Menu

Online Writing for High School --What's your favorite?

I would really like a comprehensive online writing program [or tutor] that will teach ds the main types of essay writing, as well as some research and technical writing.  He is a STEM student so writing is neither his passion nor his strength.  We did a year of IEW and it was just so formulaic that he was bored.

I have read so many of the online class posts that I just don't know how to choose one.  I also keep reminding myself that some of those post are several years old; so I don't know how applicable they may be.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

We've used Write at Home for the Research Paper module and for a full year class. It gets the job done, but it's very lite on the assignment quality, instruction, and feedback. We do a lot of additional writing and critiquing to supplement. We've had three different writing coaches at this point, and I feel like a common theme among them is far too little specific critique. If you're looking for something basic, not too challenging, and with lots of positive reinforcement then Write at Home might work for you. If, on the other hand, you're looking to push or challenge your child without having to heavily supplement, then I would keep looking.

• Like 3

We've used Write at Home for the Research Paper module and for a full year class. It gets the job done, but it's very lite on the assignment quality, instruction, and feedback. We do a lot of additional writing and critiquing to supplement. We've had three different writing coaches at this point, and I feel like a common theme among them is far too little specific critique. If you're looking for something basic, not too challenging, and with lots of positive reinforcement then Write at Home might work for you. If, on the other hand, you're looking to push or challenge your child without having to heavily supplement, then I would keep looking.

Contessa, thank you so much for the input.  I really do want him to learn how to write so I suppose I will steer clear of Write@Home.  He needs to be poked and prodded not patted on the back.

• Like 2

I would really like a comprehensive online writing program [or tutor] that will teach ds the main types of essay writing, as well as some research and technical writing.  He is a STEM student so writing is neither his passion nor his strength.  We did a year of IEW and it was just so formulaic that he was bored.

I have read so many of the online class posts that I just don't know how to choose one.  I also keep reminding myself that some of those post are several years old; so I don't know how applicable they may be.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I think what will work best is going to be based on what you and your son's expectations are in terms of what a writing class should be like.  Just a few things you may want to consider: does it matter whether the teacher requires re-writes, evaluates work critically, requires peer review?  Does the level of the other students' writing matter (in terms of peer interaction and peer-to-peer development of skills)? You can determine that, at least in part, based on class entry requirements.

People seem to vary widely in their opinions about what a good writing class is like. I have read reviews by parents regarding teachers and programs I personally would not recommend based on our experience which, of course, is based on our expectations of what a writing class should be like. I would encourage you to get as much detailed information as possible to find the right class based on what you and your son want to accomplish.  

• Like 4

Everyone is different in what they like. My STEM student has tried several things including IEW and likes Bravewriter classes. He says he still doesn't like writing, but he likes the Bravewriter way better than anything else. I like what he's actually written in Bravewriter classes which has been better writing than anything else.

• Like 4

I think what will work best is going to be based on what you and your son's expectations are in terms of what a writing class should be like.  Just a few things you may want to consider: does it matter whether the teacher requires re-writes, evaluates work critically, requires peer review?  Does the level of the other students' writing matter (in terms of peer interaction and peer-to-peer development of skills)? You can determine that, at least in part, based on class entry requirements.

People seem to vary widely in their opinions about what a good writing class is like. I have read reviews by parents regarding teachers and programs I personally would not recommend based on our experience which, of course, is based on our expectations of what a writing class should be like. I would encourage you to get as much detailed information as possible to find the right class based on what you and your son want to accomplish.  

I think therein lies the problem when trying to decide what to use for writing.  A parent can get ten or more different responses on what has worked great for one family and/or student.  Then others will say similar programs were either a complete flop or sub-par for their child and wish they had used something different.  

Come to think of it, a similar dilemma arises with math options as well.  For example, MUS was a big flop for our family, although it does have some redeeming qualities.  However, others rave about how wonderfully the program worked for them.  Saxon is another prime example of this.  

