Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW10

Robin M

I finished Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers on Sunday, just in under the wire for co-op on Monday.  This was not your Julie Andrews's Mary Poppin's.  I did know this going into the book, but I'll admit to still being surprised.  It's hard to pull away from the movie and just look at the book.  Aly has never seen Mary Poppins the movie so hers was probably the most unbiased opinion, and she liked it well enough.  I liked the children but found it interesting that they loved Mary Poppins as much as they did.  Certainly they saw and did some magical things with her, but her attitude and actions towards them was always abrupt.  Mary Poppins herself was not a favorite.  She was very self-absorbed and showed none of the affection that a good nanny should have towards her children, especially ones that seemed to adore her.  I enjoyed the part about the compass, though I would have liked to have read the original, unrevised version.  I did not like the part about the snake being the King of the Jungle.  In fact, I would have lots to say on that but it is Christian content.  I also did not like it, at all, that Mary Poppins leaves without saying good-bye.  That's kind of a big deal in our house :)  Overall it was OK, I'm certainly not interested in continuing the story, nor will I read it to future grandchildren  :D

I have a copy of Mary Poppins on my shelf, in fact the book has been on my shelf since childhood and I've never read it!!  I LOVED the movie as a child (I was a preschooler when it came out) and still have a Mary Poppins doll who is on a shelf by me at the moment, and a sterling silver sugar spoon that my dad got by redeeming cereal box tops. But I never read the book because my mom warned me it was nothing like the movie! I'm curious now.

Angel, you should now watch the movie Saving Mr. Banks about Walt Disney trying to woo P.L. Travers into allowing him to make the movie.  It has flashbacks to her childhood and I loved Tom Hanks as Walt and Emma Thompson as P.L. Travers.  

• Like 8

Crstarlette--

A note for you although others may be interested as well. 

BBC Radio 4 has a wonderful program for those who enjoy poetry.  Jeremy Irons and Eileen Atkins read The Waste Land, prefaced by a scholarly discussion of Eliot's poem.  Although Eliot is probably my favorite poet, I have never had much success in understanding The Waste Land.  Listening to it today brought small glimpses of illumination.  The readers are wonderful; the two voices bring depth to this reading!

• Like 6

Dd and I listened to the audiobook Mary Poppins a year ago, and I was disappointed. I liked her character much better in the movie! I love the movie!

Once I went back and watched the movie again after reading the book, I felt like I could see a little of her self-absorbed-ness and abruptness more, but still...such a different impression than the book!

• Like 8

I'm having a really stressful couple of days, and we have a houseguest coming tonight, so my lovely dh took the afternoon off to help clean the house and take care of kid stuff so I could get some business done - and go to the library book sale. I scored!  I love book sales, but I'm a library-loving cheapskate so cheap sales are the best! Here's what I found:

The Creators - Daniel Boorstin.  I have The Discoverers, so I now own 2/3 of the set.

A Year in the Maine Woods - Bernd Heinrich

Can Poetry Matter? - Dana Gioia, ed

First Folio Speeches for Women (for Shannon - all the great women's soliloquys for women in one place!)

My Family and Other Animals - Gerald Durrell

Carmilla by Le Fanu - this will be my October spooky read!

King of the Dead - R A Macavoy - I never would have looked twice at this, but one of this author's books was on the list Kareni posted, so I thought I'd check it out as my library has nothing by her

The Iliad, Robert Fagles translation - a beautiful copy!

and, last but not least, a fat, 400 page Cliffs Notes on the Greek Classics! This will be perfect since Shannon is doing the Ancients next year.

Yay, I feel so much better!

• Like 10

I have a copy of Mary Poppins on my shelf, in fact the book has been on my shelf since childhood and I've never read it!!  I LOVED the movie as a child (I was a preschooler when it came out) and still have a Mary Poppins doll who is on a shelf by me at the moment, and a sterling silver sugar spoon that my dad got by redeeming cereal box tops. But I never read the book because my mom warned me it was nothing like the movie! I'm curious now.

Angel, you should now watch the movie Saving Mr. Banks about Walt Disney trying to woo P.L. Travers into allowing him to make the movie.  It has flashbacks to her childhood and I loved Tom Hanks as Walt and Emma Thompson as P.L. Travers.  

I'm glad you shared that!  But I would suggest not reading it :laugh:  You don't want to ruin it!.  I am hoping to actually watch Mary Poppins with Aly and then Saving Mr. Banks.  Aly is not fond of musicals so she is not thrilled with the idea of watching it!

