Menu

Ignore this thread!

What's the error? I'm truly asking.

Well, it's a pot for cooking and it came back with garden dirt all over it. I like to keep indoor tools indoor and outdoor tools for outdoor. There is an old pitcher designated for the dog's water (outdoor only dog) that would have been sufficient without contaminating kitchen pots.

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3

I'm back. This is has not been a day of rest. We churched. I made a quick run up to the Big City to see my dad. In summary, he's doing better. Although he was in restraints when I got there because he had ripped out all his IVs and was bleeding all over the place. 😩. Then we spent all afternoon at meetings at church for Youth stuff. Ugh! It was boring and then I got all het up at this one gal during the jr. High portion of the meeting. She wanted to make sure the Jr. high Director wasn't "digging too deeply into Scripture" (her words exactly) during the Wednesday night program because the kids could be bringing their friends and heaven forbid we actually teach them something besides, "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life." I mean, I can understand the need to not go into the finer points of amillenielism vs. pre- vs. post-millenielism, and maybe a discussion on Limited Atonement might be over the heads of some, but.... kids can understand a lot and this idea of the Bible Study being the broccoli that we have to eat so we can get to the dessert....I don't know. I hate the idea of Youth Group anyhow. If it's supposed to be a fun and games time, then make it about that. But the rest of the kids, up to 6th grade are doing Awana on Wednesday night, where they actually learn about the Bible. So, is the idea that you get to junior high and automatically you know all there is to know about God and you just play. Ugh! Sorry about the vent. I'm just mad. And I probably said stuff I shouldn't have.😡

• Like 7

Hey Krissi - glad your dad is doing better. My stomach did just a little flop at the thought of the IVs and etc.

I remember youth group growing up and honestly, what really made me and the other kids really want to be there was when we had a teacher who taught us scripture and theology like we were in possession of brains and could think at least half-way logically. :D Then there's the Jr. High teacher who thought it would be a good idea to have us all practice asking the other kids out on dates. :huh:

My throat hurts. I seem to remember that ice cream is the best (if not most effective) remedy?

(Dd10 just walked in to give me a "Get Well Soon" card, complete with a maze for me to complete for entertainment. :wub: )

• Like 8

Hey Krissi - glad your dad is doing better. My stomach did just a little flop at the thought of the IVs and etc.

I remember youth group growing up and honestly, what really made me and the other kids really want to be there was when we had a teacher who taught us scripture and theology like we were in possession of brains and could think at least half-way logically. :D Then there's the Jr. High teacher who thought it would be a good idea to have us all practice asking the other kids out on dates. :huh:

My throat hurts. I seem to remember that ice cream is the best (if not most effective) remedy?

(Dd10 just walked in to give me a "Get Well Soon" card, complete with a maze for me to complete for entertainment. :wub: )

I love that Get Well Card Maze idea. What a creative kid you got there!!!! I'm sorry your throat hurts. Ice cream definitely makes it feel better.
  • Like 2

Do my dishes too, Krissi! Since you're up and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem!! And since I'm up and all, how about a cool drink with an umbrella in it? Some peeled grapes?? A foot massage?? Oh.... wait..... we have staff for that!! 😜
  • Like 5

Anyone planning a special Easter meal? I think we'll have ham, sweet potato/apple bake, asparagus with hollandaise, green salad, and dessert. Maybe pound cake and ice cream or that strawberry salad stuff that I love but have never made. (I depend on the kindness of strangers at church pot-lucks.)

• Like 1

Educational post starting with so....

So, I think we're close to deciding on academic stuff for my up and coming 9th grader.  Spanish and biology - outsourced locally.  Math - Derek Owens (probably parent graded).  History - finish the American history credit we started this year - Notgrass and lots of Albert Marrin books with discussion and writing.  English - it looks like we'll also be doing this on our own.  This is the scary part.  Here are options I'm considering:  Option a) Use the Teaching the Classics dvds (already own), then read Huckleberry Finn and watch the TTC dvd for it (borrowed from a friend), then choose a list of works to read, discuss and write papers on.  Option b) Combine Excellence in Literature (either level 1 or level 2) with this textbook:  http://www.textword.com/explorer.html.  (I'm thinking of getting this textbook used just for the short stories and poems if nothing else) and write papers on each major work.  Option c) Completely separate writing assignments from literature and use some kind of open and go resource for writing.... not sure what and hand her a stack of books to read.