Back to writing, I've hear very good reviews for Write@Home in quite a few separate threads on the topic.  Likewise, the WTM writing courses vary per student in terms of a good fit, or not.  There is a recent thread on this topic in the Logic Stage sub-forum.

Getting back to your point, I'm discovering through this external quest I need to look more internally first to more clearly define and understand our writing goals for each child.  It's causing me to rethink some things, similar to math.  Not every child needs to go through AoPS, for example.  :D

These are some great questions to help parents think more carefully about what may be a best fit for their family.

• Like 7

I have heard good things about WTM Academy. That's what I plan to use for my STEM son in 9th. Right now he is using attuneup.com

Which Attuneup class are you going through, Halcyon?  What is the format?  Is there a live element?  What degree of interaction is there between student, teacher and/or peers?

I noticed the upper age range for some of their courses goes into the earlier High School years.  For example, the Essay Practitioner ranges from 12-15 y/o.

Thanks,

• Like 1

Which Attuneup class are you going through, Halcyon?  What is the format?  Is there a live element?  What degree of interaction is there between student, teacher and/or peers?

I noticed the upper age range for some of their courses goes into the earlier High School years.  For example, the Essay Practitioner ranges from 12-15 y/o.

Thanks,

He's taking TEP--just started so it's only been a couple weeks. He likes it! It is not terribly challenging so far but that's a good thing for my son and writing right now. It's a good, structured, well-organized class and right now, he needs a supportive writing environment for him to learn in. It has a live component (weekly webinar with kids chatting, questions asked by the teacher for kids to answer live), assignments due (seemingly) every 48 hours, the teacher is very responsive, and it has forced my non-writer son to JUST DO IT, lol. I would say TEP is good for 11 to 14. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 1

I think Rebekah Randolph is taking time off with new babies, but you could email and ask.  Here is my review:

We used Laurel Tree Tutorials with Rebekah Randolph for 10th grade composition.  The cost was $580 which we paid in 2 payments a few months apart.  There were a dozen students in the class.

Over the course of the year, the students write:

• Personal Essay (3-6 pages) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1250 words
  • Persuasive Essay (3-6 pages) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 1184 words
  • Definition Essay (2-5 pages) ex. Describe teamwork Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 736 words
  • Short Story (6-12 pages) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2314 words
  • Research Paper (8-12 pages) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 3175 words including references
  • Character Sketch (2-5 pages) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 704 words

Pros:

• Syllabus provided at the beginning of the year provides clear assignments and deadlines for the entire year.  This syllabus is available beforehand upon request.
  • Weekly assignments are given via email Wednesday morning and are to be completed by the following Tuesday midnight.
  • Longer essays are walked through starting with thesis and brainstorming/outline.  Teacher feedback is provided before the rough draft starts.
  • Students post rough drafts and final essays to website for all classmates to read.
  • Students provide 3 peer reviews of their classmateĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s work.
  • Teacher provides kind, thoughtful, pertinent, and abundant feedback on essays.
  • Asynchronous class:  no set class time.  This fit our schedule (CC/PS/Basketball) well.  Some students may prefer the interaction of a classroom experience though.

Cons:

• None that I can think of (and that is unusual for me).

Rebekah Randolph offers a fabulous course in high school composition.  Very professional.  Very worthwhile.  Highly recommend.  Writing is not my sonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s strength.  He had never written an essay longer than 2 pages before this class.  We have the ability to dual enroll at CC in 10th-12th grade here.  I would not have been comfortable signing ds up for Composition at CC in 10th grade.  I am now confident that he is well prepared.  In fact, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s registered for Honors Composition in the fall.

ETA.  Ds earned an A in CC Honors Composition 1.  HereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a comparision:

ENC 1121H Honors Composition 1

Personal essay 700-800 words

Persuasive essay 700-800 words

Definition essay 700-800 words

Timed essay

Fiction 700-1200 words

POS 2050H Honors American Government

Research Paper 500-650 words

• Like 11

My STEM student has tried several things including IEW and likes Bravewriter classes. He says he still doesn't like writing, but he likes the Bravewriter way better than anything else. I like what he's actually written in Bravewriter classes which has been better writing than anything else.