Dd and I listened to the audiobook Mary Poppins a year ago, and I was disappointed. I liked her character much better in the movie! I love the movie!

Once I went back and watched the movie again after reading the book, I felt like I could see a little of her self-absorbed-ness and abruptness more, but still...such a different impression than the book!

Yes!  I was remembering bits and pieces of Julie Andrews and I do remember some of that, but with a twinkle in her eye LOL.  Somehow it didn't seem to be the same coming from her in the movie.

• Like 7

The book Mary Poppin's was not a favourite read aloud here. I liked it and wanted to read the rest but no one wanted to listen. :lol: We love the movie.

The disc world map Stacia linked was originally posted by Kim in Appalachia for dd when she wanted to start reading discworld. I just repost it occasionally because it is so fabulous. Dd's favourite is The character Death I think. She thinks I should start there or with Tiffany. She seems to agree with everyone here.

• Like 8

The book Mary Poppin's was not a favourite read aloud here. I liked it and wanted to read the rest but no one wanted to listen. :lol: We love the movie.

The disc world map Stacia linked was originally posted by Kim in Appalachia for dd when she wanted to start reading discworld. I just repost it occasionally because it is so fabulous. Dd's favourite is The character Death I think. She thinks I should start there or with Tiffany. She seems to agree with everyone here.

I agree w/ your dd's taste! Follow her lead!

Thanks for correcting me re: the cool Discworld poster/reading list guide. Thanks, Kim!

• Like 7

... to the library book sale. I scored!  I love book sales, but I'm a library-loving cheapskate so cheap sales are the best!

Yay, I feel so much better!

I love a good library book sale.  My local library is having its small annual book sale tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to going after we go to get our taxes done.  (I'll probably need cheering up at that point.)  Our adjacent bigger city is having its book sale next month; it's always a zoo but I look forward to going to it, too.

Glad to hear that you made such a great book-ish haul and that you feel better.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I started a new to me series this morning which my best friend highly recommends. It is first in The Price of Privilege Trilogy by Jessica Dotta titled Born of Persuasion. It is very intense and has me very tempted to read the end of the first one which I never do ( unless I am giving up on the book).http://readingthepast.blogspot.com/2013/08/an-interview-with-jessica-dotta-author.html

Set in Victorian times it brings history alive but it is different then most. Not fluffy although the fluffy elements are there. Very atmospheric and gothic. Evil guardian and a big scary house with a poor orphan as the main character.

The publisher is Tyndale so the adult content type references have thus far been mild. Religious content is there but different because the main character is the daughter of a famous atheist and very comfortable with her beliefs. Many twists keep this book fresh.

I am looking forward to this series with a lot of enthusiasm! :)

• Like 6

*sigh*  I just finished Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden. The end literally gave me chills, and in a good way. The story followed three different timelines - 1900, 1975 and 2005.  All blending to form a mystery which was solved near the ending.  Wonderfully written with lots of layers and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

• Like 11

I started a new to me series this morning which my best friend highly recommends. It is first in The Price of Privilege Trilogy by Jessica Dotta titled Born of Persuasion. It is very intense and has me very tempted to read the end of the first one which I never do ( unless I am giving up on the book).http://readingthepast.blogspot.com/2013/08/an-interview-with-jessica-dotta-author.html

Set in Victorian times it brings history alive but it is different then most. Not fluffy although the fluffy elements are there. Very atmospheric and gothic. Evil guardian and a big scary house with a poor orphan as the main character.

The publisher is Tyndale so the adult content type references have thus far been mild. Religious content is there but different because the main character is the daughter of a famous atheist and very comfortable with her beliefs. Many twists keep this book fresh.

I am looking forward to this series with a lot of enthusiasm! :)

That looks like a book I might want to read

• Like 5

Yesterday I read Jessica Scott's All for You (A Coming Home Novel) which is a contemporary romance with a military setting.  By no means is it a light and fluffy romance as it covers topics such as PTSD, alcoholism, and suicide.  It was a good read.

"Can a battle-scarred warrior . . .

Stay sober. Get deployed. Lead his platoon. Those are the only things that matter to Sergeant First Class Reza Iaconelli. What he wants is for everyone to stay out of his way; what he gets is Captain Emily Lindberg telling him how to deal with his men. Fort Hood's newest shrink is smart as a whip and sexy as hell. She's also full of questions-about the army, its soldiers, and the agony etched on Reza's body and soul.

