Menu

VSPA Online Education

Have any of you used Veritas Press' online education? I am contemplating using their program this year or the next. What was your experience? What classes did you choose to do online and which did you choose to work at self-paced? What did you like best and what did you like least? Thanks in advance.

Are you looking at history/bible or omnibus? We are doing OTAE and NT next year but they are aimed for 2nd and 3rd grade. They do have lit books geared towards 4th and 5th to add on so we are doing that. The program is meant to start 2nd grade-6th then move onto omnibus but from what I've read people do use them for different grades so I was comfortable using them for my 4th and 5th grader.

We used the self paced class this year and loved it!! My DD did Middle Ages, Ref and Ren. Next year she will do Explorers to 1815 and my second grader will do Old Testament and Ancient Greece. We are planning on having this lead directly into self paced Omnibus.

I feel that the classes are great on their own but the literature that goes with them really prepares them for Omnibus

What specific questions do you have?

Thanks for the responses! :)

I was thinking of their diploma program.

I was thinking of her taking Math and Grammar/Writing, online/live with a teacher for two days a week.

Then doing the History and Bible with the self-paced classes.

Science is going to be graded or online and Literature and Latin pass/fail.

I am still having cognitive and physical issues from the brain stem stroke that I had in May and I thought this would work for both Meghan and myself.

Had anyone done the diploma program or taken the online classes?

I live on the east coast and my parents are helping. My husband's job reinstated bonuses after about eight years of not getting them (nor pay raises) or we could not afford it.

I like what I see and they have received good reviews, I just wondered if any of you here and any experience.

I guess I will be the one to share my experience if we go through with this. :)

• Like 1

My son who is labeled "gifted" did their Diploma program in 7th grade, I am saying this because academically he is very much ahead and was doing HS work at this age.  I was accepting a new baby and knew I couldn't keep up with what he needed academically so I thought I would hand him over to VP.  Anyhow, from our experience it is EXTREMELY time consuming.  My son had no time to breathe due to the 2x a week per class so each class enrolled is 3hrs. each week on top of all of the reading and assignments.  I really like the rigor don't get me wrong but to do all of their classes through them is too much!  I would recommend the areas you feel that you can't keep up with them and then do the others at home.  You can still be in their "diploma program" and do some work on your own you just have to submit work to them with grades to put that in their system.  Hope this makes sense, we didn't continue through them....too costly however we still do a lot of the Omnibus on our own and through local coops.  HTH

FWIW, I should let you know that year that he took:  Omnibus III Secondary & Primary, Logic I, Algebra I, Physical Science, Composition I & Latin I.  However, my son said he learned the most in the Omnibus classes and that is what I would recommend out of them all.

• Like 1

We've only done their self-paced history for elementary students. You might ask on the high school board though b/c I know there have been many that have used VP online classes.  

Also, do you need a diploma for some reason? There are lots of online options; VP is just one and many families cherry pick from among the offerings to get favorite teachers and classes to suit their child. 

HTH,

Lisa

My son who is labeled "gifted" did their Diploma program in 7th grade, I am saying this because academically he is very much ahead and was doing HS work at this age.  I was accepting a new baby and knew I couldn't keep up with what he needed academically so I thought I would hand him over to VP.  Anyhow, from our experience it is EXTREMELY time consuming.  My son had no time to breathe due to the 2x a week per class so each class enrolled is 3hrs. each week on top of all of the reading and assignments.  I really like the rigor don't get me wrong but to do all of their classes through them is too much!  I would recommend the areas you feel that you can't keep up with them and then do the others at home.  You can still be in their "diploma program" and do some work on your own you just have to submit work to them with grades to put that in their system.  Hope this makes sense, we didn't continue through them....too costly however we still do a lot of the Omnibus on our own and through local coops.  HTH

FWIW, I should let you know that year that he took:  Omnibus III Secondary & Primary, Logic I, Algebra I, Physical Science, Composition I & Latin I.  However, my son said he learned the most in the Omnibus classes and that is what I would recommend out of them all.