Bravewriter gets consistently positive reviews.  I considered using The Writer's Jungle back in middle school.  When I investigated them, it seemed like they would be best for natural writers, which does not describe me or my STEM ds .  So, this is a unique review coming from the STEM side.  Thank you for posting.

• Like 1

Bravewriter gets consistently positive reviews.  I considered using The Writer's Jungle back in middle school.  When I investigated them, it seemed like they would be best for natural writers, which does not describe me or my STEM ds .  So, this is a unique review coming from the STEM side.  Thank you for posting.

As a STEM mom, "I" cannot do justice teaching the Writer's Jungle or the Bravewriter way. However with the handholding of some of their family classes, it has worked well at my home. Also, as I said, my STEM high school boy has done better with Bravewriter than anything else.

As I said, I like what they draw out of him for his writing. Many programs will say "give more details", but don't really show how to do this. My all facts, no fluff boy will say "I gave details". Bravewriter is also very good at giving positive feedback. Here's a sample of some of the comments (he was writing about his favorite passion - math!):

Good! Now let's make this personal. How does this tension affect you in particular? Think about you bodily sensations - was your breath coming in shallow spurts, or were your hands sweaty? Did you look at the other contestants and wonder if you were evenly matched? Were they sizing you up as well?

<--How do you know?

<--This would be a good place to give us a glimpse inside your mind - what were you thinking? Did you know the answers also? Were you wondering how they could get them so fast? 

<--Do you remember what the question was? It would be interesting to include that information here, or at least part of it.

<--Great job being specific!

As you explore how to convey emotions,you want to think about painting a picture with words, the same way you did in your images in the Powerful Association exercise. (I gave you a few prompts in the text above where additional details could be added to create an image for the reader). You're on the right track! See if you can expand some of this content to make it present to the reader.

My high school son has taken a couple of online high school classes from Bravewriter as well as used them for one-on-one coaching for a personal essay he had to write. The writing is unmistakably HIS writing and they don't try to make him sound like someone else. He's learned both how to structure writing as well as the very difficult task of drawing words and images out of him into his writing;

• Like 8

My high school son has taken a couple of online high school classes from Bravewriter as well as used them for one-on-one coaching for a personal essay he had to write. The writing is unmistakably HIS writing and they don't try to make him sound like someone else.

IMO this is the coolest thing about Brave Writer.  (And the best thing I learned from hearing Julie Bogart speak at a homeschool conference.)  My DS -also very much a STEM kid- produced some excellent writing in the Brave Writer course he took.  I'm not sure how many of their classes we'll do, but I am grateful for the lessons they've taught us.

This year we're going to try Write Guide, using assignments from Lightning Literature. 

• Like 4

I've sent two emails to Rebekah at Laurel Tree Tutorials and have not received a reply.  I'm thinking she isn't doing any classes at this point.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Michelle,

I am going to make the same assumption as you since my email got no response either. 

Oh well, maybe in a year or two she'll be ready again.  I remember being very busy when I had a small baby as well.

• Like 1

Everyone is different in what they like. My STEM student has tried several things including IEW and likes Bravewriter classes. He says he still doesn't like writing, but he likes the Bravewriter way better than anything else. I like what he's actually written in Bravewriter classes which has been better writing than anything else.

Julie, I looked at the Bravewriter website and actually called and spoke with the founder; we signed up for Kids Intermediate.  The class starts today!!  Crossing my fingers!!

• Like 1

Julie, I looked at the Bravewriter website and actually called and spoke with the founder; we signed up for Kids Intermediate.  The class starts today!!  Crossing my fingers!!

SA Homeschooler,

Please report back as the class progresses.  I'm very interested in introducing some BraveWriter material as well.  I spoke with Julie, the owner, as well about her courses.  

I also started a separate thread on it not too long ago and got some great feedback here:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/541323-brave-writer-supplemental-or-complete-program/?hl=%2Bbravewriter&do=findComment&comment=6190599

Quite honestly, the biggest challenge for me is determining how to use it with other things.  Though it seems very flexible in that way.  I guess it is just a little too open ended to know what a full year would like.  Though I'm still considering it for next year along side something else.

