Menu

Ignore this thread!

So, I got totally sidetracked and started looking up books on the library website and putting a bunch on hold. I'm going to bed now. I'll finish the transcript(s) tomorrow. I want to get it done this week so that Dancer can put in her application for an academic camp this summer. It's here in town, but she'd stay on the university campus for the week.

• Like 3

I get points, chocolate, and bonus points!!

The textbook looks ok as far as lit textbooks go.  Truthfully, I have never seen a lit text that I like.  (And, in a previous life, I was a high school English teacher.)  I prefer whole works.  It looks ok, though I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it.

I don't know anything about Excellence in Literature or Teaching the Classics.  Maybe I should look at them for my own upcoming 9th grader...

Here we are using Writing With Skill (it's a good program and they do it with very little assistance from me; and I expect high school level writing in their assignments).

And, yes, a huge stack of books.  I haven't made dd12's list yet.  We do Introduction to Lit in 9th, American Lit in 10th, Brit Lit in 11th and World Lit in 12th.  I *think* I have reading lists somewhere if you're interested.

Thanks Junie!  I agree about textbooks.  I think I'm mostly thinking poetry and short stories with it because otherwise I don't take the time to pull any together.  (#unorganized  #lazy)  If you're killing time later during testing and have the lists handy, that would be great, but don't go to any trouble.  Just comparing lists between the Center for Lit (same folks as Teaching the Classics) ad Excellence in Lit. (and some other sources) gives me a pretty good idea.  But I love lists - so full of hope, lol!   

I just looked at Excellence in Literature.  I couldn't find any sample pages, but it looks interesting.  I might buy one of the courses to see what it's like.  I don't think I would use the curriculum as written, but that's because I *never* use the curriculum as written.  (I am using Saxon mostly the right way, now, though. I have learned some things from this board   ;) )

I want to look at the 2nd level at convention to see if it really helps much with composition.  Last time I looked at the other guides up close the writing prompts were more to do with author context papers than literary analysis.  So I didn't think the guides were all that helpful.  

• Like 2

Okay, so this is the day we normally had CC, but it's finished for the year (except my 15yo who still has several weeks - and my 13yo still has her co-op on Mondays.)  So, I'm home alone with 11yo and 8yo.  I had thought we would do school work today, but it just feels so weird to be home with the 15yo and 13yo gone to their classes.  Like oxen catching the scent of water on some westward trail, I feel like this year should be over.  Like right now.  Trying to come back into routine after disruption this time of year is a killer!  I'm not sure what to trudge on through and what to let go of.....  I might need a day to come to my senses.

• Like 6

I'm back. This is has not been a day of rest. We churched. I made a quick run up to the Big City to see my dad. In summary, he's doing better. Although he was in restraints when I got there because he had ripped out all his IVs and was bleeding all over the place. 😩. Then we spent all afternoon at meetings at church for Youth stuff. Ugh! It was boring and then I got all het up at this one gal during the jr. High portion of the meeting. She wanted to make sure the Jr. high Director wasn't "digging too deeply into Scripture" (her words exactly) during the Wednesday night program because the kids could be bringing their friends and heaven forbid we actually teach them something besides, "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life." I mean, I can understand the need to not go into the finer points of amillenielism vs. pre- vs. post-millenielism, and maybe a discussion on Limited Atonement might be over the heads of some, but.... kids can understand a lot and this idea of the Bible Study being the broccoli that we have to eat so we can get to the dessert....I don't know. I hate the idea of Youth Group anyhow. If it's supposed to be a fun and games time, then make it about that. But the rest of the kids, up to 6th grade are doing Awana on Wednesday night, where they actually learn about the Bible. So, is the idea that you get to junior high and automatically you know all there is to know about God and you just play. Ugh! Sorry about the vent. I'm just mad. And I probably said stuff I shouldn't have.😡

PREACH IT, SISTER!!!

(*scurries back off to try to catch up...*)

• Like 5

Lynn, I feel you on the burnout thing.  I think I had waaaaay too much going on last summer and into last fall; we hit a crash and are kinda limping along.  Tonight is the last geometry class ( :party: ), but the homework will drag for a bit longer.  I've declared Sort-Of Spring Break for Wednesday through Saturday, and the short person and I are going to Seattle for 4 days.  To heck with the budget, I think the kid needs a truly fun break.  After that, we need to become physics and logic goddesses.  And some other stuff.  And her BW Shakespeare Lit Analysis class.  And grammar refresher.  :svengo:

I need more coffee.  And a nap.  Or are those two things mutually exclusive?

• Like 4

Thanks Junie!  I agree about textbooks.  I think I'm mostly thinking poetry and short stories with it because otherwise I don't take the time to pull any together.  (#unorganized  #lazy)  If you're killing time later during testing and have the lists handy, that would be great, but don't go to any trouble.  Just comparing lists between the Center for Lit (same folks as Teaching the Classics) ad Excellence in Lit. (and some other sources) gives me a pretty good idea.  But I love lists - so full of hope, lol!   

