Menu

Question About Applying for SSI

Crimson Wife

If you've applied for SSI on behalf of a child with a long paper trail, how much info did you include on the application? Did you include EVERY doctor, therapist, teacher, social service program caseworker, etc. who has seen/treated the child like it says to?

I'm pulling together the contact info ahead of time so that I won't run into the same timeout issue I did the last attempt I made to apply for DD last year. I've already got 24 different listings and those are just the ones I could remember off the top of my head without combing through her files (which I do need to do in order to get dates of when she was seen).

I would collect her hearing tests, current IEPs, medical records from the past 1-2 years, etc.  Also any school or private neuropsych testing that has been done.

Were you denied before?  We just got SSI for my 19 year old daughter.  It actually went very well and was quick but she is mentally impaired.

I have never completed the application. What happened last year was that the online system timed me out partway through and then it was down for maintenance for several days. By the time it came back up, DH had found a new job and we no longer income qualified for the monthly benefit. So completing the application fell down to the bottom of my priority list. But now getting her officially deemed "disabled" by SSI will help with some other stuff even if we don't wind up getting any money from SSI.

Between the autism and the hearing loss, I don't foresee them denying her status as "disabled" once I get the application in. It's just all the red tape to complete the app that's wearing my patience thin...

When we went through the process they had us do an intake interview (12 yrs ago). We took names and contact for each doctor and therapist as well as a notebook with major testing and diagnoses. Our paper trail was probably a bit shorter than yours because we were only dealing with a one year old but he already had a 4" notebook of info. I was encouraged to bring (or present) everything even if it seemed like overkill to me. The more they had to work with the easier the process.  Thankfully, for us, the process was fairly easy and he was approved the first time through.

I went in with our stuff and they filled out the application right there and copied what they wanted.  She was basically automatically approved.  That might be an option over the on line application.  I was told the on line stuff was for people who had WORKED, not kids who had never worked.  Might call your local office and check to see.

I don't want to derail your thread, but I'm confused. Our neuropsych told us to apply for disability for our dd with ASD, but when I talked to the SSI people on the phone they said our assets (home, some investments, not really that much) meant she would not be eligible.

Does SSI actually "declare" kids are disabled without providing any assistance in these cases? Is this something that varies from state to state? And might that designation get her some non-monetary help?

I don't want to derail your thread, but I'm confused. Our neuropsych told us to apply for disability for our dd with ASD, but when I talked to the SSI people on the phone they said our assets (home, some investments, not really that much) meant she would not be eligible.

Does SSI actually "declare" kids are disabled without providing any assistance in these cases? Is this something that varies from state to state? And might that designation get her some non-monetary help?

I am not totally sure but in some cases if they get even $1 of help they get medicaid and can access a lot of other benefits.

If you have a special needs child you really need to look into a special needs trust for just in case something ever happens to you/dh so that their portion is in a trust and won't affect their eligibility.

• Like 1

There are different types of Medicaid and apparently they have different benefits depending on which pot of funding covers the individual. The benefits for SSI-disabled I've been told are more generous than the type she's currently approved under. Previously, it didn't make much of a difference but now with the physical disability on top of the developmental disability it is worth jumping through the hoops.

• Like 1