• Like 2

Quite honestly, the biggest challenge for me is determining how to use with other things.  Though it seems very flexible in that way.  I guess is just a little too open ended to know what a full year would like.  Though I'm still considering it for next year along side something else.

I think this is both a big con as well as a big pro for Brave Writer. The open-endedness makes it where I can use the same techniques with multiple kids and have it look completely different.It also leaves it where I can get lost in the lack of someone telling me what to do next. Even if you don't use Brave Writer, there's a lot to be gleaned by reading her blog posts and/or getting the writing tip of the day.

• Like 1

My son is also in the Kids Write Intermediate that started thus week. We are both excited about it. I enjoy teaching writing, so I would hesitate to outsource for the whole year. But I love the idea of six week bursts.

We also use Cindy Marsch's Writing Assessment Services. I can't afford to have her assess everything, but I appreciate her evaluations. She is thorough and kind.

My son is also in the Kids Write Intermediate that started thus week. We are both excited about it. I enjoy teaching writing, so I would hesitate to outsource for the whole year. But I love the idea of six week bursts.

We also use Cindy Marsch's Writing Assessment Services. I can't afford to have her assess everything, but I appreciate her evaluations. She is thorough and kind.

Penguin, so far my son and I are enjoying the class; I hope your son is too!!

Thank you so much for mentioning Cindy Marsch!!  I was hoping to find someone to teach him the progymnasta skills without spending a whole year on it.  We will definitely be trying her services next year.  Since she also offers 6 week tutorials, perhaps we will do some sort of blend of Brave Writer class and Marsch Tutorials!

I absolutely love the wisdom of the Hive!!

• Like 2

Fwiw, Cindy's Progym materials are quite challenging.  Other options -- IEW's Theme-based Progym or the first four levels of the progym; i.e. Fable, Narrative, Chreia/Maxim, and Refutation/Confirmation using materials with dvds from Memoria Press: 1st six weeks - Fable; 2nd six weeks - Narrative; 3rd six weeks - Chreia; 4th six weeks - Maxim; 5th six weeks - Refutation; 6th six weeks - Confirmation.  You might not achieve mastery, but you will have covered the core of the progym. Expect to spend an hour per day.  You could add Bravewriter Movie Club or Boomerang for literature.  So, a credit for English and a credit for literature.  

Just throwing out ideas.

• Like 3

derecksurfs,

I guess I don't see Bravewriter classes or materials as open-ended.  If you have a high school student who has some writing background and is ready to learn essays, then begin there.  Use either "Help for High School" to teach at home or Kidswrite Intermediate followed by the Expository Essay class.  If your student has mastered essays and can write essays across the curriculum, then classes like Literature Analysis, Textual Analysis, and Advanced Research are appropriate. Scheduling 3 or 4 classes and practicing the forms that are learned is a full year.  Students prepping for ACT/SAT can work the Timed Essay course into the mix.

Fwiw, I also don't see the material in "The Writer's Jungle" as open-ended either.  TWJ teaches the student to decide on a topic, narrow the topic, write about the topic, and polish the writing to presentation level.  In the back of TWJ, Julie offers suggestions for a project per month based on the student's writing level. If you have several students working at the same level, they could each work on the same project to make life easier for the mentor.

At least before the more structured high school courses, Julie's method of teaching writing may seem a bit daunting to home school parents because it doesn't follow the typical "here is the lesson, teach it, and do it" format that is familiar to us.  Just beginning a writing piece with a free write can be mind blowing for a parent.  For example, your child loves, loves, loves wolves and decides to write a piece on wolves.  So, you ask him to write a free write about wolves, and the outcome is a jumble of thoughts and ideas.  As the writing coach, you then have to help your student sort through what is written and determine what can be used.  Is there an idea that can make a good intro, a solid conclusion?  Does the student need to do some research?  It's a different process than research, take notes, write an outline, write the body paragraphs, write the intro & conclusion, etc. etc.  However, our children have written lovely pieces using this process.  I must admit, though, that I needed to see the process modeled by Bravewriter teachers before I understood it.  II need to add that the process really makes sense to me now because what TWJ teaches is my writing goal.  If my student goes through a writing curriculum and still can't choose a topic, narrow the topic, and write an interested piece about the topic, then she is wedded to teacher-driven assignments.  