I want to look at the 2nd level at convention to see if it really helps much with composition.  Last time I looked at the other guides up close the writing prompts were more to do with author context papers than literary analysis.  So I didn't think the guides were all that helpful.  

Points for quoting myself.  

I could just sign her up for the live class with Center for Lit.  But I still have to do something about writing.  And then we're married to their list rather than choosing our own.  And it's not cheap.  

#planningisprocrastinating

#ratherthinkaboutnextyearthanthisone

• Like 3

Lynn, I feel you on the burnout thing.  I think I had waaaaay too much going on last summer and into last fall; we hit a crash and are kinda limping along.  Tonight is the last geometry class ( :party: ), but the homework will drag for a bit longer.  I've declared Sort-Of Spring Break for Wednesday through Saturday, and the short person and I are going to Seattle for 4 days.  To heck with the budget, I think the kid needs a truly fun break.  After that, we need to become physics and logic goddesses.  And some other stuff.  And her BW Shakespeare Lit Analysis class.  And grammar refresher.  :svengo:

Don't....take....the.....trip....  It's a trap!  You'll come home and not be able to start back up!!!   :eek:     :willy_nilly:        :blink:        :banghead:     :001_tt2:     :D  

• Like 2

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

🌸🌸 88888 🌸🌸

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

Okay, so this is the day we normally had CC, but it's finished for the year (except my 15yo who still has several weeks - and my 13yo still has her co-op on Mondays.)  So, I'm home alone with 11yo and 8yo.  I had thought we would do school work today, but it just feels so weird to be home with the 15yo and 13yo gone to their classes.  Like oxen catching the scent of water on some westward trail, I feel like this year should be over.  Like right now.  Trying to come back into routine after disruption this time of year is a killer!  I'm not sure what to trudge on through and what to let go of.....  I might need a day to come to my senses.

Right there with you.  This year has been a little more interesting than needed, and the interruptions haven't finished yet.

• Like 1

Don't....take....the.....trip....  It's a trap!  You'll come home and not be able to start back up!!!   :eek:     :willy_nilly:        :blink:        :banghead:     :001_tt2:     :D  

Nah, I vote break!  Road trip!   :driving:  :auto:  :P

• Like 4

Rutabagas are kind of like mild turnips. Or parsnips. Root vegetablely.

Can they be eaten raw, or only cooked?

My computer keyboard won't give me the voice-to-text option my phone does.  *pout*  Touching the screen doesn't do anything except put fingerprints on it, too. *grump*

More points for quoting myself....

So (the word of decision and wisdom!) I have decided we will not do school today.  But tomorrow is the regular routine.  I will drop Latin for 11yo ds and maybe writing.  We will continue with assigned reading (Bible, history, literature), spelling, grammar, and math.  We will double up on some of the reading to get it done more quickly.  For 8yo dd, we will continue free reading, spelling, math (focus on multiplication facts).  

The thing that's a little weird is that usually I'm all about the content subjects and ready to cut back a bit on skill subjects.  But I just don't even care about more content right now.   

• Like 5

I am in semi-limbo preparing for the next large-ish eventuality, yet having to wait on others.  I'm scatter-brained enough to not think through all of what needs to happen, so I'm allowing myself to be driven by deadlines looming to get stuff done.  I dare not start any project to fill the time because it will take up more time than I should let it, and I'll have to leave it partially done.

Oh, yeah, I have a headband to finish crocheting!  That ought to tide me over the next few minutes!

• Like 1

More points for quoting myself....

So (the word of decision and wisdom!) I have decided we will not do school today.  But tomorrow is the regular routine.  I will drop Latin for 11yo ds and maybe writing.  We will continue with assigned reading (Bible, history, literature), spelling, grammar, and math.  We will double up on some of the reading to get it done more quickly.  For 8yo dd, we will continue free reading, spelling, math (focus on multiplication facts).  

The thing that's a little weird is that usually I'm all about the content subjects and ready to cut back a bit on skill subjects.  But I just don't even care about more content right now.   

We finished up some subjects this past week so we can have fewer to concentrate on after this next interruption.  Writing will be the next focus to try to finish off, and then we can take however much time is needed to focus on math, and biology labs.  And decluttering.  And cleaning more tile grout (a project left partially done due to my knee issues, though hopefully something I can finish before June).

• Like 1

Our truck is supposed to be blue, but it's green today due to wind yesterday and unusually productive pine trees. Will all this activity going on I expect a fine crop of pine cones this fall.

ETA: And I think the oaks are getting in on the action too.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

Phew -- taking a break!

So this morning's testing looked like this:

1 section with dd6

1 section with dd9

1 section with dd6

1 section with dd9, dd10, and dd12

1 section with dd6

1 section with dd10

1 section with dd12

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Go us!!