. . . open his heart to love?

Emily has devoted her life to giving soldiers the care they need-and deserve. Little does she know that means facing down the fierce wall of muscle that is Sergeant Iaconelli like it's just another day at the office. When Reza agrees to help her understand what makes a soldier tick, she's thrilled. Too bad it doesn't help her unravel the sexy warrior in front of her who stokes her desire and touches a part of her she thought long dead. He's the man who thinks combat is the only escape from the demons that haunt him. The man who needs her most of all . . ."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Resurfacing briefly - wedding planning is going full force (two weeks from Sunday...) Pesach prep is started, but not where it needs to be...  The term is wrapping up and I'm doing a childbirth educator workshop this Sunday...

My reading has been in tiny snatches and I'm having trouble focusing on a book for long - so much adrenalin pumping. 

I finished National Dream by Pierre Berton - the first half of his recounting the story of the Canadian transcontinental railway.  I've started part two and am enjoying it too!

I read a Breslov commentary on Megillas Esther - which inspired the d'var Torah (words of Torah) we included with our shlach manos for Purim

everything else has been comfort reading:

Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones and 3 Sherwood Smith books (Trouble with Kings, Posse of Princesses, and Once a Princess).  Sherwood's books are beloved favorites - these are YA fantasy each with a sweet romance, a protagonist with intellect and agency but young and figuring things out... they are fun and safe and soothing (and I wish there were more of them!)  ..and, Angel, these are all safe for you!  I'm moving on to Twice a Prince (the other half of Once a Princess - the publishers split it in half, not sure why...) and maybe then Crown Duel, though I think I've reread that too many times.  Nan, have you read any of Sherwood's books?  I think you might like them.

I'm not sure if I'll be back before the wedding, or even before Pesach... I miss you all and look forward to being past the hecticness and able to relax and enjoy the beautiful memories... though that will mean my grandbaby will have been and gone, and I wish she (and her parents!) could stay forever!

I finished two books this week, Unwind by Neal Shusterman and The Ditchdigger's Daughters by Yvonne Thornton. Unwind was a fun and thought-provoking book; I wish my library had the rest of the series. The Ditchdigger's Daughters was very engaging and different from what I expected...it actually came across to me as a kinder, gentler Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. The parents in both books had similar goals and standards, but the methods were drastically different and had different outcomes. I like reading parenting success stories, and by that I mean the kids grow up to #1 have a good relationship with each other, #2 have a good relationship with their parents, and #3 find something that they enjoy and can be successful at doing. The Ditchdigger's Daughters was definitely a parenting success story - everything wasn't perfect (parents and kids both had regrets about things), but everyone was happy and still talking to each other as adults, lol.

Read so far this year...

1. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

2. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

3. Without a Trace by Colleen Coble

4. Tempest's Course by Lynette Sowell

5. Freefall by Kristen Heitzmann

6. In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke

7. Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers

8. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

9. A Season of Change by Lynette Sowell

10. An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor

11. The Riddle of the Labyrinth by Margalit Fox

12. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

13. Seek Me With All Your Heart by Beth Wiseman

14. Holocaust Survivor by Mike Jacobs

15. Unwind by Neal Shusterman

16. The Ditchdigger's Daughters  by Yvonne S. Thornton

• Like 7

Crstarlette--

A note for you although others may be interested as well. 

BBC Radio 4 has a wonderful program for those who enjoy poetry.  Jeremy Irons and Eileen Atkins read The Waste Land, prefaced by a scholarly discussion of Eliot's poem.  Although Eliot is probably my favorite poet, I have never had much success in understanding The Waste Land.  Listening to it today brought small glimpses of illumination.  The readers are wonderful; the two voices bring depth to this reading!

Irons also did a reading of Eliot's Four Quartets for BBC Radio 4. Did you listen to it? 

Plug: The Western Canon goodreads group is going to be reading and discussing Four Quartets after The Pilgrim's Progress. No start date has been set, though. Maybe late spring?

• Like 4

Irons also did a reading of Eliot's Four Quartets for BBC Radio 4. Did you listen to it? 

Plug: The Western Canon goodreads group is going to be reading and discussing Four Quartets after The Pilgrim's Progress. No start date has been set, though. Maybe late spring?

Thanks for the link!  I had missed that one although I do own a fine recording of Ralph Fiennes reading the Four Quartets.