• Like 3

I guess what I mean is that Brave Writer isn't scheduled. I have to decide what online classes and how many. I have to decide what to do when we aren't doing online classes. I have to decide if I'm doing literature with Brave Writer (either online or the LA program) or go a different direction with literature - can still use the Brave Writer ideas, but without their handholding. I can do copywork and dictation, poetry, freewriting, but I don't have someone scheduling it out and saying here's what to do for the year or week by week. The complete philosophy of Brave Writer can be applied to everything we do, but I have a lot of freedom in how to accomplish those goals.

• Like 1

At least before the more structured high school courses, Julie's method of teaching writing may seem a bit daunting to home school parents because it doesn't follow the typical "here is the lesson, teach it, and do it" format that is familiar to us.  Just beginning a writing piece with a free write can be mind blowing for a parent.  For example, your child loves, loves, loves wolves and decides to write a piece on wolves.  So, you ask him to write a free write about wolves, and the outcome is a jumble of thoughts and ideas.  As the writing coach, you then have to help your student sort through what is written and determine what can be used.  Is there an idea that can make a good intro, a solid conclusion?  Does the student need to do some research?  It's a different process than research, take notes, write an outline, write the body paragraphs, write the intro & conclusion, etc. etc.  However, our children have written lovely pieces using this process.  I must admit, though, that I needed to see the process modeled by Bravewriter teachers before I understood it.  II need to add that the process really makes sense to me now because what TWJ teaches is my writing goal.  If my student goes through a writing curriculum and still can't choose a topic, narrow the topic, and write an interested piece about the topic, then she is wedded to teacher-driven assignments.  

Well, yes.  It is a bit daunting in that sense.  Though that's not always a bad thing necessarily.  That is also why in the other thread I asked you about your usage of both LToW and Bravewriter along with their potential order.  You seemed to think it best, if possible, to start with LToW which we are leaning toward this Fall.  I'll still need to figure out what to use for the literary portion.  But then we may follow-up with Bravewriter the next year.  Possibly in that context Bravewriter's 'freewriting' would have more basic form because of the foundation already laid with LToW.  Our son has already done structured writing work through the WTM's WWS I & II.  So I don't think it would be quite that free willy or jumbled.  But still, it might be better to go through LToW first which is what I'm leaning toward.

LTOW and Bravewriter are different approaches. However, Bravewriter at the high school level doesn't rely so much on free writes. I would still begin with LTOW. Don't worry too much about the literature. Just choose classics at your child's reading level. Each LTOW paper is written about an issue from a novel, i.e. Should Mole live with Rat? Should Gandalf have chosen Bilbo? A lot of thinking goes into reasoning through those issues. The first papers are basic and simple. The final paper is a complete persuasive essay, and complexity depends on the student.

• Like 2

Thanks, 1Togo.  That helps a lot.  ds13 loves Tolkein and LoTR among other works.  So I was actually toying with the idea of combining LToW with Literary Lesson from Lord of the Rings or something less formal we put together with books from that era ourselves.  Then possibly combine history from a similar era to integrate subjects even further.

Regarding 'free writing' I'm not quite sure what that means within the context of Bravewriter beyond the most obvious, literal definition.  Basically, just start writing what comes to mind and then organize the thoughts later or something to that effect.  Is that 'generally' how its used?

We have used Literary Lessons as well.  I wouldn't try to combine LToW with Literary Lessons.  Pick 8 books that you want your son to read.  He will write an essay o each of those books.  LToW I will keep him busy because he will writing a piece, which involves learning new skills and revision, while beginning reading a book for the next essay.  I would just focus on doing LToW and doing it well.

