Menu

Dyslexic Math Issue

Alright, I know someone else here must have dealt with this.

Ds is a fabulous problem solver, but he has that backwards style of dyslexic problem solving. So with Singapore, we spend all this time learning how to calculate various types of problems with fraction operations and then ... we get to word problems. Which by Singapore's design are supposed to be solved using the fraction methods just learned/practiced. However, ds solves them easily using algebra, bar diagrams, or something else but it isn't fractions. At least no fraction problems of multiplication or division make it onto the page.

Does this matter? He does know how to calculate using fractions, but in the context of actual problems he finds a different method of solving it. In the real world, you would solve for the correct answer using any method, right? Is there a reason I should make him use the fractional concepts? Do I need better word problems that can't be solved except using fractions?

My thoughts? If he is getting the right answer and knows what he is doing then let him do it. You might work through a few together the other way and see if he understands how but honestly DS is very similar. He processes math differently but usually gets the right answer. DH did the same in school.

• Like 1

My thoughts? If he is getting the right answer and knows what he is doing then let him do it. You might work through a few together the other way and see if he understands how but honestly DS is very similar. He processes math differently but usually gets the right answer. DH did the same in school.

I agree. If you know he is understanding let him use his way. My ds *HATED* bar models and could solve the problem with out them. We had a struggle because I kept wanting him to draw them even though he already knew the answer. (auditory sequential mom here :tongue_smilie: ) I finally gave up and it turned out fine.

• Like 2

Have you tried the "Now show me a 2nd way..." approach?  That's what I do with my dd when her approach is valid or novel but not necessarily the one the book was trying to get at.  In reality bars are just moveable placeholders for pre-algebraic visualization.  He's just jumping.  *Sometimes* they jump and don't get how it worked.  If you ask for more ways to solve a problem (because of course there ARE more ways), then he slows down to think.  Then you lead him into it inductively.

As far as actual methodology, as long as his method gets him, with reasonable speed and accuracy, to the answer on the hardest problems in the set (not just the easiest), then he's fine.  

• Like 1

The ' backwards style of dyslexic problem solving', is actually an 'Abductive reasoning' process.

Which starts at the conclusion, and then identifies the variables that formed the conclusion.

Which is a higher order reasoning process, than deductive reasoning as a linear process, and inductive reasoning which can't recognize false assumptions.

It is a shame that Abductive reasoning is only introduced by using math and numbers?

As it is a reasoning process, that can be applied without using math.

Dyslexics typically have higher order Abductive reasoning, which presents a problem for them?

As they live in a world surrounded by a majority of people, with lower order Abductive reasoning?

Who can't concieve of the methods used in higher order Abductive reasoning?

• Like 2