Thank you for sharing your experience. My daughter is not gifted, she is an average student with an avid interest in science and literature. I am a bit concerned that she is going into 8/7 Saxon while Veritas Press students go into Pre-Algebra. The person I talked to though said she would take Geometry for the summer after Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1. I do have a friend that is going to tutor Meghan now through summer and he is working on his Phd in bio-engineering.

We've only done their self-paced history for elementary students. You might ask on the high school board though b/c I know there have been many that have used VP online classes.  

Also, do you need a diploma for some reason? There are lots of online options; VP is just one and many families cherry pick from among the offerings to get favorite teachers and classes to suit their child. 

HTH,

Lisa

Hi Lisa!

I had a brain stem stroke on May 9th of last year. I recovered rather well. I went from being like a marionette with my strings cut and medical professionals thinking I would be inpatient at a rehab center to walking and driving in a matter of months. I do still have cognitive and motor issues. My daughter is also extroverted and I am introverted. I think she would really enjoy the interaction of the online classes and clubs (she will be 12 in Oct). I like the peace of mind of a teacher overseeing classes I feel I would have problems with--math and writing. I have a degree in social work and never had to take the higher maths. She wants to be a veterinarian.  I did look at a few online schools and I just really liked the mix of live online classes, the self-paced classes and the pass/fail or graded ones that Veritas has for students.

Are you looking at the diploma program for your rising 6th grader?

My three children did many VP online classes in 4th through 8th. The only reason I would use the diploma program for grammar school would be 1) if I could get exactly the classes & teachers I wanted, AND 2) if it was more cost effective (cheaper) to use the diploma program to get those courses than to just sign up for them without the diploma program.

Maybe decide on which courses you want your child to take, with which teachers, and which self-paced courses you want, and then crunch the numbers to see if you get a better price on those courses by going w/ the diploma program?

Personally, we cherry pick, choosing the best courses and the best instructors available across all the online course providers.  I looked at the diploma program for high school at one point, but it would have boxed us into VP courses when there were some different/better options for our particular family elsewhere.

• Like 1

I have not personally used them, but I know several families from our church who have used them and really like them. Their kids are using the diploma program and they start in 7th grade.  They usually do a latin class in 6th and then start Omnibus in 7th along with most other classes. Some of them keep math or science to do on their own in 7th so they can go at their own pace. It is quite rigorous and their kids work really really hard on academics. Some of them have done the highest honors and some take the slightly less rigorous approach.  The families are very happy with their education.  

It may be wise to start with just one or two classes the first year and see how it goes.  Also, look at Wilson Hill Academy.  Many of their teachers were at VPSA and are very experienced.  One of the families we know is switching their younger kids to WHA.  

Well we are signed up.

She is taking their self-paced history course Explorers to 1815 now and loves it!

Meghan is a rising fifth grader and will be in sixth grade for the new school year in Aug.

She is taking her math, linguistics, literature, and grammar/writing live online. She will be taking history and Bible self-paced.

We liked what we saw about their program, we will take it year by year and Meg is excited about the interaction with a teacher and other students.

They allow you to make payments on the live online classes and I think the graded courses.

My parents paid the service fee and are going to purchase her books.

We are going to go the standard route for now even though Meghan wants to go for Honors. We don't want to overwhelm her.

I am glad to hear people have had good experiences with Veritas. :)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I wanted to ask about the cherry picking instructors?

How do you know who the best instructors are? I certainly do not know.

She is taking self-paced history and Bible now and loves it. We doubled up and she is about half-way through.

Starting sixth she will take live online classes in Grammar/Writing, Saxon, Literature, Linguistics, and Latin. History will be self-paced again.

We are looking forward to the year and will share our experience along the way.

• Like 1

Personally, we cherry pick, choosing the best courses and the best instructors available across all the online course providers.  I looked at the diploma program for high school at one point, but it would have boxed us into VP courses when there were some different/better options for our particular family elsewhere.

How do you find out about instructors for VSPA classes? We are looking at their English/grammar classes. Recommendations?

And did you ever do the self-paced omnibus?

thanks!

I can't afford them, and the online classes are not available in our timezone.

I'm working with dd so she can take VP Omnibus self paced when these are on sale in late fall.

How do you know they will have a sale on  Omnibus in the fall? Is is Nov or earlier? How good is the sale?

Thanks