As regards free writing, you have the idea.  The student writes about a topic, a prompt, etc.  Free writes are usually timed - 5, 10, 15... minutes.  Then, the student may use that free write for a piece.  However, the free write isn't always edited and shaped into a piece.  A free write may only have one idea worth saving.  It's such a different process than the process used with LToW.

• Like 2

We have used Literary Lessons as well.  I wouldn't try to combine LToW with Literary Lessons.  Pick 8 books that you want your son to read.  He will write an essay o each of those books.  LToW I will keep him busy because he will writing a piece, which involves learning new skills and revision, while beginning reading a book for the next essay.  I would just focus on doing LToW and doing it well.

As regards free writing, you have the idea.  The student writes about a topic, a prompt, etc.  Free writes are usually timed - 5, 10, 15... minutes.  Then, the student may use that free write for a piece.  However, the free write isn't always edited and shaped into a piece.  A free write may only have one idea worth saving.  It's such a different process than the process used with LToW.

Great, thanks.  I really think you may be on to something about 'not' combining both programs.  I guess I just need to review over other relevant and interesting works from that era beyond LOTR and the Hobbit.  Are there any others your kids have especially liked which you think could make a good fit?  Or is there a good list you've used to select from?  Admittedly, literature is not my strong point.

Thanks,

I wouldn't pick more than one book by an author, although I just read "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" (in four days) and loved them once again. Every one of them would many, many issues to explore.

To begin - one of Tolkein's books

Once and Future King

Connecticut Yankee in King Authur's Court

Ivanhoe

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Hamlet

Julius Caesar

You don't need to stay in a time period though, and I wouldn't. Any good literature with well-developed characters, even children's books, are suitable. One Circe apprentice revisited childhood classics for LToW I -- Wind in the Willows, etc.

• Like 1

These are very helpful questions. Other considerations which may take private messaging a member to confirm is if you can get a feel for the personality of the instructor and the type of feedback they offer. After years of club swimming, my youngest has somewhat thick skin and he will tolerate a certain level of sarcasm and generally appreciates dry humor. The feedback must be genuine and specific.A teacher that gives unearned praise or easy grades usually gets a less internal respect. He doesn't need warm fuzzy and prefers the teacher to say," Your essay earned a four because of points 1-3. Then he knows how to fix it.

How much "busy work" is there? Other parents will be able to tell you this based on their kids' responses. Unless of course you have a student that relishes busy work.

Gratia is dead-on in bringing up the peer aspect. Know what you expect and will or will not tolerate. I have seen valuable peer review and peer reviews that are an utter waste of time. Peers that are willing and able to take the time to offer insightful critiques are a huge plus, in my book.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received an e-mail last July from Rebekah Randolph stating she was no longer going to be teaching.  I just thought I would let everyone know.  She did not say she was planning on teaching in the future, but we can always hope!

It sounds like her hands are full!  Thanks for letting us know.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to make sure I understand what you meant, did you mean that you wouldn't try to do these two programs at the same time, or just not to combine them by using the things from LL for the LToW assignments?

Thanks!

Just a comment for all of the STEM kids. We write as scientist. We write A LOT!!  We write reports, proposals, papers, presentations. We do a shocking amount of writing. If they want to be a scientist, please do NOT let them neglect writing skills!!

Pam

who wishes she'd done more writing in college :-)

• Like 2

Rebekah (Laurel Tree Tutorials) is not teaching any longer. I just got an email from her this week stating so. 

Yes, she has sent out two emails, one last summer and one last week saying she is not teaching any more and referring people to some other classes.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, she has sent out two emails, one last summer and one last week saying she is not teaching any more and referring people to some other classes.

Oh no!  Just found this by searching, because I sent her an email and didn't get a response.  Great.  Now what???

Oh no!  Just found this by searching, because I sent her an email and didn't get a response.  Great.  Now what???

What more specifically are you looking for?  Would any of the other options discussed above possibly work?  There are lots of options.  

We're now leaning toward LToW which can we'll most likely do from home though there are online courses available as well.