Menu

Good German program for Kids (7 & 10) ??

Hi!

I'm looking for a good program to teach my kids German, before we go visit my Mom next year. So far I've only found programs for little kids that are too baby-ish for my kids, or ones geared towards Teens/Adults... I can help them with pronunciation, etc, but I'm having a hard time teaching them without some kind of program to follow. They both have Kindle's (Fire), so an app would also be an option.

I would appreciate any ideas!! We've tried Muzzy before, but I'm not too fond of it.

Thanks so much!!

• 2 weeks later...

My boys have tried these listed from easiest to use to hardest to use outside a classroom

Planetino

WIR. Grundkurs Deutsch für junge

Das Neue Deutschmobil

Now older is using Ideen Deutsch für Jugendliche

Planetino would be ideal for these ages.

Thread stealing...

Can you tell me how you liked Planetino, if you did all three levels, and if so, what you did next?  Also, 3 levels = 3 semesters, years, or... ? 

This program looks really meaty, I see it gets kids up to A1 level.  Most children's German seems to just spend a whole lot of time learning a whole lot of... not much. 

Also, I see there are a number of components.  Do I need all of them? 

Can you tell me how you liked Planetino, if you did all three levels, and if so, what you did next?

My younger boy's German class use the textbook which has CD and workbook. The saturday class paced it at a level a year/two semesters. He also have a grammar book for extra grammar practice as his teacher thinks that grammar is insufficient.

The school pick the curriculum but I do find it easy enough to help him even with my rusty German without buying the teacher's guide.

ETA:

It is possible to finish a level a semester if you are doing daily.

• Like 1

Thread stealing...

Can you tell me how you liked Planetino, if you did all three levels, and if so, what you did next? Also, 3 levels = 3 semesters, years, or... ?

This program looks really meaty, I see it gets kids up to A1 level. Most children's German seems to just spend a whole lot of time learning a whole lot of... not much.

Also, I see there are a number of components. Do I need all of them?

Sorry, I missed your reaction.

I bought Planetino when dd was 10 and German her 5th language.

So the program wasn't a good fit as in going to slow and being too easy

It isn't a bad program, but it didn't fit here at the time.

We used the textbook, workbook and audio CD In that time.

Right now we use CIDEB (blackkat) readers / Children books in German, Grammatik - Ganz Klar.

In secondary school it is common to reach A1 after 1 year, A2 after an additional year, B1 after an additional 1-2 years.

For Elementary level schools expect a lower pace.

This for the 'German as Foreign Language' track, the German speaking part of Belgium uses German schoolbooks.

HTH

• Like 1