Is it possible to read the Goodreads group discussion without joining?  I am trying to keep my distance from additional Internet groups.

• Like 4

*sigh*  I just finished Kate Morton's The Forgotten Garden. The end literally gave me chills, and in a good way. The story followed three different timelines - 1900, 1975 and 2005.  All blending to form a mystery which was solved near the ending.  Wonderfully written with lots of layers and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

This has been on my TBR list for a couple years now.  I just haven't gotten around to it!

Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones and 3 Sherwood Smith books (Trouble with Kings, Posse of Princesses, and Once a Princess).  Sherwood's books are beloved favorites - these are YA fantasy each with a sweet romance, a protagonist with intellect and agency but young and figuring things out... they are fun and safe and soothing (and I wish there were more of them!)  ..and, Angel, these are all safe for you!  I'm moving on to Twice a Prince (the other half of Once a Princess - the publishers split it in half, not sure why...) and maybe then Crown Duel, though I think I've reread that too many times.  Nan, have you read any of Sherwood's books?  I think you might like them.

Thanks!  And many happy wishes for your next couple of weeks with family  :hurray:

Ooh, I loved In The Garden of Beasts, and Devil in the White City is on my to-read list. I will keep an eye out at my library for this one! Erik Larson is an excellent nonfiction writer.

Dh has read In the Garden of Beasts, thanks to Robin's recommendation.  He really enjoyed it!  WWII is not my favorite to read about.  Too much reality.  Anyway, I let dh know about the new book.

• Like 7

I have Mort and Reaper Man on hold now. I'm sorry to hear of Terry Pratchett's passing. I found the tweets rather touching and thought I would read more about Death in his own works (I believe Death was present in one of the Tiffany Aching books--the only Discworld I've read).

• Like 7

Ooo - no I have not!  How lovely!  (Dark Lord of Derkholm is one of my favourites.  Definitely comfort food.)

Best of luck with the wedding. I hope the weather cooperates.  My sister was married in late May.  Weddings in our family are home-made affairs, so the reception was in a tent in my other sister's yard.  AND IT SNOWED.  The other sister had to build a blue poly tarp tunnel out to the tent so the delicate cookies and tea foods people had brought didn't get wet.  (In May, nothing could be left in the tent while we were at church.  The squirrels would get it.  And possibly other critters.)  For everyone else, the snow was magical.  An African guest said that rain at a wedding was a great blessing and snow must be very special indeed.  Another guest said that it was confetti from heaven.  I was on an antibiotic that made my legs and feet itch unbearably if I wore shoes.  I couldn't even wear sandals.  The snow allowed me to wear stockings and my bridesmaids shoes!  The cold also kept the bride from developing hives and being itchy, blotchy, and sick to her stomach, another blessing!  It was a memorable wedding.  May your arrangements work out as fortuitiously for your family! And best wishes for a happy future to the new couple.

Nan

• Like 8

A favorite historical romance author of mine has a free book available to Kindle readers.  I haven't read this one in a while (it was published in 1997), but I'm looking forward to re-reading it.

My Steadfast Heart (The Thorne Brothers Trilogy, Book 1) by Jo Goodman

"Colin Thorne finds his way out of a London workhouse but at the cost of losing his two younger brothers. With an uncertain future ahead of him, Colin makes seafaring his life until the inexorable pull of revenge draws him back to London. The debt owed to him by the Earl of Weybourne will be paid.

Weybourne Park has been Mercedes Leydon's home her entire life. Now serving as the estate's manager and caretaker of her uncle's two children, Mercedes knows the earl's frequent absences are what make Weybourne Park a home.

But the earl's gaming has taken its toll and she and her young cousins are faced with losing everything to a devil-of-a-stranger calling in a debt that can't be paid.

Casting caution aside, Mercedes will make a new bargain with this devil. If it's her soul he wants—or her body—she will give it to him and stake her own claim on his steadfast heart."

And this free book has some excellent reviews ~

An Untitled Lady: A Novel by Nicky Penttila

• "The social turmoil in Manchester leading to the Peterloo Massacre of 1819 is the unusual setting for Penttila's quietly stunning, memorable debut novel. A very highly recommended book."--Historical Novel Society
  • "Penttila shows a deft hand with complex, believable characterizations that accurately reflect the historical period."--Publishers Weekly
  • "Powerful. Disturbing. Heartbreaking. Smart. Occasionally gentle, often brutal. And always enthralling. An atypical setting, an actual historical event, masterfully layered characters and a sophisticated, seamless narrative -- An Untitled Lady is a standout, gripping historical romance, unlike any Regency you've ever read."--USA Today
  • "An artful blend of history and romance."--Kirkus Reviews

"Shocking family news forces Madeline Wetherby to abandon her plans to marry an earl and settle for upstart Manchester merchant Nash Quinn. When she discovers that her birth father is one of the weavers her husband is putting out of work—and a radical leader—Maddie must decide which family she truly desires, the man of her heart or the people of her blood.