If you read all that - give yourself some points and some chocolate.  (Extra points for reviewing the textbook I linked, lol.   :D )  

I get points, chocolate, and bonus points!!

The textbook looks ok as far as lit textbooks go.  Truthfully, I have never seen a lit text that I like.  (And, in a previous life, I was a high school English teacher.)  I prefer whole works.  It looks ok, though I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it.

I don't know anything about Excellence in Literature or Teaching the Classics.  Maybe I should look at them for my own upcoming 9th grader...

Here we are using Writing With Skill (it's a good program and they do it with very little assistance from me; and I expect high school level writing in their assignments).

And, yes, a huge stack of books.  I haven't made dd12's list yet.  We do Introduction to Lit in 9th, American Lit in 10th, Brit Lit in 11th and World Lit in 12th.  I *think* I have reading lists somewhere if you're interested.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 4

I just looked at Excellence in Literature.  I couldn't find any sample pages, but it looks interesting.  I might buy one of the courses to see what it's like.  I don't think I would use the curriculum as written, but that's because I *never* use the curriculum as written.  (I am using Saxon mostly the right way, now, though. I have learned some things from this board  ;) )

• Like 2

I sauteed a pkg of mushrooms and chopped up about three cups of leftiver beef and potatoes from a roast I did and mixed them tog w 1 T parmesan and some gravy. I made the gravy with a roux of 1 T butter, 1 T bobs red mill all purpose gf flour then added about one cup of: leftover juice from the roast(fat skimmed off), juice from sauteed mushrooms, 1 t worcestshire sauce, salt and pepper to taste. I put a crust on top of 1 c gf flour, one stick butter, 3 oz cream cheese, 2-3 T water. It made a little too much, I thought. I ended up not using 1/4 c of it. Anyhow, 425 for 30-45 min. :)

Since you've shared a recipe, you should know that ITT is putting together a cookbook and you're now in it! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tUJcEVdSamXs7eWqBba0OXR2M6b4ZwGblwuomXjUQ8Q/edit

• Like 4

I'm back. This is has not been a day of rest. We churched. I made a quick run up to the Big City to see my dad. In summary, he's doing better. Although he was in restraints when I got there because he had ripped out all his IVs and was bleeding all over the place. 😩. Then we spent all afternoon at meetings at church for Youth stuff. Ugh! It was boring and then I got all het up at this one gal during the jr. High portion of the meeting. She wanted to make sure the Jr. high Director wasn't "digging too deeply into Scripture" (her words exactly) during the Wednesday night program because the kids could be bringing their friends and heaven forbid we actually teach them something besides, "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life." I mean, I can understand the need to not go into the finer points of amillenielism vs. pre- vs. post-millenielism, and maybe a discussion on Limited Atonement might be over the heads of some, but.... kids can understand a lot and this idea of the Bible Study being the broccoli that we have to eat so we can get to the dessert....I don't know. I hate the idea of Youth Group anyhow. If it's supposed to be a fun and games time, then make it about that. But the rest of the kids, up to 6th grade are doing Awana on Wednesday night, where they actually learn about the Bible. So, is the idea that you get to junior high and automatically you know all there is to know about God and you just play. Ugh! Sorry about the vent. I'm just mad. And I probably said stuff I shouldn't have.😡

:iagree: .

And now I'm wondering what you said.

• Like 1

Renai, did you ever find your phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, yes! It was finally found late this afternoon by dh. I knew it was around the house somewhere because I have Lookout and the last known location was here. It had fallen into the bag of bags. You know, the bag with all the fabric shopping bags in it. Cuz, here, we are charged for store bags. Yeah.

ETA:

And it's a BAGGY BOOYA!

comic-words-collection-024.jpg

Edited by Renai
  • Like 9

I'm back!! Susan got the magic number 8888888888888888 by post padding. Ummmmmmm, Susan! I'm telling!!

Dishes are washed. Dishwasher is humming!!

I gotta go to bed.

I don't really want to, because going to bed means that morning will come soon, although we are on Easter Vacation this week. But I gotta go to the dermatologist and have her remove the remains of my stitches tomorrow. 8:30 appointment in the Big City. And I have to drive on freeways. I hate freeways with a passion. I hate driving. I should call the ITT chauffeur. Who is it? Jeeves? I don't like Jeeves. He's too formal. Maybe I'll call Ricky to bring around the 1969 GTO and blast Aerosmith and Journey all the way there.

• Like 8