• Like 7

For Lynn:

Dd14's American Lit reading list

Rappaccini’s Daughter – Nathaniel Hawthorne

Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain

Pudd’nhead Wilson – Mark Twain

The Most Dangerous Game

The Milk Pitcher

The Ambitious Guest

The Cop and the Anthem

The Lady or the Tiger

The L1000000 Bank Note

A Piece of Steak

Charles

The Luck of Roaring Camp

A Cask of Amontillado

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

Rip Van Winkle

Contents of a Dead Man’s Pockets

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God

Little Men

Little Women (dvd)

The Bay Psalm Book 1 and 63

Of Plymouth Plantation

Poor Richard’s Almanac (selections)

Unicorn in the Garden

My Antonia

Bernice Bobs Her Hair

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Ransom of Red Chief

Christmas Day in the Morning -- Buck

Spoon River Anthology (excerpts)

Billy Budd audiodrama

The Pearl

Poverty in John Steinbeck’s The Pearl (selections)

To Kill a Mockingbird plus literature guide

Poetry selections – Frost, Sandburg, cummings

Poetry Rocks! Beauty in Words

Poetry Rocks! Echoes and Shadows

Ds16's American Lit reading list

Rip Van Winkle – Washington Irving

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God – Jonathan Edwards

The Bay Psalm Book (selections)              

Verses Upon the Burning of Our House… -- Anne Bradstreet      

On Being Brought from Africa to America – Phyllis Wheatley       

The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne           

Of Plymouth Plantation – William Bradford

Captain John Smith and Pocahontas – John Smith

Captured by Indians – Mary Rowlandson

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County – Samuel L. Clemens

The Slave Singing at Midnight – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The Sifting of Peter – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Poor Richard’s Almanac (selections) – Benjamin Franklin

Common Sense – Thomas Paine (excerpt)

Poetry Selections – Edgar Allan Poe

Moby Dick (audiobook) – Herman Melville

Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain

Pudd’nhead Wilson – Mark Twain

The Ransom of Red Chief – O. Henry

Spoon River Anthology (selections)  – Edgar Lee Masters

Poetry Selections – Robert Frost

Poetry Selections – Carl Sandburg

Poetry Selections – e.e. cummings

The Pearl – John Steinbeck

Poverty in John Steinbeck’s The Pearl (selections)

Rappaccini’s Daughter – Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Princess and the Brownie – Louisa May Alcott

To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee

Poetry Rocks:  Early American Poetry

Poetry Rocks:  Modern American Poetry

Bernice Bobs Her Hair – F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Most Dangerous Game

The Milk Pitcher

The Ambitious Guest

The Catbird Seat

The L1,000,000 Bank Note

A Piece of Steak

The Luck of Roaring Camp

The Cask of Amontillado

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

The cashier at the grocery store this morning asked when dd was going to choose to go to "regular school".  I lightly replied "she sees no need for that" but really I wanted to slap her.  I think I need a time out.  With chocolate.  And an escapist book. 

It's not a bad day though.  It's sunny and storms aren't supposed to hit until noon.

I have to finish up the taxes.

And get ready for academic testing for the next two days.

Oh - and put in a supplement order. 

I do have a crockpot meal planned for tonight and have all the ingredients.  That means that I'm ahead of the game right there. 

It's a Slappy Happy Booyah! 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

I burned down to the wick last month.  There's nothing left to light.  I'm telling myself he's only in 4th grade.  I can rejuvenate this summer and we can start 5th grade strong.  Literature, spelling, math, history.  Just plugging away to get the number of days we need.  All extras went out the window.

And now DH has done gone gotten me sick.  :glare:  Coffee and nap sound wonderful. 

• Like 3

We are done with history for the year. We are done with geography as soon as I have the kids fill out their end-of-year world maps. Ds12 finished math (miracle of miracles!). We have one science lesson left, which may take us a couple days to get through.

I have no idea what to read next for story time, which starts in 5 minutes. Last week we read the Beatrix Potter collection.

Dh just called and we are having out-of-town guests tomorrow night. I am in a blissful state of denial right now. Panic will set in tomorrow morning when the dirty dishes start overflowing the kitchen sink and I realize that we have nowhere to sit because the girls' clothes piles and tubs have taken over the living room. :willy_nilly:

• Like 5

I burned down to the wick last month.  There's nothing left to light.  I'm telling myself he's only in 4th grade.  I can rejuvenate this summer and we can start 5th grade strong.  Literature, spelling, math, history.  Just plugging away to get the number of days we need.  All extras went out the window.

And now DH has done gone gotten me sick.  :glare:  Coffee and nap sound wonderful. 

He's only in 4th grade.  Nothing you do right now is gonna go on the Harvard app. :grouphug:

I'm going to ask my friend Jean to stop by your house.  I hear she has an effective way of dealing with nosy cashiers and husbands who overshare their germs.

• Like 7