An earl’s second son, Nash chose a life of Trade over Society. When protest marches spread across Lancashire, the pressure on him grows. If he can’t make both workers and manufacturers see reason he stands to lose everything: his business, his town, and his marriage.

As Manchester simmers under the summer sun, the choices grow more stark for Maddie and Nash: Family or justice. Love or money. Life or death."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

While I don't think my grandfather's family saw my grandmother as dangerous, she was definitely scandalous. Why?

She wore pants.

Whoa.  I sure hope you don't take after that side of your family!  

Pants!  What is this world coming to?  Next thing you know women will want the right to vote!

Need suggestions for a humorous, light hearted book that will make me laugh. Anyone? 

I second the PG Wodehouse suggestion.  If I'm desperate for a happy pickup then I recommend some Dave Barry or Calvin and Hobbes.  

• Like 7

Last night I finished M. L. Buchman's  Where Dreams Are Born.  I'd previously read quite a few books by this author but they'd all been military romantic suspense or a fire jumper spin off series; this was the first contemporary romance of his that I'd read.  It took a couple of chapters for me to understand the premise, but then I enjoyed it.

"One calendar. Twelve lighthouses. Two hearts.

Cassidy Knowles, the nation’s fastest rising food-and-wine critic. Her father, a small-time vintner, leaves a final gift: a calendar of Pacific Northwest lighthouses, a dozen thin letters, and a deathbed promise to visit one each month. She can handle that.

Russell Morgan, #28 on the latest “most eligible†list and the last guy on the planet Cassidy wants. Fine with him. She’s an over-privileged little twit. He sets his own course by a friend’s calendar of lighthouses. A sailing voyage that keeps guiding him to the one woman in all Seattle who irritates him the most.

Where can two hearts chart the same course? Where Dreams Are Born, in the warmth around Angelo’s Hearth."

I'd like to read more in this series.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Whoa.  I sure hope you don't take after that side of your family!  

Pants!  What is this world coming to?  Next thing you know women will want the right to vote!

I know right? Actually, now that I think of it, she was 19 when the nineteenth amendment became law.

I finished The Joy Luck Club yesterday. I was surprised at how short it was. I was listening and suddenly it was over. I had to check to make sure I didn't accidentally fast forward and skip a few chapters (that's happened to me when listening on my phone), but no, it really was over. I liked it, but I liked The Kitchen God's Wife better.

I then started listening to The Murder of the Century. It's a true crime story that's about the crime, but also about the rise of sensationalism in the press. The description of the dead body was more graphic than I was expecting and I almost gave up, but once it got past that it was better. I think hearing someone describe the victim was a bit more jarring than if I had been reading it. You can skim stuff when reading, but when listening you don't really know what's coming next. 

The only book I've been reading (as opposed to listening to) is North and South. I want to get through it before trying to read my other two current books.

• Like 6

I finished Arsenic and Old Lace - the play.  It was so funny!!  I saw the movie years ago, I'm looking forward to seeing it again to see how it compares with the play.  I think they changed the Cary Grant character a fair amount.  Anyway, I don't always find plays easy to read, but this one was so entertaining, I laughed out loud through the whole thing.  And had a hard time explaining the concept of a "dark comedy" to my 8 year old . . . 

• Like 6

Finished Coming up for Air, and made me want to re-read Down and Out in Paris and London by Orwell, so that's coming soon. I also want to read the Gilead trilogy, the final book of which (Lila?) just won a national book award of some sort. Looks up my alley. Has anyone read any of this series?

So far this year:

1 The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

2 The Motivation Manifesto by Burchard

3 The Magic Art of Tidying

4 The One and Only by Giffin

5 One Way Love: Inexhaustible grace for an exhausted world

6 Not that kind of girl by dunham

7 The Search for Significance by McGee

8 10% Happier

9 To Kill A Mockingbird--audio book.

10 Unbroken with DS-audio

11 Mastering Tung's Acupuncture--for work