Posted Today, 02:15 PM

And psst.  no one knows or cares. 

Now THAT'S a good point.

#90782 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5120 posts

Posted Today, 02:17 PM

Today is a jazzy kind of day. I'm listening to the Alex Guilbert Trio. It makes me feel high class. In sort of a Matthew McConaughey sort of way.

I have heard that Matthew never showers or does anything to smell yummy.

Edited by myblessings4, Today, 02:17 PM.

#90783 Slache

Slache

Fluent in Spanglish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18624 posts

Posted Today, 02:22 PM

Eww.

#90784 whitehawk

whitehawk

Making it go!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4956 posts

Posted Today, 02:30 PM

Educational Content: Rated H for Homeschooling.

Hey, whitehawk! Do you think a YECer would appreciate all 3 levels of BFSU?

Well, we're only in Volume 2, and I believe I sold Volume 1. I'll give it a shot, though.

The series is secular; it presumes (but doesn't go into at length about, that I remember) an old Earth and evolution. D-11 (volcanoes, tectonic plates) talks about Pangaea a bit. (Also, B-14, Vol 2, presumes that students know where babies come from.) But the series centers phenomena that the student can observe directly--that's why in Vol 2, though we observed cells under a microscope, Nebel doesn't talk about organelles, except to say that elementary students don't need that level of detail. We had already covered that in 2nd grade, though, just for fun.

This says that B-33 and D-20 (Vol 3) are about Darwin and natural selection. D-19 is about eons of time. Easy enough to skip three chapters if one wishes.

It could work. Many people's objection is the need to get student-directed materials (like kids' non-fiction from the library, videos online, or items to demonstrate with), because BFSU is all written to the teacher and pretty much free of diagrams. If that's not an obstacle, I think the content shouldn't be a big deal, except that you'd have to add in the YEC worldview.

Edited by whitehawk, Today, 02:34 PM.